Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,524 members, 7,826,965 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland (93048 Views)

FG Charges Miyetti Allah Leader With ‘unlawful Creation Of Ethnic Militia’ / Sanwo-Olu Announces Total Ban Of Okada In 6 Local Government / Total Ban On Okada In Lagos Takes Effect In Two Months - Sanwo-Olu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Go Down)

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Exmilitant(m): 1:27pm On Mar 28, 2023
Good one but, Seun i think you should clearly states the kind of words that categorize as slur.

for example, if i call a person zombidiot, does it categorize as slur?

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Nobody: 1:27pm On Mar 28, 2023
Davash222:

Yeah, most hardworking in tribalism and segregation.

That's not true, you are just biased in your judgement. If you cleverly follow Nairaland rules you'll hardly get banned. It's the reason I hardly get banned and I don't look for trouble as well.

6 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Asgard13: 1:27pm On Mar 28, 2023
Iamgrey5:
This was your last comment before this thread as bigoted as ever.

Is name Yoruba a tribal slur ..

WhAt I typed is reality

Have Yoruba on this forum not been calling Labour Party igbo party Nd IPOB agenda?

Answer

11 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Chetas81(m): 1:27pm On Mar 28, 2023
AS THEY always come here to show us their home training

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Omoawoke: 1:27pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have noticed the use of ethnic slurs and other derogatory names by a small but persistent group of political actors and trolls.

This practice of derogatory name-calling adds no value to the forum. It's bad for our mental health, our harmony as a community, and the reputation of Nairaland. It's simply toxic. It's absence and the absence of the people who use those slurs will not be missed.

Therefore I have decided to ban the practice entirely. I have instructed dominique, mukina2, Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to ban anyone who uses an ethnic slur or derogatory name on Nairaland. The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

- Seun Osewa, Founder of Nairaland

What of monikers with ethnic slurs. For example, a moniker like YorubasBastards , igboPig, why do u allow such monikers?

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by LordErrk: 1:27pm On Mar 28, 2023
Now this is something I'd love to see. Person no fit even read news in peace again

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by TINO26: 1:27pm On Mar 28, 2023
Nice one! Long over due. Please be very strict about this Mr moderator

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by tunapawizzy: 1:27pm On Mar 28, 2023
jamesversion:

If you can display the details of the individuals, like their email addresses and their IP devices, we can help you in tracking them to their residence.

That way, we can shame them properly.
That would be violating their privacy, which may have its legal implications....he should just rid them of constituting nuisance on his platform... The good thing is this....people that propel ethinic slurs desire to be seen and heard.....lots of them are miserable when they are not seen/heard, so they will stop

9 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by blacksam01: 1:27pm On Mar 28, 2023
someone shld test na whether the ban has started working

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Buksaylor: 1:27pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have noticed the use of ethnic slurs and other derogatory names by a small but persistent group of political actors and trolls.

This practice of derogatory name-calling adds no value to the forum. It's bad for our mental health, our harmony as a community, and the reputation of Nairaland. It's simply toxic. It's absence and the absence of the people who use those slurs will not be missed.

Therefore I have decided to ban the practice entirely. I have instructed dominique, mukina2, Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to ban anyone who uses an ethnic slur or derogatory name on Nairaland. The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

So you have finally come to realize what I have been shouting about!

4 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by truthCoder: 1:28pm On Mar 28, 2023
N3TRAL:
Seun, can you make a list of words that are prohibited so that our freedom of speech is not ridiculed in the guise of fighting tribalism.

Make a comprehensive list or a comprehensive definition of what tribal slurs are. Define tribal slurs and what can pass as tribal slurs if there's no list. Thanks.

" Tribe of the fallen demon" has been used to insult people here. It's a phrase not even a word.

SAY NO TO TRIBALISM OR CYBER BULLYING. I STAND AGAINST BOTH VICES AND CONDEMN THEM AS A GOOD NAIRALAND MEMBER!

You are against cyber bullying but your signature has swords, guns, and all weapons of sorts.

You want to shoot without being shot at?

He who comes to equity must come with clean hands.

Start by cleaning up your signature.

Kudos Seun. Now we can have sensible conversations on here without people insulting where our great grandfathers decided to settle.

3 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by charlesdinho(m): 1:28pm On Mar 28, 2023
ok. we don hear
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by verybadmouth(m): 1:28pm On Mar 28, 2023
Why ban them when they can always create new accounts. Just make it mandatory to link your NIN or BVN to your nairaland account. With that you can easily curb scam and catch people that use hate and tribal speeches. Simple

3 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by sharone21(f): 1:28pm On Mar 28, 2023
Also ban those using derogatory words against women...

Apart from curses and swear words.

5 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by mocochannel: 1:28pm On Mar 28, 2023
tongue
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by bionixs: 1:28pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

GOD BLESS YOU SIR
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by karnap(m): 1:28pm On Mar 28, 2023
Let your administrative be neutral.
Let there be peace on nairaland.
Let users displays their full information, most users who make ethnics comments don't have much information on their profile
Make it mandatory for information to be complete
Some one will.just open account just to insults others.

Thank you so.much.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by N3TRAL: 1:29pm On Mar 28, 2023
alfa666:
They can try all they want to force me to love them.

I and my people will never love dirty backstabbers. Never!

Betrayers that think they are cunning! Never.

Mynd44 lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by BaddestQueen(f): 1:29pm On Mar 28, 2023
Asgard13:
Again useless tribal threads should be taken down within seconds .. not allowing it to gather views .. atime page 2 before taken down.

Make we make life balance
and the poster banned for 1 year
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by LoveTalk(f): 1:29pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

This is highly commendable.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by MrUchenna1(m): 1:29pm On Mar 28, 2023
Challenging yourself to always do the right thing is the greatest challenge
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Adubi78(m): 1:29pm On Mar 28, 2023
EXCELLENT

Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by mytime24(f): 1:29pm On Mar 28, 2023
Hope it worked
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by LordErrk: 1:29pm On Mar 28, 2023
Taeewo:
Good, and try to grade each member by level that will always display along side their username...

Example

Someone that joined within six months should display newbie

After a year he fit change again

After another year he go change again,this can be achieved through the activeness of each member...

I think you're in the wrong forum. Nairaland no be 2go abeg

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Asgard13: 1:29pm On Mar 28, 2023
seunmsg:

Like “Tinubu must contest” and “Power to the north” are reactions to others? How?

Is those statement tribal slurs , phrase or sentence

Oga for real

Tinubu will return that document he stole from Nigerians

That’s the fact ..

Or you wan bully me..

Bro you no reach..

4 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Shezzman: 1:29pm On Mar 28, 2023
Finally...long overdue...
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by mariahAngel(f): 1:29pm On Mar 28, 2023
Asgard13:

This is a good option..even though na good mod.. but most times . E Dey touch am emotionally..

One love Mynd44

If we see truth, make we dey talk am boldly.
Everybody for nairaland know say Mynd44 dey bias/partial.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27)

Chinese Warship Arrives Nigeria / Tinubu Confronts Amosun During Ogun APC Rally (PHOTOS) / Nigerian Senators Meet With Ahmed Musa After World Cup Match In Russia. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.