Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,302 members, 7,815,547 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! (44086 Views)

Is N150,000 Monthly A Good Salary ? / 774,000 Jobs: Beneficiaries Salary Is N60,000 Monthly - Festus Keyamo / Monthly Salary Of A Federal Road Safety (FRSC) Officer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Rubyjade: 10:48pm On Jan 15, 2023
Osaremwantaelvi:
Me I need a job now self
What can you do? Would you like to join a job group?
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Osaremwantaelvi(m): 10:49pm On Jan 15, 2023
Rubyjade:
What can you do? Would you like to join a job group?

Y not I would love to.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by colossus91(m): 10:50pm On Jan 15, 2023
My first job after graduation was not up to 30k in 2016, Npower helped but now I av a job that pays me well cos I didn’t despise my lil beginning. See get the experience, it will speak for u later on. My 2 kobo tho.

2 Likes

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Busybrain2233: 10:53pm On Jan 15, 2023
Rubyjade:
shocked Are you for real?
Yes dear, times are really tough mehn cry

2 Likes

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Rinoxy: 10:54pm On Jan 15, 2023
Go to the streets and hear for yourselves; over 70% of Nigerians do not earn up to 100k monthly.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Rinoxy: 11:05pm On Jan 15, 2023
translux:
I have been on N120k salary for about three years now, the salary was increased to N170k this January 2023 and before then I have built a very good house with 2 cars, the source of funds is from the same job but not the salary.
I thought it's from the salary, I for make u a financial mentor immediately.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by lavylilly: 11:43pm On Jan 15, 2023
A Top FMCG Company is hiring interns for these three job roles:

1. Procurement Intern (Oregun)
2. Maintenance Intern (Omole)
3. Warehouse Intern (Oregun)

Applicants should reside around the stated location.

REQUIREMENTS
* BSC/HND in Building, Quantity Survey, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and any other related courses with minimum of Second Class Lower Division.

* Sound knowledge of Microsoft tools and soft skills. Candidates should be ready to resume immediately.

Kindly send your CV to sourcinghr8@gmail.com
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Mybiznesshelper: 1:49am On Jan 16, 2023
Exportation Business Master Class.

Join the Exportation Business Master Class and learn how to
export easily available products from Nigeria and get paid in foreign currencies.

There are many items that can be exported from Nigeria but in this training series, we will be focusing on easily available materials/products that are not expensive to acquire, which thereby reduces the amount required for you to start the business.

Participants will be awarded with a certificate at the end of the training.

At the end of the training session, participants will become mentally and physically prepared to start the exportation business.

Please click on the link below to download the brochure and to view the training dates.
https://www.elevationbusinessschool.com/

https://www.elevationbusinessschool.com/exportation-business-brochure-download/
or
https://www.elevationbusinessschool.com/calendar/

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by cayorday89(m): 4:00am On Jan 16, 2023
ntipro:
I am not working for anyone ever again in Nigeria.
My last role as a teacher nearly made my life miserable.
Most Nigerian bosses are evil.

Business is the way.
In a nutshell, you will experience what your bosses experienced and you will be miserable to yourself also, it's then you will understand Nigeria happens to us all.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Franklydes(m): 5:06am On Jan 16, 2023
Go become President na.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by NickD(m): 6:14am On Jan 16, 2023
freddie009:

I had the same thought, I was like it had to be an engineering job or nothing. My friends were angry at me, when they give me a job link I would ask if is an engineering job. I didn't go for the concluding stage of UBA interview because I wanted to complete my master probably it will give me a better chance of landing a job in the oil and gas sector, 11 years after graduation. Las las nah teaching I end up.

In addition: I am an NSE member (Nigeria society of Engineers) was on my way on getting my COREN that's when I decided to step on the breaks.
Lol I know the feeling. Had same mentality...oil and gas or nothing but it didn't stop me from applying to other fields. Was teaching from 2011 to 2020 while running all my PG programs..as soon as I concluded my Ph.D landed my first oil and gas job in 2020, after a year I landed my 2nd role in the industry.

People shouldn't limit themselves, start with whatever you have while hoping for a better tomorrow. Opportunity meets preparedness.

2 Likes

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Robenna(m): 6:25am On Jan 16, 2023
Penny wise,pounds foolish
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Peterrio: 6:25am On Jan 16, 2023
IyaTola:
I cannot take up that job, N150,000 monthly salary is too small!

Last year, a fresh graduate rejected the job I got him

I asked him to take the job for 6 months so that he can gather experience for his next job, but he didn't listen

He is still at home trusting God

I have had to advise a lot of graduates and professionals regarding whether to take up a role where the salary is small.

Some think the salary is belittling and not up to their worth.

I have also seen a lot of people on social media advising graduates not to settle for less which I disagree.

Your decision depends on whether you have a job at hand or not.

I believe it's better to accept a job with low salary than sitting at home to do nothing.

Once the salary can cater for your feeding and transport, you are fine.

No experience is a waste and no matter how bad a job is, you will learn something even if it is tolerance and perseverance.

You have an experience to point to.

You can't ask for a lion share (Salary) with a fish brain (no experience)

At the earliest days of my career,

I was living in Mowe -Ibafo axis, Arepo to be precise, working at Yaba and the salary was small,

I do wake up as early as 4:30am to enjoy cheap transport to Ojota

And BRT to Yaba were cheaper compared to 14 seater Bus.

Then, I do take standing in the BRT bus because it is cheaper than taking a seat

Infact standing was my hobby ��

I will get to the office 6am and wait till 8am when other staff will resume.

The pay was small, I worked as late as 8pm but the experience was BIG and worth it.

Later, I joined another company with double salary.

The rest is history today,

If you are in doubt of taking a job because of the pay, accept the offer,

Give your best, learn as much as you can, don't get carried away and keep your eye on your goal.

Remember, if you are too big to do small things, you will be too small to do big things

Do you agree?

Most people don't have REALISTIC salary and Job expectations

From your personal story, you've given the impression that you earn 1 million naira monthly, without showing the entire timeline it took to reach such levels

150k for starters is an excellent opportunity

500k for experienced persons is excellent too

The vast majority of people don't make this much
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Anchortargetk(m): 8:23am On Jan 16, 2023
dazzlingd:
Iyatola, not everybody will suffer in this life.
When I first finished school, I refused to apply to some kind jobs. Abeg
The only time u should overlook salary is when the job has a very good career development and will stand out on your CV.
But working for one Nigeria company that will suck your blood and time in the name of experience that nobody even knows the name of the company does not worth it.
For example, I’d advise a fresh graduate to take a job in kpmg or any of the big four even if the pay maybe low for a start.
Wicked Advise...And U think it is easy to take a Job in Kpmg ...mtchewww

1 Like

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by grandstar(m): 9:13am On Jan 16, 2023
I will always advise fresh graduates to see their first 5 years after graduation as their time to develop a foundation in the work place.

Those 5 years will count as experience and ypu will even gain knowledge, even if the pay is small and use that experience to gain high paying jobs. Also, during that 5 years period, you'd have added further qualifications to your resume which might be a Masters, or diploma courses or even tech skills. All will prove invaluable in the job market.

My cousin is presently staying with me and did her youth service in 2017. It has been a tough 5 years for her since 2018. From late 2022, I noticed things have greatly improved. She has more money to spend and she's increasingly thinking of settling down. She says she does not plan to stay here with me for too long.

Once Buhari is gone and Buharinomics is done away with, the economy should commence econom8c growth of at least 5% annually, from the dismal 1.1% it has languished under Buhari.

With faster economic growth comes higher demand for workers. An increase in the number of jobs will mean less unemployment in the market and better opportunities for new school leavers.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Olumaeme: 10:15am On Jan 16, 2023
It depends on the kind of job and industry. Also, the earning from other sources of the person.

I cannot take a job of 150k also because I can make x 5 of that sitting on my bed.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Stargurl20(f): 11:06am On Jan 16, 2023
freddie009:

I had the same thought, I was like it had to be an engineering job or nothing. My friends were angry at me, when they give me a job link I would ask if is an engineering job. I didn't go for the concluding stage of UBA interview because I wanted to complete my master probably it will give me a better chance of landing a job in the oil and gas sector, 11 years after graduation. Las las nah teaching I end up.

In addition: I am an NSE member (Nigeria society of Engineers) was on my way on getting my COREN that's when I decided to step on the breaks.

Made up my mind to start from anywhere after grad. By God's grace, I will graduating this year, and I've always have this mentality that things cannot be all rosy after grad, especially as someone who has come from not so we'll to do home. May God help me.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Cathmira: 11:57am On Jan 16, 2023
Please connect me i need a job, any job at all
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Drsnives(m): 12:23pm On Jan 16, 2023
Rubyjade:
God, what did I just read cry, are you joking or what?
My brother I graduated since 2018, finished serving 2020

2 Likes

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Karlifate: 12:36pm On Jan 16, 2023
freddie009:

Which of the Engineering did you study, in your first degree?
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Karlifate: 12:39pm On Jan 16, 2023
Gadafii:
In 2017, I took up a particular job in a bank as productivity support officer, then the pay wasn’t worth it, because I would spend close to 70 percent on transport and feeding, luckily for me I met a colleague there on my first day that’s living in my neighborhood, she drives too, so transport was sorted, i was paid around 40k then, the experience was worth it, above all on a good month I could make twice my salary, because I worked with the vendors and they always wanna be in my hood book lol, I made lots of contacts , that when I left the job, some of them were helpful, guess what guess I learnt so much on how to handle simple computer issues, networks and connection, because I worked with the IT GUYS and they were very ready to teach me their job because they felt I would be able to fix some of these issues when they are not around, I really enjoyed my job until the 3rd year when I decided I had to move in because there was no career progress for me, even tho the money was coming in steady every month,and I had the opportunity to earn some online certifications.
till today some of this vendors and IT guys still recommend me for jobs, but I can’t work now because I have gone back to further my education

Sometimes it’s not really about the pay, but the experience, exposure and connections

Kindly punctuate well, in your future write-ups.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by OVB123: 12:46pm On Jan 16, 2023
ntipro:
I am not working for anyone ever again in Nigeria.
My last role as a teacher nearly made my life miserable.
Most Nigerian bosses are evil.

Business is the way.
Where is the money to start business.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by lexylexy(m): 12:52pm On Jan 16, 2023
Lisaint:
I don’t know if this is the right place to share!
But i will share my not to long story here!
I’m also a fresh graduate
I rounded up nysc in july 7 22.
August 21 i picked up a loan officer job for the sake of the experience and not to be idle,
The job has been so stressful as I’m the only loan officer
Going to field and all
We don’t observe public holiday
No off at all
Resume 7:30am to close late in the evening…
Now i reason
Its time to move on
The work is not giving me the chance to seek development somewhere else ( as in self development)
Its not like have gotten another job somewhere else, cause this one is not even giving me the chance..
Someone might says its not easy getting a job out there!
Buh then I want to leave because it’s really tying me me down!
I don’t even have time for myself
Couple with the fact that i work with an unappreciative boss!

I just want the best for myself
Did anyone think I’m taking a wrong step?

Hello bro, which loan company do you work for? I need loan urgently. Can I send you a dm?
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by felixxy(m): 1:40pm On Jan 16, 2023
I agree with u 100%. I personally go for the value before the money. what I mean is that I go for more knowledge and experience rather than what i will be paid.

IyaTola:
I cannot take up that job, N150,000 monthly salary is too small!

Last year, a fresh graduate rejected the job I got him

I asked him to take the job for 6 months so that he can gather experience for his next job, but he didn't listen

He is still at home trusting God

I have had to advise a lot of graduates and professionals regarding whether to take up a role where the salary is small.

Some think the salary is belittling and not up to their worth.

I have also seen a lot of people on social media advising graduates not to settle for less which I disagree.

Your decision depends on whether you have a job at hand or not.

I believe it's better to accept a job with low salary than sitting at home to do nothing.

Once the salary can cater for your feeding and transport, you are fine.

No experience is a waste and no matter how bad a job is, you will learn something even if it is tolerance and perseverance.

You have an experience to point to.

You can't ask for a lion share (Salary) with a fish brain (no experience)

At the earliest days of my career,

I was living in Mowe -Ibafo axis, Arepo to be precise, working at Yaba and the salary was small,

I do wake up as early as 4:30am to enjoy cheap transport to Ojota

And BRT to Yaba were cheaper compared to 14 seater Bus.

Then, I do take standing in the BRT bus because it is cheaper than taking a seat

Infact standing was my hobby ��

I will get to the office 6am and wait till 8am when other staff will resume.

The pay was small, I worked as late as 8pm but the experience was BIG and worth it.

Later, I joined another company with double salary.

The rest is history today,

If you are in doubt of taking a job because of the pay, accept the offer,

Give your best, learn as much as you can, don't get carried away and keep your eye on your goal.

Remember, if you are too big to do small things, you will be too small to do big things

Do you agree?
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Jalo60(m): 2:56pm On Jan 16, 2023
I learned some much from this thread, Great minds everywhere sharing their different experiance. Kudos to you all.
Your brother is a recent graduate precise a Geologist, Any sort of connection, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by ntipro: 3:30pm On Jan 16, 2023
cayorday89:

In a nutshell, you will experience what your bosses experienced and you will be miserable to yourself also, it's then you will understand Nigeria happens to us all.
Trash. Absolute trash. I know Nigerian bosses that treat their employees well. It's a thing of choice. We are just so inclined to negativity in Nigeria. Fact is, most Nigerian Bosses are taking advantage of the high rate of unemployment to frustrate their workers.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by shalyboye(m): 3:48pm On Jan 16, 2023
[quote author=felixxy post=120087691]I agree with u 100%. I personally go for the value before the money. what I mean is that I go for more knowledge and experience rather than what i will be paid.

I also stay at mowe axis, do u still live around.?
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Karlifate: 3:49pm On Jan 16, 2023
Judolisco:
Me dat left Niger state to Abuja to take up a job of 60k....He is jst lazy....

But Niger State is beside Abuja

OR

Is it Niger Republic shocked
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by shalyboye(m): 3:49pm On Jan 16, 2023
felixxy:
I agree with u 100%. I personally go for the value before the money. what I mean is that I go for more knowledge and experience rather than what i will be paid.

I also stay at mowe axis, do u still stay around Arepo?
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Karlifate: 4:11pm On Jan 16, 2023
Jalo60:
I learned some much from this thread, Great minds everywhere sharing their different experiance. Kudos to you all.
Your brother is a recent graduate precise a Geologist, Any sort of connection, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Check the attached images below.

1 Like

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by studyless123: 6:23pm On Jan 16, 2023
DesChyko:

True. Most Nigerian bosses are evil. I am a teacher too and I have a lot of evil things to say about my boss. That's if I choose to ignore all the positives he's had in my life. This is an experience that probably goes the opposite direction of yours.

Nice. Focus on the positives.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by writeprof(m): 7:59pm On Jan 16, 2023
DesChyko:

True. Most Nigerian bosses are evil. I am a teacher too and I have a lot of evil things to say about my boss. That's if I choose to ignore all the positives he's had in my life. This is an experience that probably goes the opposite direction of yours.

I started as a lowly graduate teacher of a subject in a private school; but my thirst for self development meant my other skills in tech and guidance/counselling were offered for free to the school and students.

Didn't take long for the students to take to me and I took to them. Soon, I began to have more audience with the boss and took over everything tech-related in the school (website checks, electrical faults, DIYs tutorials, name it) and still teaching.

In addition, my knowledge of vast subject and willingness to read made me a buffer for many subjects. If the teacher is unavailable and I'm free, I'd cover for the subject. A number of staff then said it's eye service but I don't really care. I was doing what I love for a not-so-good pay. Soon, I became the V.P.(Acad) the year before COVID. and you could say it was a good achievement.

During COVID, school shut down for 6 months, my boss paid me salary all through, not 100% salary but better than nothing. The next year, my boss accepted my plea for an increment due to the rising costs and jacked up my current salary then by 50%, making me the highest paid in the school. I forgot to mention that the gifts in cash and kind I get from my boss could be worth up to my three-month salary per year in terms of value. He moved on to pay all the expenses for me to partake in a state-wide competition which I emerged first-runner up, putting the LGA on state map and the school too.

The presence of these achievements in my CV positioned me to land a remote opportunity whose pay dwarfs what I earn at the school by almost 400% in terms of value. My boss agreed to allow me spend only half the normal school time after which I leave to begin the remote task. Note that he didn't reduce my salary; neither did any of the benefits I get cut down.

The first 3 alerts I got this year were from former students I taught; who for one random reason or the other, thought of reaching out. One of my female students who graduated in 2019 has my account sitting in her DM now as per her request yesterday. Not to mention the many ways, many of them used their capacity to help me here and there (even to recommend/purchase quality electronic gadgets or jump those humongous queues at MTN Office grin). My birthday is tomorrow. I can't remember the last time I actually planned to celebrate my birthday. January tough. But not these students/former students. Every year for the past 5 years, they always turn up with plans.

I am Igbo, and we're quite few in my organization, my boss is Yoruba. I could have all sorts of petty things to say about him. I'm sure many of my colleagues will have a lot lot more to say about him. But in the things that matter, he has been a catapult to the very high grounds I find myself today and that is all that really matters to me (not petty things and not other people's opinion of him).

It's a lengthy read but I don't know who is sitting in a similar bus headed in a similar direction. It'll probably work out sooner or later. Just don't stop doing something legit. Anything.

This is motivational OP. Thank you for sharing it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Man Seeking Job As A Driver Crashes The Company's Car During His Job Interview / Borno School Needs 5000 Teachers / Theois Bank Job Invitation - ASO Savings and Loans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.