Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,703 members, 7,831,196 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? (70717 Views)

Is Traveling (japa) Truly An Achievement / How Safe Is Traveling By Road At Night From Lagos To Abuja / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by ariesbull: 7:45pm On Nov 05, 2022
ogbonti:

15 million dollars ? which tree you won pluck the money from? you smoke sh iii tt?

99% of Americans will never see $1 million of their own money cash in their lifetime na him you yeye immigrant with kokoyam naija accent won come make $15 million ? are u alright ?

you think say PDP and APC embezzlement dey exist for abroad ? or you think say na as ona dey see 15 million naira wey ona no work for in Nigeria, you think say na so we dey see 15 million $$$ ?

Make I clear you sharperly, 90% of Nigerians here in America- even those doing legit work - even medical doctors and scientists, IT pros all that regardless of wether they live in New York or California where wages are high, most of them don’t have $50,000 saved in a year

Am talking about professionals oooo with experienced working hard

The average worker in America will be glad to have $10,000 saved for the year

Most travel most people do coming to naija, na credit card ooo no let nobody deceive u

Good luck to you
tell that to people wey never travel... U fit save 10k USD as in how? I don't get it

Survey finds more than half of Americans can't afford a $1,000 emergency. Bankrate, a personal finance company, conducted a survey in January to assess Americans' ability to pay for surprises expenses. The results found only 44 percent of U.S. adults had enough money saved to cover a $1,000, unplanned expense.

Tell that story to nursery school kids

3 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by tunapawizzy: 7:45pm On Nov 05, 2022
ariesbull:
then make your leaders fix it... I have travelled and I know that it is not worth it...
The lonliness
The loss of Children to culture
The hand to mouth lives
The racism
Oga una no dey shame say una dey a place wey humans like una build... Make una dey shame small small naaa
Upon that una bongo still make the money... The last time I checked the rich boys in Nigeria aren't abroad based and they are doing legit business here not washing some dead bodies, plates and security jobs and old folks
that hand to mouth thing is definitely not always true, or let me say it is the making of people themselves, a lot of people live above their means
its not compulsory to get a house where ur mortgage will be 2k per month and even if you do, it could be a good investment. And its definitely not compulsory that you finance your car...... someone that lived in ikorodu in Nigeria and drives 2 hrs in traffic to get to work will get abroad and want to live in the city center right away, who dey drive EOD for naija come feel say to drive 2018 car no good for am as e reach abroad

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by SpyChild: 7:45pm On Nov 05, 2022
viodemus:
It is, depending on where you go.

America

Pros- ultimate destination. Your connection net go wide well well. Your knowledge go increase exponentially, your ability to go other places go easy,

Cons - e hard like everywhere else, one crime fit mess you up for years, street violence is very real and under reported,

UK and Canada and Australia

Pros - almost like America but a little less capacity

Cons - smaller cities than America and crowded because of size...

Middle east
Very wicked without empathy. But good money compared to Nigeria. Education or training is mediocre compared to Europe or America

Africa
Just like Nigeria, maybe a little more disciplined, more principled, less criminals than Nigeria. They still have some mumu mumu policies and cultures like Nigeria.

Asia, india, latin America are a mixture of the rest. Like Chile, is nice.
you right bro! In America, make sure your record is clean and the sky is your limit!
If you mess up your record, you don begin get issues lol

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by ezegenigbonine: 7:45pm On Nov 05, 2022
Primusinterpares:
Please explain. How is traveling an investment?
Imagine legitimately investing 15million here in 9ja. If we'll managed that could grow to something Huge in the nearest future.

And you will be kidnapped to pay up all your hard earned money for you to be released.

It's only people that have foresight travels abroad now especially with there family. Children don't have hope in this country again, before this country will get herself, those people that are travelling now would have made it big time.

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by twosquare(m): 7:47pm On Nov 05, 2022
Don't mind him...even White citizens sweat before they can make that amount. Years and years...not easy. He thought it's like making naira...
naijanaso:

See how you are just mentioning $15m...how many of them have been able to make $1m?
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:49pm On Nov 05, 2022
Op allow people to relocate in peace provided it's not your money they are using to relocate. Me too I want to relocate cheesy grin

Before I forget, I'm looking for a young, not more than 38years old cute, and single guy based in UK and ready for marriage to come and marry me and take me with him to UK. He has to Igbo. I'm not tribalistic but when it comes to marriage, if it's not Igbo then I will embrasse my singlehood in peace.
Yes, I still have a choice. I'm that kind of begger that has a choice.
Some people will come now and call me evening news paper grin cheesy but I don't care because I know there are people who still prefer the buy news paper in the evening wink wink because that's when they have the chance to buy.
Op, no vex say i want use your post do small advert o.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by ariesbull: 7:49pm On Nov 05, 2022
tunapawizzy:

that hand to mouth thing is definitely not always true, or let me say it is the making of people themselves, a lot of people live above their means
its not compulsory to get a house where ur mortgage will be 2k per month and even if you do, it could be a good investment. And its definitely not compulsory that you finance your car...... someone that lived in ikorodu in Nigeria and drives 2 hrs in traffic to get to work will get abroad and want to live in the city center right away, who dey drive EOD for naija come feel say to drive 2018 car no good for am as e reach abroad

Oga hand to mouth lives is the teurg

You can't buy a car without credit
You can't buy a phone without credit
You can't even buy ordinary boxers without credit

You are living in credit and throughout your life you pay the credit... I don't even want to talk student loans that you pay till 50s

Wait till your 60s and 70s and understand what you did to yourself... Then your kids will not come back when you will want to come back...

In short they will not identify as Africans not to talk of Nigerians... Then it will be too late! That is if they don't drop you in hospice or some old folks home

Dude we have Been there...

I prefer my sanity... It is better to be here and run my things...

Travel when I want and come back.. Not living there!

That is if they dolt wake up to tell you they are now a trans or a gay or even les...forget them comming back and above all you have many and plenty gbese credit to pay from mortgage to child Supprt to student loan

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 05, 2022
Ikoyi blindness dey worry many people for nairaland. Once they make money in Naija, they forget how Naija was to them. They assume person wey broke is the person fault. If Naija was well, no one will japa to Euro, talkless Ghana. Why many are so blind is scary. Naija is a scary, my cousin cannot find work. His work is beg and ask for money, work no dey at all. Aunty cannot marry, uncle do not have wife because money no dey. Please park well

5 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by CuriousX: 7:52pm On Nov 05, 2022
Gerrard59:

To be honest, I cannot blame them, especially if one looks at the future of Nigeria. Some people prefer peace of mind and security, others prefer the fast lane. Like someone mentioned, the thought of driving through the night is something I cherish and owning that the chances of anything happening is very low. Nigeria is too unpredictable for me, so for those who say "you can make money here", that is one aspect of investing in the country. Before I left, I wanted to invest in having a cassava factory that would process large quantities of cassava and even begin an out-grower scheme within the locality. Only for me to read in the papers that Fulani herdsmen cut off the hands of the farm manager of a nearby cassava plantation. An aide to the governor owns the farm, and till date, the culprits have not been caught. You want to arrest senior citizens? Someone will mention Indians, Lebanese and Chinese, but don’t forget that most come with huge capital, the Nigerian government loves foreigners more than some Nigerians and these people have deep networks built over the years. This is something Nigerians who relocated a long time (esp those in the UK) should have built especially regarding entrepreneurship. But being the divided people who we are, they could not do so.

Also, the country is too divided and ethnic bigotry is rampant, so why should say an Igbo man stay when he has the opportunity to leave? Why stay in a place where the people at the helms of affairs don’t like you and keep throwing slurs at you? Worst still, this place is the world’s poverty capital. So, it means even if you would experience racism outside Nigeria, it will be in a prosperous place rather than inhaling tribal slurs in a privation-laden environment. Additionally, elites in Nigeria have second passports and can jet out at any given time. Furthermore, most of the politicians and big business people in Nigeria once worked or studied or did business abroad before returning to the country. So, there is no point wailing or whining that people are relocating, whereas Adenuga, Tinubu, Innoson, Saraki and many, many others did the same thing during their prime. Also, due to the unpredictability, even Dangote has parked his wealth outside the country to mitigate against currency devaluation. You have Islamists in the north (I once fancied owning a big farm in either Plateau or Taraba), and wanton attacks on citizens, including students who were returning to school after wasting almost eight months at home because of strike. Whereas a man who japa’d 25 years ago has his child in a good school abroad and is not worried of the child being at home because of an annual strike ritual.

But errm, Indians and Lebenase are moving to Nigeria. The same India where many are moving to Nigeria has her nationals moving in droves to the US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and even Japan.That is the thing, people would always migrate. Your parents migrated to where they are/were and if you did after graduation, you had your reasons for doing the same. People are at different levels in life, but would always put economic reasons as the number one for doing so. You don’t know the condition of the Lebanese who moved to Nigeria. Why did he not move to the US or France? He moved where his knowledge and finances can carry him to. Ditto for those who have moved to Canada or the UK from Nigeria.

Live, and let's live.

Brilliant submission. You hit the nail on the head. Everything is not about money. Peace of kind and a sense of security tops it for people like me and also very important is responsive and functional health care system.

One can be rich and die in a Nigeria n hospital, if there is an emergency because of lack of basic things like oxygen.

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by ariesbull: 7:52pm On Nov 05, 2022
ezegenigbonine:

And you will be kidnapped to pay up all your hard earned money for you to be released.

It's only people that have foresight travels abroad now especially with there family. Children don't have hope in this country again, before this country will get herself, those people that are travelling now would have made it big time.
so they have kidnapped all. Of us right....
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by BritishAirways: 7:52pm On Nov 05, 2022
Munamoqel:
see you wetin be councilor ? You can never be British ! That why they always ask where are you originally from even after speaking through you noise .

I feel like you kinda know exactly what you are talking about... You have definitely traveled out .. perhaps, you are still even there
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by SpyChild: 7:54pm On Nov 05, 2022
jimetagambo:

Even if we do McDonald job, there is dignity in labour. Some can't even find the McDonald's type jobs from where they came from.

I wonder o! Shei if person get Hin papers let’s assume say na Mac Donald’s job him just want dey do. If hin work 7 months , go naija rest 6 months flex well and pay his bills well, is that no better that just being in naija?

I will say it again; living in abroad, you will have OPTIONS which you don’t have in naija.

3 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Karlovych: 7:54pm On Nov 05, 2022
ariesbull:
some of us if you see our passport you go trip... Na business we dey go do... We son pass that rat race una dey so there

Tufiakwa
Some will also see the terrible traffic in Lagos plus the agbado urchins that harass people there as a rat race. Like I said if the top tier in the country are leaving what does that have to say about Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Buffalo2(m): 7:55pm On Nov 05, 2022
ayandee:
I like the fact that I can drive very long distances far into the night through different rural communities of Canada without fearing a thing.

No burglary proof, no gates, yet no fear. That peace of mind and serenity is priceless.

Honestly. If I will be relocating abroad for any reason, that peace of mind is it.

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by tyinfinity: 7:55pm On Nov 05, 2022
Gerrard59:

You talk say if people don't pay taxes and all sort of levies in Nigeria. No be drivers embark on strike because of multiple levies and taxes from Tinubu's boys? Whereas such does not happen here. Ever since I have been here, there has been no electricity outage, I have not seen a generator nor heard the sound, the streets are safe, everything works etc. I can count how many times I heard car horns. In fact, the one of yesterday shocked passersby as it the driver honked twice. They wondered what happened. This is heaven.

Again, if you want to stay in Nigeria, please do so. No one is mandating you to remain. In fact, you should be happy people are selling their properties to relocate. That is an opportunity to buy them off, sometimes at giveaway rates.
Where are you .please
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 7:55pm On Nov 05, 2022
SpyChild:
relocated around same time, was rough initially but with God and hardwork, it’s worth it so much now. All these people talking about kpako house abroad, loneliness and mortgage don’t seem to know jack about the system abroad. Yes, you pay mortgage to own a house, so what! If you are tired of paying mortgage, you can like sell the house next day and people are rushing it buy it and you will make profit on top plus the equities you have gathered from not paying rent instead you are paying mortgage. So let’s say equity of 5 years/at 1k (usually more than that) accumulates to 12 x 5 = 60k, plus the profit you would have made from profit of the house appreciation. You can either, go buy a new house and start paying mortgage again hoping to sell or take your money and go back to Nigeria and build yourself a house.
They keep talking about loneliness, I just laugh because, you can go to various clubs, social events etc and mingle so how is that lonely. People married with kids, are they lonely too?
Also don’t forget, they are still Nigerians, if I tire,I carry all my money come back to naija na.
You go pursue me?
Living abroad gives you OPTIONS (from work, healthcare etc) people living in Nigeria will never most likely have.
As for people thinking Nigerians abroad all wash dead bodies, I just laugh…look while looking for papers you might do those things but when you get it, the doors open and you will do respectable remote 6 figure jobs and live your dream.
Abroad is not prison, if I tire, I come naija flex like a month or 2 or 4 and go back and hustle. People live like that too.
Life is not all about flexing na.
We work and flex, living in naija won’t make you have such opportunities . So don’t be afraid to migrate. I was afraid at first becos I did not know one single person but now my connection reach number one person for the country. No lie!
Will it have been possible in Naija?
I just wanna remain anonymous here, if I post pictures una go madt lol
connect men
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by CaseSensitive(m): 7:57pm On Nov 05, 2022
If I regret ever leaving Naija make I kpai. Una papa. I mean if Naija works for you, good for you. Don't slate people who travelled abroad for a better future. Live your life, let others live theirs. Easy life.

7 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by tunapawizzy: 7:59pm On Nov 05, 2022
ariesbull:

You are living in credit and throughout your life you pay the credit... I don't even want to talk student loans that you pay till 50s

Wait till your 60s and 70s and understand what you did to yourself... Then your kids will not coke back when you will want to coke back... In short they will not identify as Africans not to talk of Nigerians ... Then it will be too late! That is if they don't drop you in hospice or some old folks home

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL these things are so funny...... one thing is sure, our sample target is different
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by jimetagambo: 8:00pm On Nov 05, 2022
Investigators:
Very important. Leave the country
Wawu

£1 = -N-1005

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by jimetagambo: 8:05pm On Nov 05, 2022
seanwilliam:
which Nigerian in diaspora has 15m$ cheesy
If I had $15m, I will Kuku return to Nigeria grin

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by TempleHouse: 8:05pm On Nov 05, 2022
ariesbull:

Wait till your 60s and 70s and understand what you did to yourself... Then your kids will not coke back when you will want to coke back... In short they will not identify as Africans not to talk of Nigerians... Then it will be too late! That is if they don't drop you in hospice or some old folks home

You had just made the most sensible submission.

No place is like home.

People who relocated and come back later (if they are not divorced) tells you their regret of missing out
when the Children abandoned them and loneliness sets in.

Insecurity is the worst thing that can drives people out, but if you can manage that with grace then stay behind.

Afterall, not everyone will be granted visa, and not everyone will be contented moving abroad as well !

However, whatever your choice, pray for good luck!

2 Likes

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by tunapawizzy: 8:06pm On Nov 05, 2022
CaseSensitive:
If I regret ever leaving Naija make I kpai. Una papa. I mean if Naija works for you, good for you. Don't slate people who travelled abroad for a better future. Live your life, let others live theirs. Easy life.
I also think a lot of people know people who live abroad illegally and still struggling with stability
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Moniter0: 8:06pm On Nov 05, 2022
Post cancelled
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by frozen70(f): 8:08pm On Nov 05, 2022
VULCAN:
Only if the woman has visa to be going and coming.

If only you know how many guys are eating those wives whose husbands are abroad you will understand me.

It depends on individuals

Not everyone is loose

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by LastProphet: 8:09pm On Nov 05, 2022
Primusinterpares:
Please explain. How is traveling an investment?
Imagine legitimately investing 15million here in 9ja. If we'll managed that could grow to something Huge in the nearest future.

Depends on who you are in Nigeria, your skills or business. You can invest the 15m on a piece of land then gov Wike revoke your land as he did to Atiku campaign mgr in PH recently. I invested 10m somewhere in 2019 a minister changed the entrance to that street because it disturbs his entourage. See I'm not talking of Fulani yet oh. Nigeria is a useless country but you can still make money there but don't be fooled how risky your success is.
I'm from Kogi state and can tell you for free that if you go into a business any of yaya Bello boys are interested in you will be killed and Bello will publish how Natasha Akpoti is the one that did it.
So don't be fooled

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by BriskhoffBox: 8:09pm On Nov 05, 2022
[quote author=Creamcrest post=117994059]
Sharrap, Nigeria is not nearing collapse,it's still one of the best countries on earth.

Nigerians in Canada and America are even complaining of not being able to build wealth.

Shootings and gun violence also happens in America and Canada.

Some Nigerians here have 24hrs power using inverters and solar.

Most Nigerians can easily build their houses while you niggas in canada and US will be paying for mortgages for several years.[/quote

Bro.....what shit did you smoke? I hope you presently live in your house that you easily built and you have it easily powered 24hrs with Inverters and Solar. You are such a clownish dawg!
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by ArcChu: 8:09pm On Nov 05, 2022
Dollar is going for 1000k. Convert the N20m to dollar

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by frozen70(f): 8:10pm On Nov 05, 2022
grandstar:

Such long distance marriages aren't the best. It encourages adultery. Let's not pretend.

I know a guy who is based here and his family overseas. The man is a chronic womaniser. How do you know your wife too isn't cheating.

Also, there's the issue about kids. A father's love and firm hand is very necessarry for the children. You can't hug your child over the Internet.

If the economy is good it wouldn't have been so

1 Like

Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Sirchiboy: 8:11pm On Nov 05, 2022
ayandee:
I like the fact that I can drive very long distances far into the night through different rural communities of Canada without fearing a thing.

No burglary proof, no gates, yet no fear. That peace of mind and serenity is priceless.

Can you adopt me as your security man or cleaner?
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Mindlog: 8:13pm On Nov 05, 2022
ariesbull:
we have been there... Dude when you start paying folks hourly come let's talk... I dolt talk to hourly earning folks...

Like noted earlier, low cognitive ability.

If someone bills you $58 per hour for their skillset, your type go become disoriented. cheesy
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by Primusinterpares(m): 8:14pm On Nov 05, 2022
MISSCONGENIALITY:
Op allow people to relocate in peace provided it's not your money they are using to relocate. Me too I want to relocate cheesy grin

Before I forget, I'm looking for a young, not more than 38years old cute, and single guy based in UK and ready for marriage to come and marry me and take me with him to UK. He has to Igbo. I'm not tribalistic but when it comes to marriage, if it's not Igbo then I will embrasse my singlehood in peace.
Yes, I still have a choice. I'm that kind of begger that has a choice.
Some people will come now and call me evening news paper grin cheesy but I don't care because I know there are people who still prefer the buy news paper in the evening wink wink because that's when they have the chance to buy.
Op, no vex say i want use your post do small advert o.
This is not meant for this
Re: Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? by motionarena: 8:14pm On Nov 05, 2022
frozen70:

Is alright

Imagine, you traveled out send 15 million Dollars for building an estate, put it on rent and enjoy the inflow of money
Who go giv u 15m dollars

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (43) (Reply)

World’s Largest Aircraft Leaves Its Hangar For The First Time(pictures) / The Man Who Caused A Scare At The Lagos Airport Today Pictured / Kunle Adeyanju Arrives Africa With Bike (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.