Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,959 members, 7,828,395 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties (28834 Views)

Injustice Against A Widow Over Late Husbands Properties / Why Nigerian Husbands Kill Wives In US –investigation / "I Will Die, If I Give My Wife Money" - Man Tells Lagos Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:13pm On May 30, 2023
seunayantokun:
■ Correct judgement.
You see, if you have lived with your wife for that long, she has become part of your success. Are you right to want to run away with the gains and leave her life empty, having done you no evil, even if you have had a disagreement? Nooooooo. That's not correct. Put your daughter, sister, or mother in her shoes, how would you feel?
Thank you! undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by riverbird: 3:14pm On May 30, 2023
Na all this kind yeye judgements dey make men no wan marry again angry, una just dey give men more reasons not to get married, after all a man can impregnate any woman and still have his baby....ndiara.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Yoighaman(m): 3:14pm On May 30, 2023
Congratulations 🎉 to all women in Nigeria. We have been waiting for this time.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Triangles1(m): 3:14pm On May 30, 2023
Zonefree:

grin cheesy
Motor will not jam her abeg cheesy

No be u dey say motor go jam oh.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:14pm On May 30, 2023
riverbird:
Na all this kind yeye judgements dey make men no wan marry again angry, una just dey give men more reasons not to get married, after all a man can impregnate any woman and still have his baby....ndiara.
Go marry your fellow men make women rest abeg! undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Yoighaman(m): 3:16pm On May 30, 2023
seunayantokun:

Correct judgement.
You see, if you have lived with your wife for that long, she has become part of your success. Are you right to want to run away with the gains and leave her life empty, having done you no evil, even if you have had a disagreement? Nooooooo. That's not correct. Put your daughter, sister, or mother in her shoes, how would you feel?

But the man settled her by buying another property for her (in Mile 2, Lagos) nau, didn't you read that part?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Onyinyechiugly1(f): 3:16pm On May 30, 2023
God bless the judge! Posterity will be kind to him or her.

This is a right step.

I hope other states are seeing this?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by MrHighSea: 3:16pm On May 30, 2023
Hakimi where are you
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Ykc2(m): 3:17pm On May 30, 2023
The problems with so called educated Nigerians is they want to practice what is not suitable for them,how many Nigerians knew how their husband or husbands made their money?in western world government knows how much every individual made in a year,in nigeria is not like that,a drug baron ,yahoo yahoo guy,skull miner can become landlord tomorrow without the wife knowing how the money came about now the same wife wants to fight a man like that in court tomorrow?in the same nigeria a judge awarded 4 children to FFK and leave the mother of the children with nothing yet his tribe's men were hailing the judge just for the hate the ve for the wife's tribe's people,anyways our women knew better
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by sucess001(m): 3:18pm On May 30, 2023
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by riverbird: 3:18pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Go marry your fellow men make women rest abeg! undecided

No worry that no suppose concern you, just face una court judgment grin
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:19pm On May 30, 2023
Princedapace:

It cant work.
So, I worked hard, gather properties, my wife decides to cheat or quit marriage and claim ownership of the said property that I worked for?
Rubbish!
She should claim such ownership if she also contributed to the purchase of such property
...read
FreeStuffsNG:
It said men hold such properties in ‘constructive trust’ for the family.

A Lagos High Court sitting in Ikeja has added a new vista to the rights of women in Nigeria as it declares that wives are joint owners of the properties with their husbands as men hold such properties in ‘constructive trust’ for the family.

The court ruled that “indirect contributions of a wife to the marital property should not be quantified in monetary terms in order to entitle her to a share of the property”.

“Constructive Trust,“ the court said, quoting the English Master of Rolls, Lord Denning, “is a trust imposed by law wherever justice and good conscience require a remedy by which the court can enable an aggrieved spouse or party to obtain restitution and the success of the party’s case does not depend on his or her direct physical or monetary contribution to the building or acquisition of the property.”
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Saao(m): 3:19pm On May 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
This is a revolutionary judgement . It no longer matters any more whose name is on the original property titles. The properties of the man is jointly owned by him and his wife even if it's paid for by the man.
maybe you didn't read everything. The headline is misleading. The wife made financial contribution along the line she made her joint owner of the property so the husband ought to seek for her consent before the sale

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Onyinyechiugly1(f): 3:20pm On May 30, 2023
OloYeOfEgbE:
We in IGBOLAND are saying come take.....oooooo

Release MNK una no obey, sack IGP una no obey,its Women rights in your mind..hehehehehehe

Okay oooooo

One down, more to follow suit.

I hope u know all lands belong to the government, and your ancestors didn't come down with any?

The entire IGBOLAND, can't do shim, when that verdict will be passed.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Sltp: 3:21pm On May 30, 2023
Na men wen dey marry I blame

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:21pm On May 30, 2023
Ykc2:
The problems with so called educated Nigerians is they want to practice what is not suitable for them,how many Nigerians knew how their husband or husbands made their money?in western world government knows how much every individual made in a year,in nigeria is not like that,a drug baron ,yahoo yahoo guy,skull miner can become landlord tomorrow without the wife knowing how the money came about now the same wife wants to fight a man like that in court tomorrow?in the same nigeria a judge awarded 4 children to FFK and leave the mother of the children with nothing yet his tribe's men were hailing the judge just for the hate the ve for the wife's tribe's people,anyways our women knew better
Marriage is and has always been a business partnership and partners in a business are entitled to a share of business profits and property.
FreeStuffsNG:
A Lagos High Court sitting in Ikeja has added a new vista to the rights of women in Nigeria as it declares that wives are joint owners of the properties with their husbands as men hold such properties in ‘constructive trust’ for the family.
The court ruled that “indirect contributions of a wife to the marital property should not be quantified in monetary terms in order to entitle her to a share of the property”.

“Constructive Trust,“ the court said, quoting the English Master of Rolls, Lord Denning, “is a trust imposed by law wherever justice and good conscience require a remedy by which the court can enable an aggrieved spouse or party to obtain restitution and the success of the party’s case does not depend on his or her direct physical or monetary contribution to the building or acquisition of the property.”
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Princedapace(m): 3:21pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
...read
That is pure rubbish. I would rather hire a house help which is cheaper and ensure that my wife has no claim to my properties except she contributed to it.
The few properties i have bought now, I know how hard it was to get them. No body can black mail me. Many ladies in Nigeria, u even give them capital to start up business, they will ruine it. Rubbish

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by thundafire: 3:21pm On May 30, 2023
jahsharon:

The female judge is MAD. This case will get to the Supreme Court. So all a woman need to do in her life is to fucck a man, then she automatically owns half of his life’s hard work.

E no go better for her Mama. Na motor go jam her
shut up na una go dey beat wives and claim right
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Ykc2(m): 3:22pm On May 30, 2023
seunayantokun:

Correct judgement.
oga nigeria is not western world ooh can the judge go and tell northerners not to marry 13 years old girl?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:22pm On May 30, 2023
Saao:
maybe you didn't read everything. The headline is misleading. The wife made financial contribution along the line she made her joint owner of the property so the husband ought to seek for her consent before the sale
Are you certain you rea it yourself?
FreeStuffsNG:

This isn't about how much money one partner contributed but the fact that the property belongs to the family and not the man alone. undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by MarketDispatch: 3:23pm On May 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
This is a revolutionary judgement . It no longer matters any more whose name is on the original property titles. The properties of the man is jointly owned by him and his wife even if it's paid for by the man.

Read the article...don't jump into conclusion with the sensational headline.

There has to be contribution towards the property by both party.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:23pm On May 30, 2023
Princedapace:
■ That is pure rubbish. I would rather hire a house help which is cheaper and ensure that my wife has no claim to my properties except she contributed to it.
The few properties i have bought now, I know how hard it was to get them. No body can black mail me. Many ladies in Nigeria, u even give them capital to start up business, they will ruine it. Rubbish
Don't bother marrying at all since everything you make during the marriage is considered part and parcel of the Marriage — a business Partnership. undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by SmartyPants(m): 3:24pm On May 30, 2023
jahsharon:

The female judge is MAD. This case will get to the Supreme Court. So all a woman need to do in her life is to fucck a man, then she automatically owns half of his life’s hard work.

E no go better for her Mama. Na motor go jam her

That's not what the judgment says though i am certain it will be set aside on appeal.

What the judgment says is that in a marriage where both partners contribute substantially, then property is held to be jointly held.

The issue that arises then is, one can never sell their property if the other does not concur.

This is not practical so i expect, on appeal, the superior Court will set it aside.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:25pm On May 30, 2023
MarketDispatch:
■ Read the article...don't jump into conclusion with the sensational headline.There has to be contribution towards the property by either party
Read it again...
FreeStuffsNG:

She doesn't have to have first contributed money to have a share in the marital property. That she is your wife and as such contributes her time and efforts to your success is more than enough to give her the right to part of the profits of the marriage. undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by dvkot(m): 3:26pm On May 30, 2023
Buy your properties in your mother name
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Onyinyechiugly1(f): 3:26pm On May 30, 2023
Mindlog:

Let the man go f.u.c.c.k his fellow man and raise a family with him, so no woman can lay claim to half of his life's hard work.

Don't mind them.

Let them keep weeping.

You want to keep a woman, yet you don't want her to be part of your properties or earnings?
Some of your wives don't work, they stay back and do the job of an unpaid maid.....working tirelessly just to make sure your lives are simple.
Don't you know how much you would pay, if those jobs are outsourced?

Then in the future, when you are not satisfied with her anymore, u chase her to leave with nothing, except her name.

Always wanting women to be at their mercy!
Tueh!

Una dey try well well!
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by advanceDNA: 3:28pm On May 30, 2023
Mindlog:

Let the man go f.u.c.c.k his fellow man and raise a family with him, so no woman can lay claim to half of his life's hard work.

Why will the woman's contribution to the property be the free pvssy nature gave her.......did she fvck her self with a base ball bat..?? did she swallow air and got pregnant??

You make it look like the woman did the man a favor by birthing kids for him...so he must pay back with property.... grin ....they both gave each other kids cos she the man contribute to the sex and raised children togegher...why will the woman now lay claims over financial property because of sex and children she ddnt do alone in the first place...

All these funny laws will eventually backfire on women cos men wont marry them anymore

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Emanodimo(m): 3:28pm On May 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Indeed, a revolutionary judgement.

No private ownership but jointly ownership under marriage.

So, for those that register a buiz at CAC with one director, what will be the judge's position.

For those, that bought shares in a public org, what will be the judge case.

Well, there are two sides to a judgement.

We keep learning every day...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Excellentmind: 3:30pm On May 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

There is nothing revolutionary about this case; it is an attempt to create illusionary sense of right to ownership of property not owned, and this is not known to the law. The judgement will not stand and those already jubilating over it are deceiving themselves.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On May 30, 2023
Emanodimo:
Indeed, a revolutionary judgement. No private ownership but jointly ownership under marriage.
So, for those that register a buiz at CAC with one director, what will be the judge's position. For those, that bought shares in a public org, what will be the judge case. Well, there are two sides to a judgement. We keep learning every day...
Marriage is a defacto partnership. undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Emanodimo(m): 3:31pm On May 30, 2023
SmartyPants:

That's not what the judgment says though i am certain it will be set aside on appeal.

What the judgment says is that in a marriage where both partners contribute substantially, then property is held to be jointly held.

The issue that arises then is, one can never sell their property if the other does not concur.

This is not practical so i expect, on appeal, the superior Court will set it aside.

That's very certain except the husband choose not to play the game.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? / Retired Soldier Takes Over The Kitchen. Says "Help Your Wives, You Wont Die" / My Daddy Abandoned Responsibility All Because He Is 50year Waiting To Die..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.