Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,059 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:30 AM

A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland (90988 Views)

FG Charges Miyetti Allah Leader With ‘unlawful Creation Of Ethnic Militia’ / Sanwo-Olu Announces Total Ban Of Okada In 6 Local Government / Total Ban On Okada In Lagos Takes Effect In Two Months - Sanwo-Olu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Go Down)

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by CallmeTrinity: 1:33pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have noticed the use of ethnic slurs and other derogatory names by a small but persistent group of political actors and trolls.

This practice of derogatory name-calling adds no value to the forum. It's bad for our mental health, our harmony as a community, and the reputation of Nairaland. It's simply toxic. It's absence and the absence of the people who use those slurs will not be missed.

Therefore I have decided to ban the practice entirely. I have instructed dominique, mukina2, Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to ban anyone who uses an ethnic slur or derogatory name on Nairaland. The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

- Seun Osewa, Founder of Nairaland

Nice one ban the following accounts for a start
LeoDeKing omenka Helinues Shortigboman Moh247 FreeStuffsNG yarimo okoroawusa Yamiriflathead seunmsg

7 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Ingocof(m): 1:33pm On Mar 28, 2023
Why don't you define the word ethnic slur and write down the banned words so someone will not be banned innocently.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by benitwater(m): 1:34pm On Mar 28, 2023
Way to go,
I believe one of the reasons the forum was created was to unite us as Nigerians.

4 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by DriveByKiller: 1:34pm On Mar 28, 2023
Fool(s)
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by missade(f): 1:34pm On Mar 28, 2023
socialmediaman:

Words don't translate to actions. This is more like damage control to save face after the deed has been done already. I'm holding him by actions, not words

I don’t know about him saving face but words definitely do translate to sinister things including violence. Take the Tunisian president’s speech and the violent aftermath on African immigrants living in Tunisia.

Regardless of what his motives are, this step is in the right direction. Also note that if someone acknowledges wrongdoing and takes action to prevent the same thing from happening over and over again; they should be accorded grace. There’s no humanity without forgiveness.

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Taeewo(m): 1:34pm On Mar 28, 2023
braine:

What title will people like us get after almost 16 years on this platform?? grin
Legend

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by mariahAngel(f): 1:34pm On Mar 28, 2023
Asgard13:

Fear Mynd44.
Respect am join grin

In life levels dey oh

I no fit ever respect person wey dey abuse power. Never!

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by baralatie(m): 1:34pm On Mar 28, 2023
KazikageSama:
Which words Seun, be specific. Don't give room for unclever interpretations of your intention.
That is what he is doing nauu

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by sisisioge: 1:34pm On Mar 28, 2023
About time! I'm just wondering if insulting a totally deserving troll in my language will be seen as a tribal slur?
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by DaTruths: 1:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
Tinubu must return that mandate.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Aklee4994(m): 1:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
In you we trust 💯✅🇳🇬🙏❤️
One ☝️ Nigeria 🇳🇬
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by baralatie(m): 1:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
sisisioge:
About time! I'm just wondering if insulting a totally deserving troll in my language will be seen as a tribal slur?
grin
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by kanuchibuezeo: 1:35pm On Mar 28, 2023
It's going to be difficult implementing this. This will soon graduate to violation of freedom of speech and information. Most people here are tribalistic and religiously sentimental. I encourage we stop the use of slur words but we didn't realise it today. It benefits those who feel the inferiority complex.

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by socialmediaman: 1:36pm On Mar 28, 2023
missade:

I don’t know about him saving face but words definitely do translate to sinister things including violence. Take the Tunisian president’s speech and the violent aftermath on African immigrants living in Tunisia.

Regardless of what his motives are, this step is in the right direction. Also note that if someone acknowledges wrongdoing and takes action to prevent the same thing from happening over and over again; they should be accorded grace. There’s no humanity without forgiveness.

Actions speak louder than words.

When Elon Musk bought Twitter, he tweeted that they had already started fighting spam and people will be seeing the results, to which people obviously confirmed that they had noticed. He didn't ban spam with words. It's like the government coming out to announce a ban on crime in Nigeria rather than take steps to implement the law which already exists.

Why come out to make announcements only when people started calling for a boycott to show their grievances? Take the steps already, don't announce a ban which already exists in the rules. Implement the rules and tell us they're already happening, we'll be the ones to confirm that we've noticed.

What I expected from him was to announce that he has added a new feature that will make it easy to report when mods are not doing their jobs, to add checkmates in the system

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by BombAttack(f): 1:36pm On Mar 28, 2023
VawulenceProMax:
are you an afonja or an ipob?

Both
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by am4truth(m): 1:36pm On Mar 28, 2023
This is Commendable Seun.
Hope your Mod would be fair in doing this?
We can live together in peace without tribalism and bitterness.

Also, pls unverified information should not be allowed, especially those that malign a person.

I don't mind assisting with this.

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by AmotekunSW: 1:36pm On Mar 28, 2023
Those Sevn promised 32k no wan gree am rest.

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Caaz: 1:36pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun please you still need to address the recent attacks and shaming of women in this forum.women shouldn't be bullied.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Themanleshey: 1:36pm On Mar 28, 2023
Donjazet2:
Very wonderful development.

Raumdeuter, come and see oo.
You will no longer be tolerated for those hateful words towards Igbos.

Nice development Seun. This platform will see a beginning of sanity and healthy discourse. This is long overdue.

We're watching myndfourfour who has enabled these people to see how they react to this development.

You deserve a ban , must you mention any tribe name.

This is what he’s trying to correct and look at what you are typing . Smh 🤦‍♂️

4 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by cedricksly: 1:36pm On Mar 28, 2023
Taeewo:
Good, and try to grade each member by level that will always display along side their username...

Example

Someone that joined within six months should display newbie

After a year he fit change again

After another year he go change again,this can be achieved through the activeness of each member...

una too like class and status. And it is a bad mentality really....

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by EmiDon11: 1:36pm On Mar 28, 2023
I heard seun mention lalasticlala
Is he still active?
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by ComeToJesus: 1:37pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have noticed the use of ethnic slurs and other derogatory names by a small but persistent group of political actors and trolls.

This practice of derogatory name-calling adds no value to the forum. It's bad for our mental health, our harmony as a community, and the reputation of Nairaland. It's simply toxic. It's absence and the absence of the people who use those slurs will not be missed.

Therefore I have decided to ban the practice entirely. I have instructed dominique, mukina2, Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to ban anyone who uses an ethnic slur or derogatory name on Nairaland. The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

- Seun Osewa, Founder of Nairaland

I keep wondering why it was allowed to gain traction in the first place. This is commendable. The caveat that posters are responsible for what they post is not enough.

Another area you should completely obliterate from the platform is the constant glamourisation of the killing of wildlife.

Snakes, Civets, Pangolins, Alligatos, Antelopes, Whales washed up on the beach and all manner of wildlife that are on the verge of extinction and are protected in some climes, are gleefully captured, killed, chopped into pieces. A step by step preparation of the "pepper soup" laced with the innocent animal will later be splashed here on this site. This is brutish, insensitive, atavistic, barbaric and anti bio-diversity.

This gory practices should not be encouraged at all. This planet is for all and not for humans alone.

Thank you.

Cc: Seun Mynd44 Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Olatara(f): 1:37pm On Mar 28, 2023
Asgard13:
Nice one bro..

Is getting out of the ordinary.. and raising the tempo of bitterness and deep hatred offline

Nigeria and Nigerians need peace at this moment ..

Togetherness a new Nigeria is possible
Which offline, the hatred is only online. My best friend is Igbo and we talk almost everyday. We don't even discuss politics, when we do, we talk maturity.

My colleague at work called me Sanwo-olu's daughter and I said 'yes oh', that was the end of the discussion.

Wetin concern online with offline. Offline is reality.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by IMASTEX: 1:37pm On Mar 28, 2023
123readygo:
Hmmmmmmm
This action of yours came too late. You have lost a considerable number of sane people here. The way small boys of Igbo and Yoruba extraction abuse themselves here is unimaginable. It is very disturbing and disheartening to say the least
Exactly, I belong to none of those two tribes yet I feel uneased seeing such comments from any of the regions, especially in a beautiful article that should attract educative and rational comments but will be derailed by some young warthogs.

3 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by SleekyP(m): 1:37pm On Mar 28, 2023
good one....Lalasticlala is also nlfpmod grin grin
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Asgard13: 1:37pm On Mar 28, 2023
mariahAngel:

I no fit ever respect person wey dey abuse power. Never!

See ba..

Nairaland na cruise place.. unwind and refocus..

Nothing personal..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27)

The Man In Aso Rock Is Not Buhari - Fani-kayode Insists / Massive EndSARS Damage And Destruction In Lagos. Pictures. / President Goodluck Jonathan's Reply To Obasanjo's Letter

Viewing this topic: NuGaniruGl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.