Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,894 members, 7,814,020 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland (90973 Views)

FG Charges Miyetti Allah Leader With ‘unlawful Creation Of Ethnic Militia’ / Sanwo-Olu Announces Total Ban Of Okada In 6 Local Government / Total Ban On Okada In Lagos Takes Effect In Two Months - Sanwo-Olu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Go Down)

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by BombAttack(f): 1:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
Iamgrey5:
90% of your comment on Nairaland is tribal, why are you acting like you are a saint here?

Look for those comments and tag the mods, he will get 100yrs ban.

My job now is to report any account engaging in tribal banter cool

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Nobody: 1:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have noticed the use of ethnic slurs and other derogatory names by a small but persistent group of political actors and trolls.

This practice of derogatory name-calling adds no value to the forum. It's bad for our mental health, our harmony as a community, and the reputation of Nairaland. It's simply toxic. It's absence and the absence of the people who use those slurs will not be missed.

Therefore I have decided to ban the practice entirely. I have instructed dominique, mukina2, Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to ban anyone who uses an ethnic slur or derogatory name on Nairaland. The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

- Seun Osewa, Founder of Nairaland

Your mods love majoring in minors.
They go after words and phrases.
Hate speech and call for violence has taken strong hold on this platform. It is not words or phrases, it is the whole speech. It is the degrading of an ethnic group that will lead to real life blood bath, that is what should be banned.
There people who just created a profile to be tribal bigots who are after ethnic and religious cleansing.
That is where your focus should be on, not words

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by obembet(f): 1:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have noticed the use of ethnic slurs and other derogatory names by a small but persistent group of political actors and trolls.

This practice of derogatory name-calling adds no value to the forum. It's bad for our mental health, our harmony as a community, and the reputation of Nairaland. It's simply toxic. It's absence and the absence of the people who use those slurs will not be missed.

Therefore I have decided to ban the practice entirely. I have instructed dominique, mukina2, Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to ban anyone who uses an ethnic slur or derogatory name on Nairaland. The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

So our own Lalasticlala stil here.. .. We miss out able and humble supper mod.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by UnabashedIPOB: 1:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

I am glad you brought that to the fore and I hope you're NOT gonna be selective in dishing out your suspension!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Dade555: 1:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
Taeewo:
Good, and try to grade each member by level that will always display along side their username...

Example

Someone that joined within six months should display newbie

After a year he fit change again

After another year he go change again,this can be
achieved through the activeness of each
member...

Not accepted!

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Germi9: 1:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Seun Osewa where u be sef?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by alibiz: 1:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
This will help a lot

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by babajero(m): 1:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

The damage has already been done, but it is never too late to start. And another thing is that I think Mynd44 is little tribalistic and fanatical to to carry out such task.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by seguno2: 1:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
thesicilian:
You're just waking up now

descarado:
After 10yrs?
You are not serious.

Maybe, cos of recent event happening in the country, guy man is afraid.

Do you prefer that he should never wake up to this

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by braine(m): 1:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
Taeewo:
Good, and try to grade each member by level that will always display along side their username...

Example

After another year he go change again,this can be achieved through the activeness of each member...

What title will people like us get after almost 16 years on this platform?? grin

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Kobicove(m): 1:30pm On Mar 28, 2023
This is a good decision Seun

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Dade555: 1:31pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Good one. I am in support of this development.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by DeTribalisedCit: 1:31pm On Mar 28, 2023
I also think Mynd44 would be partisan; but then, there are not many more active than him on this forum and I may be biased because I know which wing he plays.

Anyways, can we have a list of such slurs or at least, have the rule in clear terms as one of those we see when making a new post?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by djon78(m): 1:31pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Thanks oga seun

That's what should have been done since

I have completely started avoiding this site because of this

If it's not handled well
Terrible flames would have been ignited in Nigeria

Because members are anonymous so they can do anyhow

Thanks

Let's no whether sanity will return

Well-done Sir
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by lavylilly: 1:31pm On Mar 28, 2023
wink
socialmediaman:

Words don't translate to actions. This is more like damage control to save face after the deed has been done already. I'm holding him by actions, not words
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Ofemmanu1: 1:31pm On Mar 28, 2023
NO.
I disagree.
If NL should enact such, people wouldn't express themselves again.

It's an infringement on freedom of expression.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Asgard13: 1:31pm On Mar 28, 2023
mariahAngel:

If we see truth, make we dey talk am boldly.
Everybody for nairaland know say Mynd44 dey bias/partial.

Fear Mynd44.
Respect am join grin

In life levels dey oh
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by TriCee: 1:31pm On Mar 28, 2023
Finally!! Thank you for this
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by IMASTEX: 1:31pm On Mar 28, 2023
Nice one, at least serious minded people who once boycotted the forum can now be attracted back. My observation is that most of those offenders use a new account, and from their profile you will see zero contribution to the forum.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Pharovo(m): 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2023
Taeewo:

Example

After another year he go change again,this can be achieved through the activeness of each member...

Good one. I deliberately stopped reading nairaland comments for over a year now. The hate and disgust and disrespect was so real. And Seun I urge you you to consider this persons suggestion. You can’t just create a new account today and use it to do nonsense. Try use your old account to type nonsense and collect 30 days ban.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Exmilitant(m): 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2023
sharone21:
Also ban those using derogatory words against women...

Apart from curses and swear words.
Seun is a muslim. He is gender insensitive.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by socialmediaman: 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

I do this over and over, but it does nothing! It just hides the comment from me and I assume the person was banned, only to see them trolling me and others again.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by naturefellow(m): 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2023
IyaebeTheGreat:
Mynd is the most hardworking and firm moderator on this forum. They have finally released this your account , that's good
mynd is not fit to be a moderator, with his open partisanship and bigotry.

5 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by EmiDon11: 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2023
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Ingocof(m): 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2023
luvinhubby:
Seun this is very good & commendable, we cannot afford to further divide our fractured country with unnecessary ethnicity.

It was very unfortunate that some of our Yoruba brothers were misguided by an evil political class to see their fellow suffering citizens as their problem whereas the true problem of our country are those politicians

Unless you want to deceive yourself as you have been doing then you will conclude it is Yoruba people not minding how you guys are claiming to be the owner of another man's land

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by KazikageSama: 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2023
Which words Seun, be specific. Don't give room for unclever interpretations of your intention.

4 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by naturefellow(m): 1:33pm On Mar 28, 2023
thesicilian:
You're just waking up now
medicine after death.

Seun Osewa, your hypocrisy stinks spectacularly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by infogeneral: 1:33pm On Mar 28, 2023
Good one.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Olatara(f): 1:33pm On Mar 28, 2023
Nah now your dey break.

Campaign after election undecided

Shiorr!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by evanstical: 1:33pm On Mar 28, 2023
What examples of ethnic slurs should be stated

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27)

Ministerial Nominees And Their States Of Origin / The Man In Aso Rock Is Not Buhari - Fani-kayode Insists / Massive EndSARS Damage And Destruction In Lagos. Pictures.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.