Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,552 members, 7,837,116 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties (28899 Views)

Injustice Against A Widow Over Late Husbands Properties / Why Nigerian Husbands Kill Wives In US –investigation / "I Will Die, If I Give My Wife Money" - Man Tells Lagos Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by bitbillionaire: 4:58pm On May 30, 2023
Very interesting judgement. I pray it gets to the Supreme Court. I would love to hear what Supreme Court's judgment would be on this case.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 4:58pm On May 30, 2023
MarketDispatch:
You are misinterpreting already. The item is "marital property", and "not your success'.

The court ruled that “indirect contributions of a wife to the "marital property" should not be quantified in monetary terms in order to entitle her to a share of the property”.
Well, the one I had originally responded to considered "marital property" as his success even in marriage, an idea widely shared by many Nigerian men. undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Gajagojo: 5:00pm On May 30, 2023
Ykc2:
it won't work in nigeria ,let use nnewi as an example ,nnewi is like mini urban city so if a man build a house in his father's compound at nnewi and divorce the wife will the wife now come to drag his father's compound with him?can regina Daniel's drag his husband properties with him?
did Regina Daniels marry in court?

There are 3 laws of marriage in Nigeria
Native
Sharia
Statutory
Marriage is a contract
You will get a judgment based on what kind of contract you signed

Many go about claiming to be Christians but don't want to pay the price
This is the advantage of Native and Sharia law
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by advanceDNA: 5:04pm On May 30, 2023
Mindlog:

Women who are earning better tend to question the "usefulness" of a man. Some of them prefer to have children without a baby daddy or husband in the picture.....their concept of family is mother and child(ren) while still maintaining sexual relationships with men who are no way linked to their child (ren)....so it "pays" the man and the woman.

Ofcourse...all a woman needs a man for is sex once she has her own money.....but many of them still want their own customized penís at home since they are too stingy to pay for it when they want it...nd they also cant approach men like men do
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by wayodude(m): 5:05pm On May 30, 2023
Dafresh:
You mean Reginal Daniel now owns 50% of Ned Nwoko properties

You misunderstood the ruling. The family home, the home she had contributed to looking after is not the same as other properties.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by NOETHNICITY(m): 5:07pm On May 30, 2023
I strongly disagree with this judgment
I’ll just advice my sons not to marry. Just have children and that’s all
That entitlement gender
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Dafresh: 5:08pm On May 30, 2023
wayodude:

You misunderstood the ruling. The family home, the home she had contributed to looking after is not the same as other properties.
Okay I thought it was otherwise
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 5:13pm On May 30, 2023
wayodude:
■ You misunderstood the ruling. The family home, the home she had contributed to looking after is not the same as other properties.
Wetin this one dey talk! Family home ko. undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Mindlog: 5:15pm On May 30, 2023
advanceDNA:

Ofcourse...all a woman needs a man for is sex once she has her own money.....but many of them still want their own customized penís at home since they are too stingy to pay for it when they want it...nd they also cant approach men like men do

Men put less value on their genitals in comparisin to women, a simple text message of invitation to have sex from a woman would getting many running as fast they can to the woman but same can't be said for women who would lay terms and conditions before showing up and it involves money.... overwhelming majority of men, don't need to be paid as they are willing to freely provide the penis.

So penis is cheap but all sperms are not equal.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by buJu234: 5:18pm On May 30, 2023
It's not a federal court judgement.. its Lagos state only

So if want to marry..

don't jst do court marriage in lagos. Period..
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by olusipimp(m): 5:23pm On May 30, 2023
Zonefree:

grin cheesy
Motor will not jam her abeg cheesy
No more marriage, na baby mama go full street...guys wey never marry go just stop at d hearing of dis judgement.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by sharone21(f): 5:23pm On May 30, 2023
This man, in trying to win this case at all cost even had to mention that he has a 1st wife, 1st wife that he may have long had anything to do with

We need more female judges.... Females occupying positions which were usually occupied by men, because if we are relying on our men to do the right things to alleviate the sufferings of married women or women generally in the land, we will just be wasting time.

Why didn't he get consent from the wife. Some people are already psychologically and emotionally attached to a house and cannot just leave it, not even for a wife of 10 yrs or more.

Knew of one man who sold his house and pushed his wife and son ( in his 20s- later had psychologically issues)out. Thank God, downstairs the woman had a container she built. That was were they started living. This is after toiling with the man( whether or not she contributed to buying the house). Some men don't think b4 acting. This man even tried sef to give them a smaller substitute.

More women need to know their rights from day 1 ie marry legally. Don't allow any man sweet talk u against it. Men who foolishly support Hakimi's style( don't has been proven to be a lie), forget that when omen suffer, their children ( including males) suffer too.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by NamelessOGBENI(m): 5:28pm On May 30, 2023
Sablexxxtoons:
Don't sensationalise the judgement.. the woman contributed severally towards that property hence the judgement

"This inference of trust, the one for the other is readily apparent when each has made a financial contribution to the purchase price or the mortgage installment."
Some no see this part o.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Gajagojo: 5:28pm On May 30, 2023
olusipimp:

No more marriage, na baby mama go full street...guys wey never marry go just stop at d hearing of dis judgement.
Most of the people talking like you have never bought a bag of cement in their lives

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 5:30pm On May 30, 2023
olusipimp:
■ No more marriage, na baby mama go full street...guys wey never marry go just stop at d hearing of dis judgement.
Na for babymamas to begin to dey charge una the true value of using them next undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by FireUpNow(m): 5:38pm On May 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
This is a revolutionary judgement . It no longer matters any more whose name is on the original property titles. The properties of the man is jointly owned by him and his wife even if it's paid for by the man.
Check my signature for free stuffs!
So what about a property owned by the woman and her name is on it? Will th husband be a joint owner too? Why divorce a wife of over 30 years? It's an absurdity
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by blaise26abj(m): 5:46pm On May 30, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
This is a revolutionary judgement . It no longer matters any more whose name is on the original property titles. The properties of the man is jointly owned by him and his wife even if it's paid for by the man.
Check my signature for free stuffs!

That judge is just emotional . Joint ownership when there is an absence of the signature of the claimant ? In nigeria ? I am sure it will be kicked to the curb in higher courts .

First wife consented , 2nd wife dey Cause wahala . Man buy house for 2nd wife , yet e no want make the man retire in peace .
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 5:51pm On May 30, 2023
blaise26abj:
■ That judge is just emotional . Joint ownership when there is an absence of the signature of the claimant ? In nigeria ? I am sure it will be kicked to the curb in higher courts .

First wife consented , 2nd wife dey Cause wahala . Man buy house for 2nd wife , yet e no want make the man retire in peace .
First wife consented? undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by hansomb: 5:57pm On May 30, 2023
This is for those that did court marriage. As for we dat did in the mosque na sharia we go apply.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 5:59pm On May 30, 2023
baralatie, I still wan to see reference to this supreme court decision wey you talk about abeg! undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by shomutuski(m): 6:04pm On May 30, 2023
I agree with this type of judgement which is case specific, the woman and her husband bought the house which makes sense to share the money, plus women who dutifully serve and love their husbands also deserves some type of compensation in the case of their husband death or the husband chooses to divorce them.

Feminine women deserves the world for the energy they give, the thing with laws like this is that some people might set out to exploit it, that includes puncturing condoms, trapping men and also fake loving. All of this will inturn create a ripple effect of feminism, single parent household, divorce will be the first choice instead of trying to settle marital issues amicably.

But Nigeria isnt like the west, some men/women can be very vindictive, some can go as far as killing their partners. Its easier to unalive a person than to pay alimony.

This is going to become a conundrum, Anyone that has the police in its pocket wont pay shit, even banks wont listen
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Saturnalia(m): 6:07pm On May 30, 2023
jahsharon:

The female judge is MAD. This case will get to the Supreme Court. So all a woman need to do in her life is to fucck a man, then she automatically owns half of his life’s hard work.

E no go better for her Mama. Na motor go jam her

Hahahaha! grin Laugh wan tear my belle.

As I was reading the whole drama, I just dey vex, dey nod my head.

By the time I was done reading the whole nonsense story, I said to myself; No woman will ever live with me in my house. If she like, make she born Zidruplets for me, I go rent 3bedroom apartment for her and the children.

And if I wan fvck her, I go go the rented apartment go dey fvck her for there.

E be like say this Amerikan wokeness or is it wokism don dey take style enter Naija.

E no go better for all of them! True True!
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Ykc2(m): 6:07pm On May 30, 2023
Gajagojo:
did Regina Daniels marry in court?

There are 3 laws of marriage in Nigeria
Native
Sharia
Statutory
Marriage is a contract
You will get a judgment based on what kind of contract you signed

Many go about claiming to be Christians but don't want to pay the price
This is the advantage of Native and Sharia law
are you a Muslim?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Senator777: 6:08pm On May 30, 2023
Baby Mamas loading.

I pity Nigeria girls.
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Gajagojo: 6:09pm On May 30, 2023
Ykc2:
are you a Muslim?
not relevant
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Ykc2(m): 6:12pm On May 30, 2023
Kobojunkie:
If the man like, make him go build the house inside an underground cave, that one na him headache. So long as it is marital property, it should rightly belongs to him and his wife. undecided
well your dreaming like a poor a man who have even one cock but dreaming about aboki's malu ,in nigeria where wife don't know how the husband is making money?in history nigeria never one day they caught hired assassin ok try and see ,we go even use your kpekus for money
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Ykc2(m): 6:13pm On May 30, 2023
Gajagojo:
not relevant
is it allowed to marry 13 years old girl in North like governor of zamfara did?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Gajagojo: 6:14pm On May 30, 2023
Ykc2:
is it allowed to marry 13 years old girl in North like governor of zamfara did?
Was abortion allowed when you were born?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Ykc2(m): 6:16pm On May 30, 2023
Gajagojo:
Was abortion allowed when you were born?
any body can terminate pregnancy in secret ,is true that Mohammed was nacking aisha at age of 9?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Kobojunkie: 6:17pm On May 30, 2023
Ykc2:
well your dreaming like a poor a man who have even one cock but dreaming about aboki's malu ,in nigeria where wife don't know how the husband is making money?in history nigeria never one day they caught hired assassin ok try and see ,we go even use your kpekus for money
Sigh!!! undecided
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by Gajagojo: 6:19pm On May 30, 2023
Ykc2:
any body can terminate pregnancy in secret ,is true that Mohammed was nacking aisha at age of 9?
Is possible that he did
I do not really care

but when you were born was abortion allowed in the area you were born?
Was that option available?
Re: Lagos Court Grants Wives Equal Rights Over Husbands’ Properties by NOETHNICITY(m): 6:19pm On May 30, 2023
Princedapace:

Can u now see the double standard? The so called law was made, but ur gender will never want to marry a man who has no source of income while she has a source of income.
They all want to marry a man who is financially secured. Then contribute by so called impact in his life and claim property?
I can never stop my wife from working or running business. She is free to buy whatever she wishes to buy in her name or joint name if we both jointly buy it. As long as she makes her contributions financially running the home too. No wahala
You made a lot of sense here. That useless law can’t work in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Will A Cheat Always Be A Cheat? / Lady Claims Her Father Mistakenly Sent Her N10M For Christmas (Video) / Lady Donates Her Kidney To Her Mother As A Christmas Gift To Her (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.