Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People (38969 Views)

Ikwerre People Visit Oba Of Benin, Presents Indigenous Flag / Aniomas And Ikwerre People Have Not Learned From History So Sad. / I Want To Find Out About Etche And Ikwerre People In Imo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Sniper101(m): 6:57pm On Jun 07, 2023
chrisxxx:
I got this from an article contributed by Nhaoma Amadi. Hear from him.
My name is Nhaoma Amadi. Nhaoma means ‘Something good’.

My own name is Nyesor. Nyesor means The Heir Apparent. Nyesom as borne by Gov. Wike means the next. It is almost like the heir apparent. But in this case it is specific to the father. The language of the Ikwerres is Ikwerre; unfortunately, for some reason, I’m not as fluent as I’d like to be. I live in my town, Rukpokwu. Port Harcourt City is almost entirely Ikwerre land.

Some of our unique rites and customs include the following:

Did I hear/read you say ALMOST undecided

Please tell me the part of PH that isn't Ikwerre.

2 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Judolisco(m): 6:59pm On Jun 07, 2023
I'm from kogi west... We speak our own dialect different from Yoruba... And when we speak a Yoruba man from osun won't understand a thing... But I'm still Yoruba....but u see dis igbo guys ehn...they don't allow dis guys join associations because they don't see them as igbos... But when it comes to politics they'll start asking them to claim igbo... Make una free them to claim anything wey dem want

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by hassan4: 6:59pm On Jun 07, 2023
Ikwerre is Igbo. Stop deceiving yourself. An Igbo clan that eminated from Nkwerre in Imo State. You speak Igbo, bear Igbo names, oberve Igbo culture and deny your identity cos of political divide.

13 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by hassan4: 7:00pm On Jun 07, 2023
Judolisco:
I'm from kogi west... We speak our own dialect different from Yoruba... And when we speak a Yoruba man from osun won't understand a thing... But I'm still Yoruba....but u see dis igbo guys ehn...they don't allow dis guys join associations because they don't see them as igbos... But when it comes to politics they'll start asking them to claim igbo... Make una free them to claim anything wey dem want

This is a lie.

7 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Jonegonu: 7:00pm On Jun 07, 2023
Darkandhandsom:
They are somewhat mean/wicked and sell their property anyhow.. An ikwerre can sell his last property and become a tenant. Ikwerre people hardly go to school.. They are known for selling lands and refusing to go to school. Their women nko... They can't stay in marriage
An ikwerre landlord will be asking for rent when your rent has not expired.. If an ikwerre landlord doesn't have a car, don't buy or drive a car as his tenant
I think you are a mad man, since ikwerre people don't go to school, You have not heard of. OC okocha, amaechi, nyesom wike, Hebert igwe, Sam mbata. Etc.

3 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Judolisco(m): 7:01pm On Jun 07, 2023
hassan4:

This is a lie.
which part of it is a lie?
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Olodo24: 7:01pm On Jun 07, 2023
Darkandhandsom:
They are somewhat mean/wicked and sell their property anyhow.. An ikwerre can sell his last property and become a tenant. Ikwerre people hardly go to school.. They are known for selling lands and refusing to go to school. Their women nko... They can't stay in marriage
An ikwerre landlord will be asking for rent when your rent has not expired.. If an ikwerre landlord doesn't have a car, don't buy or drive a car as his tenant
My landlord is Igbo and he's a million times worse than the Ikwerre ones. You Igbos hate Ikwerres so much just because we don't want to be with you guys. Una wan claim everywhere. Na by force to become Igbos?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Emperormartin(m): 7:04pm On Jun 07, 2023
chrisxxx:

Nigerians know people held in all maximum prison all over the world. We are doing just the sensitisation not to become a victim of circumstances.
I'm not talking about the Nigeria people because an average Nigerian doesn't know the difference between ikwerre and Igbo.

I'm talking about the ikwerre people should start making distinction between ikwerre and Igbo in all works and spheres of life in this country.

So that an average Nigerian won't be mixing you guys with Igbos.

It's not a rocket science; you can do it.

So that whenever Igbos say Igbo Amaka just jejeli exclude yourselves

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Zonefree(m): 7:05pm On Jun 07, 2023
chrisxxx:

Thanks very much for betraying the Igbos.
You be werey grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Kennyking1234: 7:05pm On Jun 07, 2023
chrisxxx:
I got this from an article contributed by Nhaoma Amadi. Hear from him.
My name is Nhaoma Amadi. Nhaoma means ‘Something good’.

My own name is Nyesor. Nyesor means The Heir Apparent. Nyesom as borne by Gov. Wike means the next. It is almost like the heir apparent. But in this case it is specific to the father. The language of the Ikwerres is Ikwerre; unfortunately, for some reason, I’m not as fluent as I’d like to be. I live in my town, Rukpokwu. Port Harcourt City is almost entirely Ikwerre land.

Some of our unique rites and customs include the following:
the most useless type of igbos.

2 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Olodo24: 7:05pm On Jun 07, 2023
zoedew:
I noticed the word “Owe” is recurrent in the language. What does it mean and why is it that recurrent as the Ikwerre language is spoken.
Owe means yes

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by AdeoyeAdefemi: 7:06pm On Jun 07, 2023
My landlord is an Ikwerre man. That man has showed me shege. I just pray I get a better apartment very soon.

8 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Ertugrul: 7:11pm On Jun 07, 2023
We igbos must understand that we have made mistakes in the past, and this still hunts us today....the denial of the ikwerre is a glaring example, we must strive hard to build our region, become economically and politically sophisticated...then these issues will be addressed gradually with soft power...
It is likely that probably the ikwerre ancestors migrated from benin, but an overwhelming migration of igbos changed the demography, your culture and everything is similar to igbos...
As an ikwerre man or woman, your future is strategically dependent on the Renaissance of the igbo nation, you have no similarities with the ethnicities of the Niger Delta, u may be enjoying being the powerbrokers of rivers state now but in the long term, reunification and renaissance of our people will be integral to your strategic interest...
When the time is right, we igbos must renew our alliances with the Ethnicities of the SS, apologize for our atrocities in the civil war, work together for our future because our geographical locations makes us integral to each other....

11 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Topmaike007(m): 7:15pm On Jun 07, 2023
jmoore:

Ikwerre is distinct same way Ngwa, Nsukka, Abiriba, Onitsha are distinct.
we Ehugbo in Afikpo North are no where near the central Igbo grin grin

4 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by buttlover(m): 7:19pm On Jun 07, 2023
Ikwerres are confused. They are louder than igbo yet more lazy. Wearing latest cloth with the money gotten from land

11 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by plat0: 7:24pm On Jun 07, 2023
Nyanabo:

What I mean is that; the original port were the fishing camps and grounds of the Wakirike-Ijaw group, in what is now known as port Harcourt. As the port grew mainly because of the coal and later the transportation of crude from oloibiri. There was need for expansion, place like rebisi, nkopgu, rumuomasi, oroemizgbu, Diobu where assimilated into Port Harcourt city to form greater port Harcourt.

So saying only the ikeweres are owners of port Harcourt is a big misinformation. And should be corrected. It is co-owner by the Ikweres and Wakirikes.
Read his write up again, he said PHAlGA is almost entirely ikwerre land and he's right, There are 20 wards in PHALGA and over 15 are ikwerre areas.

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by plat0: 7:25pm On Jun 07, 2023
Sniper101:

Borokiri and old PH township
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by KwuoteYourFada: 7:27pm On Jun 07, 2023
Topmaike007:
we Ehugbo in Afikpo North are no where near the central Igbo grin grin
we wey be Nsukka nkor cheesy cheesy you won't hear shit grin
Our dialect eh Chineke grin
They should join the Igbo family

They don't have any choice anyway na time e go take

Oil wey dem get we get am with gas untop cool

Na themselves them dey do cheesy

Very soon their oil go dry grin

8 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by IduNaOba: 7:30pm On Jun 07, 2023
Ewedegubbler:
the only thing I know about these clowns is that they are Igbos pretending to be something else because of oil wey go soon finish...

dikne ohna my foooooooot

ndi mgbu

This cracked me up real good

7 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Gajagojo: 7:30pm On Jun 07, 2023
Sniper101:

Abuloma,Isaka Borokiri, Bundu Ama, Amadi Ama,Tere Ama

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Topmaike007(m): 7:31pm On Jun 07, 2023
Judolisco:
not at all you are wrong I have them as cousins and nephews they just decided to distance themselves after the civil war ...what caused Asaba own is that Igbo politicians work against Asaba,Oshimili north and south abor,ika and the rest to have a state in deterrent to Afikpo North and South and some of Ezza local government that they wanted to create and put in the north central with the likes of Benue that's what birth Ebonyi state instead of Anioma state na dia wahala take start ooh

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by allcomage: 7:33pm On Jun 07, 2023
jmoore:

Ikwerre is distinct same way Ngwa, Nsukka, Abiriba, Onitsha are distinct.
These are dialects of Igbo ethnic nationality. All of them are intelligible to one another. I have a PhD in linguistics.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Pakman: 7:34pm On Jun 07, 2023
If Ikwerre people deny being igbo, they can stop answering igbo names. Even some confused and lost people in present day Delta state, say they are not Igbo but they speak igbo and answer Igbo names.

The people who live in present day Onitcha left their brothers who could not cross the Niger river during migration...so you have Onitcha-ugbo, Onitcha-Olona etc in present day Delta state.

People who do not know their history are lost FOREVER and are like trees without roots.

14 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by biremi(m): 7:35pm On Jun 07, 2023
And when they commit a crime you blame the Igbos because they bear Igbo names
If they are distinct from the Igbos, they should also distinguish their names from Igbo names.

I hate this attitude of some my Igbo brothers trying to tell Ikwerre who they are or who they are not. They say they are not Igbos, at least majority of them say they are not, respect that please. [/quote]

5 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Gajagojo: 7:35pm On Jun 07, 2023
allcomage:

These are dialects of Igbo ethnic nationality. All of them are intelligible to one another. I have a PhD in linguistics.
You are a liar

If you have such a Phd you will never say such rubbish

Tell us the name of the first person to classify Igboid languages?

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Topmaike007(m): 7:36pm On Jun 07, 2023
KwuoteYourFada:
we wey be Nsukka nkor cheesy cheesy you won't hear shit grin
Our dialect eh Chineke grin
They should join the Igbo family

They don't have any choice anyway na time e go take

Oil wey dem get we get am with gas untop cool

Na themselves them dey do cheesy

Very soon their oil go dry grin
they don't know anything at all and Rotimi Amaechi dey claim igbo ooh na the rest dey misbehave and moreover Igbo family language wide Abeg inside Afikpo North we have Akpoha,Amasiri, Ehugbo,Ibbi our languages dey different all of us,it is because of we the Ehugbo are majority that's why the others identify themselves as Ehugbo except Akpoha..

Ikwere are still joking time will come and they will know

10 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by chrisxxx(m): 7:37pm On Jun 07, 2023
Emperormartin:

I'm not talking about the Nigeria people because an average Nigerian doesn't know the difference between ikwerre and Igbo.

I'm talking about the ikwerre people should start making distinction between ikwerre and Igbo in all works and spheres of life in this country.

So that an average Nigerian won't be mixing you guys with Igbos.

It's not a rocket science; you can do it.

So that whenever Igbos say Igbo Amaka just jejeli exclude yourselves
Don't just Ikwerre people just mention any Rivers man that has been caught in crime outside Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Michcole: 7:40pm On Jun 07, 2023
Judolisco:

You just open your mouth wa. You are a liar and bunch of ignorance.

4 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Goodcitizen99(m): 7:40pm On Jun 07, 2023
Sunisonflex39:
They act like na them get rivers State.

Ikwerri men dey cheat o.. cheating is normal to them in marriage.

They like selling land and become tenant to the person they sold the land to..( this one full woji)

I am a proud Rivers man..ONELGA
Tell me sumthing I don't know 😂 na this ones igbos wey dey focused nd hard working dey drag to join Dem as igbos. Be like say na igbos dey like downgrade demselves Sha 😂. Imagine

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by hardon1(m): 7:41pm On Jun 07, 2023
They love land more than themselves

4 Likes

Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by frostylook: 7:42pm On Jun 07, 2023
Topmaike007:
not at all you are wrong I have them as cousins and nephews they just decided to distance themselves after the civil war ...what caused Asaba own is that Igbo politicians work against Asaba,Oshimili north and south abor,ika and the rest to have a state in deterrent to Afikpo North and South and some of Ezza local government that they wanted to create and put in the north central with the likes of Benue that's what birth Ebonyi state instead of Anioma state na dia wahala take start ooh

Can you throw more light on this? I will like to know the details.
Re: What You Need To Know About Ikwerre People by Unperturbedpota: 7:42pm On Jun 07, 2023
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

I don't need to read all those things you put up there

All I know is that they originate from the Binis

You are just a kid son

You are a drug addict and a thief so what do I expect you to know. Go and sleep thief

🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

The Ema Dance Of The Urhobo People (photos) / African Civet Captured At The Isiokpo/Akpulu Hunting Festival 2017 (Photos) / Oluwo Of Iwo: "Banky W Cancer Should Come And Afflict Me"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.