Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,006 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland (90968 Views)

FG Charges Miyetti Allah Leader With ‘unlawful Creation Of Ethnic Militia’ / Sanwo-Olu Announces Total Ban Of Okada In 6 Local Government / Total Ban On Okada In Lagos Takes Effect In Two Months - Sanwo-Olu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (27) (Go Down)

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by omohayek: 1:43pm On Mar 28, 2023
VawulenceProMax:
U mean like afonja, skull miner, developer, Igbo etc?
Um, "developer" isn't a slur of any kind - see, for example, "property developer" or "software developer". The term is certainly used sarcastically, to mock the pretensions of certain people, but sarcasm isn't the same as tribal insult, and it is a perfectly valid form of political discourse. Advocating for an end to tribalistic slurs doesn't mean we should go all the way to "snowflake" territory and start treating ethnic groups as delicate and endangered species in need of special protection - at that point, all scope for meaningful political discussion will simply vanish.

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Ayoefa: 1:43pm On Mar 28, 2023
Iamgrey5:
90% of your comment on Nairaland is tribal, So why are you acting like you are a saint here?

Hypocrisy is very bad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Karlifate: 1:44pm On Mar 28, 2023
Some monikers are still cursing & cussing on this thread. 🤦🏾‍♂️

Nigerians no dey hear word

Na iron hand approach dey tame them.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by kingthreat(m): 1:44pm On Mar 28, 2023
Una go ban tire. 50% of Nigerians are tribalists. Good move though.

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by baralatie(m): 1:44pm On Mar 28, 2023
ahnie:
Seun please kindly look into the issues of cloned accounts,and shaming of women online with deterogatory tags slammed on them
Notably in romance section both on the two sites grin
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Omoawoke: 1:45pm On Mar 28, 2023
DaTruths:

Mynd44, Lalasticlala, Nlfpmod. Rule 2

Lol see Wahala

You are not okay, so u went to edit the comment and edited mine, you for leave am na
So you dey fear ban
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by LordOfTheGame: 1:45pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun you can't deceive all of us. You allowed the hatred and bitterness towards the Igbo people when it suited you and your interests and haven achieved whatever you wanted, you're here trying to mend fences. Tell your Yoruba people that are always hating on the Igbo to stop. Also causion the particular mods that is always pushing any anti-igbo or Igbo bashing threads to the front page to stop. Rebrand nairaland and make it an issue based discussion platform and not Igbo hating platform.

3 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by bassdow: 1:45pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have noticed the use of ethnic slurs and other derogatory names by a small but persistent group of political actors and trolls.

This practice of derogatory name-calling adds no value to the forum. It's bad for our mental health, our harmony as a community, and the reputation of Nairaland. It's simply toxic. It's absence and the absence of the people who use those slurs will not be missed.

Therefore I have decided to ban the practice entirely. I have instructed dominique, mukina2, Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to ban anyone who uses an ethnic slur or derogatory name on Nairaland. The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

- Seun Osewa, Founder of Nairaland

Nairaland ain't run by just You alone. try to use "We", rather than "I". It's got more meanings than just spellings.

Also you ought to have given a couple of examples for the sake of those of us wey attend backYard college or no attend at all.

Also this your almight antiSpammBot wey never do simple tasks effectively, na him you wan give additional responsibilities. it is well sha
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by EmiDior(m): 1:45pm On Mar 28, 2023
No be nairaland again...?

E no go work

I swear with otu dominique grin grin grin

(testing....)

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by omohayek: 1:45pm On Mar 28, 2023
verybadmouth:
Why ban them when they can always create new accounts. Just make it mandatory to link your NIN or BVN to your nairaland account. With that you can easily curb scam and catch people that use hate and tribal speeches. Simple
1. That would be a gigantic violation of people's privacy rights. What happens when a government decides to then issue a legal order for Seun to give up the details of commenters said government doesn't like?
2. It would also mean nobody outside of Nigeria would have the ability to participate in the forum. The millions of Nigerians and descendants of Nigerians in the diaspora have just as much right to be on here as you do.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Lukgaf(m): 1:46pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have noticed the use of ethnic slurs and other derogatory names by a small but persistent group of political actors and trolls.

This practice of derogatory name-calling adds no value to the forum. It's bad for our mental health, our harmony as a community, and the reputation of Nairaland. It's simply toxic. It's absence and the absence of the people who use those slurs will not be missed.

Therefore I have decided to ban the practice entirely. I have instructed dominique, mukina2, Lalasticlala and Mynd44 to ban anyone who uses an ethnic slur or derogatory name on Nairaland. The antispam bot will also contribute to the effort. Please report any case that you see.

Nice one Ṣeun. We hope you apply this to Islamic section also. The way some elements speak about Islam on our thread is worrisome. Thanks alot

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by ahnie: 1:46pm On Mar 28, 2023
baralatie:

Notably in romance section both on the two sites grin
Yes,such a disgusting act..
The mods modding the section should do more.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by FireUpNow(m): 1:46pm On Mar 28, 2023
Ok oooo. We dey observe in HD
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Nobody: 1:47pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by OboOlora(f): 1:47pm On Mar 28, 2023
Na now this one de wake up
After yorubas have turned the site to AfonjaLand
Ibos have turned it into OmoNnaLand
Hausas have turned it into Arewaland

3 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Sleekfingers: 1:47pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Na now you are just waking up abi? Anyway, it is a welcome development.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Iamgrey5(m): 1:47pm On Mar 28, 2023
TrumpDonald2:

Is Agbado not corn in yoruba? I don't get your point pls.
is imri not water in igbo ?

5 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by LAXconfidential(m): 1:48pm On Mar 28, 2023
@Seun

Good day sir, please special attention should be paid to drug trafficking threads because they're the very root of tribal and ethnic slurs on Nairaland. Trolls like Leodeking and PoloG et. al have made it their life's ambition to source for news about Igbo drug traffickers and post them here with the view of ridiculing the Igbos on nairaland. I'm not Igbo but even I cannot stand the foolishness and hypocrisy.

DRUG TRAFFICKING THREADS SHOULD BE GIVEN SPECIAL ATTENTION.

Cc: Nlfpmod Mynd44 Mukina2 Dominique

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Forumobserver12(m): 1:48pm On Mar 28, 2023
Davash222:
I'll advise you remove Myndd from the enforcing team cos he/she will only ban people from a particular region.

The guy has shown over the years that he can never be unbiased..I hope Mr.Seun will do the needful and removed him from the list of enforcers..
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Jack500: 1:49pm On Mar 28, 2023
Ipob
Pandora
Obituary

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by Unuamume(m): 1:49pm On Mar 28, 2023
This is highly recommendable in other to sanitize the forum.
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by iCauseTrouble: 1:49pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun. This rule won't work until you remove Mynd44 from those that will enforce the rule.
He has a track record of being partial, bias, tribalistic, partisan, and power-drunk.
He will misuse the power given to him and strike anybody that does not align with his political and Tribal identity.
I hope you review this and turn Mynd44 to an ordinary floor member.
Thanks.
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

8 Likes

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by civilserva: 1:49pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

It is too late. Years ago, i drew your attention it but you failed to act. It has already given Nairaland bad reputation.

1 Like

Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by lendahand(m): 1:49pm On Mar 28, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

is ishilove still working with you sir?
Re: A Total Ban On The Use Of Ethnic Slurs On Nairaland by DaTruths: 1:49pm On Mar 28, 2023
Omoawoke:

Lol see Wahala

You are not okay, so u went to edit the comment and edited mine, you for leave am na
So you dey fear ban

You were the one that edited mine.

Mynd44, this user is mischievous, he edited my post.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (27)

Ministerial Nominees And Their States Of Origin / The Man In Aso Rock Is Not Buhari - Fani-kayode Insists / Massive EndSARS Damage And Destruction In Lagos. Pictures.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.