Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland (90961 Views)

FG Charges Miyetti Allah Leader With ‘unlawful Creation Of Ethnic Militia’ / Sanwo-Olu Announces Total Ban Of Okada In 6 Local Government / Total Ban On Okada In Lagos Takes Effect In Two Months - Sanwo-Olu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (27) (Go Down)

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by AMI3(m): 1:54pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have noticed the use of ethnic slurs and other derogatory names by a small but persistent group of political actors and trolls.

This practice of derogatory name-calling adds no value to the forum. It's bad for our mental health, our harmony as a community, and the reputation of Nairaland. It's simply toxic. It's absence and the absence of the people who use those slurs will not be missed.

Therefore I have decided to ban the practice entirely. I have instructed dominique, mukina2, Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to ban anyone who uses an ethnic slur or derogatory name on Nairaland. The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

- Seun Osewa, Founder of Nairaland

I am happy Seun Osewa. This is long over due it is like u read my message and listen to my mind.

Please spare no one. I believe if u are call upon someday to lead this country u will do it without fear or favor irrespective of who the person is.

I am 💯 in support of this. Welcome back my beloved Nairaland.

5 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by bassdow: 1:54pm On Mar 28, 2023
TrumpDonald2:

He used 'we' at the beginning as he recognized those working with him. For the decision, it's his decision and that's why he used 'I'.

Last I checked, this is not a PLC, it's his forum. So this correction is unnecessary.

na you sabi. So you wanna argue semantics with me ba ?

the "We" was used on the first line and I could attribute it to the entire nairaland forum (since even all of us follow notice and know wetin him dey yarn).

But the moment he started refering to the staff, he switched to "I" .

Also, did you notice the "I have instructed..."

I could be jobless sometimes. beWare

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by udemzyudex(m): 1:54pm On Mar 28, 2023
Finally.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by BRATISLAVA: 1:55pm On Mar 28, 2023
Lukgaf:

Nice one Ṣeun. We hope you apply this to Islamic section also. The way some elements speak about Islam on our thread is worrisome. Thanks alot

The tribal hate is by far more toxic.

Hard to understand why rather than reason, people reason through colored lens of emotion. Like gutter rats.

Enlightened people will stoop to such savagery just because their tribal faction is supposedly better than the rest. It's disgusting.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:55pm On Mar 28, 2023
DaTruths:

Is Tinubu an Ethnic sluur? Seun.

Tinubu is a nickname for Tinubu, I learnt it on Nairaland.
Seun, Mynd44, Lalasticlala, you guys need to begin this sanitation immediately.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by ghettochild4u(m): 1:55pm On Mar 28, 2023
That bigot won't even dare to try anything cos he himself does a lot of bigotry shit on Twitter.
And those things na im mk nairaland dey sweet for us wey like to dey read yabings

3 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by BRATISLAVA: 1:55pm On Mar 28, 2023
AMI3:

I am happy Seun Osewa. This is long over due it is like u read my message and listen to my mind.

Please spare no one. I believe if u are call upon someday to lead this country u will do it without fear or favor irrespective of who the person is.

I am 💯 in support of this. Welcome back my beloved Nairaland.

Funny.

Did you see his Twitter escapades? This is their arena.

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by XAUBulls: 1:56pm On Mar 28, 2023
Iamgrey5:
90% of your comment on Nairaland is tribal, So why are you acting like you are a saint here?

This was your last comment few minutes ago before this thread.
Don't mind the ethnic bigot that you just quoted. I was just about to point out too that the creep is one of the Ibo trolls who have made this website so TOXIC for many Nigerians of different ethnicities. Thanks for showing him a screenshot of his past history of posts on NL.

The NL registration process is the major key for stopping these trolls but @Seun has to enforce that process so that many of those irredentists don't create multiple fake NL accounts with free throwaway emails.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Positiveme2020: 1:56pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have noticed the use of ethnic slurs and other derogatory names by a small but persistent group of political actors and trolls.

This practice of derogatory name-calling adds no value to the forum. It's bad for our mental health, our harmony as a community, and the reputation of Nairaland. It's simply toxic. It's absence and the absence of the people who use those slurs will not be missed.

Therefore I have decided to ban the practice entirely. I have instructed dominique, mukina2, Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to ban anyone who uses an ethnic slur or derogatory name on Nairaland. The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

It is long overdue sir. At least there will be sanity once again.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by ecolime(m): 1:57pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Seun, why did you have to wait this long?

God knows I was about ditching Nairaland for my sanity. These small group have made NL a mess. I'm happy you are taking the bull by the horn.

Can't wait for Nairaland to return to its glory days. Enough is enough.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by metaluterus(f): 1:57pm On Mar 28, 2023
RenaissanceGuy:
Was there anytime the ban wasn't total?? The problem has always been about poor enforcement, because you people think it's what's responsible for high traffic.
BTW, I thought people have been saying Lalasticlala has been sacked.
smh cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Iamgrey5(m): 1:57pm On Mar 28, 2023
TrumpDonald2:

Imri is not Igbo pls. Maybe you got the spelling wrong.
What exactly are you trying to write.
Stop being clever by half

I meant water in igbo Language.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Bahamas95(m): 1:57pm On Mar 28, 2023
Nice one.

Oga Seun I also noticed something on Nairaland. I don't like it when christians are forced to swear before commenting on any thread about Islam, that isn't fair.....Make una reason the mata too.

4 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by IrawoKross: 1:57pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

You always act as if you don't see the report against Mynd44. That's hypocrisy on your part. He is the one empowering APC touts to carry on their abuses here.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Pesbest: 1:58pm On Mar 28, 2023
A very welcome development Mr seun.

Plz enforcement and continuous enforcement is very key.

Well-done.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by EverblazingTee: 1:58pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun, please do something about fake news being pushed to the front page lately.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by haffaze777(m): 1:58pm On Mar 28, 2023
Mtcheeewww

3 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by PStacks(m): 1:58pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Mr Seun..

In as much as this is a welcomed Development.

People like you should be totally neutral and apolitical..

We know what side you are on and that is why most of us just stay off Nairaland this days..

A Nairaland we all contributed our own quota to grown..

Check date of this account but when partiality is evident, what can the Righteous do?

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Mhomies: 1:58pm On Mar 28, 2023
Finaĺly, Sanity beckons.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Electorate: 1:58pm On Mar 28, 2023
N3TRAL:
Seun, can you make a list of words that are prohibited so that our freedom of speech is not ridiculed in the guise of fighting tribalism.

Make a comprehensive list or a comprehensive definition of what tribal slurs are. Define tribal slurs and what can pass as tribal slurs if there's no list. Thanks.

" Tribe of the fallen demon" has been used to insult people here. It's a phrase not even a word.

SAY NO TO TRIBALISM OR CYBER BULLYING. I STAND AGAINST BOTH VICES AND CONDEMN THEM AS A GOOD NAIRALAND MEMBER!

See dem, one of the tribal bigots is already complaining.

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by tunize(m): 1:58pm On Mar 28, 2023
A very welcome development although it took some time.

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by johnjose68: 1:59pm On Mar 28, 2023
IyaebeTheGreat:
Good one. Everybody should support and hype his candidate in peace. But seun hope I can praise Asiwaju any time I like? Trouble for those on my neck because I support and like Asiwaju, but I'll miss the gbasgbos sha.

On Asiwaju's mandate I stand.

1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Oscarhakx: 1:59pm On Mar 28, 2023
Iamgrey5:
A flat Head is not a slur anyone from any tribe can also have a flat head.
so you know. I thought you guys were too daft to notice.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Nobody: 1:59pm On Mar 28, 2023
To be honest, I was getting pissed at the tribalisim on this site. Honestly, I was on the verge of disabling my Nairaland moniker.

The election in particular brought out the worst in both political sides. Really it did. To the point that I have had to chide people here for being so bitter. You lose election , suddenly people from tribe X are evil?

I will be using the report button well well. Enough is enough.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Regex: 2:00pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

A little too late for this innit? Medication after death.

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Fucklove(m): 2:00pm On Mar 28, 2023
Some of the mods are tribal bigots, you should start by relieving them off their duties and appoint me asap cool

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Golan007: 2:00pm On Mar 28, 2023
descarado:
After 10yrs?
You are not serious.

Maybe, cos of recent event happening in the country, guy man is afraid.

Be like say e dey fear visa ban.

grin

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by kad199: 2:01pm On Mar 28, 2023
Won't be intimidated by an Afonj. Neva

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (27)

Ministerial Nominees And Their States Of Origin / The Man In Aso Rock Is Not Buhari - Fani-kayode Insists / Massive EndSARS Damage And Destruction In Lagos. Pictures.

Viewing this topic: 415amaka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.