Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) - Satellite TV Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (347127 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (85) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Tinkinguy(m): 3:15pm On Aug 22, 2007
Hi All,

Thanks for all your contributions to this tread,
I need your help regarding my Decoder, I use Technosat 5500 SS decoder and its been hell trying to watch etv channel. Any clue as what I can do to be able to open up the channel and also more frquencies I can point to, I reside in Abuja. Thanks
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by lekinxyn(m): 4:01pm On Aug 22, 2007
You guys are really good and i pray God strengthen u in your discovery.
I just got a Starsat SX4000 decoder,Samsat LNBF ku band 0.3db,and 90cm dish.and am really confused on the possible satelite i can lock onto.
from what i read in this forum have not heard any one talk about samsat lnb
pls kindly help with the satelite i can lock unto and the channels it will probly get.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 7:46pm On Aug 22, 2007
Tinking guy

Have you ever been able to watch eTV at all in the past on your receiver? Secondly, what satellite is your dish currently pointing to? What size of dish is it and is it motorised/using a jack?

The answers to these questions will help to know how to advise you.

lekinxyn

The crucial thing at the moment is that you have a 90cm dish; the next crucial thing is to know where you are: are you in Nigeria -- North or South?

If in Nigeria, a 90cm dish can be made to point to only a few satellites e.g. Eutelsat W4 at 36E --- but that is useless unless you want to subscribe to DSTV; it can also point to Intelsat 7-10 at 68.5E; on that you should get some free channels, mostly religious channels; for the general entertainment channels you will need to subscribe to MyTV; however, you might be able to get eTV if your receiver has the right software and code.

I think a 90cm dish can also be made to point to NSS7 at 22W --- I don't know that Sat very well -- but I think the most interesting things on it will probably require you to subscribe to Canal Sat.

In sub-Saharan Africa, we are not as "lucky" with free satellite TV as people in other parts of the World. In the UK, with a 90cm dish, I can get several thousand free TV stations; in Egypt and North Africa you can do the same with maybe a 1.8m dish; a 1.8m dish might be useful in Nigeria but to really begin to fully get the benefits, you are talking of a dish from 2.4m upwards!
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Tinkinguy(m): 10:02am On Aug 23, 2007
Hi Enigma,

Thanks for your concern to help. I had actually watched ETV long before when I just bought the decoder and its materials in Lagos, after which I relocate to Abuja. My dish is of 90cm or so I think since its a little bit bigger than the DSTV size, You know this size with MYTV written on it, and the satellite its pointing to is Astra and Hotbird. I can get up to 30 channels, with most of them been religious channels and other with $ (dollar sign) which opens if I get a MYTV access card, though ETV doesnt open with them.

However, I got some BISS codes (1234569CABCDEF67 ;FOX TV Serbia 13°E) from the net which I entered into the decoder (the name is Technosat 5500 ss) thourght its VIAccess option and the ETV channel just opened and I was able to view it, but the sound (voice) system for the ETV alone is not been heard, just the pictures.

What can be the problem.

Thanks
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 6:05pm On Aug 23, 2007
Ok Tinkin_guy

I am sure that your dish is not pointing at Astra or Hotbird - it may think it is because of similar frequencies with the satellite that your dish is pointing to --- unless your dish is motorised.

I am confident that your dish is pointing at Intel 7/10 at 68.5 which is where you get eTV and the MyTv channels. To get back eTV, what you have to do is make sure your receiver has the right code. As you have got it in the past, that confirms that your receiver is "patched" (which is important) and that it once had the right code. It may be that when eTV's code changed your receiver was not updated. To solve it, you will have to learn how to enter codes (also called keys) into your receiver --- using your remote control.

You can get the keys at the link following link _http://www.rdi-files.com/nagra.php. Copy the link into your browser (removing the starting underscore _); at the link, scroll down looking for SABC ID 2101. When you get there copy down the figures; later, when you have worked out how your receiver operates, you will have to enter the right figures into your receiver.

Before you enter it, first of all go through all the menu list of your receiver and come back with your results; after that we can try together to work out how to enter the codes into your receiver.

For you, lekinxyn and all others interested in what satellites can be received in Africa, there is plenty to read at the link below:

http://www.rdi-board.com/showthread.php?t=36090
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Tinkinguy(m): 11:14am On Aug 24, 2007
Hi Enigma,

Thanks for the directives given to me about the key, am going to try it out. For the Satellite my dish is pointing to, I may not be so sure it is Astra/Hotbird, however the inital installer that did it for me and from where I bought the Decoder told me so, with frequeny/Symbol rate (12722)V-26657, I also use 12520H-27500.

For entering the keys, I have done that before, like I told you in my last post, I got some keys which I enetered through Viaccess coloum ( the doecoder had serval key coloums: Negra, SECA, VIAaccess, conax and cryptowork) and which Help me to now view ETV, however the channels sound (Voice) is not working, but I can watch all the various programs shown on the ETV channels.

Moreso,is there other frequencies within the direction my dish is pointing to which I could get more channels?
Thanks once more
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 2:00pm On Aug 24, 2007
Tinkin-guy

I am now very sure that your dish is pointing at Intelsat 7/10 at 68.5E. Look into the following link and scroll down to 12722 where you will see the MyTV channels and other stations on that satellite (though not all of them can be received in Nigeria).

http://www.lyngsat.com/intel68.html

ETV uses Nagra and the codes will have to be entered in the Nagra section of your receiver. As I said before, try entering the SABC codes ---- other things being equally they should open both picture and sound for eTV.

Good luck.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by edniroya01(m): 7:42pm On Aug 27, 2007
Hello Nairalanders,
l must appreciate what u guys are doing,you are really sharing ideas and teaching us.
l want to ask if l can view sky channels in nigeria (Lagos)  and if l can how and the way to go about it.
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Tinkinguy(m): 12:41pm On Aug 28, 2007
Hi Enigma,

I really want to say a BIG thanks to you for helping me out. Now, I can watch ETV, with both pictures and sound working perfectly.

Thanks once more and to all who shared their ideas and comments.

You guys are doing good work.

Thanks
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 1:02pm On Aug 28, 2007
Tinkin-guy

Fantastic news; well done! Enjoy.

Edniroya01

You are better off to forget Sky in Nigeria; while it is theoretically possible (with about 200 free channels), you will need a massive massive dish!
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by mrdan(m): 11:29am On Sep 03, 2007
Hi All,
There was a time disc engineering ltd(here in lagos) was transmitting sky movies through thier cable, how do you think they were receiving sky here, does anyone have an idea, @twinstaiye and enigma any info?
Thanks.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by jujukemist(m): 2:45pm On Sep 03, 2007
Hello fellow nijas,
I am wondering what happened to big joe.
Just as it was said, the company you talked about must have used an earth station kind of dish over 4mters wide and then relay it

I advise that getin a strong reciever with a 1.8m dish is the best bargain in the market for now, you can mount up to 4 lnb 1 will giv you nolywood ans siverbird tvs 2 will give u cnn(c band) 3 will giv youbbc, music chanel, 4 movie channels 1 documentary chanel etc just so much. iam currently serching to get iredeto cards which can be used to watch live football matches on aljazeera sports1&2 and fox sports.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by TBag3: 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2007
Hi, Can one change is DSTV to FTA.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 3:39pm On Sep 07, 2007
hello tinking guy am using strong receiver i can open etv with 6969 but plz can u teach me how to input those code on any receiver using remote control.thanks man.if u need freq on ku 90cm i can help
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Tinkinguy(m): 4:54pm On Sep 07, 2007
Hi pitodenz,

Sure why not, though I can only say for sure concerning my type of decoder, not used strong decoder before.

At the screen of Satellite/Frequency/TP inputs, press the red button on your decoder, this will take you to the screen highlighten the current keys, sebc, nagra, viaccess etc, , then chose the columu you desire to change the key figures and change it, , well thats all.

Like I said before, I only use technosat decoder, have not operate strong decoder, though I want to believe the steps could be the same.

Try this and let me know whats the outcome.

Cheers
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 6:36pm On Sep 07, 2007
Pitodenz

Since you can already open it with 6969, it means the actual code has been entered into the receiver by your installer/seller; so don't tamper with it until it stops working. For the Strong receiver 6969 is used to activate the code whereas some other receivers do not need the code to be activated again once it has been entered.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by toyex2u(m): 2:26am On Sep 08, 2007
hi every one,am new in dis column.hve been searching 4 a long time 4 site like dis,thanks i finally got one.am totally confused as u guys are all talking about etv,dat is u hve it on ur decorder.will some plz help me out.
i dont know how locate the perfect direction 4 each sitellite.am using media com decorder wit the biggest type of dish also with a transporter.after the first installation which was done by a crook,we had sky sports news nd other sky channels.but after some months it went into disapperance.
can some plz giv mi a list of frequicies nd codes including the satellite.am really desperate.all i got to watch everyday is cnn nd other arabic channels.i really pleading,
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by toyex2u(m): 2:32am On Sep 08, 2007
i forget to say, the decorder could show both c nd ku band.can some 1 tell me the difference btw both of them.but i get the cnn nd arabic channels on the c band.can i also get other channels on ku band.
toyex2u@yahoo.com is my mail,incase some 1 wants to bail me out 4rm ignorance.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by yaris(m): 2:35pm On Sep 08, 2007
hi everyone.
i need help please.
i have a strong srt 4652 and i upgraded the software version since then the 6969 shit does not work again, even 8080, 8280 non of them walks, that means i no longer watch etv. i seriously need help. thank you.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 8:39pm On Sep 08, 2007
toyex2u

Could you confirm what satellite your dish is currently pointed at? I suspect it might be Nilesat --- if you are indeed on Nilesat, have a look at the link below and see if you can figure out how to use the information to see if your receiver will pick up some more channels.

ETA http://www.lyngsat.com/nile.html

Yaris

Where did you get the software that you updated to? Was it official Strong software or was it unofficial (i.e. non-Strong) software. Whichever the case, you can try entering the code for eTV into your receiver. If the current software allows you to enter keys, then use the information and weblinks mentioned in all the posts between me and Tinkin_guy above.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by PAPPY007: 12:55pm On Sep 11, 2007
Hi fellas, am a new member and i have read quite a lot of the posted messages. I must say am quite impressed and am glad to be a member of the forum.
Pls can any one help me with where i can get list of free to air movie stations. I am in Nigeria,Lagos and am using a strong decoder.
Thanks and once again is a pleasure been part of ya all.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by yaris(m): 4:09pm On Sep 12, 2007
Enigma

thanks for your advice. the software is official. i get it from strong site. i was able to solve the problem. as me how. i bought this rs-232c serial cord and connected my decoder to another one, then i was able to transfer the firmware of that decoder to mine. everything works now, 6969, 8282, 8280, 8080. thank you.

PAPPY007

hi, i know you can watch free movies on nilesat that has mbc2, then you can also watch free movies on intelsat 902 which has sabc and etv, those are the ones i can remember for now. you also need a big dish to be able to get this channels from nigeria. have fun.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by 9ja4eva: 6:36pm On Sep 12, 2007
Any site where one can watch 9ja channels live online?

Aside jump tv
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 4:17pm On Sep 14, 2007
as to what someone said earlier,
most of us here are still tenants and it wont be wise for one to erect a dish as wide as the passage way of the house you are living in so that one's landlord/landlady wont think you are planning a coup.
But can someone kindly tell me what satellite can i turn to and how many sports channels i'm gonna get including that showing premiership with a 80 cm dish also known as ku-band.

I also heard that a 120cm dish can also get stations like that of the 240cm dish but the reception will be affected during rainy season, i dont know how true this is, can someone out there tell me if it really is

1 Like

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by kevin96(m): 11:52pm On Sep 15, 2007
i i really want to thank you guys. especially  guys like Enigma,Tinkin_guy,twinstaiye,iretunde,bigjoe and host of others.you guys are really doing a great job.

please i really want you guys to help me out on this.
which type of decorder do i need to buy,and what size of dish.and if there is any other thing that is needed ,please kindly state clearly.
presently i reside in benin city in edo state.
i really want to get connected on this.or is there someone who can get this stuff done for me or give a facial directives,i really don't mind the cost.

i will appreciate you great advise.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 9:21am On Sep 17, 2007
tinking guy thanks man,am yet to try will tell u outcome as soon as i do.but i dont know whether u or anyone has any idea of how to reset strong decoder when the password has been forgotten.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Tinkinguy(m): 2:05pm On Sep 17, 2007
Hi kevin96,

I tink the most known decoder in Nigeria is strong decoder, though am using Technosat. Strong decoder is b/w 10K to 12K, you can also get a 90cm dish for KU band or better still a 120cm/more though, it depends on space size of your compound, and other things., then you can get the LNB depending on your dish size.

A dish of more than 90cm is kool if you have the space shaa. you can get more info if you track the sellers within your area.

Hi pitodenz,

Also try entering the keys through the parental code menu. once you get to this area, press the red button on your remote and it will take you to the various key coloum.
and like I sad b4, it also depends on the type of decoder you have.
Maybe the gury (Enigma) will help beter.

tek kia.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Tinkinguy(m): 2:11pm On Sep 17, 2007
pitodenz,

I dont have idea of how to reset strong decoder on lost of password, however I guess, you may try restoring the decoder to factory defualt, maybe this could help.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by kevin96(m): 5:52pm On Sep 17, 2007
Tinkin_guy:

Hi kevin96,

I think the most known decoder in Nigeria is strong decoder, though am using Technosat. Strong decoder is b/w 10K to 12K, you can also get a 90cm dish for KU band or better still a 120cm/more though, it depends on space size of your compound, and other things., then you can get the LNB depending on your dish size.

A dish of more than 90cm is kool if you have the space shaa. you can get more info if you track the sellers within your area.

Thinker

Hi pitodenz,

Also try entering the keys through the parental code menu. once you get to this area, press the red button on your remote and it will take you to the various key coloum.
and like I sad before, it also depends on the type of decoder you have.
Maybe the gury (Enigma) will help beter.

tek kia.

Broda Tinkin_guy,
I really appreciate all you said.thank you very much.
but i still want your advise.
i will like to know the difference between strong and Technosat decorder.
and if it is possible kindly let me know the likely stations/channel i will be receiving with this decorders.
meanwhile i intend using the 120cm dish.also tell me how the installation will go.

or better still i will like to talk to you on phone.
this is my number 08057012328.you can just text your number to my phone for privacy
pls help me broda.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 8:47pm On Sep 18, 2007
I will try to deal with some of the queries --- but I'll break them into different posts so as not to confuse myself and others. grin

Pitodenz

I'm not sure you need to enter any more codes since 6969 is working for you and you can get eTV. I don't think that there is any other station/package that is open on 68.5e (Intelsat 7/10) or are you able to get some other satellites; are you using a Jack?

However, if you want to know how to access where the menus are --- when watching TV try either 8282 or 8280 and one of them should take you to the code menu.

Edited: to reset Passwords, you will have to find the Master code for your receiver; you can try googling for the master code for your type of receiver; if it is a Strong receiver, the likely master codes are 1361; 0735; 0235; 0325 -- you will also have to play around in the menu to figure out how to enter the master code.

Yaris

Edited (didn't notice at first that you were sorted): well done Yaris, glad you're sorted.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 9:26pm On Sep 18, 2007
Pappy

Most sites that give info about satellites give info about particular stations or packages and maybe by the general type station e.g. entertainment, sports. You could try e.g. www.lyngsat.com or www.flysat.com.

More crucially, it also depends on what satellite(s) you can receive --- do you currently have a set-up?

Kevin

In Naija, a 90cm dish will get you Intelsat 7/10 at 68.5e ---- but unless you subscribe to MyTV, the most useful station you will get there will be eTV along with some religious channels. I think a 90cm dish might also be able to get you NSS7 and a few channels. I believe that in the south a 2.4m dish is required to get Nilesat where you have more options with channels ---- it seems that people in the North can get away with a smaller dish. (This also addreses Enitan's point --- a 120 dish will struggle in most of Nigeria for Nilesat to be honest; if only the Sat providers will let their Sats' footprints extend properly to Africa angry )

As for decoders, better called receivers really, Strong brand is probably the most advisable brand to buy of those being sold in Naija. The reason is that its importers into Naija take into account the encryption systems being used by DSTV and MyTV so that it can be used with their cards. However, there are much better receivers elsewhere and any receiver will receive satellite signals within range.

As for stations you will receive; you will need to discuss with your installer; ask him whether it is possible for him to set up 2 LNBs; ask him also whether it is possible for him to set up 1 Ku band LNB + 1 C band LNB. These may not be possible, but if they are that will increase the numer of channels you are likely to get.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by kevin96(m): 10:17pm On Sep 18, 2007
@enigma,
thank you for your contribution.i really appreciate it.

pls do you have an ideal how much that 2.4m dish might cost?

once again i say thanks .and thanks to you all that have contributed to this trend.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (85)

Q-SAT: QUEEN OF SATELLITES? / All About Multi Tv Free To Air On Astra 2b / All about IKS Decoders(Qsat, Speed HD, Azsky)POWERVU BIS & IPTV boxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.