Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,299 members, 7,836,308 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties (28882 Views)

Injustice Against A Widow Over Late Husbands Properties / Why Nigerian Husbands Kill Wives In US –investigation / "I Will Die, If I Give My Wife Money" - Man Tells Lagos Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Tonyblessed(m): 2:48pm On May 30, 2023
RighteousI:
Get your facts right. The title of this post is misleading.
The high court has not granted equal ownership to women.

The judge in this case only made this personal pronouncement in regards to this case.

Only the house of assembly can pass such a law and that will never happen in a male dominated legislature.

And besides I urge the women in Nigeria and Africa not to rely on any court judgment for rights to the husband's property because their lives will be at risk.

This is violent Africa, do you actually believe that the average and wicked Nigerian man can be forced into giving half of his property to the wife? You better run for your life, he will definitely kill you or he will send boys to rape and beat you up.

They would not read and understand it is a personal judgement.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by seunayantokun(m): 2:48pm On May 30, 2023
Jogs1900:

Wahala.

What of the man's first wife's interest? The judge didn't consider that.

Does it mean despite marrying a woman under customary law, one can still marry another woman under statutory law?
The first wife should have asked to be joined in the case.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by RighteousI: 2:48pm On May 30, 2023
isabi2lof:
We're getting there grin

Omo tears go plenty for this thread 😭😭😭

Wahala for alfa malus .

Another characteristic of alpha males is that they actually resort to violence to prove that they are alpha males.

So what will happen if the alpha males decide to use violence and reject the courts decision? If the wife tries to use the courts or police to enforce the law then the alpha males may decide to send boys to rape, beat and amputate the legs of the wife.

This is not Europe where you have bastardized, useless, and effeminate males that will sign half of their cheque to the wife.

In Africa, you get killed for claiming what's not yours.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Xano(m): 2:51pm On May 30, 2023
Abujaexpress:
It cannot stand. It will be appealed. I will work and build a house and a woman is using her own money the way she wants and even sending endlessly to her family, then I want to dispose off the property for an important issue, then a court will say the woman is a co-owner and to enjoy the proceeds of the sales?

The woman can only be a co-owner if she partly financed the acquisition of the property in any way.

She
Prenup would be necessary
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Tektronics12: 2:51pm On May 30, 2023
You need to get Married First. Don't be Naive
jahsharon:

The female judge is MAD. This case will get to the Supreme Court. So all a woman need to do in her life is to fucck a man, then she automatically owns half of his life’s hard work.

E no go better for her Mama. Na motor go jam her
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Abemy(m): 2:52pm On May 30, 2023
Judges stylishly double as law makers in this clime, naturally, they are supposed to interpret laws, but where they lawk a balanced interpretation, or they emotionally feel for any party to a case, they infuse their personal feelings and pronounce it as judgment. It then becomes law in Nigeria.

For those of you that are in the know of how other nations of the world's laws are interpreted in their courts, does courts promulgate laws in the name of referencing judgment?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Advancedman(m): 2:53pm On May 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

https://www.arise.tv/lagos-court-grants-wives-equal-rights-over-husbands-properties/

For this particular case everything and anything tied to this man in this life and beyond should be revoked and given to the wife until he's stark naked then flog 40 strokes of octopurial koboko for each time he messed up and rescued by the wife.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Pakwel(m): 2:54pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
That is how it ought to be in marriage. The man's marriage property equally belongs to the woman, and the woman's marriage property equally belongs to her husband. Simple! undecided
I kmew my mumu girl most put mouth in this one. I was just going down i knew you most open your dirty mouth

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by chloride6: 2:55pm On May 30, 2023
The way appeal court will squash this case eh? grin
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Fuckyoumod: 2:55pm On May 30, 2023
jahsharon:

The female judge is MAD. This case will get to the Supreme Court. So all a woman need to do in her life is to fucck a man, then she automatically owns half of his life’s hard work.

E no go better for her Mama. Na motor go jam her
I'm a single guy, there is this property I bought in Lagos, 2 years ago.

I don't want my wife to come and tell me tomorrow that she also has a claim to my property.

So, I bought the property in my mom's name and kept the documents myself. I have also decided to buy everything I own in my mom's name.

Its better for the woman that gave birth to me to claim the property than for a rebellious wife to claim my sweat tomorrow.

Please men avoid statutory marriage.

White and traditional marriage is enough married.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Blitzerz: 2:56pm On May 30, 2023
Misinterpreted judgement

It was a joint ownership

A judge cannot make laws
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by seunayantokun(m): 2:57pm On May 30, 2023
nwakibie3:
Nonsense judgement

Correct judgement.
You see, if you have lived with your wife for that long, she has become part of your success. Are you right to want to run away with the gains and leave her life empty, having done you no evil, even if you have had a disagreement? Nooooooo. That's not correct. Put your daughter, sister, or mother in her shoes, how would you feel?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Xano(m): 2:59pm On May 30, 2023
Mankindman:
The implication of this judgment will make Nigeria to review the Marriage act.
It is time for prenuptial contract,
Marriage in community of property and
Marriage according to the law of Nigeria.
Thank you.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by EDOLUWA: 2:59pm On May 30, 2023
No need to mention the first wife, the court just established the fact that the sale of the house is cancelled due to the fact that there is no clear consent from the wife that brought him to the court.

In other words he must seek the clear written consent of his wives in the future for such transaction. So the old wife now has mouth to demand her own right too.

bukatyne:
This judgment feels somehow to me.

Or maybe the story is not clear enough.

When did he marry the second wife who took him to court? What about the first wife's stake in this going by the law used to judge the case?

If the story was about a man with just one wife, I agree with the judgment.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Microwhy: 3:00pm On May 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
This is a revolutionary judgement . It no longer matters any more whose name is on the original property titles. The properties of the man is jointly owned by him and his wife even if it's paid for by the man.
Story..
This is Africa.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by LaRosa01: 3:00pm On May 30, 2023
Lagos state government need to fix the Lagos state judiciary,this judgements are what are called activist judgements,attempt to twist the law to make laws,this judgment is not backed by any law or precedence.I expect the Court of appeal to do the needful.
They want to bring western madness though the back door.soon one judge would rule that gayism is legal in the name of social justice
FreeStuffsNG:

https://www.arise.tv/lagos-court-grants-wives-equal-rights-over-husbands-properties/

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by tunjilana: 3:00pm On May 30, 2023
If his claim that they didnt legally marry till 2001 is true then that means she was also common law as at the time the property was purchased in the 80s, so on what ground was the first wife excluded

Secondly if his claim that he paid 3.75 million is true and the woman only plaid 200k, then on what ground was she awarded joint ownership and the 1st wife excluded...didnt they both stay home to raise kids

And also will the judge award such property belonging to a female to her husband just solely cos he was around and married to her when the purchase happened?

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by seunayantokun(m): 3:01pm On May 30, 2023
Blitzerz:
Misinterpreted judgement

It was a joint ownership

A judge cannot make laws
A court's pronouncement is viewed as the correct interpretation of the relevant extant law(s).
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Sooroptimist1: 3:04pm On May 30, 2023
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by seunayantokun(m): 3:05pm On May 30, 2023
Tonyblessed:
They would not read and understand it is a personal judgement.

It's a precedent for a similar case in future if it's not overturned at a (higher) court of appeal.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Mustack: 3:05pm On May 30, 2023
Dpen11:
Love this judgement

Una go like am na..
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Lithiumite: 3:06pm On May 30, 2023
Dpen11:
Love this judgement

All men!! On your guards!! We have all become endangered species......but hakimi technique will come to our rescue

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Fedrams: 3:07pm On May 30, 2023
What if the father and mother that train the man. Woman that just come from nowhere will just come to inherite what she did not contribute

FreeStuffsNG:

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by cktheluckyman: 3:08pm On May 30, 2023
RighteousI:

Another characteristic of alpha males is that they actually resort to violence to prove that they are alpha males.

So what will happen if the alpha males decide to use violence and reject the courts decision? If the wife tries to use the courts or police to enforce the law then the alpha males may decide to send boys to rape, beat and amputate the legs of the wife.

This is not Europe where you have bastardized, useless, and effeminate males that will sign half of their cheque to the wife.

In Africa, you get killed for claiming what's not yours.

the high court is not the highest court in Nigeria.This case will eventually get to both the appeal and supreme courts.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by crusufixo(m): 3:09pm On May 30, 2023
Hakimi mode loading for many Nigerian men.... smiley
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:09pm On May 30, 2023
Fiscus105:
If people can be be going to court to test the laws of the land 。◕‿◕。provided the judges ready to stand tall and defend constitution. The constitution we have is enough to take naija to greater heights but corruption won't allow
I have said this same since 2009 but Nigerians are just too quick to find ways to rationalize their lazy attitude towards testing the law for themselves . undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Lithiumite: 3:09pm On May 30, 2023
Jogs1900:

Wahala.

What of the man's first wife's interest? The judge didn't consider that.

Does it mean despite marrying a woman under customary law, one can still marry another woman under statutory law?

Yes but the law only knows one husband one wife.....you can decide to be like delay but the law would only recognise the only one you bring under the act
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Bakrabas: 3:09pm On May 30, 2023
I don't need a will my property will be shared base on Quran explanation.

Or I settle for Ashraf Hakimi methods
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 3:11pm On May 30, 2023
Bakrabas:
I don't need a will my property will be shared base on Quran explanation. Or I settle for Ashraf Hakimi methods
Stop telling yourself this lie! Go to many moslems homes to find out how that lie destroyed many families. undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Chenu60: 3:12pm On May 30, 2023
VIDEO: We're Now Challenging A Sitting President - Sen Datti Ahmed Yusuf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP5JOJsjnrY
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by stallionng: 3:12pm On May 30, 2023
Good as it stands, hopefully too the wife's properties are subject also to joint ownership?
These has formed a precedence to be quoted and abused if the wife's properties are not so jointly ownedp
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by saysoo: 3:13pm On May 30, 2023
Lifepen:
Men will learn to be careful of how they get married now
black people are diff from the West. It will be disastrous here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

BEATING YOUR KIDS; Discipline Or Abuse? / 5 Generations Photo A Nigerian Man Shared To Celebrate Mother's Day / Mother Ties Her Child On A Pillar In Her House (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.