Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,521 members, 7,836,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties (28898 Views)

Injustice Against A Widow Over Late Husbands Properties / Why Nigerian Husbands Kill Wives In US –investigation / "I Will Die, If I Give My Wife Money" - Man Tells Lagos Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by MrBroke(m): 4:01pm On May 30, 2023
Gat no business with this
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 4:03pm On May 30, 2023
Princedapace:
■ Becus women arent playing such! How many of the ladies u know agress to marry a man who stays at home or does very little stuff financially?
Why not focus all your energy instead on finding yourself a woman who will agree to your terms rather than worrying about the many others who will not agree to your terms? Are you trying to force a woman into marrying you on your own terms or what? undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by bukatyne(f): 4:04pm On May 30, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
some men are just mad

if you go through the write the woman even directly contributed to the house

1. the woman contributed 200k as part of the 400,000 payment
she paid another money after loan people nearly sold the house

2. and married for over 35 year,

yet the man thought he own the house fully and exclusively alone

Was actions 1 & 2 taken by same woman? If yes, the first or second wife?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Yoighaman(m): 4:04pm On May 30, 2023
seunayantokun:

How true is that? Note that the veracity of that statement was not established by the court.
Also, note that they are equal partners. Did they sit down together and agree to sell the property in dispute?

Well, good question, that is exactly the crux of the matter.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Nobody: 4:04pm On May 30, 2023
Way to go. I am 100% in support of this.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Vboot1: 4:05pm On May 30, 2023
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by baralatie(m): 4:07pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Read what the judge in fact said....
It is not that way o as the lower judge put it!
The supreme court has already done justice on the issue of a what is considered contributory for couples to access properties.Tge supreme court has said it must be significant .And I this case the contribution of the year Oman on the actualisation of the property either was significant to an extent .
The judg did not need to introduce the new word .it would create problems.
The judge only needed to ask if the wife did not fight the fha for th said property would he still have that property at hand .
Then it would difficult for the .man
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by integrity16(m): 4:09pm On May 30, 2023
Now Men will begin to avoid statutory marriage going forward.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Princedapace(m): 4:11pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Why not focus all your energy instead on finding yourself a woman who will agree to your terms rather than worrying about the many others who will not agree to your terms? Are you trying to force a woman into marrying you on your own terms or what? undecided
Can u now see the double standard? The so called law was made, but ur gender will never want to marry a man who has no source of income while she has a source of income.
They all want to marry a man who is financially secured. Then contribute by so called impact in his life and claim property?
I can never stop my wife from working or running business. She is free to buy whatever she wishes to buy in her name or joint name if we both jointly buy it. As long as she makes her contributions financially running the home too. No wahala

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 4:11pm On May 30, 2023
baralatie:
■ It is not that way o as the lower judge put it! The supreme court has already done justice on the issue of a what is considered contributory for couples to access properties. Tge supreme court has said it must be significant .And I this case the contribution of the year Oman on the actualisation of the property either was significant to an extent . The judg did not need to introduce the new word .it would create problems. The judge only needed to ask if the wife did not fight the fha for th said property would he still have that property at hand . Then it would difficult for the .man
Care to share a link to where the supreme court in fact imposed that which you claim. undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by bukatyne(f): 4:11pm On May 30, 2023
EDOLUWA:
No need to mention the first wife, the court just established the fact that the sale of the house is cancelled due to the fact that there is no clear consent from the wife that brought him to the court.

In other words he must seek the clear written consent of his wives in the future for such transaction. So the old wife now has mouth to demand her own right too.

So the man should return the N20m paid for the house?

Does this mean that if they all consent to the sale in future, they all get equal share from the sale as co-owners?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by bukatyne(f): 4:12pm On May 30, 2023
EDOLUWA:
No need to mention the first wife, the court just established the fact that the sale of the house is cancelled due to the fact that there is no clear consent from the wife that brought him to the court.

In other words he must seek the clear written consent of his wives in the future for such transaction. So the old wife now has mouth to demand her own right too.

So the man should return the N20m paid for the house and retrieve the documents (real/fake) from the buyers?

Does this mean that if they all consent to the sale in future, they all get equal share from the sale as co-owners?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Ykc2(m): 4:13pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Marriage is and has always been a business partnership and partners in a business are entitled to a share of business profits and property.
anyways maybe you never marry ,I dey wonder how many nigeria women their dad's are billionaires will share their properties they inherited from their dad when they divorced their from their husbands
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 4:13pm On May 30, 2023
Princedapace:
■ Can u now see the double standard? The so called law was made, but ur gender will never want to marry a man who has no source of income while she has a source of income.
They all want to marry a man who is financially secured. Then contribute by so called impact in his life and claim property?
I can never stop my wife from working or running business. She is free to buy whatever she wishes to buy in her name or joint name if we both jointly buy it. As long as she makes her contributions financially running the home too. No wahala
1. There is no double standard. There is just you whining that you are unable to force any woman out there to agree with you. Look, marriage is and has always been an agreement between a man and a woman. So, if what you want is a woman who will marry you as a house husband, then go out there and look for just that kind of woman and stop whining about how it doesn't all fit you. undecided

There are men out there who are househusbands to their wives. So, connect with them and learn from them how to find yourself a woman like that. Simple! undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On May 30, 2023
Ykc2:
■ anyways maybe you never marry ,I dey wonder how many nigeria women their dad's are billionaires will share their properties they inherited from their dad when they divorced their from their husbands
What matters is the Law and not a person's personal misgivings or none. undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by abbey621(m): 4:17pm On May 30, 2023
wirinet:

We don't have to wait for women to accept it, the English common law and the courts have already accepted it. If the man takes hus wife to court and can prove he has made significant contributions to the marriage, the court will rule they share the properties in accordance to their contributions.

90% of Nigerian courts will not rule in favor of the man, the law is very prejudiced against lazy men! Let's get this straight even this case can be successfully appealed, if the man never collected a dime from her. The judgment was not only based on her non financial contribution but the length of the marriage and her financial contributions. Rescuing him by paying 150k is just an example of how irresponsible the man is and the judge used that against him.

In a more straightforward case, the judge would have ruled in favor of the man since it is not a joint investment but this case is not straightforward. They lived in the house for 30 years, trust has been established that it is a family property and not just the husband's, I doubt the judge would rule similarly if they never lived in the house or the wife had other property to live in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by FlipModeSquade(m): 4:19pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
That is how it ought to be in marriage. The man's marriage property equally belongs to the woman, and the woman's marriage property equally belongs to her husband. Simple! undecided
You mean your 10 Kobo contributions?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Ykc2(m): 4:23pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
What matters is the Law and not a person's personal misgivings or none. undecided
it won't work in nigeria ,let use nnewi as an example ,nnewi is like mini urban city so if a man build a house in his father's compound at nnewi and divorce the wife will the wife now come to drag his father's compound with him?can regina Daniel's drag his husband properties with him?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Princedapace(m): 4:24pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. There is no double standard. There is just you whining that you are unable to force any woman out there to agree with you. Look, marriage is and has always been an agreement between a man and a woman. So, if what you want is a woman who will marry you as a house husband, then go out there and look for just that kind of woman and stop whining about how it doesn't all fit you. undecided

There are men out there who are househusbands to their wives. So, connect with them and learn from them how to find yourself a woman like that. Simple! undecided

That is why we are saying, we wont also marry women who wish to come in, to claim what we hustled to build all in the name of she made impact in my life. How? Didnt I also make impact in her life?
There is nothing to whine about.
That law is for the weak. Any ways, thank goodness for many ways to own one's property shaaa grin
We are for equal rights. Women must work and contribute financially to share from the gain grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 4:25pm On May 30, 2023
Ykc2:
■ it won't work in nigeria ,let use nnewi as an example ,nnewi is like mini urban city so if a man build a house in his father's compound at nnewi and divorce the wife will the wife now come to drag his father's compound with him?can regina Daniel's drag his husband properties with him?
If the man like, make him go build the house inside an underground cave, that one na him headache. So long as it is marital property, it should rightly belongs to him and his wife. undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 4:27pm On May 30, 2023
Princedapace:
■ That is why we are saying, we wont also marry women who wish to come in, to claim what we hustled to build all in the name of she made impact in my life. How? Didnt I also make impact in her life? There is nothing to whine about. That law is for the weak. Any ways, thank goodness for many ways to own one's property shaaa grin
We are for equal rights. Women must work and contribute financially to share from the gain grin
The Law is for the weak? No wonder Nigeria continues in the state that it is in even when as the rest of the world continues to move lightyears ahead! Continue then! undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Weathered: 4:32pm On May 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
This is a revolutionary judgement . It no longer matters any more whose name is on the original property titles. The properties of the man is jointly owned by him and his wife even if it's paid for by the man.
Check my signature for free stuffs!
Mr. First-to-comment, please read the whole article before commenting.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Mindlog: 4:32pm On May 30, 2023
advanceDNA:

Why will the woman's contribution to the property be the free pvssy nature gave her.......did she fvck her self with a base ball bat..?? did she swallow air and got pregnant??

You make it look like the woman did the man a favor by birthing kids for him...so he must pay back with property.... grin ....they both gave each other kids cos she the man contribute to the sex and raised children togegher...why will the woman now lay claims over financial property because of sex and children she ddnt do alone in the first place...

All these funny laws will eventually backfire on women cos men wont marry them anymore

It seems you have not yet realized that women are becoming less interested in marriage, yearning more for motherhood without being wives!😂😂😂
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by advanceDNA: 4:36pm On May 30, 2023
Mindlog:

It seems you have not yet realized that women are becoming less interested in marriage, yearning more for motherhood without being wives!😂😂😂

That pays every one... collect sperm and stay your lane and pay ur bills
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Mindlog: 4:47pm On May 30, 2023
advanceDNA:

That pays every one... collect sperm and stay your lane and pay ur bills

Women who are earning better tend to question the "usefulness" of a man. Some of them prefer to have children without a baby daddy or husband in the picture.....their concept of family is mother and child(ren) while still maintaining sexual relationships with men who are no way linked to their child (ren)....so it "pays" the man and the woman.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Exshaker92(m): 4:48pm On May 30, 2023
A sham judgement that cannot stand if challenged uptill supreme Court. What doesn't exist in Nigerian constitution, they are trying to bring through the back door. That female judge is MAD.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Gajagojo: 4:50pm On May 30, 2023
Dafresh:
You mean Reginal Daniel now owns 50% of Ned Nwoko properties
I believe they are married under customary law which is what will apply
This judgment would apply to court marriages

It is noteworthy that they have been married for decades
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Exshaker92(m): 4:51pm On May 30, 2023
integrity16:
Now Men will begin to avoid statutory marriage going forward.
I swear
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Gajagojo: 4:52pm On May 30, 2023
Exshaker92:
A sham judgement that cannot stand if challenged uptill supreme Court. What doesn't exist in Nigerian constitution, they are trying to bring through the back door. That female judge is MAD.
You are ignorant and noisy.
If you get married in court This is what you should expect
If you don't want this do a traditional wedding or sharia wedding
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Bakrabas: 4:54pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Stop telling yourself this lie! Go to many moslems homes to find out how that lie destroyed many families. undecided

You said many but I'm not among, you can't know me more than myself and you don't know my niyyat so talk about your own
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Exshaker92(m): 4:57pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. There is no double standard. There is just you whining that you are unable to force any woman out there to agree with you. Look, marriage is and has always been an agreement between a man and a woman. So, if what you want is a woman who will marry you as a house husband, then go out there and look for just that kind of woman and stop whining about how it doesn't all fit you. undecided Now I know why many shall remain single (either ways)

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by MarketDispatch: 4:57pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Read it again... She doesn't have to have first contributed money to have a share in the marital property. That she is your wife and as such contributes her time and efforts to your success is more than enough to give her the right to part of the profits of the marriage. undecided

You are misinterpreting already. The item is "marital property", and "not your success'.

The court ruled that “indirect contributions of a wife to the "marital property" should not be quantified in monetary terms in order to entitle her to a share of the property”.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? / Lady Claims Her Father Mistakenly Sent Her N10M For Christmas (Video) / Lady Donates Her Kidney To Her Mother As A Christmas Gift To Her (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.