Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,525 members, 7,816,283 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? (26540 Views)

Opinion: Hard Truth About Late Marriages In Nigeria / Are Late Marriages Really Caused By Jealousy And Fear Of The Unknown? / Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by desertboom(m): 10:13pm On Sep 25, 2011
@Jenifa. . . . That's the problem with you women, sometimes I wonder if MATERIALISM is written in the faces of all women/girls, so a rich and submissive woman is not good for a struggling hardworking guy. What happened to Respect, Royalty, Love, and unconditional support? Many women like you will always cry and blame satan because of this kind of mentality you just displayed above.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Lax75(m): 10:17pm On Sep 25, 2011
horny4u:

Thanks for the kind words my brother

Lots of 9ja babes better than me , and some are still single.

The problem is this gals compete with the TV at home and the printer in the office : they donot go out, but as a Man please source them out, men need women and vis a vis.

May the Almighty bless you too.

Sister

I have read your comments in this thread and some others, and I must say I appreciate your thought process. You process things from a "realistic" and "practical" school of thought. Rather than with emotion and cultural norms. Shows you are an independent thinker. I think alot more women would be happily married to good men with great work ethic and a bright future if they thought like you.

Hugs from here, Sister.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by purplekayc(m): 10:21pm On Sep 25, 2011
summary :they don spoil simple!!
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 25, 2011
desertboom:

@Jenifa. . . . That's the problem with you women, sometimes I wonder if MATERIALISM is written in the faces of all women/girls, so a rich and submissive woman is not good for a struggling hardworking guy. What happened to Respect, Royalty, Love, and unconditional support? Many women like you will always cry and blame satan because of this kind of mentality you just displayed above.
thats 21 century ladies for you! why wont there be so many divorced marriage>affecting the society negatively, ,,,,

just few good women likewise men embarassed
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Jenifa1: 3:32am On Sep 26, 2011
desertboom:

of course there will be respect, royalty, love, unconditional support.
just not submissiveness.

horny4u:

I beg to differ with somethings, I donot think the problem is who is richer or poorer,  I think its ambitious, wise and a smart decision maker and taker, a fearless Alpha male,
I love money too much  BUT i know lots of guys that married their wives richer than they are but today the Guys are commanding money, Its the potential !!!
If you see a man who has hustler potential, good attitude and hopefully education to back it up, trust me, his millions are already there just not yet visible to the Unclad eyes.
I agree its almost impossible to be submissive to a lazy man , I for one its a deal breaker I love the idea of a man waking up before me, when  ideas come our way he actions them with tenacity and guides me with his vast knowledge , those stuff turn me right on.
I can submit to a man without a lot of money but lots of hustler spirit, but i can never submit or respect a lazy man, just not in my DNA.

Yea I get what you are talking about. But who is willing to take the risk.
besides, once he starts making the money, he may decide to upgrade /go for a prettier woman or trophy wife.
I've heard those stories too many times. girl who stayed with a struggling partner gets dumped for a fresher girl once he makes it big.
but I get what you mean though and I agree with most of your post.

and I don't necessarily mean that he has to be a millionaire. just someone who is financially stable and makes more than me.
if he makes less than me, i will still treat him with respect but he definitely won't be making all the big decisions in the house. I will be doing that because i'm the one bringing in the money. if he doesn't like it and prefers a submissive wife, then he should go look for a village girl.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Nobody: 6:13am On Sep 26, 2011
Time to bash Nigerians again abi?

The truth is that times are rough. There's no money. There's no job security. No one is settled. How can they marry? What's the rush anyway? Will and Kate were 29 when they married undecided

It's a global trend.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Nobody: 6:15am On Sep 26, 2011
Nigerian men are not making money as fast as they use to. So it affects our own marriage-age. wink
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by desertboom(m): 6:56am On Sep 26, 2011
@Jenifa. Hahaha. . . You make me laugh. You reason like a 14 years old, there is always a difference between Girls and Women maybe you're still in your maturity stage. Women like you lack foresight to identify a good man, maybe someday when you grow older you're know that not all that glitter is gold
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by hildaa(f): 10:29am On Sep 26, 2011
what about the delay in courtship and broken engagement that also made the victim (woman) to start all over again in life, after many years of holding unto a man's promises of marriage? Have the preachers forgot about the setback of that particular lady? the issue of long courtship should also be addressed.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by sasakosa: 10:53am On Sep 26, 2011
The most important reason for late marriages is the poor economy.A lot of eligble men are unemployed and also most ladies keep chains of boyfriends because of their longing for money this is as a result of the widespread poverty in the land.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by matrovi: 12:18pm On Sep 26, 2011
Is as the result of lack of available men to bee married to as well.maybe it can either bee from the origin life style,that back ground can also cost it as well.if a lady as grove life to the extend that all men got to know about her life style you don't expect a man who has knowing about for a very long time to start developing interest of marriage for her.it's not possible.all though some person love such lady cos of future refference,but to me whether they marry earlly or late marriage as long as they do marry it doesn't matter.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Nayah(f): 12:33pm On Sep 26, 2011
Marriage is a choice not a obligation
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by EfeEkarume(m): 4:14pm On Sep 26, 2011
Love is a word. Marriage is not a word, its a sentence as in LIFE SENTENCE! No woman wants to be in jail at young age, that's why they wait till they have reach 3score of the year before heading to jail or even dying before they reach the counter.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by skyone(m): 9:00pm On Sep 26, 2011
Jenifa_:

the solution will come when men change their demands on women to be submissive. if that happens, women will not mind marrying a struggling man.
until that day comes, most financially independent women have no other choice than to remain single or marry a richer man who they can be submissive to.

because it is impossible to be submissive to a man who is poorer than you. how can a woman sweat to earn money and at the end of the day, the husband (who is not earning anything) has control over all the decisions. won't the woman rather be single and have control over her own life?
and wait till she can find a rich man to marry then ehn ehn you can be satisfied to be a submissive wife. at least the husband will take care of her and she may not even have to work.  so it's easy to be submissive to a rich man.

but for the struggling guy, abeg find a job if you want a submissive wife. otherwise, women will continue to marry late.

at least Nigerian population will decrease small  tongue

Jennifer your reasoning were obnoxious, it's highly pathetic, like one poster said, probably you are under 16.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Sep 26, 2011
Ha ha. Look at all the men being so butthurt at Jenifa for giving her opinion. I knew when I was reading her post that men will respond to it as they did. Please you people should not insult others for having their own opinion, our choices and ways of thinking cannot always tally.
And what if the husband and Wife are simply companions/friends/buddies instead of master and slave hmn? Anyway, before I derail;
@Topic,
I have to actually hold back a lot of anger when replying threads like this one. Why is the topic making it seem like women can only get married within a particular timeframe otherwise something is wrong? Fine the woman may have even gotten to menopausal age but she can still get married! She can marry the man for companionship and lasting partnership, not necessarily to have children. That man, Ashimolowo did something like that before, he married a woman that was over 50, a woman gets to a certain age does not mean she is now useless.
And some of the reasons why women marry later and later is because of the economy, scarcity of serious men who want something other than sex, scarcity of good men and improvement in people's quality of life leading to women wanting to have fun and enjoy their youthfulness before confining themselves to a life of sacrifice and servitude. That being said, women can marry at any age, please lets discard this stone age way of thinking that a woman must marry early or become useless. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by emmatok(m): 12:18am On Sep 27, 2011
So women are now blaming men for not their late marriages.LOL
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Jenifa1: 3:28am On Sep 27, 2011
desertboom:

@Jenifa. Hahaha. . . You make me laugh. You reason like a 14 years old, there is always a difference between Girls and Women maybe you're still in your maturity stage. Women like you lack foresight to identify a good man, maybe someday when you grow older you're know that not all that glitter is gold 

I definitely do not lack foresight to identify a good man.  lots of good men surround me
and glitter is the last thing on my mind.
I'm sorry you have failed to understand my point. but that's your problem.

it's really common sense and many women have articulated it on this thread. even the OP articulated the same idea. No matter how good a man is, sometimes a woman who has achieved freedom and independence will be very reluctant to abandon it for a life of submissiveness. If you read OP's post you will see that many of the problems he sees in women is the lack of submissiveness. to which I responded that it is impossible to be submissive to a poor man. not because i love money. but because I love my freedom. Life is much more easier as a submissive wife of a rich man than a submissive wife of a struggling man.
so the whole idea of submissiveness needs to be re-evaluated if modern day marriage is to work.

and yea there is a lot of idealism in my post. well, that's because i'm not a 30 yr old desperate woman looking for a husband. maybe when i'm in your shoes (God forbid), i'll see your point. but for now, I don't --and I pray I never will.

besides what's the difference between a woman who marries a rich man, versus a woman who marries a poor man with "potential" to be rich.  the former just happen to be luckier while the latter had to settle for less (either because she's running out of time or she's trying to convince herself that her poor husband will magically become rich later in the future).

as long as men keep searching for a submissive wife. women will keep searching for a rich man (or a "potentially" rich man). the two go hand in hand just as master and slave go hand in hand.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by sexsinners(m): 5:41am On Sep 27, 2011
whats wrong with late marriage? why do all of you nigeria want to take a girls youth away , let her grow let her know moreon her own.Having kids now a days is a hard task, only a mature intelligent women can raise one.

i wouldn't calll a 20 year old mature.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Nobody: 6:46am On Sep 27, 2011
IMO, everybody wants a good life, a woman ready to marry a poor, but aspiring man does so because she hopes things would be better, and he'd get rich, not that shes prepared to live with a poor man for the rest of her life, in the long run, going for a ready-made man and an 'about-to-be-made man' means financially securing yourself and the future of the family, irrespective of whether the woman is earning good money.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by horny4u(f): 8:31am On Sep 27, 2011
bhusayor:

IMO, everybody wants a good life, a woman ready to marry a poor, but aspiring man does so because she hopes things would be better, and he'd get rich, not that shes prepared to live with a poor man for the rest of her life, in the long run, going for a ready-made man and an 'about-to-be-made man' means financially securing yourself and the future of the family, irrespective of whether the woman is earning good money.

Ododo Oro.

Lemme add that with an the aspiring man no unneccessary competition he is a new market Hopefully he will always be grateful you and one's gold digging qualities potential digging qualities will forever be appreciated. grin grin grin grin.
When nobody saw the greatness in me , my wife did.

Potential Platinum digging 101 : Its easier to love a Medical student with a hustler spirit than a Club boy with a show off spirit.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by desertboom(m): 3:20pm On Sep 27, 2011
@Jenifa. . . There is no point to engage with you in verbal gymnastic. It's clear to me that you want already-made-product, financial security, and materialism which is common to most modern ladies but the sad news is that nothing in life seems the way it is. It is notorious that everybody wishes the best in life, but time and circumstances has always been the problem, don't you think with support and encouragement you can turn your not-perfect man (struggling man) to almost perfect? Don't you believe in LOVE and gradual growth? Your quest for materialism and domineering will lead you to wrong decision making and doom if you don't change your mentality. I am not old either, I'm in my mid 20's and you don't need to be old to understand how life works. Smart people learn from peoples experience and grow because you may not live long to make all the mistake.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by tuniski: 11:18am On Sep 28, 2011
ladies have lost basic sanity and follow vanity like having all d degrees,good job , exposure and now wat go to church and start talking salvation wat a lie. Why is it even common amongst christain ladies?
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Sagamite(m): 7:25pm On Sep 28, 2011
Nayah:

And what's the benefit being divorced at 25?? my brother 37 is NOT OLD as some people can think and especially in Africa, people should remove this on their head, what about our mothers who delivered until 38 or 39? for some people it would be strange too, or having children at 20 in our days could be very difficult judging from economic context worldwide

37 is actually old.

Women giving birth at that age have significantly increased risk of giving birth to a child with health issues (e.g. Down's syndrome) and a women at 37 would most likely be far less attractive (older looking) than at 22.

There is nothing wrong in delaying marriage or not wanting to get married, but lets not argue against biology.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Sagamite(m): 7:36pm On Sep 28, 2011
Princek12:

For me the issue is not whether you should take your time to pick a desirable partner, but the qualities you look for in a man and the attitude, your mentality, and the way you respond to men when they approach you.

Some searching women will not even give a man who does not buy them material things the time of the day, which is a silly criteria to pick a mate.

As silly as it sounds, some searching women will not talk to a stranger who approaches her unless her girlfriend introduced the man to her. That is silly. If you feel a potential connection with the stranger, then give it a try.

Some searching women walk around frowning their face and exuding a negative attitude, which makes that woman unapproachable.

I can go on and on, but you get the gist. It is usually the little things that make a big difference.

Well done, bruv!

Well said!

I will keep on saying, majority of Naija women have serious issues and don't realise how their personality is so unattractive.

I would rather re-swallow my own puke than put a ring on most Naija girls hand.

I really can't re-emphasis this point enough. I meet different girls week in, week out and the stinking attitude of Naija and West African girls just stand out. A serious contrast to other women bar Jamos.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Sagamite(m): 7:55pm On Sep 28, 2011
publisher:

[size=13pt]When it comes to late marriages,women will always be at the loosing end. We all must understand that even though God made humans to become 'higher' animals,we are still 'animals'. The way God designed ALL animals,he gave us 'mating seasons',every set of animals created by God have mating seasons,once any female animal fails to take advantage of that season,she looses the opportunity for procreation. For ladies,their mating season is between 18yrs to 25yrs,this is the age at which any NORMAL woman should find her ideal mate and start having children. The Good Lord in his mercies added jara to women by giving them 'going going' extra time which is between the ages of 26yrs and 29yrs,as from thirty years the woman enters danger zone,as the yoruba would say,'won ti 'ta' ti',i.e dem don sell finish,close shop.
Many women in a bid to acertain their so called equality with their male counterparts have also fallen into this mess. They keep forgetting that a man of 50yrs can still LEGALLY get married to an 18 year old girl and have lots of children with her, no shaken!
Anyways,i believe their eyes don clear now as even one of their role models BEYONCE,don jejely get belle inside her husband house. even as many other single old cargoes dey psyche themselves say 'Girls run the world'. grin grin grin

PS: Ladies no vex,i'm just trying to dish out some tuff luv over here,still love u guys. LOL!!![/size]

Well said!
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Jenifa1: 3:12am On Sep 29, 2011
bhusayor:

true talk.
at the end of the day, most women want to live a financially secure life. for herself and her family (kids included). whether by going for a rich guy or a potentially/aspiring rich guy.
even many women who, blinded by love, eloped with poor men end up regretting it many yrs into the marriage when romance has faded and family is drinking garri.
not that love is not important, but there are also other important factors that go into marriage.

men should start learning to respect working women because it's really for the betterment of the family. but many mistake it to be an assault against the man's manhood or "head of household" status.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Lax75(m): 3:43am On Sep 29, 2011
IMO best to wait and be with someone you can truly be happy with than to meet some "deadline" and fall victim to the pretentious society that labels late marrying females as outcasts or rejects.

I have friends who are unhappily married with children and still young (in their 30s). They present a happy home to shut society up but behind closed doors they are miserable and unhappy. This unhappiness is what is causing affairs (both men and women). They all made hasty decisions, and though the marriage blessed them with kids, well, they have realized that kids don't make a marriage work. It's the couple that made that decision to walk down the isle that shoulder the success/failure of the marriage.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by ShyOne(f): 8:05am On Sep 29, 2011
^^^^

+1

I couldn't have said it any better
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Sagamite(m): 9:36am On Sep 29, 2011
Lax75:

IMO best to wait and be with someone you can truly be happy with than to meet some "deadline" and fall victim to the pretentious society that labels late marrying females as outcasts or rejects.

I have friends who are unhappily married with children and still young (in their 30s). They present a happy home to shut society up but behind closed doors they are miserable and unhappy. This unhappiness is what is causing affairs (both men and women). They all made hasty decisions, and though the marriage blessed them with kids, well, they have realized that kids don't make a marriage work. It's the couple that made that decision to walk down the isle that shoulder the success/failure of the marriage.

Well said!
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by jpphilips(m): 12:05am On May 05, 2012
bekay911: Men lack gud upbringing too, and dey av no respect 4 us as well. Dey just wnt wats unda our skirts and notn else and can u brief me abt the law stuff cos i av no idea hw we use d law 2 our advantage . i thnk i need it seriously cry cry

of what use is the nonsense under ur skirt that you fed sugar daddies all through your youth and left the waste product for an unfortunate young man at 38 in the name of late marriage?
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by frankkydee(m): 3:01am On Oct 25, 2012
iv4real: @ skyone and who told u dat ladies dat got married above thirty are not happy about it. The problem with Nigerians is dat they think a womans life ends and begins in marriage. I will say it again not everybody is supposed to get married in their twenties. Getting married to d the right person at any age is the most important thing.
embarassed
iv4real: @ skyone and who told u dat ladies dat got married above thirty are not happy about it. The problem with Nigerians is dat they think a womans life ends and begins in marriage. I will say it again not everybody is supposed to get married in their twenties. Getting married to d the right person at any age is the most important thing.
trully,dere's no rite age 4 gettin married.
Re: What Is Behind Late Marriages For Ladies ? by Tedpgrass: 5:36am On Oct 25, 2012
skyone:

Well i can categorically tell you the issue of spiritual husband is on the board and can not be erased. Many likes of yours knows this problem is the epitome of late marriages in women desiring one.

Obviously number 1 applies to your belief above. And where you failed woefully is your foul belief of career over family life. Yes you can strife for better future but hey your silly move is not the way to go about it . Ask many women  that has left wearing your shoes how regrettable their life is today.

Skyone I would like to cut in here.
The lady above is enjoying a fulfilled life and you're moaning otherwise!!

It's a matter of opinion.....ways of assessing quality of life.
It's not in your remit to decide how people should live their lives and at what age to settle down.

That's Superiority/ Inferiority bullsh.....it.

I have a 38yr old female single unattached friend who enjoys herself, traveling the world n learning about new cultures, art, music and chateaux... You have no "right" to think she has a poorer quality of life.

I constantly meet as clients, women in their 40's and 50's who have been single for relative long periods with no children...... guess what

They are having a ball!!!!!!!!!!

******Loneliness gets easier to deal with as you grow older.
BTW, many wives are lonely in their marriages
So its relative!!!********

They look years younger than their contemporaries with children, have a satisfying career or hobby, encourage a good circle of friends and a holistic approach to life.

For the woman seeking a partner or husband, more "vaseline" to your elbows.

To those not quite there yet, take your time, freeze ur eggs if you're maternal once arriving at 30!! Or consider egg donation IVF or potentially cloning!! (Technologies are fast developing).

Just my OPINION!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Your Ex Sent You A Text: “I Am With Someone Better Than You” – Reply In 3 Words / Advantages Of Being Funny / 10 Things You Don’t Need For A Biblical Wedding: Reno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.