Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties (28754 Views)

Injustice Against A Widow Over Late Husbands Properties / Why Nigerian Husbands Kill Wives In US –investigation / "I Will Die, If I Give My Wife Money" - Man Tells Lagos Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by seunayantokun(m): 3:34pm On May 30, 2023
Yoighaman:

But the man settled her by buying another property for her (in Mile 2, Lagos) nau, didn't you read that part?
How true is that? Note that the veracity of that statement was not established by the court.
Also, note that they are equal partners. Did they sit down together and agree to sell the property in dispute?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by isabi2lof: 3:34pm On May 30, 2023
RighteousI:

Another characteristic of alpha males is that they actually resort to violence to prove that they are alpha males.

So what will happen if the alpha males decide to use violence and reject the courts decision? If the wife tries to use the courts or police to enforce the law then the alpha males may decide to send boys to rape, beat and amputate the legs of the wife.

This is not Europe where you have bastardized, useless, and effeminate males that will sign half of their cheque to the wife.

In Africa, you get killed for claiming what's not yours.

That's why I called them alfa malus 😅
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On May 30, 2023
Blackdisciple:
Justice Dorcas T. Olatokun

Na female judge ai,
So what happens o the wife's properties, I'm just asking
The same! So long as it is property acquired during the marriage, na the same. undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by integrity16(m): 3:40pm On May 30, 2023
When I saw the headline, I immediately concluded that this judgement must surely come from a female Judge, not that I have anything against the judgement though.

I hope if the reverse should be the case, this judgement should also apply.

I have seen women who possess valuable properties and then her family comes to take over her properties after her unfortunate demise.

I believe the defendant can appeal this judgement and win. He would only have to compensate the wife. How can a judge be making reference to a law in England to give judgement in a Nigerian court, I don't understand this perhaps lawyers in the house can make clarifications as regards this.

"Constructive Trust" is there something like that in property law in Nigeria??

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by advanceDNA: 3:40pm On May 30, 2023
Onyinyechiugly1:

Don't mind them.

Let them keep weeping.

You want to keep a woman, yet you don't want her to be part of your properties or earnings?
Some of your wives don't work, they stay back and do the job of an unpaid maid.....working tirelessly just to make sure your lives are simple.
Don't you know how much you would pay, if those jobs are outsourced?

Then in the future, when you are not satisfied with her anymore, u chase her to leave with nothing, except her name.

Always wanting women to be at their mercy!
Tueh!

Una dey try well well!

Unpaid maid?? So the food she dey chop for free does not have monetary value....dey live rent free....bills free...have her kids cared not by her money... if there is car and other comforts..she will get it all for free.

yet somehow its all unpaid to you... grin ...

I'm never surprised at a woman comment on matters like this anyway.... una entitlement mentality is always on a principality level....

Dont agree to stay at home naaa...nobody force una......but u women will agree cos free pvssy from nature easy to contribute....yet u will come and claim victim...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Advocatesam(f): 3:42pm On May 30, 2023
I submit that this judgement will not likely stand the test of time, chances are that it will be overruled on appeal. Lots of loopholes are apparently manifesting here. Unresolved issues as to the marital status of the man, the state of contract between employer and employee, equitable right of redemption, especially between spouses, the position of joint ownership between partners, duty of disclosure among couples etc. Well, at best, this appears to me as a kind of judicial rascality coming from a Lagos High Court bench. How it will sail through on appeal is like a mirage to me. My opinion please.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by djseanjohn77: 3:43pm On May 30, 2023
Sablexxxtoons:
Don't sensationalise the judgement.. the woman contributed severally towards that property hence the judgement

"This inference of trust, the one for the other is readily apparent when each has made a financial contribution to the purchase price or the mortgage installment."

I bet you didn't read the whole story, so you didn't see the part that mentioned the property was bought even before she was married. How then did she contribute?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by nedekid: 3:44pm On May 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
This is a revolutionary judgement . It no longer matters any more whose name is on the original property titles. The properties of the man is jointly owned by him and his wife even if it's paid for by the man.
The man will probably apeal and get it overturned.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by wirinet(m): 3:46pm On May 30, 2023
jahsharon:

The female judge is MAD. This case will get to the Supreme Court. So all a woman need to do in her life is to fucck a man, then she automatically owns half of his life’s hard work.

E no go better for her Mama. Na motor go jam her

I support the judgement and I am sure the supreme court will uphold the judgement. A woman cannot be married to a man for 35 years and all her contributions to the success of the family will be termed null and void. She must have contributed financially, morally, spiritually and otherwise to the family. If the man had hired a cook, a house cleaner, a nanny and oloshos for 35 years, I am sure it would be more than the cost of the house.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:48pm On May 30, 2023
wirinet:
I support the judgement and I am sure the supreme court will uphold the judgement. A woman cannot be married to a man for 35 years and all her contributions to the success of the family will be termed null and void. She must have contributed financially, morally, spiritually and otherwise to the family. If the man had hired a cook, a house cleaner, a nanny and oloshos for 35 years, I am sure it would be more than the cost of the house.
Him no go get mouth to talk at all! undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Princedapace(m): 3:48pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Don't bother marrying at all since everything you make during the marriage is considered part and parcel of the Marriage — a business Partnership. undecided
i will marry, she can go and work, let me do nothing then and inherit her sweat!
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Emanodimo(m): 3:48pm On May 30, 2023
seunayantokun:
Turn it the other way around, would wives be glad to share theirs with their husbands in the same terms and spirit?

Nevertheless, I support the judgement

Some wives will accept it if vice versa.

I guess that's what some of my Igbo brothers have seen ahead, that makes them to take interest in building their buiz, house and car before marriage... Consequently, that makes some of their wives to be humble in marriage, hence they work to be financially responsible and endeavor to train their children as prize gift. They understand the consequence, if they didn't.

Well, the judgement can further reduce the interest of marriage in subsequent time.

We learn everyday.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:49pm On May 30, 2023
Princedapace:
■ i will marry, she can go and work, let me do nothing then and inherit her sweat!
Na the eejit wey go marry your kain me go dey wonder about. undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Princedapace(m): 3:51pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Na the eejit wey go marry your kain me go dey wonder about. undecided

Oh, so it is wrong for me to do nothing and probably stay at home and raise kids or run one business that I keep failing in while my wife works her ass out, then, I divorce her after 10 years and claim partnership of her sweat, right?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:51pm On May 30, 2023
Emanodimo:
■ Some wives will accept it if vice versa. I guess that's what some of my Igbo brothers have seen ahead, that makes them to take interest in building their buiz, house and car before marriage... Consequently, that makes some of their wives to be humble in marriage, hence they work to be financially responsible and endeavor to train their children as prize gift. They understand the consequence, if they didn't. Well, the judgement can further reduce the interest of marriage in subsequent time. We learn everyday.
So, throughout the marriage, your ibo brothers acquire no properties or businesses? And you swallow that ridiculous nonsense for an excuse? undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by laprince(m): 3:51pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
I hope the first wife reads this and weeps over her foolish decision not to wed in the courts, so she can at least warn her daughters never to make the same mistake she did. undecided

I think the court also accepts customary marriage as legit. I read so some time ago.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:51pm On May 30, 2023
Princedapace:
■ Oh, so it is wrong for me to do nothing and probably stay at home and raise kids or run one business that I keep failing in while my wife works her ass out, then, I divorce her after 10 years and claim partnership of her sweat, right?
If a wife does nothing— brings no value to your life and existence— why marry in the first place? Go marry your fellow men abeg! undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by wirinet(m): 3:53pm On May 30, 2023
Princedapace:

i will marry, she can go and work, let me do nothing then and inherit her sweat!

If she is the one working, then you can make your own contributions by cooking, cleaning, taking care of the children, helping with their homework and serving her well in the other room. Then you will be entitled to "inherit her sweat" when you decide to go your separate ways.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Princedapace(m): 3:53pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
If a wife does nothing— brings no value to your life and existence— why marry in the first place? Go marry your fellow men abeg! undecided
But I will also add value to her life while she works na
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:53pm On May 30, 2023
laprince:
■ I think the court also accepts customary marriage as legit. I read so some time ago.
I read somewhere that Lagos honors customary marriages that took place within its state and not from outside. I may be wrong! undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by wirinet(m): 3:54pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
So, throughout the marriage, your ibo brothers acquire no properties or businesses? And you swallow that ridiculous nonsense for an excuse? undecided
The igbo culture is so misogynistic. The treat women like property bought and sold with no rights whatsoever.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:54pm On May 30, 2023
Princedapace:
■ But I will also add value to her life while she works na
Meaning you don't plan to do anything then. So, what is there to debate? undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by baralatie(m): 3:54pm On May 30, 2023
The court cannot grant equal righ to the ownership of a property bought in the husband's name.
The op was mischievous and if the lower court did so only made life difficult for th woman.
But if there is is vidence of contribution to the existence of the actualisation of the said property either directly by contributory funds or as examples listed in this case >then the judge can intervene on behalf of the woman on the basis of fairness
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Princedapace(m): 3:54pm On May 30, 2023
wirinet:

If she is the one working, then you can make your own contributions by cooking, cleaning, taking care of the children, helping with their homework and serving her well in the other room. Then you will be entitled to "inherit her sweat" when you decide to go your separate ways.
Surely, now u are talking!

We have to wait until when women would accept this.
For now, no one shares a dime from what they didnt contribute to.
We talk as if men dont also contrubute in raising kids grin
A lot of homes have house helps who do cleaning and cooking!
The woman must contribute money to any property she claims for
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by seunayantokun(m): 3:55pm On May 30, 2023
Emanodimo:

Some wives will accept it if vice versa.

I guess that's what some of my Igbo brothers have seen ahead, that makes them to take interest in building their buiz, house and car before marriage... Consequently, that makes some of their wives to be humble in marriage, hence they work to be financially responsible and endeavor to train their children as prize gift. They understand the consequence, if they didn't.

Well, the judgement can further reduce the interest of marriage in subsequent time.

We learn everyday.

Yeah, you're right there.
All I pray for is that we all become unselfish. If we all are well-behaved, marriage will not become an anathema.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:56pm On May 30, 2023
baralatie:
The court cannot grant equal righ to the ownership of a property bought in the husband's name.
The op was mischievous and if the lower court did so only made life difficult for th woman.
But if there is is vidence of contribution to the existence of the actualisation of the said property either directly by contributory funds or as examples listed in this case >then the judge can intervene on behalf of the woman on the basis of fairness
Read what the judge in fact said....
FreeStuffsNG:
It said men hold such properties in ‘constructive trust’ for the family.

A Lagos High Court sitting in Ikeja has added a new vista to the rights of women in Nigeria as it declares that wives are joint owners of the properties with their husbands as men hold such properties in ‘constructive trust’ for the family.
The court ruled that “indirect contributions of a wife to the marital property should not be quantified in monetary terms in order to entitle her to a share of the property”.
“Constructive Trust,“ the court said, quoting the English Master of Rolls, Lord Denning, “is a trust imposed by law wherever justice and good conscience require a remedy by which the court can enable an aggrieved spouse or party to obtain restitution and the success of the party’s case does not depend on his or her direct physical or monetary contribution to the building or acquisition of the property.”
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Nicenixon: 3:56pm On May 30, 2023
I know a lot of people won't read what's up there but just jump to comment, anyways, the husband is an irresponsible mad man. If I am the judge, he will even pay damages. Some men are disgrace to real men.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:57pm On May 30, 2023
Princedapace:
■ Surely, now u are talking! We have to wait until when women would accept this.
For now, no one shares a dime from what they didnt contribute to. We talk as if men dont also contrubute in raising kids grin A lot of homes have house helps who do cleaning and cooking! The woman must contribute money to any property she claims for
Why do you first have to wait for that to happen when it is the Law? undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by wirinet(m): 3:57pm On May 30, 2023
Princedapace:

Surely, now u are talking!

We have to wait until when women would accept this.
For now, no one shares a dime from what they didnt contribute to.
We talk as if men dont also contrubute in raising kids grin
A lot of homes have house helps who do cleaning and cooking!
The woman must contribute money to any property she claims for
We don't have to wait for women to accept it, the English common law and the courts have already accepted it. If the man takes hus wife to court and can prove he has made significant contributions to the marriage, the court will rule they share the properties in accordance to their contributions.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Princedapace(m): 3:59pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Why do you first have to wait for that to happen when it is the Law? undecided

Becus women arent playing such!
How many of the ladies u know agress to marry a man who stays at home or does very little stuff financially?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Princedapace(m): 4:00pm On May 30, 2023
wirinet:

We don't have to wait for women to accept it, the English common law and the courts have already accepted it. If the man takes hus wife to court and can prove he has made significant contributions to the marriage, the court will rule they share the properties in accordance to their contributions.
In this same country where ladies dont even want to marry a man who earns 30k as salary, where on earth will u find a Nigerian lady who wants to marry a man who does nothing or brings very unreliable source of income for marriage? Whereeeeeeeee?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by hokafor(m): 4:01pm On May 30, 2023
It seems like this gold diggers want to carry that their madness from western world enter Nigeria. Well they should all prepare for the consequences

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Parents Are Using Their Lives To Ruin My Future!!! / 12 States Where Men Support Hitting Women Who Argue With Their Husbands - NDHS / "My Mistake Is That I Married Poor Men" - Kenyan Mom Of 11 Married To 2 Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.