Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,033 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland (90977 Views)

FG Charges Miyetti Allah Leader With ‘unlawful Creation Of Ethnic Militia’ / Sanwo-Olu Announces Total Ban Of Okada In 6 Local Government / Total Ban On Okada In Lagos Takes Effect In Two Months - Sanwo-Olu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Go Down)

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by sta1: 1:37pm On Mar 28, 2023
Nice one Seun!! The bitchfests here are soo very playground/ FFK! Yoruba people are not our problem or the problem of Nigeria. We sit next to each other in our churches and should be more concerned with issues like the religious-cleansing in the North.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by baralatie(m): 1:37pm On Mar 28, 2023
kanuchibuezeo:
It's going to be difficult implementing this. This will soon graduate to violation of freedom of speech and information. Most people here are tribalistic and religiously sentimental. I encourage we stop the use of slur words but we didn't realise it today. It benefits those who feel the inferiority complex.
We need an example of an ethnic slur
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Teeroyzimma: 1:38pm On Mar 28, 2023
IMASTEX:
Nice one, at least serious minded people who once boycotted the forum can now be attracted back. My observation is that most of those offenders use a new account, and from their profile you will see zero contribution to the forum.
if they open another account and misbehave they'll chop another ban, simple.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Muyiii(m): 1:38pm On Mar 28, 2023
This was long overdue and I was actually appalled that it took so long for the forum administrators to enforce such a rule.
The bigotry and hate speech that persisted on this platform really made me distant myself from here.

3 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by XBLadez: 1:38pm On Mar 28, 2023
Anyway, this is going to work just for the moment. Maybe 2, 3 or highest one week, before we all go back to normal. And how is Mynd included in the referee group? What a joke! grin grin

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Emeskhalifa(m): 1:38pm On Mar 28, 2023
I think words that would be banned should be listed so we know them and avoid using them. Not all of us know they are derogatory.

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by zicoraads: 1:38pm On Mar 28, 2023
Lol. Seun Osewa decided to act on the use of ethnic slurs in 2023.

Fantastic!

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by omohayek: 1:39pm On Mar 28, 2023
Omoawoke:

What of monikers with ethnic slurs. For example, a moniker like YorubasBastards , igboPig, why do u allow such monikers?
Exactly - one would expect such accounts to be banned permanently if this is going to have a chance of working. In fact, I'd go further and suggest a filter be added at registration time to prevent the creation of accounts with such monikers.

3 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Xtristopher: 1:39pm On Mar 28, 2023
Good idea,whoever find guilty should be banned for 70 years
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by ncoolsome(m): 1:39pm On Mar 28, 2023
At some point I got tired of nairaland bcuz of this...imagine opening ur nairaland and what u see is insults,u just start wondering how ur day go be...nice move.

2 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Chetas81(m): 1:39pm On Mar 28, 2023
Iamgrey5:
every racial slur is a word in English language.
ALL I KNOW IS THAT WHATEVER THE NIGERIA CITIZENS DO TODAY WILL REFLECT REPLICATE POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE COMES TOMORROW ( PRAYER HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS NIGERIA CITIZENS BEHAVIOUR
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by endsarrrs(f): 1:39pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have noticed the use of ethnic slurs and other derogatory names by a small but persistent group of political actors and trolls.

This practice of derogatory name-calling adds no value to the forum. It's bad for our mental health, our harmony as a community, and the reputation of Nairaland. It's simply toxic. It's absence and the absence of the people who use those slurs will not be missed.

Therefore I have decided to ban the practice entirely. I have instructed dominique, mukina2, Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to ban anyone who uses an ethnic slur or derogatory name on Nairaland. The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

- Seun Osewa, Founder of Nairaland
Wow! Just smelling the coffee?! Where you Seun and the mods long asleep before now? Ridiculous! grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by frowland(m): 1:40pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have noticed the use of ethnic slurs and other derogatory names by a small but persistent group of political actors and trolls.

This practice of derogatory name-calling adds no value to the forum. It's bad for our mental health, our harmony as a community, and the reputation of Nairaland. It's simply toxic. It's absence and the absence of the people who use those slurs will not be missed.

Therefore I have decided to ban the practice entirely. I have instructed dominique, mukina2, Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to ban anyone who uses an ethnic slur or derogatory name on Nairaland. The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

Seun, did you just notice this now? I was even thinking you have sold off and abandoned the forum because things was getting out of hand.
I was once banned by your woke mods for speaking against a religious bigot. Let’s see if things will improve with this announcements.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by lapintoz: 1:40pm On Mar 28, 2023
Excellent. Well done Admin. Long overdue
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by besticality: 1:40pm On Mar 28, 2023
Best news today!!?

- Seun Osewa, Founder of Nairaland[/quote]
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by BRATISLAVA: 1:40pm On Mar 28, 2023
Koralords:
Na now you know ,you guys where encouraging this tribal was all this while ,before the election I deliberately stop readung comments on nairaland

Especially now there a loads of hateful comments, likes and shares that indicate some people are so toxic and drowning in hate. Nothing worse than having nothing to do with the hateful wars and getting dragged into it without know what it is truly about.

How do people live on hatred so much? It's disgusting what people support.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Admols(m): 1:40pm On Mar 28, 2023
Felabrity:
Don't just ban the word, but the bot should temporary ban the tribal bst for atleast 24 hours

Dem go get sense

Read the post again. It has been stated that the person will be banned by the moderators.

Always try to read all the contents of a post before you judge or make comments.

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Asgard13: 1:40pm On Mar 28, 2023
Olatara:
Which offline, the hatred is only online. My best friend is Igbo and we talk almost everyday. We don't even discuss politics, when we do, we talk maturity.

My colleague at work called me Sanwo-olu's daughter and I said 'yes oh', that was the end of the discussion.

Wetin concern online with offline. Offline is reality.

Nice one From a pure heart ..

I know folks here in Abuja .. that have taken it personal ..with folks from each divide ..

That’s reality to them too.

To me Nairaland is nothing but cruise .. reason why ignore insults and trolls
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by DMerciful(m): 1:40pm On Mar 28, 2023
Why not embrace peace?
Iamgrey5:
90% of your comment on Nairaland is tribal, So why are you acting like you are a saint here?
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Okoroawusa: 1:41pm On Mar 28, 2023
Thank you for this thread Seun
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Eriokanmi: 1:41pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Very long in coming. I hope you would do something about it. One week ban isn't enough. Remove such monikers totally.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Robinmido(m): 1:41pm On Mar 28, 2023
I've waited patiently for this topic
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by VIKTO83(m): 1:41pm On Mar 28, 2023
Please where's that SLOMIR of a guy?
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by fabolouz1(m): 1:41pm On Mar 28, 2023
I expected this a long time ago. It's unfortunate that a blog which is supposed to be a unifying factor has turned into a ethnic ground of hate and insults.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by ahnie: 1:42pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun please kindly look into the issues of cloned accounts,and shaming of women online with deterogatory tags slammed on them

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by PointB: 1:42pm On Mar 28, 2023
About time.

The ethnic slur is why many of us stopped posting for a long time. Hopefully, this will bring some sanity.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by mariahAngel(f): 1:43pm On Mar 28, 2023
descarado:
After 10yrs?
You are not serious.

Maybe, cos of recent event happening in the country, guy man is afraid.

Nne, it's better late than never.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by baralatie(m): 1:43pm On Mar 28, 2023
zicoraads:
Lol. Seun Osewa decided to act on the use of ethnic slurs in 2023.

Fantastic!
No he has not
He only raised an opinion about doing something
And he has constited a task force with the mods to look into it
grin
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by MrRhymes101(m): 1:43pm On Mar 28, 2023
Long overdue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27)

Ministerial Nominees And Their States Of Origin / The Man In Aso Rock Is Not Buhari - Fani-kayode Insists / Massive EndSARS Damage And Destruction In Lagos. Pictures.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.