Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,505 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? (13856 Views)

Can Someone Explain The Message That Jesus Wants To Pass In Luke 22 :36 / Another Luke 16 Controversy : Was Lazarus Even Buried? / The Event Between Satan And Christ: What Readers Do Not Understand In Luke 4:8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Whoknow: 1:52pm On May 07, 2023
layzie:

Hmmm. Just to correct some erroneous claims here.

First, Abraham was so rich he had his own private army. He equally died very rich.

Isaac his son was so rich the country of Gerar where he went to escape the famine had to ask him to leave, cos he was richer and more powerful than them.

Then David, died a very rich king and his successor- his son Solomon, was even richer than him.

Your claim that Abraham and David gave all they had and were left with nothing, is incorrect.

The life of Abraham can actually be used to explain the question from OP.
Despite his stupendous wealth, Abraham was very humble and helpful. When his herdsmen and lots herdsmen quarelled cos the land couldn't contain all their animals, even though he was richer, he asked Lot to choose any part of the land for himself and he (Abraham) will go the opposite direction. When he saw 3 strangers under hot sun, he RAN to meet them and begged them to allow him give them water to wash their feet and some food to eat B4 continuing on their journey. When his servant prepared the food, he SERVED it. When 4 kings attacked Sodom and Gomorrah and took Lot captive, Abraham left his business and led his private army with the help of his friends to attack those kings and rescued Lot.

Now compare this, to the character of that rich man with Lazarus.

God is not against riches, the problem is when u allow the riches cloud ur sense of humility, charity and love for your fellow men.

You are right, God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 1:59pm On May 07, 2023
Eriokanmi:
Hmmm! The this guy again, always confusing himself. So, lazarus mentioned in the bible was also a parable? Why was Lazarus mentioned in the story...was he a utopian Lazarus?
The Lazarus who has 2 sisters was not a beggar so why would you confuse him as being the same man? undecided

And why can't the name Lazarus be used in a parable? What Law says a name can't be used? undecided
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 2:01pm On May 07, 2023
maticar:
you must be JW
Prove to me that you are yourself better then the JWS by infact directly countering by way of scripture any of the points made. undecided

The icky of all this is that I never said that Eternal damnation- Hell fire - which is in the Kingdom of God does not exist. undecided
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Whoknow: 2:04pm On May 07, 2023
Barristter07:

You are intelligent, I asked that question to make us realize not everything in that story is meant to be taken as literal. The story didn't happen, its like an idiom that when taken at face value doesn't make any sense. But has much more deeper meaning than conveyed at surface level.

Good morning Sir.

I want to ask you, does hell exist?
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 2:06pm On May 07, 2023
maticar:

every person good or evil will have a eternal body on the ressurection day

the good people will have christ kind of body as they ascend, the bad guys will also take on flesh, judged and thrown whole into lake of fire
there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth
This is wrong because we will all be like the angels is what is written of all those who are resurrected, not just the "good" people. What this means is that even the bad people will raised with an eternal body hence the reason why Jesus Christ said they will be condemned to eternal damnation - Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46. undecided
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Whoknow: 2:06pm On May 07, 2023
Barristter07:

Then we need to ask: are people in hell presently? If yes, the above can't be true, because we know many people teeth follow them to the graves. Not any imaginary location.

Take notice of this, while the text said both of them were buried, it continues like they still continue to exist as humans, " the rich man lifted up is Eyes" but we know the eyes of a dead man doesn't function.
Do you know that there is physical body and spirit body?
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 2:08pm On May 07, 2023
dyera:
β–  There is no everlasting fire, no amount of sinful lives a person can live would make them deserve to burn in everlasting fire. Use your common sense. If you are not a psycho, you will simply kill the evil people, instead of tormenting them forever.
1. Are you insinuating that Jesus Christ lied in Matthew 25 vs 31 - 47 when He pointed out that the place of Eternal Damnation is just as real as Eternal reward? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Emmanuel30a: 2:08pm On May 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. Please engage your senses abeg! Moses, the one who in fact gave to Israel the Old Law,never indicated the existence of a place of torment after death. God never suggested the existence of any such throughout the 40 years He led the Israelites through the Israelites feeding them the details of the Law. undecided
"I am D WAY,D TRUTH&grin LIFE, no 1 comes 2 D FATHER; EXCEPT THROUGH ME..."... "I am D FIRST&grin LAST,D BEGINNING&grin END,D ALFA&OMEGA..." "& I saw d deads of both youngs&adults,etc; in d tent(or nest...?) of JUDGEMENT..." I won't put my nerves&verves,etc; in2 "dis/these"... So, u may not serves ur reserves... I wudn't serves my reserves...,or if I were u; I wud reserves&conserves my nerves&verves,etc; 4 wat it/dey deserves... So, how are u...? Wat did u deserves...? Wat u preserves...? I mean, wat did u deserves,etc; dat u can't reserves&conserves...? Mayb wat u can't serves&reserves...,etc; is/are wat u deserves? Are u playing 4d reserves or with d reserves,...?
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 2:09pm On May 07, 2023
Barristter07:
β–  After death, in what form? Human form ?
flesh-blood & Spirit form like Jesus Christ when He was raised and ascended into Heaven and will eventually return again. undecided
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Nobody: 2:12pm On May 07, 2023
Weedhustler:
Abeg see where Dem pack una president like 3 days bread.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Whoknow: 2:15pm On May 07, 2023
dyera:

There is no everlasting fire, no amount of sinful lives a person can live would make them deserve to burn in everlasting fire. Use your common sense. If you are not a psycho, you will simply kill the evil people, instead of tormenting them forever.
So what did God said will happen to evil people at the last day.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 2:17pm On May 07, 2023
dyera:
β–  The wages of sin is death. All the talk about hell in the bible is merely a talk about the process by which the eternal death would occur. There is nothing more dreadful to a human or devil than to cease exist, be deprived of eternal life.
β– The doctrine of everlasting fire is a doctrine of the devil that breeds insincere christians that accept Jesus because they don't want to experience everlasting torment, take away the everlasting torment and you will see them reject Jesus.
β–  There is a major difference between accepting Jesus because you want to escape everlasting torment and accepting Jesus because he saved you from death and gave you the chance to live forever. For the first you are accepting Jesus as a result of fear, for the second you are accepting Jesus as a result of love.
1. The wages of sin was death before Jesus Christ came to change things up by offering the condemned sinners a chance at Eternal life and redemption from sin. undecided

2. So Jesus Christ, the one who in fact taught of Eternal damnation as a possible end for those who continue in sin after receiving eternal life is a liar - Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46 ? undecided

3. What you just wrote makes no sense. There was no "everlasting" before Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the one who offered men everlasting life in this life, to begin with. So what you cling to there has no meaning. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 2:18pm On May 07, 2023
Gorgeous1guy:
JW teachings.... Read the scripture for spiritual understanding
Show me that you have yourself read the scriptures and are better than JWs who you look down on. Or are you just an empty tin can who only repeats what his pastors as mogs feed him much like the JWs? undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Whoknow: 2:20pm On May 07, 2023
maticar:

flesh and spirit for as is Jesus now

If our Lord opens his hands and chest right now, you will see the marks of crucifixion - so why is a spirit man (son of God) bearing a mark he took while on earth as flesh??

remember after his death he walked with them 40 days and all eyes saw him

he told the doubting apostle on that day to touch his wound and put his hand in his body to feel the marks

but he didnt walk through the door, he appeared as a spirit would

now thats the body we will have in eternity

You are right.
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Whoknow: 2:21pm On May 07, 2023
Barristter07:

No sir , he didn't appear as a Spirit.

He said and I quote ' A spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have '

So the question again: In what form if spirit don't have flesh and bones ?

Does body appear and disappear like Jesus did?

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 2:24pm On May 07, 2023
efficiencie:
β–  Imagine rubbish talk. So the parable that involved real characters like Abraham was not to be literally interpreted.
β–  So the hell where the worms don't die and the fires don't cease is also an imaginary place (Mark 9: 47-48). She will be speaking arrant nonsense with so much boldness that smacks of impostor syndrome and doing so with false authority.
1. What real characters? Abraham and Moses who were recorded to have slept in their graves over 1000 years before the story was told or what? undecided

2. Hell(Eternal damnation) and Heaven, the places of Eternal damnation and Eternal Reward that Jesus Christ described He also said will not be open for admission of souls until after He returns and judges the sheep and goats in the Kingdom of God - Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46. So how can the story told from the context of the Old Law be literally about that places which exist instead in the Kingdom of God, God's New Covenant? undecided
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Whoknow: 2:29pm On May 07, 2023
tete7000:

He was already eating scrap, he didbt need invi9for that again. To invite him is to invite him to his table. Hope that is clear now?

As a rich man you see somebody at your dustbin picking food to eat and you have a better food to give to that person. Will you show him more dustbin to pick from, or give him a better food which you have?

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by sajb(m): 2:33pm On May 07, 2023
He committed the sin of ommission

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 2:37pm On May 07, 2023
Kukutenla:
β–  For example, if you say it's a parable and thus, so many aspects of it are not true, it then begs the question at what point you consider the central message itself to be true.
β–  Secondly, there are many lessons to be gleaned from that parable and it will sound ridiculous to claim one message is above the other.
β–  Lastly, if there was no hell, what exactly did Jesus come to do then and was hell only built after he came to earth?
. 1. I am afraid I do not understand. Jesus Christ used the parable to tell His followers that no one will be sent back from the grave to send any messages to the the living. That is the message of the parable and is removed from all the other goings ons in the story which are meant to distract the uninformed reader. So what is your question?? undecided

2. Distractions you mean? Well, here's the thing, you can choose to read additional meanings into the story for yourself but know that whatever meanings you do may end up not conforming with the Truth of God in the Kingdom of God. In that case, you end up with what is a head full of lies. So better to allow Jesus Christ lead the way as far as what He wants you to learn from the story. undecided

3. The icky of all this is that I never said that Eternal damnation- Hell fire - which is in the Kingdom of God does not exist. What I instead posited is that the place of Eternal damnation- Hell fire -- is a part of the Kingdom of God --- God's New Law and Covenant,
--- and not of the Old Contract/Covenant God made before Jesus Christ, the Old Law of Moses. undecided
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Barristter07: 2:40pm On May 07, 2023
Whoknow:

Do you know that there is physical body and spirit body?

Yes, So I ask: Which body was Jesus reffering to at Matt 10:28?
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Whoknow: 2:45pm On May 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
This is wrong because we will all be like the angels is what is written of all those who are resurrected, not just the "good" people. What this means is that even the bad people will raised with an eternal body hence the reason why Jesus Christ said they will be condemned to eternal damnation - Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46. undecided

Please can you explain, the meaning of eternal damnation?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by tete7000(m): 2:50pm On May 07, 2023
Whoknow:

As a rich man you see somebody at your dustbin picking food to eat and you have a better food to give to that person. Will you show him more dustbin to pick from, or give him a better food which you have?

Before you jump into a discussion, try and always get yourself conversant with the prelude.
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by romioray: 2:52pm On May 07, 2023
The rich man did not live to the purpose God entrusted him with riches. It is to help feed the hungry, clothe the naked, to liberate the captive, to give shelter and refuge to those in need, to bring to pass much good. If you have riches and look down on the poor and be filled with pride because of your riches, be rest assured you'll land yourself in hell. See scriptures in the attached files.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Whoknow: 2:55pm On May 07, 2023
Barristter07:

Yes, So I ask: Which body was Jesus reffering to at Matt 10:28?

He was.referring to the physical body.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 2:56pm On May 07, 2023
Whoknow:
Please can you explain, the meaning of eternal damnation?
Read Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46 for an explanation from Jesus Christ Himself who declared it is as real as Eternal reward. undecided
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by lomprico(m): 3:08pm On May 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. Please engage your senses abeg! Moses, the one who in fact gave to Israel the Old Law,never indicated the existence of a place of torment after death. God never suggested the existence of any such throughout the 40 years He led the Israelites through the Israelites feeding them the details of the Law. undecided

Are you a practicing Mosaic law or Christianity?

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Whoknow: 3:13pm On May 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Read Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46 for an explanation from Jesus Christ Himself who declared it is as real as Eternal reward. undecided
The GoodNews Bible said in verse 41, I quote ; Then he will say to those on his left, 'away from me, you that are under God's curse! Away to the eternal fire which has been prepared for the Devil and his angels!.

So my question is what so you understand by eternal fire?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Whoknow: 3:15pm On May 07, 2023
tete7000:

Before you jump into a discussion, try and always get yourself conversant with the prelude.

You have not still answer the question.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by tete7000(m): 3:17pm On May 07, 2023
Whoknow:

You have not still answer the question.
The answer you seek are in my posts up there, you can look for them and have peace. You don't jump into conversation I was having with someone else and be asking me unreasonable questions.
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by lomprico(m): 3:21pm On May 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. Are you insinuating that Jesus Christ lied in Matthew 25 vs 31 - 47 when He pointed out that the place of Eternal Damnation is just as real as Eternal reward? undecided

Why are you always confusing yourself? You say there is nothing like hell fire now you are concurring that there is a place of eternal damnation. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 3:27pm On May 07, 2023
lomprico:
β–  Are you a practicing Mosaic law or Christianity?
1. Do I need to practice the Old Law to know the Old Law and its place in the lives of the lost sheep of Israel? undecided
Re: Why Did The Rich Man In Luke 16 Go To Hell? by Kobojunkie: 3:29pm On May 07, 2023
Whoknow:
β–  The GoodNews Bible said in verse 41, I quote ; Then he will say to those on his left, 'away from me, you that are under God's curse! Away to the eternal fire which has been prepared for the Devil and his angels!.

So my question is what so you understand by eternal fire?
Scripture also informs you that at the time of the resurrection, all those who will be raised will be like the angels. So, what part of that passage are you actually having a problem with? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Communist Leaders Killed 250 MILLION Because Of Atheism. ATHEISM motivated them / Seven Books Of Moses / Is Church Wedding Important?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.