Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,915 members, 7,835,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? (14029 Views)

Can Someone Explain The Message That Jesus Wants To Pass In Luke 22 :36 / Another Luke 16 Controversy : Was Lazarus Even Buried? / The Event Between Satan And Christ: What Readers Do Not Understand In Luke 4:8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 8:25pm On May 07, 2023
Eriokanmi:
■ Are you the only one bearing the name given you from birth? Where did you read in the bible that it was same lazarus who was raised from the dead that was being referred to? Go and sit down my friend. You always sound confused.
So, if you don't believe it is a reference to the same Lazarus, brother of Mary and Martha, then why do you insist that it has to be a true story? undecided

I am not confused, just wondering why your rebuttal to my earlier post. undecided
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by mtngloetiartel: 8:27pm On May 07, 2023
Does the Bible indicate that the soul survives the death of the body?Ezek. 18:4: “The soul* that is sinning—it itself will die.” (*“Soul,” KJ, Dy, RS, NE, Kx; “the man,” JB; “the person,” TEV.)“The concept of ‘soul,’ meaning a purely spiritual, immaterial reality, separate from the ‘body,’ . . . does not exist in the Bible.”—La Parole de Dieu (Paris, 1960), Georges Auzou, professor of Sacred Scripture, Rouen Seminary, France, p. 128.“Although the Hebrew word nefesh [in the Hebrew Scriptures] is frequently translated as ‘soul,’ it would be inaccurate to read into it a Greek meaning. Nefesh . . . is never conceived of as operating separately from the body. In the New Testament the Greek word psyche is often translated as ‘soul’ but again should not be readily understood to have the meaning the word had for the Greek philosophers. It usually means ‘life,’ or ‘vitality,’ or, at times, ‘the self.’”—The Encyclopedia Americana (1977), Vol. 25, p. 236
Ken4Christ:

Burning an object that is physical is not the same thing as burning an object that is spiritual or none tangible as far as this physical world is concerned.

So, the physical body can be burnt up but not the soul of a man.

The soul is simply tormented in the flame but it is not burnt up.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Eriokanmi: 8:31pm On May 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
So, if you don't believe it is a reference to the same Lazarus, brother of Mary and Martha, then why do you insist that it has to be a true story? undecided

I am not confused, just wondering why your rebuttal to my earlier post. undecided
That it wasn't a reference to Mary and Martha's brother doesn't make the story a lie either.
In those days. There were many Peters, James, John...not only the disciples of Jesus Christ were called those names...same as lazarus in question.
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 8:32pm On May 07, 2023
Eriokanmi:
That it wasn't a reference to Mary and Martha's brother doesn't make the story a lie either.
In those days. There were many Peters, James, John...not only the disciples of Jesus Christ were called those names...same as lazarus in question.
Sure, so tell us why exactly you feel that the mention of names essentially negates the parabolic significance of the story. undecided
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Eriokanmi: 8:35pm On May 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Sure, so tell us why exactly you feel that the mention of names essentially negates the parabolic significance of the story. undecided
My response would be...go to the bible and fetch me where else Jesus apoke in parables with a name of somebody mentioned in it other than the one we're talking about
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 8:36pm On May 07, 2023
Eriokanmi:
My response would be...go to the bible and fetch me where else Jesus apoke in parables with a name of somebody mentioned in it other than the one we're talking about
Why does there need to exist a second parable of this kind for this particular story to be valid as a parable? undecided
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by mtngloetiartel: 8:41pm On May 07, 2023
In the Bible, “soul” is translated from the Hebrew neʹphesh and the Greek psy·kheʹ. Bible usage shows the soul to be a person or an animal or the life that a person or an animal enjoys. To many persons, however, “soul” means the immaterial or spirit part of a human being that survives the death of the physical body. Others understand it to be the principle of life. But these latter views are not Bible teachings
Ken4Christ:

Burning an object that is physical is not the same thing as burning an object that is spiritual or none tangible as far as this physical world is concerned.

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by mtngloetiartel: 8:47pm On May 07, 2023
What does the Bible say that helps us to understand what the soul is?Gen. 2:7: “God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul.” (Notice that this does not say that man was given a soul but that he became a soul, a living person.) (The part of the Hebrew word here rendered “soul” is neʹphesh. KJ, AS, and Dy agree with that rendering. RS, JB, NAB read “being.” NE says “creature.” Kx reads “person.”)1 Cor. 15:45: “It is even so written: ‘The first man Adam became a living soul.’ The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.” (So the Christian Greek Scriptures agree with the Hebrew Scriptures as to what the soul is.) (The Greek word here translated “soul” is the accusative case of psy·kheʹ. KJ, AS, Dy, JB, NAB, and Kx also read “soul.” RS, NE, and TEV say “being.”)1 Pet. 3:20: “In Noah’s days . . . a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.” (The Greek word here translated “souls” is psy·khaiʹ, the plural form of psy·kheʹ. KJ, AS, Dy, and Kx also read “souls.” JB and TEV say “people”; RS, NE, and NAB use “persons.”)Gen. 9:5: “Besides that, your blood of your souls [or, “lives”; Hebrew, from neʹphesh] shall I ask back.” (Here the soul is said to have blood.)Josh. 11:11: “They went striking every soul [Hebrew, neʹphesh] that was in it with the edge of the sword.” (The soul is here shown to be something that can be touched by the sword, so these souls could not have been spirits.)
Can the human soul die?Ezek. 18:4: “Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so likewise the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul* that is sinning—it itself will die.” (*Hebrew reads “the neʹphesh.” KJ, AS, RS, NE, and Dy render it “the soul.” Some translations say “the man” or “the person.”)Matt. 10:28: “Do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul [or, “life”]; but rather be in fear of him that can destroy both soul* and body in Gehenna.” (*Greek has the accusative case of psy·kheʹ. KJ, AS, RS, NE, TEV, Dy, JB, and NAB all render it “soul.”)Acts 3:23: “Indeed, any soul [Greek, psy·kheʹ] that does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people.”
Ken4Christ:

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Bearfruit(f): 9:26pm On May 07, 2023
what so ever you do to the least of my brother that you do unto me, when I was hungry you gave me to eat.selfishness,not having love, fairing sumptuously daily.. while Lazarus was desiring to eat.it conot to our day and that is one of the reasons people in our day who cares only about themselves and immediate family alone will end up similar way. LOVE is the greatest,may our love not wax cold in Jesus name amen.care about others too,it pleases the Lord.
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Whoknow: 9:28pm On May 07, 2023
NNTR:
I often tell jokes with actual names of real people, like my missus, friends et cetera for example, used in them. Watch this, when I am telling those jokes, it doesnt necessarily mean, the jokes are entirely lack of elements of truth and realities in the jokes.

Now, so is the case with the parable of the rich man and poor man. Just as truths and realities, exist in my jokes, so truth and reality exist in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus.

Your level of conscious competence, biblical literacy and spiritual maturity, determines how you correctly and fully understand, interpret and identify the truth and realities in the parable

Matthew 10:28
And do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul;
rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in Gehenna

Ken4Christ, please share what your answers are, to the three questions below:
1. Please do combusted things, feel anything like pain, et cetera, after they have been destroyed?
2. Does a decomposing decayed body feel anything like pain?
3. Would a combusted soul, feel anything like pain?

Do you, peradventure, harbour anywhere in your mind that God is a sadist or God, might be a sadist?

cc annyplenty, Whoknow, Mtngloetiartel

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.
God is not a sadist and can never be a sadist, you don't accuse a judge who passes judgement according to the law which justice demands as a sadist. For example in Nigeria it's against the law for anyone to go into kidnapping hence all the citizens know this law but out of negligence one disobeys such law and went ahead and carry out kidnapping and he is eventually caught and he is charged to court, so after examining his offence eventually he was pronounced guilty by the judge, would you accuse the judge that he is a sadist by given right judgement that is demanded of such offence? Or would you say that the judge is wicked?
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Whoknow: 9:39pm On May 07, 2023
mtngloetiartel:
What does the Bible say that helps us to understand what the soul is?Gen. 2:7: “God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul.” (Notice that this does not say that man was given a soul but that he became a soul, a living person.) (The part of the Hebrew word here rendered “soul” is neʹphesh. KJ, AS, and Dy agree with that rendering. RS, JB, NAB read “being.” NE says “creature.” Kx reads “person.”)1 Cor. 15:45: “It is even so written: ‘The first man Adam became a living soul.’ The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.” (So the Christian Greek Scriptures agree with the Hebrew Scriptures as to what the soul is.) (The Greek word here translated “soul” is the accusative case of psy·kheʹ. KJ, AS, Dy, JB, NAB, and Kx also read “soul.” RS, NE, and TEV say “being.”)1 Pet. 3:20: “In Noah’s days . . . a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.” (The Greek word here translated “souls” is psy·khaiʹ, the plural form of psy·kheʹ. KJ, AS, Dy, and Kx also read “souls.” JB and TEV say “people”; RS, NE, and NAB use “persons.”)Gen. 9:5: “Besides that, your blood of your souls [or, “lives”; Hebrew, from neʹphesh] shall I ask back.” (Here the soul is said to have blood.)Josh. 11:11: “They went striking every soul [Hebrew, neʹphesh] that was in it with the edge of the sword.” (The soul is here shown to be something that can be touched by the sword, so these souls could not have been spirits.)
Can the human soul die?Ezek. 18:4: “Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so likewise the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul* that is sinning—it itself will die.” (*Hebrew reads “the neʹphesh.” KJ, AS, RS, NE, and Dy render it “the soul.” Some translations say “the man” or “the person.”)Matt. 10:28: “Do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul [or, “life”]; but rather be in fear of him that can destroy both soul* and body in Gehenna.” (*Greek has the accusative case of psy·kheʹ. KJ, AS, RS, NE, TEV, Dy, JB, and NAB all render it “soul.”)Acts 3:23: “Indeed, any soul [Greek, psy·kheʹ] that does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people.”
God told Adam in the book of Genesis that the day he eat from the tree he asked him not to eat, he shall die but Adam ate from the tree but did not die physically, he rather he died spiritually, when there is physical body there is also spiritual body.
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by constancefriday(m): 9:46pm On May 07, 2023
If you read the scriptures in details you'll notice that the rich man is the same Guy whom Jesus called the rich fool in the parable of the rich fool
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kukutenla: 9:52pm On May 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. I really don't follow! Why do you assume all parables are meant to follow a common theme? And what do you mean by the danger or riches as pertaining to the Kingdom of God? undecided

2. In God's Old Covenant, the term Hell is used in reference to the place of Death — from dust you were made and to dust you shall return - Genesis 3 vs 19 - 22 — the punishment that awaited the unrighteous of the Old Covenant. It was not a literal place but instead a reference to the idea put forth by God Himself which is that those who are condemned will cease to exist upon death. Equally, Heaven, in the Old Law was a reference to the abode of God and nothing more. undecided

As for Eternal reward(Heaven) and Eternal damnation(Hell), those came into existence for mankind through Jesus Christ who brought to mankind access to the Kingdom of God where both locations exist. undecided

3. The Law of Moses was in fact a National Constitution given by God to the people of Israel in the Land of Canaan. Jesus Christ, God's New Covenant is equally the Constitutional Law in God's Nation of Priests aka the Kingdom of God - Exodus 19 vs 6 undecided
Parables are illustrations to buttress a point or another. The point I'm making is Jesus did not identify a central theme in giving the parable of the rich man and lazarus. But so many can be gleaned from it. The danger is riches was established by Jesus himself in his conversation with the rich young man in Luke 18.

Hell is the abode of the devil and his demons in the old testament. It does not mean death as you put it.

Your number 3 is apt. That's why the subject of Hell and Heaven is not a central theme in OT as you have in NT
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 9:56pm On May 07, 2023
Whoknow:

God told Adam in the book of Genesis that the day he eat from the tree he asked him not to eat, he shall die but Adam ate from the tree but did not die physically, he rather he died spiritually, when there is physical body there is also spiritual body.
That is a misconception. Adam was in the presence of God when God gave Him that command and also when God cursed Him, and scripture has it that a 1000 years in the world is like a day in the presence of God. And we know that Adam died less than 1000 years after he was kicked out of the garden of Eden. undecided

Another thing we also know is that Adam did not have a spirit assigned to Him by God. The same breath of God that God breathed into Adam's nose - Genesis 2 vs 6 - 7 - God also put into all living creatures- Genesis 6 vs 15. God made man solely of the clay of this earth hence the reason for God's judgment ---- from dust man was made and to dust man will return when he dies - Genesis 3 vs 19 - 22. undecided
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Whoknow: 10:05pm On May 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
That is a misconception. Adam was in the presence of God when God gave Him that command and also when God cursed Him, and scripture has it that a 1000 years in the world is like a day in the presence of God. And we know that Adam died less than 1000 years after he was kicked out of the garden of Eden. undecided

Another thing we also know is that Adam did not have a spirit assigned to Him by God. The same breath of God that God breathed into Adam's nose - Genesis 2 vs 6 - 7 - God also put into all living creatures- Genesis 6 vs 15. God made man solely of the clay of this earth hence the reason for God's judgment ---- from dust man was made and to dust man will return when he dies - Genesis 3 vs 19 - 22. undecided

Are you trying to insinuate that man has no spirit?
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 10:19pm On May 07, 2023
Kukutenla:
■Parables are illustrations to buttress a point or another. The point I'm making is Jesus did not identify a central theme in giving the parable of the rich man and lazarus.
■But so many can be gleaned from it. The danger is riches was established by Jesus himself in his conversation with the rich young man in Luke 18.
■ Hell is the abode of the devil and his demons in the old testament. It does not mean death as you put it.
■ Your number 3 is apt. That's why the subject of Hell and Heaven is not a central theme in OT as you have in NT
1. I still do not follow as far as your suggestion of some central theme. Can you help by giving me the theme of the parable of the dishonest manager found at the beginning of the same chapter? undecided

2. The rich man in Luke 18 was not a parable at all but an actual encounter Jesus Christ had with a rich man who had troubles, like anyone would, letting go of his riches in order to follow the Kingdom of God. That is why Jesus Christ followed it by saying that with God it is not impossible for a rich man to eventually give up all his riches for the sake of the Kingdom. undecided
18 A religious leader asked Jesus, “Good Teacher, what must I do to get eternal life?”
19 Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? Only God is good.
20 And you know his commands: ‘You must not commit adultery, you must not murder anyone, you must not steal, you must not tell lies about others, you must respect your father and mother ….’[a]”
21 But the leader said, “I have obeyed all these commands since I was a boy.”
22 When Jesus heard this, he said to the leader, “But there is still one thing you need to do. Sell everything you have and give the money to those who are poor. You will have riches in heaven. Then come and follow me.”
23 But when the man heard Jesus tell him to give away his money, he was sad. He didn’t want to do this, because he was very rich.
24 When Jesus saw that the man was sad, he said, “It will be very hard for rich people to enter God’s kingdom.
25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter God’s kingdom.” - Luke 18 vs 18 - 25
Wealth is not a danger of any kind. Jesus Christ understood well that He was asking a lot of the man. If you look at Luke 14 - 25 - 33, the same Jesus Christ urges people to first count the cost before they decide whether to follow Him or not as in order to do so they have to abandon everything — family, friends, marriages, property, wealth, reputation, office/position, businesses, etc., — in order to qualify as His follower. undecided

There is nothing dangerous about it, it is instead that Heaven is meant to cost those who want to go everything they have and so should not be taken lightly by anyone. undecided

3. That is completely wrong! There is no abode of the devil and demons in the Old Testament unless you mistakenly wrote that or something. What God gave to the Israelites as the Covenant He had with them did not include a Hell that is some abode of the devils and demons as you imagine. Rather God spelled out that the options that awaited those of His Old Law were Life — resurrection to live forever in the Land of Israel after the resurrection— or Death — perishing in the grave —, this according to Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20.
15 “Today I have given you a choice between life and death, success and disaster.
16 I command you today to love the Lord your God. I command you to follow him and to obey his commands, laws, and rules. Then you will live, and your nation will grow larger. And the Lord your God will bless you in the land that you are entering to take for your own.
17 But if you turn away from your God and refuse to listen, if you are led away to worship and serve other gods,
18 you will be destroyed. I am warning you today, if you turn away from God, you will not live long in that land across the Jordan River that you are ready to enter and take for your own.
19 “Today I am giving you a choice of two ways. And I ask heaven and earth to be witnesses of your choice. You can choose life or death. The first choice will bring a blessing. The other choice will bring a curse. So choose life! Then you and your children will live.
20 You must love the Lord your God and obey him. Never leave him, because he is your life. And he will give you a long life in the land that he, the Lord, promised to give to your ancestors—Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.” - Deuteronomy 30 vs 15 - 20
See it, right there! There is no mention of a Hell where demons and devils stay or even a place of Eternal torment. Rather God's promise to the righteous was forever in the land of Canaan which He promised to their ancestors. And to the unrighteous, God promised they would perish in the grave — Death as defined in Genesis 3 vs 19 - 11. That is it. undecided

4. The Kingdom of God( which houses the place of eternal damnation and reward) was promised by God in the New Covenant only. undecided
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by seunayantokun(m): 10:28pm On May 07, 2023
Everybody, kindly note that that story is NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, A PARABLE. It is a true life story. A clue is unlike parables of Jesus in which no real person is named, Jesus in this one mentions a real name of a real person, Lazarus, which is the latinate form of Eliezer, a Hebrew name. And the fact that the name is latinate implies the bearer lived at the time of the Roman occupation of Palestine. I thank God Luke also doesn't say it is a parable.
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 10:30pm On May 07, 2023
Whoknow:
■ Are you trying to insinuate that man has no spirit?
I am not insinuating. I am telling you that is exactly what God made clear in Genesis 3 vs 19 - 22 when He informed you that because man did not eat of the tree of Eternal Life, man could not live forever, leading God to cast man out of the garden before that.
19 You will work hard for your food, until your face is covered with sweat. You will work hard until the day you die, and then you will become dust again.I used dust to make you, and when you die, you will become dust again.”
20 Adam[c] named his wife Eve.[d] He gave her this name because Eve would be the mother of everyone who ever lived.
21 The Lord God used animal skins and made some clothes for the man and his wife. Then he put the clothes on them.
22 The Lord God said, “Look, the man has become like us—he knows about good and evil. And now the man might take the fruit from the tree of life. If the man eats that fruit, he will live forever.”
23 So the Lord God forced the man out of the Garden of Eden to work the ground he was made from.
24 God forced the man to leave the garden. Then he put Cherub angels and a sword of fire at the entrance to the garden to protect it. The sword flashed around and around, guarding the way to the Tree of life. - Genesis 3 vs 19 - 24
God reiterated this fact in Genesis 6 when He reduced man's lifespan by way of His Spirit inside of man — the breath of Life that God breathed into man when He made Him belongs to God, and not man undecided
1 - 3 The number of people on earth continued to increase. When these people had daughters, the sons of God saw how beautiful they were. So they chose the women they wanted. They married them, and the women had their children.
Then the Lord said, “People are only human. I will not let my Spirit be troubled by them forever. I will let them live only 120 years.”[a] - Genesis 6 vs 1 - 3
As God said, He will take back His breath from man after man clocks 120 years. And that same breath of life God also put into all living creatures
15 All these animals went into the boat with Noah. They came in groups of two from every kind of animal that had the breath of life.
16 All these animals went into the boat in groups of two, just as God had commanded Noah. Then the Lord closed the door behind Noah. - Genesis 7 vs 15 - 16
Now, Jesus Christ reminded you of the fact that man was created without a spirit of His own when in John 3, He said you only experience a physical birth — from the clay of this earth— when you were born. undecided
5 Jesus answered, “Believe me when I say that everyone must be born from water and the Spirit. Anyone who is not born from water and the Spirit cannot enter God’s kingdom.
6 The only life people get from their human parents is physical. But the new life that the Spirit gives a person is spiritual.
7 Don’t be surprised that I told you, ‘You must be born again.’
8 The wind blows wherever it wants to. You hear it, but you don’t know where it is coming from or where it is going. It is the same with everyone who is born from the Spirit.” - John 3 vs 5 - 8
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by mtngloetiartel: 10:31pm On May 07, 2023
Let me help you to connect the dots.
First of all, keep in mind that God made humans to live forever. It was Adam’s sin that led to death. (Gen. 2:17; 3:17-19; Rom. 5:12) Also, a day before God is 1000 years (2Pet.3:8; Ezekiel 4:6; Numbers 14:34)
Adam actually died the day he ate the fruit from the forbidden tree. He didn't live up to a day. At Genesis 5:5, it was recorded that he lived 930 years and he died. He didn't lived up to a day. So God's warning to Adam about eating the fruit from the forbidden tree was right (Titus1:2)
Whoknow:

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by NNTR: 10:57pm On May 07, 2023
Whoknow:
God is not a sadist and can never be a sadist
Good you know that

Whoknow:
you don't accuse a judge who passes judgement according to the law which justice demands as a sadist.
Let me provide the perfect complement to this comment. Which is:
One doesnt accuse an incorruptible and principle Judge who passes correct and fair judgement according to the law which the course of justice demands, of being a sadist.

Whoknow:
For example in Nigeria it's against the law for anyone to go into kidnapping hence all the citizens know this law but out of negligence one disobeys such law and went ahead and carry out kidnapping and he is eventually caught and he is charged to court, so after examining his offence eventually he was pronounced guilty by the judge, would you accuse the judge that he is a sadist by given right judgement that is demanded of such offence? Or would you say that the judge is wicked?
1. What are the various sentences for committing the crime of kidnapping in Naiyja?
2. Would you accuse a judge of being a sadist for giving right judgement, that is proportional to the kidnapping crime committed?
3. What would you call a judge that gives a sentence that is disproportionate to the crime committed?

Now, please, indulge us here, do you really think that tormenting souls of human beings, in a way that permanently continues and lasts forever, is something that God is looking forward to get pleasure from. Hmm?

I am perceiving that you, just as Ken4Christ does, really believe that, ABBA, a good and loving Influencer, will non stop barbecue burn human beings and souls in the lake of fire FOREVER

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by NNTR: 6:18am On May 08, 2023
constancefriday:
If you read the scriptures in details you'll notice that the rich man is the same Guy whom Jesus called the rich fool in the parable of the rich fool
Sorry to burst your balloon and piss on your parade, but the rich man, at Luke 16:19, (i.e. The Rich Man and Lazarus) is not the same person, at Luke 12:16, when Jesus, a couple of chapters earlier, called someone, a rich fool in the 'The Parable of the Rich Fool'

What prevented you from linking the rich man, at Luke 16:19, (i.e. The Rich Man and Lazarus), to the rich man in 'The Parable of the Unjust Steward' (i.e. Luke 16:1) as well, then? Hmm?

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by NNTR: 6:19am On May 08, 2023
NNTR:
1 Corinthians 15:51-53
51Listen very carefully, I tell you a mystery
[a secret truth decreed by God and previously hidden, but now revealed];
we will not all sleep [in death], but we will all be [completely] changed [wondrously transformed],

52in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at [the sound of] the last trumpet call.
For a trumpet will sound, and the dead [who believed in Christ] will be raised imperishable,
and we will be [completely] changed [wondrously transformed].
53For this perishable [part of us] must put on the imperishable [nature],
and this mortal [part of us that is capable of dying] must put on immortality [which is freedom from death].

Glorified bodies are a necessity for resurrection isnt it?
If not then what does resurrection mean for decomposed bodies then, erhn?
Of course resurrection will happen at the sound of the trumpet

I typed, parables are just like jokes. I never said that parables are jokes

Exactly, that parables are allegory. On every parable you ride on to a truth of something(s).

For example, Jesus with the parable of the rich man and Lazarus revealed truths about what happens in Sheol after death, what goes on in there, how the place is divided into two sections with a chasm separating the two sides

So, I repeat, parables are just like jokes and just because either dont necessarily need to be taken literally, it doesnt mean that parables or even jokes dont have rings of truth and reality in them.

So, in answering your question, I repeat, there is a time, there's a point, there are parts when and when not to take parable literally.

seunayantokun:
Everybody, kindly note that that story is NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, A PARABLE. It is a true life story. A clue is unlike parables of Jesus in which no real person is named, Jesus in this one mentions a real name of a real person, Lazarus, which is the latinate form of Eliezer, a Hebrew name. And the fact that the name is latinate implies the bearer lived at the time of the Roman occupation of Palestine ...
I often tell jokes using actual names of real people, like names of my missus, friends et cetera for example, are used in the jokes, but watch this, when I am telling those jokes, it doesnt necessarily mean, the jokes are entirely lack of elements of truth and realities in them.

Listen seunayantokun beloved, the reason why the rich man's name was not mentioned, is simply because not only, is his name an inconsequential scrap of information, but is nothing other than a persona non grata

seunayantokun:
... I thank God Luke also doesn't say it is a parable.
Luke 16:1
He also said to His disciples:
“There was a certain rich man who had a steward, and an accusation was brought to him that this man was wasting his goods.

Please dont inflict this delusion and misconception upon yourself, by saying that Luke 16:19-31 isnt a parable. For crying out loud, our Lord and Saviour of the whole wide world had been on a trot, reeling out, back to back, one parable after another parable

The law of first mention, in Luke 5:36 where it states: 'He told them this parable' established a precedent, pattern and regular repetition, of Jesus' modus operandi, which effectively is, telling stories and using simple illustrations, designed to explain and make clearer different aspects and types of moral and/or spiritual lessons. This, Jesus did, throughout the whole the chapters in book of Luke

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by seunayantokun(m): 7:07am On May 08, 2023
NNTR:

I often tell jokes using actual names of real people, like names of my missus, friends et cetera for example, are used in the jokes, but watch this, when I am telling those jokes, it doesnt necessarily mean, the jokes are entirely lack of elements of truth and realities in them.

Listen seunayantokun beloved, the reason why the rich man's name was not mentioned, is simply because not only, is his name an inconsequential scrap of information, but is nothing other than a persona non grata

Luke 16:1
He also said to His disciples:
“There was a certain rich man who had a steward, and an accusation was brought to him that this man was wasting his goods.

Please dont inflict this delusion and misconception upon yourself, by saying that Luke 16:19-31 isnt a parable. For crying out loud, our Lord and Saviour of the whole wide world had been on a trot, reeling out, back to back, one parable after another parable

The law of first mention, in Luke 5:36 where it states: 'He told them this parable' established a precedent, pattern and regular repetition, of Jesus' modus operandi, which effectively is, telling stories and using simple illustrations, designed to explain and make clearer different aspects and types of moral and/or spiritual lessons. This, Jesus did, throughout the whole the chapters in book of Luke

You can insult me, I don't care. I said thank God Luke doesn't say it's parable. That has nothing do with whatever allusion or delusion you want to make. I have not joined that statement with any other thing than a fact that it is. If you arrive at any implications by that, you are on your own. I just implore all children of God on this platform to avoid your poison of erroneous interpretation of the Word of God. AGAIN I SAY THAT STORY IS NEVER A PARABLE but a narration of a real life event. You're at liberty to make out anything from it. I have no time to drag it with you neither do I have time for a long discussion, it suffices to urge true followers of Christ to go back to their Bible and study it rather than listening to falsehood. Don't be deceived, there is a place of torment waiting for Christ-less souls. Hell is ever waiting.
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:37am On May 08, 2023
Ken4Christ:

Burning an object that is physical is not the same thing as burning an object that is spiritual or none tangible as far as this physical world is concerned. So, the physical body can be burnt up but not the soul of a man. The soul is simply tormented in the flame but it is not burnt up.

Perhaps all these people got their research wrong coming to tell you that what Jesus said about Lazarus and the rich man was a parable and not a real life event.
You've always said those telling you this truth will burn in your imaginary hell for not agreeing with you that Lazarus and the rich man authenticate the existence of a place of torment after death.
Now tell them all the things you've been telling me for enlightening you about the real meaning of Hell! smiley
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:44am On May 08, 2023
seunayantokun:
Everybody, kindly note that that story is NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, A PARABLE. It is a true life story. A clue is unlike parables of Jesus in which no real person is named, Jesus in this one mentions a real name of a real person, Lazarus, which is the latinate form of Eliezer, a Hebrew name. And the fact that the name is latinate implies the bearer lived at the time of the Roman occupation of Palestine. I thank God Luke also doesn't say it is a parable.

MaxInDHouse:
It's just an illustration that you need to understand because according to Jesus he was only rich and he didn't treat Lazarus badly rather Lazarus DESIRE whatever falls from the rich man's table! Luke 16:21

These are the symbolic terms you need to know their meanings:
©Lazarus
©Rich man
©Gate
©Crumbs from the tables
©Sours on Lazarus's body
©Dogs licking his sours
©Their death
©Abraham's bosom
©Hades (Hell)
©Torment
©Father Abraham
©Drop of water
©Chasm fixed between them
©Rich man's five brothers
©Moses and the Prophets

For deeper reasoning remember Moses lived when the Israelites were slaves in Egypt and all Israelites in Egypt were slaves therefore none among the Israelites was rich they were all poor slaves in Egypt. Moreover when they left Egypt all of them left with wealth because the Egyptians gave them everything they desired so they were all rich.
So how can Moses be a contemporary of two Israelites where one is rich while the other is extremely poor?
The rich man couldn't be an Egyptian because he referred to Abraham as "father"

If anyone wish to know the meaning of those symbolic terms i'm still very much around.

I am Maximus one of Jehovah's Witnesses! smiley

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by NNTR: 9:27am On May 08, 2023
seunayantokun:
You can insult me, I don't care.
2 Timothy 2:15
'Study and do your best to present yourself to God approved,
a workman [tested by trial] who has no reason to be ashamed,
accurately handling and skillfully teaching the word of truth.
'

No one has insulted you, seunayantokun beloved
You took to heart the observational statement made about you.

If you had done your 2 Timothy 2:15 research properly well and rightly divided the word of truth, you wont come here claiming that Luke 16:19, (i.e. The Rich Man and Lazarus) is not a parable

seunayantokun:
I said thank God Luke doesn't say it's parable. That has nothing do with whatever allusion or delusion you want to make.
There are many other things that Luke didnt say, but that doesnt mean that all what Luke omitted to explicitly say, can be used as evidence to push out

seunayantokun:
I have not joined that statement with any other thing than a fact that it is.
The fact of the matter, is that Jesus never, talked about the Rich man and Lazarus, saying, anything like:
'This isnt a parable, but it distinctively is a true life story of a Rich man and Lazarus'.

seunayantokun:
If you arrive at any implications by that, you are on your own.
I know what I bring to the table. So, seunayantokun beloved, trust me when I say I am not afraid to eat alone or be on my own.

I am so gloriously blessed and so confident, in knowing all what I bring to the table, that I am willing to be on my own and eat alone until the right person(s) turn up to join on the same table

seunayantokun:
I just implore all children of God on this platform to avoid your poison of erroneous interpretation of the Word of God.
Why is it so hard for some to admit and tell the glaring truth?
Well, what is food to one person, may be bitter poison to the other person, especially, when soot, is calling an avalanche, black

seunayantokun:
AGAIN I SAY THAT STORY IS NEVER A PARABLE but a narration of a real life event.
For all its worth, fyi, writing in all caps is the written equivalent of shouting, which is generally considered to be inappropriate and rude. So, next time, think twice before pressing Caps Lock. Ok?

seunayantokun:
You're at liberty to make out anything from it. I have no time to drag it with you neither do I have time for a long discussion, it suffices to urge true followers of Christ to go back to their Bible and study it rather than listening to falsehood.
Some posters are like sugar coated tablets, sweetened from outside but very bitter from inside. Careful now, your bitterness is showing.

Salt and sugar look the same. Need I say more

seunayantokun:
Don't be deceived, there is a place of torment waiting for Christ-less souls.
1. To your understanding, are human beings' soul immortal, just as God is immortal?
2. To your understanding, what is the name of this 'place of torment'?
3. To your understanding, what is the purpose of this 'place of torment'?

seunayantokun:
Hell is ever waiting.
Hell, is a place featuring in Greek mythology. It doesnt exist in the Hebrew concept

Sheol (i.e. with its two sections separated by a chasm) and Lake of Fire, is where you need to polish yourself on and correctly know whats ever waiting

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Imasurvivor: 9:30am On May 08, 2023
The rich man did nothing to help Lazarus.God expects us to show empathy, love and care to our neighbors…
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by FRANCISTOWN: 10:18am On May 08, 2023
EmyGod:

Talk what you know, don't play with your life for God is not mocked. Bible is word of God inspired by holyspirit of God.
Which of the gods? YHVH, Allah, Zeus, Odin, Krishna, Brahmana or who?
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by FRANCISTOWN: 10:20am On May 08, 2023
Gkay1:

Meaningless talk
Same as the Bybull. Meaningless book
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by FRANCISTOWN: 10:39am On May 08, 2023
layzie:

Hmmm. Just to correct some erroneous claims here.

First, Abraham was so rich he had his own private army. He equally died very rich.

Isaac his son was so rich the country of Gerar where he went to escape the famine had to ask him to leave, cos he was richer and more powerful than them.

Then David, died a very rich king and his successor- his son Solomon, was even richer than him.

Your claim that Abraham and David gave all they had and were left with nothing, is incorrect.

I didn't say Isaac was not rich.
I didn't say Abraham was not rich
I didn't say David was not rich

Genesis 25:5 And Abraham gave all that he had unto Isaac.
Yet Isaac was broke, that he had to start from the bottom. The reason was because, all Abraham had left was blessings and gifts.
He gave the blessings to Isaac and the gifts to other children.

It was until after the death it Abraham that Isaac began to prosper

Genesis 25:11 And it came to pass after the death of Abraham, that God blessed his son Isaac; and Isaac dwelt by the well Lahairoi.

And here was how

Genesis 26:12 Then Isaac sowed in that land, and received in the same year an hundredfold: and the LORD blessed him.

Show me anywhere it is written in the Bible that Abraham gave material gifts to Isaac? Abraham was already broke.

And as for David and Solomon

1 Chronicles 29:2 Now I have prepared with all my might for the house of my God the gold for things to be made of gold, and the silver for things of silver, and the brass for things of brass, the iron for things of iron, and wood for things of wood; onyx stones, and stones to be set, glistering stones, and of divers colours, and all manner of precious stones, and marble stones in abundance.

What's does it mean to give with all your might? It simply means David gave his all. All that he had.

If David left great inheritance for Solomon, why would god be impressed that Solomon didn't ask for riches but wisdom?
Solomon became rich through gifts, gifts and Women.
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Ken4Christ: 11:16am On May 08, 2023
MaxInDHouse:

Perhaps all these people got their research wrong coming to tell you that what Jesus said about Lazarus and the rich man was a parable and not a real life event.
You've always said those telling you this truth will burn in your imaginary hell for not agreeing with you that Lazarus and the rich man authenticate the existence of a place of torment after death.
Now tell them all the things you've been telling me for enlightening you about the real meaning of Hell! smiley

Russell and Rutherford have brainwashed you and demons have blocked your eyes and blinded your eyes from seeing the truth. Even when you see it, you can't believe it.
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Ken4Christ: 11:23am On May 08, 2023
NNTR:
Good you know that

Let me provide the perfect complement to this comment. Which is:
One doesnt accuse an incorruptible and principle Judge who passes correct and fair judgement according to the law which the course of justice demands, of being a sadist.

1. What are the various sentences for committing the crime of kidnapping in Naiyja?
2. Would you accuse a judge of being a sadist for giving right judgement, that is proportional to the kidnapping crime committed?
3. What would you call a judge that gives a sentence that is disproportionate to the crime committed?

Now, please, indulge us here, do you really think that tormenting souls of human beings, in a way that permanently continues and lasts forever, is something that God is looking forward to get pleasure from. Hmm?

I am perceiving that you, just as Ken4Christ does, really believe that, ABBA, a good and loving Influencer, will non stop barbecue burn human beings and souls in the lake of fire FOREVER

God never planned on tormenting humans in hell. Hell was prepared for the devil and his angels.

But because man or the first Adam sinned, the entire human race became subject to Satan. And if Satan is destined for hell, where will his subject be? The same place of course.

So, what God did is a rescue mission. We were all headed for hell already. So, he sent Jesus to redeem us from that horrible place.

Those who believe will be delivered from it. Those who do not will continue on that road to hell.

God cannot infringe on the right of Satan to claim the souls to hell because the souls willingly submitted themselves to Satan by rejecting Christ.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Does The Muslim Also Pay Tithes Or Offering? / Amazing Scientific Proof That Hell Exists. / Is Kissing Before Marriage A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.