Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,978 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? (25733 Views)

Did You Ever Regret The Choice Of Your Course Of Study? / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? / Can I Work And Pursue A Degree At The Same Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by MasterTeeUSA: 11:49pm On Mar 11, 2023
Maybe that was why I struggled with appreciating the essence of learning because I had to work throughout undergrad and graduate schools to take care of family and to pay for school. Now I am paying for school comfortably...I am not studying because I need a better job or better pay...I am truly focused on understanding leadership which is the focus of my PhD...and that has really helped even with other personal life choices. I do agree with you...struggle makes it harder which is why children of rich people often head companies because they were able to immerse and apply practical knowledge in most cases....for struggling students...na just to get better job and pay

Asour:

It helps to be in a state (one's background) or a society (one's country) where basic needs aren't immediately pressing on the individual to satiate learning.

The state of basic need makes everything else seem farfetched.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Karlifate: 11:49pm On Mar 11, 2023
royalfly:

Very well. I am totally responsible hence my regret. Someday I will be free

🆗

Good luck.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by gloryman91: 11:49pm On Mar 11, 2023
Never and In Sha Allah I will not.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Toks2008(m): 11:50pm On Mar 11, 2023
Yes.

But not the Bachelor's degree in itself but the course.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Toks2008(m): 11:51pm On Mar 11, 2023
royalfly:

I regret marrying the woman I married

It's a thing of the mind in most cases... You can still make the best out of the union.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Johel(m): 11:52pm On Mar 11, 2023
Sometimes I feel I made a serious mistake going to the tertiary institution.
I had my OND degree about 8 years ago after several months of job searching I realised I couldn't get a job with it and the OND is just as useless as ssce I decided to get a better degree I wrote jamb I got admitted to the university 5 years ago to study engineering.
Now in a few months to my graduation (if ASUU call off the strike) I feel I made a great mistake going back to school.
I feel all the efforts, time and money is be wasted.
I feel going back to school was a mirage cus after school will I still go back to the street as usual.
Do you ever regret going to school?

Why regret obtaining a degree?...it's all an experience, it adds to knowledge which is never a waste.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by OmarBashir: 11:55pm On Mar 11, 2023
Everyone no matter how successful they are always feel bad not acquiring a degree especially if they had the opportunity previously. Deep down not acquiring a certificate still haunts your friend. Why do you think most of them do go back to school either for even certificate courses after they are rich.
most of them talk about how well they don't need the certificate once they are successful but deep down it is a subject of pain and regret that they just have to say so as to quench and suppress the regret.

Chief I had childhood friends who didn't go to the university but they are doing excellently well
I remember a friend of mine during my days in the poly dropped out and went to Italy, today he is doing great also.
I feel the I 8years+ I spent ain't worth it
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Inner19(m): 12:06am On Mar 12, 2023
Getting a University degree is and would always be a good thing.

The problem is the country Nigeria that is so bad. Buhari has done his own. Now Tinubu has entered. Shey this one no be "Buhari Promax" like this

Years ago, in Ghana, their Graduate Nurses were facing this unemployment after school too. Theirs was so bad that they went of National TV to even start crying, holding protest telling the government to give them jobs so they can work and take care of their aged parents. Yet the government didn't help.

Fast forward to 2018, the UK smiled on them. Their Nurses who are equally as good as our Nigerian Nurses started moving to practice in UK. UK Agencies started carrying them in numbers to work in UK.
In UK now, Ghanian Nurses don full NHS.

Now the country Barbados have seen how skilled their graduates nurses are and they have started to recruit their Nurses in droves to Barbados while promising to give the government of Ghana some amount of money for the brain drain. Mumu Government, they also agreed grin

Well, since they can not cater and provide jobs for their graduates, let them go while we collect the millions in exchange na their slogan.

Omo, the last time, come and see the plane they used to carry thousands of Ghanian Nurses to the country Barbados. And Barbados is a very beautiful country. It's in the Carribean. It's a small island country in the Carribean. The breeze there can make u fly into the sky. Na Dem Rhianna people.

Now the graduate Nurses no dey cry again. Ghana couldn't help them but GOD did and they were smart to take advantage of the opportunity.

I read a Twitter post where somebody said it is when you travel out of Nigeria u will realise how important that degree you carry really is.

Waiting on both the private sector and the government for jobs in Nigeria is a long road without an end that can lead any graduate into depression.

People telling you as a graduate to start a business without giving u capital to start are just EVIL. Will u use your saliva to start a business?

Your aged parents are already looking at you to help them after sponsoring u in the University with all they had. Some sold lands, properties, wrappers, cars, clothes just for you to graduate and then u finish and still be begging then for urgent 2K. It's sadding. U don't want to imagine what they are feeling right now.

I just believe every jobless struggling graduate in Nigeria now should start looking for how to leave Nigeria for good.

The government has no plan for it's graduates atall. Potentials are just wasting away. It's only the rich and wealthy that can open mouth and say "Nigeria is blessed" becos their "foundations" have put things in place for them.

Yes...Nigeria is blessed but only say that when u have traveled out of Nigeria already not while u are here as a graduate drinking garri and groundnut under no light with heat with only 10k in your bank account.

Do u know some graduates have turned into Motor Park Touts (Agberos)? Some are Okada riders? Some are selling pant on their WhatsApp status with nobody buying? Some ladies have gone into prostitution?

What u don't know is that the bad politicians in the Nation benefits hugely from Unemployment state of Graduates. Read that again.

Abeg I don tire. Pray to GOD to guide you in whatever move you will make this year 2023 because HE is the only one that can give u clarity and direction.

Like someone once said, once u leave this country Nigeria, u will discover that 99.9% of the prayers you pray in Nigeria are things that the government of that abroad country has already put in place for it's citizens because they are you right as a citizen to have access to them.

It is well.

People wont come out boldly to tell u the truth. Instead they will come out and shout "Vote Tinubu" then rush back to USA and be watching things from there leaving u suffering in their hands. May that not be ur portion in Jesus name.

Right now, may God help me to leave Nigeria so I can better myself. I have become angry about it already.

Right now, I need money to have the basic requirement which is to do my "International Passport".

I know God will do it for me.

God help us all.

And please if u are a graduate, don't loose hope. Don't fall into depression. Don't go and commit suicide. Always remember that for whatever u are going through, there are million others somewhere passing through that exact same thing. You won't believe it but it is very true.

Good night and I wish u love and light.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Brunicekid(m): 12:06am On Mar 12, 2023
Olachase:
I went to a technical college 3 years (Mechanical Engineering) within 3 years I have worked with 5 manufacturing companies as Mechanical Technician, I'm currently taking home 100+ salary, by next year I will enrolled for OND then HND, my boss told me I will be needing those certificates in future time for promotions and salary bargain, I'm not ashamed I want to start my OND at the age of 27

Pls nairaland guard me Dos and Dont in polytechnic
The sky is your starting point, bro.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by pdclab1: 12:08am On Mar 12, 2023
Aladdin1:
My dear let nobody deceive you with nonsense lies. Investing in Education in Nigeria is a scam and a big waste of precious time and resources. As for me i regret investing in education. Its better to learn a skill or trade or go into business. Than wasting time and having several alnights of serious jacking and when you finally acquire the degree. Then the reality would dawn on you. That pursuing education was all a charade,a fallacy and a farfetched pipedream. That culminates in you having a degree certificate that is nothing but a 'tabula rasa'.

Learning a skill or a trade will give you the best experience, now that is school .
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 12:09am On Mar 12, 2023
Abba114:
i dont even know where my certificate is i will burn that shit whenever i see it. i start regretting since the day i collected it.
grin
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 12:18am On Mar 12, 2023
Inner19:
The problem is the country Nigeria that is so bad.

Billionaire below begs to differ and he is not in Nigeria!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad1t6ZjZaXE
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Godsonkemz(m): 12:24am On Mar 12, 2023
Degree is overrated but truth be told, degree is just a paper without an Abraham.
The money my first and second degrees couldn't give me, my hustle that doesn't require a degree is giving me much more than that.

I once counseled young applicants aspiring to gain admission into tertiaries to seek alternatives means as they pursue their careers and if academic field could not favour them, they should try other available options. Come to think of it a businessman in Onitsha who may not be familiar with books counts his fortunes in millions while the so called graduate cannot afford two square meal because of pride and overdependency on certificate.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Kunfu(m): 12:25am On Mar 12, 2023
The problem with us Nigerians is that education is not about getting a degree certificate alone so you can get job, but application of that degree should be our main priority, alot of Nigerians have degrees but are not employable coz they lack specialized skills in there area of study.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Mekas2016(m): 12:25am On Mar 12, 2023
The race of life is not to the swift but time and chance happens to us all. Luck in life has a definition which is preparation meeting opportunity. I had a degree and had a privilege to do a Masters degree in the UK and today I am happily settled and married. I tried visiting visa it didn't work, doing a degree would cost more but masters was just for one year and it paid off. Lessons take all chances casting your bread upon many waters. You can meet a benefactor and having a degree can get you a good job even here in Nigeria. But all the same success in life has many mothers. You can stil make it without a degree. It is God that crowns all our efforts. Really wishing everyone the best of success.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by socialmediaman: 12:31am On Mar 12, 2023
I had my OND degree about 8 years ago after several months of job searching I realised I couldn't get a job with it and the OND is just as useless as ssce I decided to get a better degree I wrote jamb I got admitted to the university 5 years ago to study engineering.
Now in a few months to my graduation (if ASUU call off the strike) I feel I made a great mistake going back to school.
I feel going back to school was a mirage cus after school will I still go back to the street as usual.

Have you read this book “Think and Grow Rich”?
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Inner19(m): 12:32am On Mar 12, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Billionaire below begs to differ and he is not in Nigeria!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad1t6ZjZaXE

If the "Billionaire" is coming to life the second time, let him come as an African (Nigerian) from a poor home with no resources.

He would realise that our "our struggles are different".

Even the richest man in Africa Dangote has a University Degree.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by wwwtortoise(m): 12:40am On Mar 12, 2023
pansophist:
If the university wasn't the reason why I left Nigeria and established myself in the west, I would regret going to uni, especially if I did it in Nigeria. Most of what I know is based on my elemental habit of autodidactism (self-study), as opposed to a traditional method of education.

I make money via my entrepreneurial skills, and not through my degree whatsoever. In fact, I like the social aspect of the university, to be exposed to things I won't otherwise be, but the education purely in itself can be gotten through other methods without stress, late-night sleep, expense, and pausing oneś life for four years.

I have been a silent reader and follower. I enjoy your inputs on geopolitical discourse. The storyline, history, philosophy and logic behind each argument is just superb (though I may not totally agree with all).

Reading your posts make me realize that there’s still more to be learnt.

Cheers!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by salem1996: 12:59am On Mar 12, 2023
LordIsaac:
If you give me 1 trillion naira today, the first thing I'd do is enrol for further studies. It's my hobby! grin

So I get person way de reason like me for this life too?
School is a hobby and lifestyle for me, books are really friends cheesy wink

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by tctrills: 1:03am On Mar 12, 2023
christejames:
Even though I'm not currently using the certificate I acquired to work (resigned* last year), I'm still grateful I had the certificate...

Going to tertiary institutions should not be solely for the aim of the certificate or the financial benefits the certificate can be used for but the knowledge gained which should be very vital for the society. Schools should refine you to become a better version of yourself smiley

Most of the knowledge gained in university is never put to use. I studied engineering and I have worked in 3 different engineering firms. Trust me, I never had to apply any of the thermodynamics or fluid mechanic calculations I learnt in school. It was like beginning all over again.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by pansophist(m): 1:09am On Mar 12, 2023
wwwtortoise:

I have been a silent reader and follower. I enjoy your inputs on geopolitical discourse. The storyline, history, philosophy and logic behind each argument is just superb (though I may not totally agree with all).

Reading your posts make me realize that there’s still more to be learnt.

Cheers!

Thanks, comrade.

I am always open to civil discourse, feel free to table your disagreement concerning my stance. I am also a learner, it is the truth I am after. And yes, the more you know, the more you become conscious of how much you don't know.

Like raalsalghul ask me yesterday one painful heavyweight question like that. I don't even know what or how to answer him. Can you attempt it? grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by OvertheTop(m): 1:10am On Mar 12, 2023

No Matter What,
Suicide is not an Option.

It's not a waste, the way to go these days is to go to school and also back it up with a Handwork Skill
when you have the 2 you have Guaranteed your survival

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 1:18am On Mar 12, 2023
Inner19:

If the "Billionaire" is coming to life the second time, let him come as an African (Nigerian) from a poor home with no resources.

He would realise that our "our struggles are different".

Even the richest man in Africa Dangote has a University Degree.

Well here's what YOU said:

The problem is the country Nigeria that is so bad.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Onyeziokwu(m): 1:24am On Mar 12, 2023
christejames:
Even though I'm not currently using the certificate I acquired to work (resigned* last year), I'm still grateful I had the certificate...

Going to tertiary institutions should not be solely for the aim of the certificate or the financial benefits the certificate can be used for but the knowledge gained which should be very vital for the society. Schools should refine you to become a better version of yourself smiley

Well said mate!

My certificate made it so easy for me to get to Europe today and catch up with activities at easy. The sole aim of degree shouldn't be getting a job but being informed.

1 Like

Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 1:43am On Mar 12, 2023
Onyeziokwu:

Well said mate!

My certificate made it so easy for me to get to Europe today and catch up with activities at easy. The sole aim of degree shouldn't be getting a job but being informed.

How about people whom it did not help get to Europe?
Then how about people who got to Europe without it?
And aren't there more productive and practical ways of being informed?
I guess it depends; the answer as to whether regret or not is different for everybody.
The question is, is it worth it to lock yourself away from the world for 5 or more years?
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by KrisPete(m): 1:46am On Mar 12, 2023
Not really. Even though I've not used my Bs.c cert in over 8 years now. I guess I'm ok with it being an option. You never know when I will come handy!
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by Nobody: 1:53am On Mar 12, 2023
Nope i did not regret.

My degree took me out of Nigeria.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by NwaliE01: 2:07am On Mar 12, 2023
If all you got after your 5 years in the university is a certificate, then it's useless.
Education is what is left after you've forgotten what you learned in class. . .
Your certificate is just an evidence of attendance. Believe me, one day it will pay off.
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by PoliteActivist: 2:20am On Mar 12, 2023
salem1996:

So I get person way de reason like me for this life too?
School is a hobby and lifestyle for me, books are really friends cheesy wink

Question is, is it books and learning/studying that you like or is it school. Those are two different things
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by ariesbull: 2:33am On Mar 12, 2023

Oga going to school isn't to get a job, you can also create a job

What is wrong with you guys ...can't you guys add value
Re: Do You Ever Regret Getting A Degree? by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:46am On Mar 12, 2023
DrBrainstorm:
If you come from a poor background, I think there are some courses you better not study in Nigeria even on a full scholarship. If you are not able to get a professional/lucrative course, you'd be better off acquiring lucrative skills or learning trades, then enroll for a degree after finding your feet if you are still interested in one.

This is one very important thing Nigerian youths don't pay proper attention to.

At the stage of writing JAMB, you'll hear them say "course na course", and, later on, after years of studying that course and getting firsthand experience of unemployment, they'll come back here to lament.

Every course cannot be course in a 3rd world country like Nigeria where unemployment is the order of the day.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Unilag Students Sleep Outside Over Re-absorption Forms (photos) / University Of Ilorin 2015/2016 Admission Thread / Unilag Freshers Seen Climbing Wall To Undergo Their Mandatory Drug Test.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.