Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,785 members, 7,831,541 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) - Satellite TV Technology (74) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (347961 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (85) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by olofofo(m): 11:33am On Sep 30, 2008
dark_side:

@olofofo I stay in minna can you please post a link to my mail where i can download the patch davidon2005@yahoo.com

i do not have direct link o, i was talking about copying the firmware from mine to yours. tshis one wey u dey minna so, give me small time i take collect send to you box
biggjoe:

@olofofo
your response to that UK visa issue is the funniest post I have seen  on this Forum recently. Its ok too that you offered some help in the end.

I agree with F-marshal  concerning the loss of signal issue that might be coming from the dish. Its most likely to be the edges of the dish.

I remember quite well how badly a little 'touching' I did with my 90cm dish in my early days on FTA affected the signal. It took me days then to realize that a little unnoticeable  bend on any part of the dish can result in a complete loss of signal.
The 'thread test' might help as well if you can get the threads to be on the right points on the circumference of the dish correctly.

Oga Big Joe. thanks ojare. i will try and get everything sorted out tomorrow with the 2.4. i will definitely keep you updated. thanks again, it's because of you that we are all enjoying this thread.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by ojofree: 11:41am On Sep 30, 2008
@olofofo
thanks a million i got the number, please let me know when you get the cable, but i know that enitan has the cable, i will talk to him and see if he will be able to help me.

@enitan
i want to know what you think?, will you be able to assist with the cable?, we could go together when you can make out the time
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by darkside1: 11:45am On Sep 30, 2008
@olofofo ok no problem. Does the your patch open showtime with keys being input manually?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by olofofo(m): 11:51am On Sep 30, 2008
dark_side:

@olofofo ok no problem. Does the your patch open showtime with keys being input manually?

i am just about to join the Nilesat league ooo
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Gangsta101(m): 1:35pm On Sep 30, 2008
F_Marshall/Big Joe,

I cant get my head around that string test thing, can't seem to get the image right in my head, if u could post some pix or some more details, it just might be helpful. thanks.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 3:33pm On Sep 30, 2008
@ arsenal1
i believe that sabc will work in ph now though i am yet to try it cos my 1.8m dish is sleeping now but i ll wake it before the week runs out.My observation on numerous installation i ve done on this previous weeks shows that the signal level for so many t.p is high this period;imagine getting abc news with a motorized 2.4m dish now in ph.ABC NEWS most of us has forgotten due to poor signal.SABC is now up to 77% with old strong and 87% with x-series wow!!.

I still shade tears on some t.p we re unable to get here,imagine someone in lagos getting 2m morrocco @w6 with 1.8m dish and we here cannot get it even with 2.4m dish not only that,aljazeera @ arabsat can be received in western nigeria with a motorized 1.8m but a motorized 2.4m here happen to manage signal strength of 40-44% here,if u happen to increase it all other t.p ll be lost.(though it can come up to 77 something % but only when fixed)
Sometimes i feel maybe i dont know my work or i cant do it well,but wow!as u can see most guys here re from west,making me thinking that am the only one from the south south.if at a time i3312a09afound out that noone is willing to come out from this side of naija,i think i ll start following the forum
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by africode: 3:50pm On Sep 30, 2008
pitodenz,

My current research on lyngsat suggest that Nilesat101&102@7.0 west operates in ku band only. I also noticed that the beam is far from Nigeria. I will like to know the Nilesat u are locked to. Thanks.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 4:57pm On Sep 30, 2008
@Gangsta101
Thats why I have reservations about the thread test thing.  Even though F Marshal suggested it and by theory I believe its ok, but I havent done it myself nor seen anyone do it before.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 5:11pm On Sep 30, 2008
olofofo:
@F_Marshall

thx for your observation, but the water was from rain 2 days ago. it's there because of the NSS7 KU andgle it's at right now.I always drain it anytime it rains. i believe that if i finally get the nilesat to work, the water will find it's own way down.

regarding the dents on the dish, my brother, that dish don suffer. first it was motorized and then de-motoriaed and i had to bring it down tomake space for the 1.8m, infact i fell down working on that dish. i will try your test with badaru on wednesday.

what you see on the cable is remnant of the tape from strapping it to the prongs. the cable is in no way broken.

rust is actually a major issue with the second dish, the dealer nack me well well, because when I bought it, I did not know much. does the cash wax solution apply to my 1.8? or what do you suggest i use to reduce rust? i might have to get anoter dish is less than 6 month if the rust continues as it is.

overall, i appreciate your eye for details regarding the pix of my dishes. You are one eagle eye.

The 1.8m could benefit from Car Wax solution. Remember, you have to apply the wax on the surface of the dish. Polish the car wax on the dish, and also apply same to the eye of the LNB. When it rains, the water will run off the dish's surface more quickly thereby improving signal during mild rain storms.

Short of buying a new dish, you can treat the dish with an anti rust paint that is not very glossy. Read more from this thread. Also, see below the attachement on correcting Warped Discs.

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 5:13pm On Sep 30, 2008
@ all critics,
the team comprising of badaru1(leader), OLA (commander), my humble self enitan tracked the bird within 10minutes, i meant nilesat, it was about 3 TPs out of all the TPs in the strong decoder that were not green, they were CNN, showsports and some stations, the MBCs were about 65% as at 1:30pm on eurostar decoder while it was 58% on strong decoder.
I will shed more light on that later on, badaru even said with what he's seen on 2.4m dish, he said it will be possible for some TPs to be gotten on 1.8m dish.
Some critics would have been saying has it been tried and proven?, NO, it has not. But there are some people whenever they give out a theory just be rest assured thats the fact, you dont need to see any prove. This is even the first time badaru will be trying nilesat on 2.4m dish in Lagos and lo and behold the signal strength is even more than those that are using 3.0m dish and upward.
He said, if more people in lagos now focus on using 2.4m in ngetting nilesat in lagos, the signal would be drawn more towards Lagos. He said as at 2 years agao in the North, it was difficult to get nilesat with 1.8m dish, but it was now due to the number of satellites in that region facing nilesat bird made that possible. So if we in lagos can start doing that, then we will surely smile.

@ olofofo,
just make sure u make badaru track nilesat for you tomorrow on your 1.8m, after he must have gotten it on your 2.4m dish, ok? just get across to me after u've read this

@ all,
i was also having a discussion with badaru concerning decoders at ALABA market, he said that place is not to be reckon with in terms of decoders, even southern nigeria in particular. But just go up there in the North and you will surely be faced with so many varieties. He said he was looking for humax decoder remote at ALABA he couldnt even get the decoder let alone the remote, so he got one from a contact in North within some few hours.
So my brothers, those that said because a DVB-C decoder cannot be gotten at ALABA remove the existence os such should better pitch their tents of searching in the North.

ALL CRITICS WILL(NO HAVE BEEN) PUT TO SHAME CONCERNING THAT.

So to those that already have PAS7/10KU, W3A, NSS7, and dont have space for 2.4m but have for 1.8m you can hook up to that for niesat cos the MBCs will surely be gotten on 1.8m dish.

So for those who will like to contact badaru1 for nilesat installation, you can get across to him through his P.A (OLA) on 08029317522 or 08033231671, after he must have done for olofofo tomorrow. so any other one after OLA must give consent(joking) before badaru can go for that.

Well if he seems busy at the moment, you can get across to me for nilesat installation on only 2.4m dish PAN, and it must have been coupled before me getting there. Cos badaru really took his time in putting me through the installation process, and i know am up to the task.
TO ALL LAGOSIANS, NILESAT HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by olofofo(m): 5:29pm On Sep 30, 2008
F_Marshal:

The 1.8m could benefit from Car Wax solution. Remember, you have to apply the wax on the surface of the dish. Polish the car wax on the dish, and also apply same to the eye of the LNB. When it rains, the water will run off the dish's surface more quickly thereby improving signal during mild rain storms.

Short of buying a new dish, you can treat the dish with an anti rust paint that is not very glossy. Read more from this thread. Also, see below the attachement on correcting Warped Discs.

thanks for the feedback and link, it was quite helpfull.

@enitan2002

congrats on the new installation. abeg tell badaru make him no forget me ooooo. i go holla later today. i am really looking forward to watching nilesat soon. enitan abeg post your number for me.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 5:30pm On Sep 30, 2008
@ Enitan2002/Badaru and Ola,

We de hail una. You guys are taking this FTA thing to another level.

Keep your nilesat explorations going until you come down to the East here.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by ceejay80s(m): 5:37pm On Sep 30, 2008
@all abeg una grammar too much make una come down to my level.I just buy strong decoder and dish and i dey get free channels all na church na only etv i dey manage with 6969 code. How i go fit unlock betta channels to watch b4 i go start to dey do miracle with all this church channels wey i dey watch,abeg i need una assistance
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by olofofo(m): 6:14pm On Sep 30, 2008
ceejay80s:

@all abeg una grammar too much make una come down to my level.I just buy strong decoder and dish and i dey get free channels all na church na only etv i dey manage with 6969 code. How i go fit unlock betta channels to watch before i go start to dey do miracle with all this church channels wey i dey watch,abeg i need una assistance

all this etv dish people don come again oooo
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Gangsta101(m): 6:27pm On Sep 30, 2008
Ceejay

what size of dish are u using, if na 90cm or less, then etv na the only channel when u fit receive for now, if ur dish dey up to 1.8m then add a c band lnb and you will get more channel. where are u located in the first place?

Olofofo,

if i were u, if Badaru comes over to install your nilesat for you, i would watch him like a jealous wife, everything he does and ask enough questions to make myself a nuisance, who knows u just might acquire the touch from him and become the regular nilesat installer in that area when he tires out, cos i am certain everyone is soon going to be hounding him.

About the signal quality improving just because more people are installing dishes to receive it, i don't know about, the explanation i would suggest is that the installers just get better and it the more they install so that after a while, they can almost do it with their eyes closed, i mean they would know all the tricks to coax (and that is actually what it seems like) the best signal out of dish. but then again, that is just my opinion.

F_Marshal.

still waiting on the info on the thread test if it is no bother.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 7:40pm On Sep 30, 2008
Gangsta101:

F_Marshall/Big Joe,

I can't get my head around that string test thing, can't seem to get the image right in my head, if u could post some pix or some more details, it just might be helpful. thanks.

Tape a string from the 12 o'clock position to the 6 o' clock position. Again, Tape another string from the 9 o' clock to the 3 o' clock position. If the string touches together at the center, the dish is not warped. On the other hand, if there is a gap at where the two strings meet, the dish is warped. cool

biggjoe:

@Gangsta101
Thats why I have reservations about the thread test thing.  Even though F Marshal suggested it and by theory I believe its ok, but I havent done it myself nor seen anyone do it before. 

Gansta101 mai brother!!! that na pratical o! grin cheesy Seriously, the method is practical and it works. wink
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by olofofo(m): 7:54pm On Sep 30, 2008
Gangsta101:

Ceejay

what size of dish are u using, if na 90cm or less, then etv na the only channel when u fit receive for now, if ur dish dey up to 1.8m then add a c band lnb and you will get more channel. where are u located in the first place?

Olofofo,

if i were u, if Badaru comes over to install your nilesat for you, i would watch him like a jealous wife, everything he does and ask enough questions to make myself a nuisance, who knows u just might acquire the touch from him and become the regular nilesat installer in that area when he tires out, because i am certain everyone is soon going to be hounding him.

About the signal quality improving just because more people are installing dishes to receive it, i don't know about, the explanation i would suggest is that the installers just get better and it the more they install so that after a while, they can almost do it with their eyes closed, i mean they would know all the tricks to coax (and that is actually what it seems like) the best signal out of dish. but then again, that is just my opinion.

F_Marshal.

bros i say na the only thing wey i wan do tomorrow be that o. as early 7am i don dey on the road to go carry am, him be VIP for me. am sure if see him do it. it will not be a problem to pass the knowledge on. all props goes to badaru, he's such a nice person on the phone and i have been told he's nicer in person.

@enitan2002

i go like meet you too ooo, so try reach him place early so that we go all jam there.

as usual, i go inform the house with enough photo and posts.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 8:11pm On Sep 30, 2008
enitan2002:

He said, if more people in lagos now focus on using 2.4m in ngetting nilesat in lagos, the signal would be drawn more towards Lagos. He said as at 2 years agao in the North, it was difficult to get nilesat with 1.8m dish, but it was now due to the number of satellites in that region facing nilesat bird made that possible. So if we in lagos can start doing that, then we will surely smile.

I know you mean well, but that assertion above practically doesn't apply. Remember, there is only a one way communication between the Satellite and our Antenna (dish), therefore there is no exchange of information, and without information exchange between the two bodies there is absolute no way the Bird would increase it's foot print simply, because there are more dishes installed in a particular geographical area. smiley

Gangsta101:

F_Marshal.

See my reply above. wink
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by ceejay80s(m): 9:24pm On Sep 30, 2008
@gansta101 na 90cm dish i dey use.Infact na my dish big pass for surulere local govt. If i buy dish wey big pass dat one,my house fit collapse. Na only etv? Wetin come be the FTA wey dey there?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Gangsta101(m): 10:21pm On Sep 30, 2008
F_Marshal,

Talk about simplicity, i first did d test on a friends dish, i used a really thin wire by the way, and the distance between the strings was less than 2-3mm (maybe the strings were not taut enough?), so i went back home and repeated it on mine, the distance between the strings was about 1.5 - 2cm. i actually expected that cos there are 6 metals used to attach d base of the pan to the circular support frame of my dish and one of them is missing, (don't ask me how), i'll try and get another one as soon as possible and repeat the test, i actually have to reposition the dish anyway. thanks

Ceejay,

Welcome to the world of FTA, one basic fact of life is that apart from some channels on nilesat (mbc1-4, action, CNN, BBC, Aljazeera news, sports 1,2, and a few others), most premium channels are actually on paytv network, most other satellites in this area that have FTA channels have only a few channels and they show quality programs intermittently. that's why the focus on this thread in the last few months has been on
1. Getting a big enough dish to track nilesat (depending on ur location)
2. Motorizing our dishes so they can move from one satellite to another with as little fuss as possible, so u can get all those good channels with only one dish. Nobody promised anybody the same thing u get on DSTV.
The fun is in how many and how u receive them, and discovering something new, so the question i suggest you ask yourself is 'Are u up for it?' if not go and pay for your mytv subscription.
Sleep well.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 11:53pm On Sep 30, 2008
F_Marshal:

Tape a string from the 12 o'clock position to the 6 o' clock position. Again, Tape another string from the 9 o' clock to the 3 o' clock position. If the string touches together at the center, the dish is not warped. On the other hand, if there is a gap at where the two strings meet, the dish is warped. cool

Gansta101 mai brother!!! that na pratical o! grin cheesy Seriously, the method is practical and it works. wink

I know it will work but the reservations I'm referring to is: how do you accurately pin point 12 o' clock and 6 o'clock and all the other positions on the dish? Its easy to inspect with bare eyes and point at a particular point. But without equipments (which I doubt if theres any), your chosen 12 o'clock position might end up being 2 minutes past 12 o'clock and if we have to be accurate here, as I believe we must have to, a single minute off the correct point has rendered the whole test useless.
Back in school we did something like that on engineering drawing but the thing is that you are working on a flat surface with protractor and others which can easily divide a circle into any number of segments you wish to.

@Gangsta101
I'm not discouraging you from doing the test but rather I'm actually asking you to be careful in tracing your points.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 2:51am On Oct 01, 2008
@ olofofo,
i will all be yours in some hours time.
NILESAT HERE WE COME AT OLOFOFO'S ABODE , we will also try using the 1.8m dish oooo, ok?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 6:21am On Oct 01, 2008
@ olofofo,
just had my bath and and having my breakfast will soon set out to badaru's place anytime from now,
Looking forward to meeting you.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 11:41am On Oct 01, 2008
@ all- i got sabc with 1.8m dish in ph.i ll also try nilesat with 2.4m dish here in ph before the week runs out.it seems that wheather is very clear this time around.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by chuk101(m): 3:11pm On Oct 01, 2008
Hello nairaland users, i am in owerri and i have really learnt a lot about ku and c band and could easily tell their differences from this forum, although i do not have a dish as big as 1.8, i hope to get one and make my own contributions as well. For those in owerri , imo state, ctl digital is free and u can watch the following aljazeera sprts +1& +3, mbc 1,2,3, mtv base cnn ,,tbn ,ait,etc, i have observed them a little and it seems that they are having a little problem with their scrambling system, however they tend to scramble the channels when there are important matches but as am writing now most of the channels are free except the trend channels, enjoy these while they last
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by chuk101(m): 3:32pm On Oct 01, 2008
hi arsenal 1, Please in which part of owerri are u, could u tell me  some  of the  channels  u wre able to receive with your 1.8 m dish, because i am considering going for either 1.8 or 2.4m
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 4:36pm On Oct 01, 2008
Gangsta101:

F_Marshal,

Talk about simplicity, i first did d test on a friends dish, i used a really thin wire by the way, and the distance between the strings was less than 2-3mm (maybe the strings were not taut enough?), so i went back home and repeated it on mine, the distance between the strings was about 1.5 - 2cm. i actually expected that because there are 6 metals used to attach d base of the pan to the circular support frame of my dish and one of them is missing, (don't ask me how), i'll try and get another one as soon as possible and repeat the test, i actually have to reposition the dish anyway. thanks

Very simple. Wasn't it  grin
Here is a Picture Sample of a String or Rope Test. See how the strings meet at right angles (like a +) at the middle of the Dish. smiley

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by arsenal1(m): 6:29pm On Oct 01, 2008
@chuks101
Its good to know that i am no the only member from owerri. Since you are in owerri why not give me a call so that u can have a first hand info on the channels on both 1.8 and 2.4m dish. respectively. I am on 08032786188
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by arsenal1(m): 6:35pm On Oct 01, 2008
@pitodenz
I agree with you on the clear weather. And i believe we should be able to get nilesat down here in the east and p.h. so why don't we give it a trial one of these days. after all there is no harm in trial abi
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by twinskenny(m): 7:42pm On Oct 01, 2008
I have Brand New DSTV Decoder, I want to exchange it with the STRONG DECODER

ANYONE?

Mail me on email2kenny@gmail.com

or call 08051355133 0r 07025449337
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by twinskenny(m): 7:46pm On Oct 01, 2008
I have a DSTV Card Anyone want to Buy? price 6k
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by salamander(m): 8:16pm On Oct 01, 2008
@all

A friend of mine was tracking W3A @ 7 degree and to his surprise some channels of NSS7 C Band notably, Foxafrica, 2M Monde, Algeria, etc. using transponder 11262 H 27500 appeared. To be extra sure, he came home and repeated the experiment and had the same result.

Any clue how this could be possible?

(1) (2) (3) ... (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) ... (85)

Q-SAT: QUEEN OF SATELLITES? / All About Multi Tv Free To Air On Astra 2b / All about IKS Decoders(Qsat, Speed HD, Azsky)POWERVU BIS & IPTV boxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.