Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,154 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:52 AM

Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings (27985 Views)

NBA Wants Live Telecast Of Election Tribunal Proceedings / Buhari’s Ability To Speak English Dominate Tribunal’s Proceedings / Tinubu Opposes Wife’s Bid For Deputy Senate Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by peekspot(m): 1:32pm On May 17, 2023
The President-elect Bola Tinubu has opposed the application by his closest rival, Atiku Abubakar and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for a live broadcast of the proceedings of the election petition.

In response to the application, Tinubu and his vice, Kashim Shettima, through the team of their lawyers led by Chief Wole Olanipekun said the application is an “abuse of the processes of this honourable court.”

They implored the Presidential Election Petition Court to dismiss the application, arguing that the relief demanded by the applicants is not such that the court could grant it.

The respondents said, “With much respect to the petitioners, the motion is an abuse of the processes of this honourable court.”

They further said the request of Atiku and his party should not be thrown out because the court “is not a rostrum or a soapbox. It is not also a stadium or theatre. It is not an arena for ‘public’ entertainment.”

They stated, in the counter affidavit, that the application was linked to policy formulation of the court, which is outside the PEPC’s jurisdiction as constituted.

“The application also touches on the powers and jurisdiction invested in the President of the Court of Appeal by the Constitution, over which this honourable court as presently constituted cannot entertain.

“The application touches on the administrative functions, which are exclusively reserved for the President of the Court of Appeal.

“The application is aimed at dissipating the precious judicial time of this honourable court.

“The said application does not have any bearing with the petition filed by the petitioners before this honourable court.

“It is in the interest of justice for this honourable court to dismiss the said application filed by the petitioners,” they said.

In an attached written address, the respondents criticised the applicants’ reference to the fact that virtual proceedings were allowed during the COVID-19 pandemic.

They argued that Atiku and the PDP failed to highlight the fact that practice directions were made by the respective courts for the exercise.

“Another angle to this very curious application is the invitation it extends to the court to make an order that it cannot supervise.

“The position of the law remains, and we do submit that the court, like nature, does not make an order in vain, or an order which is incapable of enforcement,” the respondents stated.

They further said that “At the very best, this application is academic, very otiose, very unnecessary, very time-wasting, most unusual and most unexpected, particularly, from a set of petitioners, who should be praying for the expeditious trial of their petition.

“Petitioners have brought their application under Section 36(3) of the Constitution which provides that the proceedings of a court/tribunal shall be held in public.

“The word ‘public’ as applied under Section 36(3) of the Constitution has been defined in a plethora of judicial authorities to mean a place where members of the public have unhindered access, and the court itself, sitting behind open doors, not in the camera.

“Even in situations where a class action is presented, the particular people constituting the class being represented by the plaintiffs or petitioners are always defined in the originating process.

“Here, in this application, the public at whose behest this application has been presented is not defined, not known, not discernable.

“Beyond all these, it is our submission that the court of law must and should always remain what it is, what it should be and what it is expected to be: a serene, disciplined, hallowed, tranquil, honourable and decorous institution and place.

“It is not a rostrum or a soapbox. It is not also a stadium or theatre. It is not an arena for ‘public’ entertainment.

“With much respect to the petitioners, the motion is an abuse of the processes of this honourable court.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/05/its-abuse-of-court-tinubu-opposes-live-broadcast-of-election-petition-proceedings/

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by LeoDeKing: 1:33pm On May 17, 2023
I have said it, I will say it again?

Why should court proceedings be altered because of one incompetent illiterate hiding his incompetence behind religion to get power?

Buhari filed cases at the Presidential Petition Tribunal, there was no live broadcast.

Atiku did same, no live broadcast

Even obituarist did same at state level, no live broadcast.

And I believe there is a legal purpose for that.

Why then should the legal process be abused because of one illiterate who can't pass ordinary Philosophy in school? Is this the first time there will be Election Petition Tribunal?

223 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by Originality007: 1:37pm On May 17, 2023
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by suckmedownthere(f): 1:40pm On May 17, 2023
Don't make me laugh....... grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by Naira20: 1:42pm On May 17, 2023
Tinubu is scared.I thought they said 2023 Presidential Election is the freest and best election ever conducted?

Even UK wey teach una dey televise important cases.

409 Likes 36 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by YouandiAllofus: 1:49pm On May 17, 2023
What are they planning to do under the duvet? Aapc and eyeneck, pls come out from the bedroom into the living room.

232 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by FreeStuffsNG: 1:54pm On May 17, 2023
The mob following Mr Obi is looking for another Rivers State Returning Officer to post their pictures online and intimidate. The court must not fall for the plot.

The video coverage has no direct bearing to the real case. It is just an avoidable time wasting relief the court must throw In the bin where it rightly belongs.
Check my signature for free stuffs!

136 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by Ceenaija(m): 1:54pm On May 17, 2023
Before nko, they will never like Nigeria to see and hear how they stole Peter Obi's mandate.

117 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by kingsways: 1:54pm On May 17, 2023
Thieves

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by AntiTerrorist: 1:55pm On May 17, 2023
What is Mr Tinubu (a kleptomaniac drug baron) afraid of? Televising court cases is a norm all over the world. We saw that of Donald J. Trump, we saw that of Ekeremadus, etc. It is now clear to me that Tinubu is a confirmed disgusting criminal.

235 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by DatNiggaDaz: 1:55pm On May 17, 2023
Tinubu is afraid and really desperate.

Abuse of court ko, abuse of cocain ni

149 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by LadyExcellency: 1:56pm On May 17, 2023
APC hates transparency. Lagos State Government was the first to fight against the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act, and then APC fought against BVAS and realtime transmission of Election results to the IREV. This is a dangerous trend and a danger to democracy.

Secrecy is the hallmark of Occultic groups and Autocratic regimes.

Bitter, anti-democratic party.

165 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by kingsways: 1:56pm On May 17, 2023
LeoDeKing:

Why should court proceedings be altered because of one incompetent illiterate hiding his incompetence behind religion to get power?

Buhari filed cases at the Presidential Petition Tribunal, there was no live broadcast.

Why then should the legal process be abused because of one illiterate who can't pass ordinary Philosophy in school? Is this the first time there will be Election Petition Tribunal?

You are the most stewpid person I have come across in a long while

272 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by LeoDeKing: 1:57pm On May 17, 2023
kingsways:

Mynd44 nlfpmod Seun Dominique Mukina2 lalasticlala

116 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by NzogbuNzogbu: 1:59pm On May 17, 2023
Who airs tribunal proceeding on air?

When we have buch of headless mob that are very emotional they need court proceeding to be dragged to the internet where they can blackmail with tears and emotions

Allow the lawyers do their job and get ready for cursing the judiciary like inec

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by SpatialKing(m): 1:59pm On May 17, 2023
LeoDeKing:

You claim you won an election
Yet you are scared of public hearing

Is a shame that Tinubu needed Muslim Muslim ticket to win... Religious bigot

113 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by coolitempa(f): 2:00pm On May 17, 2023
kingsways:

You need to look into the mirror then you will get your answer. There is no precedence for broadcasting supreme court in nigeria or in any western world.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by AntiTerrorist: 2:00pm On May 17, 2023
LeoDeKing:

True or false? Why are you pained?

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by nairavsdollars(f): 2:01pm On May 17, 2023
Nigerians voted. They need to know what happened

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by Parachoko: 2:01pm On May 17, 2023
I agree with Asiwaju

It shouldn't be televise

103 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by coolitempa(f): 2:02pm On May 17, 2023
SpatialKing:

You claim you won an election
Yet you are scared of public hearing

Is a shame that Tinubu needed Muslim Muslim ticket to win... Religious bigot

Another religious bigot has shown his face. Shetima was chosen for his leadership qualities.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by slimfit1(m): 2:05pm On May 17, 2023
The election was a public affair so the judgment must be a public show.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by Afamsi: 2:34pm On May 17, 2023
LeoDeKing:

how does live transmission of proceedings constitute an abuse of legal process. Only dark souls shy away from light to conceal the evil in them

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by novaris(m): 2:40pm On May 17, 2023
LeoDeKing:

another hound dog that's needs to be locked up in an asylum sighted

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by novaris(m): 2:43pm On May 17, 2023
all that which was shrouded in secrecy will be made public

this should have been an avenue for association of past criminals to prove to the whole world that they won clean and fair but alas they doing what they know how to do best

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by novaris(m): 2:44pm On May 17, 2023
Afamsi:
how does live transmission of proceedings constitute an abuse of legal process. Only dark souls shy away from light to conceal the evil in them

souls that abhors light

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by novaris(m): 2:47pm On May 17, 2023
if you steal from the best, you won't have what
makes them the best

those who at in the dead of the night shamelessly stole the people's mandate must return it by fire by force

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by LeoDeKing: 2:48pm On May 17, 2023
novaris:

another hound dog that's needs to be locked up in an asylum sighted
Mynd44 nlfpmod dominique seun lalasticlala

91 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by Ofunaofu: 2:59pm On May 17, 2023
LeoDeKing:

Honestly, you are becoming a nuisance

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by GeneralPula: 3:02pm On May 17, 2023
The respondents said, “With much respect to the petitioners, the motion is an abuse of the processes of this honourable court.”

They further said the request of Atiku and his party should not be thrown out because the court “is not a rostrum or a soapbox. It is not also a stadium or theatre. It is not an arena for ‘public’ entertainment.”

Lol..

Gbas gbos everywhere..

Court no be Netflix.. grin

96 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tinubu Opposes Live Broadcast Of Tribunal Proceedings by YeyeGbami: 3:05pm On May 17, 2023
yes

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Boko Haram: President Buhari We Are Tired Of 'I Will!' - Kayode Ogundamisi / See The Paymaster Caught With N15m Cash That Sacked Ondo Speaker Akindele / Toyin Saraki Visits A Pregnant Mother Of Triplets Before Surgery. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.