Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! (44061 Views)

Is N150,000 Monthly A Good Salary ? / 774,000 Jobs: Beneficiaries Salary Is N60,000 Monthly - Festus Keyamo / Monthly Salary Of A Federal Road Safety (FRSC) Officer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by MumEmdy(f): 8:01am On Jan 11, 2023
150k and someone said it's too small? some people are just "born with a golden spoon in their mouth". When some of us are looking for Jobs that will keep us preoccupied and busy.

May 2023 be nice to all of us seeking for jobs

IyaTola God will reward you for creating job awareness and opportunities for many on this forum.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Dracula123: 8:59am On Jan 11, 2023
I'm a chartered accountant working for less that amount........have almost 3 years experience now. So, I'm ready when the big opportunity comes

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Vintage100(m): 9:46am On Jan 11, 2023
colossus91:

What’s your qualifications?

B.sc Accounting.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by larryUG(m): 9:50am On Jan 11, 2023
He was just plain stupid. 150k is a lot of money for a grad with no experience. Studied engineering, got a job years back in hotel with 120k base pay, an official car for marketing and some bonus monthly based on pay. I left the job for an engineering trainee offer of just 50k. Gathered a lot of experience and moved to another job of 120k. Got promoted to 300k after a short while and gathered even more experience. Today what i earn monthly is in USD. So rejecting a 150k job for a starter is not wise.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by emee701(m): 10:18am On Jan 11, 2023
larryUG:
He was just plain stupid. 150k is a lot of money for a grad with no experience. Studied engineering, got a job years back in hotel with 120k base pay, an official car for marketing and some bonus monthly based on pay. I left the job for an engineering trainee offer of just 50k. Gathered a lot of experience and moved to another job of 120k. Got promoted to 300k after a short while and gathered even more experience. Today what i earn monthly is in USD. So rejecting a 150k job for a starter is not wise.
Is the job you earn usd an engineering job?
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by larryUG(m): 10:56am On Jan 11, 2023
emee701:
Is the job you earn usd an engineering job?
Of course.
Not in Nigeria though, but my point is i could not have gotten it without the experience I gained starting out with the Trainee jobs to other roles.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by emee701(m): 12:13pm On Jan 11, 2023
larryUG:

Of course.
Not in Nigeria though, but my point is i could not have gotten it without the experience I gained starting out with the Trainee jobs to other roles.
Guessed as much because engineering jobs dont pay high in nigeria except oil and gas

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by larryUG(m): 12:41pm On Jan 11, 2023
emee701:
Guessed as much because engineering jobs dont pay high in nigeria except oil and gas
of course it is O&G
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by DamiAyo17(f): 1:41pm On Jan 11, 2023
Pls, I need a job....Hnd accounting
I am based in Kubwa, Abuja

3 Likes

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by ntipro: 1:44pm On Jan 11, 2023
DesChyko:

True. Most Nigerian bosses are evil. I am a teacher too and I have a lot of evil things to say about my boss. That's if I choose to ignore all the positives he's had in my life. This is an experience that probably goes the opposite direction of yours.

I started as a lowly graduate teacher of a subject in a private school; but my thirst for self development meant my other skills in tech and guidance/counselling were offered for free to the school and students.

Didn't take long for the students to take to me and I took to them. Soon, I began to have more audience with the boss and took over everything tech-related in the school (website checks, electrical faults, DIYs tutorials, name it) and still teaching.

In addition, my knowledge of vast subject and willingness to read made me a buffer for many subjects. If the teacher is unavailable and I'm free, I'd cover for the subject. A number of staff then said it's eye service but I don't really care. I was doing what I love for a not-so-good pay. Soon, I became the V.P.(Acad) the year before COVID. and you could say it was a good achievement.

During COVID, school shut down for 6 months, my boss paid me salary all through, not 100% salary but better than nothing. The next year, my boss accepted my plea for an increment due to the rising costs and jacked up my current salary then by 50%, making me the highest paid in the school. I forgot to mention that the gifts in cash and kind I get from my boss could be worth up to my three-month salary per year in terms of value. He moved on to pay all the expenses for me to partake in a state-wide competition which I emerged first-runner up, putting the LGA on state map and the school too.

The presence of these achievements in my CV positioned me to land a remote opportunity whose pay dwarfs what I earn at the school by almost 400% in terms of value. My boss agreed to allow me spend only half the normal school time after which I leave to begin the remote task. Note that he didn't reduce my salary; neither did any of the benefits I get cut down.

The first 3 alerts I got this year were from former students I taught; who for one random reason or the other, thought of reaching out. One of my female students who graduated in 2019 has my account sitting in her DM now as per her request yesterday. Not to mention the many ways, many of them used their capacity to help me here and there (even to recommend/purchase quality electronic gadgets or jump those humongous queues at MTN Office grin). My birthday is tomorrow. I can't remember the last time I actually planned to celebrate my birthday. January tough. But not these students/former students. Every year for the past 5 years, they always turn up with plans.

I am Igbo, and we're quite few in my organization, my boss is Yoruba. I could have all sorts of petty things to say about him. I'm sure many of my colleagues will have a lot lot more to say about him. But in the things that matter, he has been a catapult to the very high grounds I find myself today and that is all that really matters to me (not petty things and not other people's opinion of him).

It's a lengthy read but I don't know who is sitting in a similar bus headed in a similar direction. It'll probably work out sooner or later. Just don't stop doing something legit. Anything.

You worked in a sane environment.
And your boss is great too.

Mine was just the opposite.
The school I served before I call it a quit is structured in a way that the teachers are seen to be suspects. You don't have to relate closely to any student for the fear that the parents will bankroll you. Parents-teachers relationship is non existent. Students see their teachers as servants and always threaten them with sack.
The boss is a thorough sadist, a narcissist. He never inspire you to work. He don't bring up new ideas. All he knows is to attack people's reputation in public. He is so interested in gossips and accusation and works on each one tabled before him without verifying the facts.
Ultimately, the school was going down. Their WAEC was seized because of malpractice, a fact he knows, something he could have managed before it snowballs but he kept blaming the innocent teachers. Then, the chicken came home to roost. He was sacked and calm was restored. Teachers he wickedly sacked or those that resigned because of his excesses were brought back.

In all, environment matters in all we do.
People don't do well in a toxic environment. Toxic environment are creations of poor managers.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by ntipro: 1:47pm On Jan 11, 2023
DesChyko:

True. Most Nigerian bosses are evil. I am a teacher too and I have a lot of evil things to say about my boss. That's if I choose to ignore all the positives he's had in my life. This is an experience that probably goes the opposite direction of yours.

I started as a lowly graduate teacher of a subject in a private school; but my thirst for self development meant my other skills in tech and guidance/counselling were offered for free to the school and students.

Didn't take long for the students to take to me and I took to them. Soon, I began to have more audience with the boss and took over everything tech-related in the school (website checks, electrical faults, DIYs tutorials, name it) and still teaching.

In addition, my knowledge of vast subject and willingness to read made me a buffer for many subjects. If the teacher is unavailable and I'm free, I'd cover for the subject. A number of staff then said it's eye service but I don't really care. I was doing what I love for a not-so-good pay. Soon, I became the V.P.(Acad) the year before COVID. and you could say it was a good achievement.

During COVID, school shut down for 6 months, my boss paid me salary all through, not 100% salary but better than nothing. The next year, my boss accepted my plea for an increment due to the rising costs and jacked up my current salary then by 50%, making me the highest paid in the school. I forgot to mention that the gifts in cash and kind I get from my boss could be worth up to my three-month salary per year in terms of value. He moved on to pay all the expenses for me to partake in a state-wide competition which I emerged first-runner up, putting the LGA on state map and the school too.

The presence of these achievements in my CV positioned me to land a remote opportunity whose pay dwarfs what I earn at the school by almost 400% in terms of value. My boss agreed to allow me spend only half the normal school time after which I leave to begin the remote task. Note that he didn't reduce my salary; neither did any of the benefits I get cut down.

The first 3 alerts I got this year were from former students I taught; who for one random reason or the other, thought of reaching out. One of my female students who graduated in 2019 has my account sitting in her DM now as per her request yesterday. Not to mention the many ways, many of them used their capacity to help me here and there (even to recommend/purchase quality electronic gadgets or jump those humongous queues at MTN Office grin). My birthday is tomorrow. I can't remember the last time I actually planned to celebrate my birthday. January tough. But not these students/former students. Every year for the past 5 years, they always turn up with plans.

I am Igbo, and we're quite few in my organization, my boss is Yoruba. I could have all sorts of petty things to say about him. I'm sure many of my colleagues will have a lot lot more to say about him. But in the things that matter, he has been a catapult to the very high grounds I find myself today and that is all that really matters to me (not petty things and not other people's opinion of him).

It's a lengthy read but I don't know who is sitting in a similar bus headed in a similar direction. It'll probably work out sooner or later. Just don't stop doing something legit. Anything.

DesChyko:

The school I served before I call it a quit is structured in a way that the teachers are seen to be suspects. You don't have to relate closely to any student for the fear that the parents will bankroll you. Parents-teachers relationship is non existent. Students see their teachers as servants and always threaten them with sack.
The boss is a thorough sadist, a narcissist. He never inspire you to work. He don't bring up new ideas. All he knows is to attack people's reputation in public. He is so interested in gossips and accusation and works on each one tabled before him without verifying the facts.
Ultimately, the school was going down. Their WAEC was seized because of malpractice, a fact he knows, something he could have managed before it snowballs but he kept blaming the innocent teachers. Then, the chicken came home to roost. He was sacked and calm was restored. Teachers he wickedly sacked or those that resigned because of his excesses were brought back.

People don't do well in a toxic environment. Toxic environment are creations of poor managers.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Rrchrd(m): 1:52pm On Jan 11, 2023
You mean someone rejected a job of 150k monthly while am here yawning for just 30k work
With my experience in hospitality & Degree

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by LOVEGINO(m): 2:15pm On Jan 11, 2023
Vintage100:
Pls help me I'm a graduate. I really need job. Pls help a brother
na scam.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by Rickmann: 2:27pm On Jan 11, 2023
IyaTola:
I cannot take up that job, N150,000 monthly salary is too small!

Last year, a fresh graduate rejected the job I got him

I asked him to take the job for 6 months so that he can gather experience for his next job, but he didn't listen

He is still at home trusting God

I have had to advise a lot of graduates and professionals regarding whether to take up a role where the salary is small.

Some think the salary is belittling and not up to their worth.

I have also seen a lot of people on social media advising graduates not to settle for less which I disagree.

Your decision depends on whether you have a job at hand or not.

I believe it's better to accept a job with low salary than sitting at home to do nothing.

Once the salary can cater for your feeding and transport, you are fine.

No experience is a waste and no matter how bad a job is, you will learn something even if it is tolerance and perseverance.

You have an experience to point to.

You can't ask for a lion share (Salary) with a fish brain (no experience)

At the earliest days of my career,

I was living in Mowe -Ibafo axis, Arepo to be precise, working at Yaba and the salary was small,

I do wake up as early as 4:30am to enjoy cheap transport to Ojota

And BRT to Yaba were cheaper compared to 14 seater Bus.

Then, I do take standing in the BRT bus because it is cheaper than taking a seat

Infact standing was my hobby ��

I will get to the office 6am and wait till 8am when other staff will resume.

The pay was small, I worked as late as 8pm but the experience was BIG and worth it.

Later, I joined another company with double salary.

The rest is history today,

If you are in doubt of taking a job because of the pay, accept the offer,

Give your best, learn as much as you can, don't get carried away and keep your eye on your goal.

Remember, if you are too big to do small things, you will be too small to do big things

Do you agree?

I couldn't agree more.
You have spoken well.
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by moststylish(m): 4:05pm On Jan 11, 2023
IyaTola:
I cannot take up that job, N150,000 monthly salary is too small!

Last year, a fresh graduate rejected the job I got him

I asked him to take the job for 6 months so that he can gather experience for his next job, but he didn't listen

He is still at home trusting God

I have had to advise a lot of graduates and professionals regarding whether to take up a role where the salary is small.

Some think the salary is belittling and not up to their worth.

I have also seen a lot of people on social media advising graduates not to settle for less which I disagree.

Your decision depends on whether you have a job at hand or not.

I believe it's better to accept a job with low salary than sitting at home to do nothing.

Once the salary can cater for your feeding and transport, you are fine.

No experience is a waste and no matter how bad a job is, you will learn something even if it is tolerance and perseverance.

You have an experience to point to.

You can't ask for a lion share (Salary) with a fish brain (no experience)

At the earliest days of my career,

I was living in Mowe -Ibafo axis, Arepo to be precise, working at Yaba and the salary was small,

I do wake up as early as 4:30am to enjoy cheap transport to Ojota

And BRT to Yaba were cheaper compared to 14 seater Bus.

Then, I do take standing in the BRT bus because it is cheaper than taking a seat

Infact standing was my hobby ��

I will get to the office 6am and wait till 8am when other staff will resume.

The pay was small, I worked as late as 8pm but the experience was BIG and worth it.

Later, I joined another company with double salary.

The rest is history today,

If you are in doubt of taking a job because of the pay, accept the offer,

Give your best, learn as much as you can, don't get carried away and keep your eye on your goal.

Remember, if you are too big to do small things, you will be too small to do big things

Do you agree?
if that dp is your then you are beautiful and well endowed.

3 Likes

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by DesChyko: 4:46pm On Jan 11, 2023
ntipro:

Ewwww
Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by QuinModah(f): 5:53pm On Jan 11, 2023
7 things employers do that give me the ick.

1. Make people work overtime without pay.
2. Expect 'business dress' for no actual reason.
3. Host 'lads lads lads' type of socials.
4. Base promotions on company loyalty.
5. Pay interns with 'experience' - not money.
6. Give their team those clunky 2000s Dell laptops cry
7. Choose to use MS Teams over Zoom (#notokay)

Apparently, there are 57 MILLION companies on LinkedIn.

Add your icks below so employers get the message.

The more brutal the better I say wink

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Cannot Take Up That Job, N150,000 Monthly Salary Is Too Small! by QuinModah(f): 5:54pm On Jan 11, 2023
This is 2023, you should learn to acknowledge and appreciate yourself for the things you possess first. If you can’t do that, no one will appreciate you.

This post is for those who have fallen victim of this already. You have observed that no one around you acknowledges you as a person of value. Well, that is a signal that you have been doing something wrong.

Your value does not decrease because of someone’s inability to see your worth.

The extent of your value is dictated by your ability to see your worth and how you carry yourself.

You are the totality of your experience, foundation and your journey in life. The good, the bad and the ugly. This sums up your Value.

��Appreciating your self-worth is where this all begins from.

��Appreciating segments of your life,
personality, and yourself as a whole.

��Acknowledging the good that already exists within you, being grateful for those several little qualities that you possess, are the basic things that helps you maintain your perceived worth of yourself.

The moment you deviate from these, you will definitely underappreciate your value. That exactly is the first step to perceiving your values as a worthless one.

It is important to know that the value you possess will neither increase nor decrease as a function of what you or others think about yourself. Even if anyone doesn’t acknowledge it, your value remains constant.

It does not actually mean that you have lost your value, it simply means your self-worth is lacking. You should focus on your self-worth first, and others will begin to acknowledge you. Then, your perceived value might even be higher than you actually possess!

The way out is very simple. The first thing you should do, is to acknowledge yourself, and improve your self-worth. If you can successfully do that, then your 2023 is already taking form. Its already getting better than the previous year.

It is important to know that your perceived value does not have any relationship with the actual value you possess. It grows based on how much of self-worth you carry.

Please note that your self- worth is not the same as self esteem. Self esteem relies on external and physical factors while your self-worth is an element of the mind.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Man Seeking Job As A Driver Crashes The Company's Car During His Job Interview / Borno School Needs 5000 Teachers / Theois Bank Job Invitation - ASO Savings and Loans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.