Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,419 members, 7,853,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 05:12 AM

Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) - Satellite TV Technology (75) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (348712 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (85) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by MrGem(m): 10:10pm On Oct 01, 2008
@ALL

RE: My Respected Gurus in the House
Please, how can I do DISEQC CONFIGURATION SETTINGS, step-by-step, on the HITV DECODER? I wish to combine the channels on w3a & intelsat 7/10 ku. Thanks.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by olofofo(m): 10:14pm On Oct 01, 2008
@all

Big thanks to Oga Patata BADARU and His able PA ENITAN they were at my place fro around 10am to almost 8pm.

most of you guys know the story of how my 2.4m dish has been laying fallow after my first installer battered it up from me. and based on the pictre that i posted,, some respectable members of tis forum noted that it might be a bit warped. anyway to cut long story short. Badaru came and as i am talking to you right now, i have about 165 nilesat channels in Lagos! with this renewed confidence that it can be done, i am gearing up to buya brand new 2.4m dish to replace the old one. it was no easy work fixing up the dish, My apreciation goes out to Oga badaru again and enitan.

to everyone in the house resident in lagos, if you have space and can afford to spare a few bucks, NILESAT is the way to go, don't let no dealer convince you that fibre is the only way to go.

Body dey pain me no be small sha! make i go bath, i dey stink! since 8am to 8pm .
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 11:12pm On Oct 01, 2008
@ all,
tracking nilesat with the condition olofofo's dish is has been been the most tremendous operation ever embarked on by great badaru himself, 1st what we did was to track NSS7, and we got that, but we couldnt get nilesat, so we have to move d dish away from where it was positioned to a new ground, and GBAM nilesat signal arrived.
The major problem concerning the tracking of nilesat on 2.4m dish is not getting the signal, the signal can be gotten with 5 mins, the main problem is the fine-tuning, it was at this fine-tuning that we spent close to 4 hours, cos badaru wanted to make sure he gives out his best to olofofo so that he could be able to watch some programmes today, as at the fine-tuining at 3/4pm we were able to get about 28 channels all not breaking, and dont forget that it is at this point nilesat signal becomes worst, but before we left the place around 8 pm, so many more have started turning green and many more are on the queue in becoming green.
If a new dish which has not been tampered with can be gotten, just be well assure that you will get nilesat, your BBC/MBCs/MTV signal will be stable, a trial will convince you,
Due to the time we spent there's not enough time to experiment with olofofo's 1.8m dish in tracking nilesat, but the OGA himself is putting himself as a 'guinea pig' cos he told me he'll be getting a 1.8m dish in 2 weeks time to do that himself, so i will come back here to the forum with positive response base on that.

@ olofofo,
just try to use that application with your starcomms and try to give me a feedback

@ ojofree,
am all yours pending my stay in lagos, just holla at me anytime you need the cable.

@ justx24,
there's no difference between you and olofofo in terms of hobby regarding I.T and FTA, just try and get across to him cos a lot will shared between you two.

@ ejike3,
where are you? come out of your hiding place.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 7:46am On Oct 02, 2008
@ enitan/badaru-nice job,keep it up.But enitan,this is not the first time nilesat has been gotten with 2.4m dish in lagos,some of our forum members here were convience in alaba market some years back in which they took the 2.4m dish home for nilesat.If u go alaba market they ll scan nilesat channels into ur receiver using 2.4m dish,another thing is the high signal level we re receiving now in nilesat is due to fine wheather in the middle east and north africa.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Gangsta101(m): 9:39am On Oct 02, 2008
enitan2002:

@ olofofo,
just try to use that application with your starcomms and try to give me a feedback

What application, if it is a free browsing aid, i am interested.

Back to FTA business, congrats Olofofo, and welcome to the world of nilesat. it is funny how we over here in the north take it for granted while down south people are willing to pay a premium for it, well, i guess that is just one of those things about life. one thing though, after a dish is used to tune a satellite, the signal quality gradually improves over the period of a few days, this is not just one of those myths but something i know a few others have commented on. you might experience signal levels as low as 48% on maybe jsc sports immediately after setting up the dish, but after 24 hrs, probably after the sun has really beaten down on the dish for sometime, u return and find the signal level is now like 52% or even more, so expect much better reception soon. congrats once again, and please get back to me about any starcomms app.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by tunjive200: 1:10pm On Oct 02, 2008
thanks for people like enigma, bigjoe, f_marshal and others that contributed to this eye-opening forum in one way or others.
pls, i read throughout the post from the beginning to the end.Ii felt like a king of all installers in my town.
I bought all the necessary devices i.e strong decoder x series, dish, etc
to my surprise, I tried to track nilesat 7w and i didn't get it . i notice that i made errors in the setting of decoder in areas such as dish setting and co.
pls, i need someone to post the settings of strong decoder to track nilesat 7w and other satelites.
also, ways of using disqec for 4 dishs.
thanks.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by bodejohn(m): 1:48pm On Oct 02, 2008
tunjive200:

thanks for people like enigma, bigjoe, f_marshal and others that contributed to this eye-opening forum in one way or others.
please, i read throughout the post from the beginning to the end.Ii felt like a king of all installers in my town.
I bought all the necessary devices i.e strong decoder x series, dish, etc
to my surprise, I tried to track nilesat 7w and i didn't get it . i notice that i made errors in the setting of decoder in areas such as dish setting and co.
please, i need someone to post the settings of strong decoder to track nilesat 7w and other satelites.
also, ways of using disqec for 4 dishs.
thanks.

@tunjive200
I can see you read through all the posts.
Since you did not specify the "dish" you have i am almost sure it is a 90cm.
You can not get Nilesat 7W with the Hitv/Dstv dish.
You will need atleast a 2.4m dish before you can smell Nilesat in the south of Nigeria.

@ all
I discovered that my mbc 1&2 on W3 does not turn green until late at night.
When it turns green i sometimes have up to 60% signal strenght.
Has anybody noticed this? Any knid suggestions?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by vickoy23: 3:14pm On Oct 02, 2008
salamander:

@all

A friend of mine was tracking W3A @ 7 degree and to his surprise some channels of NSS7 C Band notably, Foxafrica, 2M Monde, Algeria, etc. using transponder 11262 H 27500 appeared. To be extra sure, he came home and repeated the experiment and had the same result.

Any clue how this could be possible?

Those are GTV packages on W3A. But funny though, the freq is for @opensky according to lyngsat. I would give it a shot when I get home. who knows? maybe dem won do us wander
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by bodejohn(m): 3:28pm On Oct 02, 2008
vickoy23:

Those are GTV packages on W3A. But funny though, the freq is for @opensky according to lyngsat. I would give it a shot when I get home. who knows? maybe them won do us wander

@ vickoy23
Foxafrica, 2M Monde, Algeria are not on GTV package.
I used to get them on Nss7 C band.
i will also give it a try when i get home.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by vickoy23: 3:56pm On Oct 02, 2008
bodejohn:

@ vickoy23
Foxafrica, 2M Monde, Algeria are not on GTV package.
I used to get them on Nss7 C band.
i will also give it a try when i get home.

@bodejohn
Oh! oh! Sorry my brother. I cross checked the name against lyngsat listing and concluded they are GTV pack on W3A but for the freq. Still ok to give it a try. I can do with new thing. abi u nko? as my landlord fit high my rent if I go try 2.4 dish. Just joking but I don't have space luxury as I need to consider my co-tenants. U know what I mean?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 5:02pm On Oct 02, 2008
Mr. Gem:

@ALL

RE: My Respected Gurus in the House
Please, how can I do DISEQC CONFIGURATION SETTINGS, step-by-step, on the HITV DECODER? I wish to combine the channels on w3a & intelsat 7/10 ku. Thanks.

I do not own a HITV Decoder, but I would imagine the principle is the same for all Receivers.  wink

Connect the cables coming from the LNB to the DiseqC switch. In this example, lets say 1 and 2 on the DiseqC switch. Now, go to the decoder and assign the port numbers on the receiver to correspond with the numbers you assigned to the Satellites on the DiseqC. Being an installer, I would assume that you know to set the LNB type and Frequency, so I would leave you to figure that out. See attached photo of a 2 Satellite setup. cool

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 5:13pm On Oct 02, 2008
olofofo:

@all

Big thanks to Oga Patata BADARU and His able PA ENITAN they were at my place fro around 10am to almost 8pm.

most of you guys know the story of how my 2.4m dish has been laying fallow after my first installer battered it up from me. and based on the pictre that i posted,, some respectable members of tis forum noted that it might be a bit warped. anyway to cut long story short. Badaru came and as i am talking to you right now, i have about 165 nilesat channels in Lagos! with this renewed confidence that it can be done, i am gearing up to buya brand new 2.4m dish to replace the old one. it was no easy work fixing up the dish, My apreciation goes out to Oga badaru again and enitan.

to everyone in the house resident in lagos, if you have space and can afford to spare a few bucks, NILESAT is the way to go, don't let no dealer convince you that fibre is the only way to go.

Body dey pain me no be small sha! make i go bath, i dey stink! since 8am to 8pm .
Badaru, Enitan & Olofofo, you guys have done a marvellous job!!!! grin I can imagine the sparkle in your eyes when you guys captured that bird!!!! cool WHAT A RUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHH!!!!!!!! In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with having too many channels. Nice work guys!!! grin
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by olofofo(m): 5:44pm On Oct 02, 2008
@F_Marshall

thanks for the call all the way from yonder, really appreciate it. i believe together on this thread we can do great things together.
Gangsta101:

What application, if it is a free browsing aid, i am interested.

Back to FTA business, congrats Olofofo, and welcome to the world of nilesat. it is funny how we over here in the north take it for granted while down south people are willing to pay a premium for it, well, i guess that is just one of those things about life. one thing though, after a dish is used to tune a satellite, the signal quality gradually improves over the period of a few days, this is not just one of those myths but something i know a few others have commented on. you might experience signal levels as low as 48% on maybe jsc sports immediately after setting up the dish, but after 24 hrs, probably after the sun has really beaten down on the dish for sometime, u return and find the signal level is now like 52% or even more, so expect much better reception soon. congrats once again, and please get back to me about any starcomms app.

@enitan2002.

how ya people. still have not been able to get the starcomms to work with the app u gave, but my brother it's a beautiful application, it's strange that i have not heard about it before. thanks. give me you email address make i mail the starcomm thing to you so that you fir test am for your side. that goes for you too pitodenz.

@ pitodenz

i think you are wrong though about alaba and 2.4m dish. what they use mostly over there is Fibre, i don not know of any single person inside ALABA that uses 2.4m dish right now for Nilesat, Badaru has this theory that the more people locked on to a bird the better the signal, am starting to think that  might be really true. so be not afraid to try it over there in the east as well.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 6:01pm On Oct 02, 2008
@Olofofo

As you requested, below are some links to  "Internet Key Sharing" Receivers (IKS) that update Automatically via the internet using a Dongle. Note; you must have a Broadband internet connection to enjoy the benefits of these receivers. Also, please make sure it is compatible with your system before you buy. If you can afford it, you should go for Receivers that are HD MPEG4 capable. Do not buy MPEG 2, HD Receiver because they are not upward convertible. Meaning an MPEG 4 receiver can display MPEG 2 HD content in addition to displaying MPEG 4. On the other hand, MPEG 2 HD receiver can only display MPEG 2 content. The Captain 8000HD is an example of an MPEG 2 Receiver. Remember, all information provided is for Educational purposes only. [/color]

[color=#990000]nfusion
http://www.nfusionnova.net/

Kbox K1 Heroes PVR http://www.kbox-k1.com/

Coolsat http://www.coolsatusa.com/inc.php?inc=product
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Smartsboy(m): 6:04pm On Oct 02, 2008
Please can i recieve W3A fta channels on 90cm ku-band dish? If yes. Wat r the freq and sr. Thanks
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 6:15pm On Oct 02, 2008
Smart$boy:

Please can i recieve W3A fta channels on 90cm ku-band dish? If yes. what r the freq and sr. Thanks
Read the first post and Attachment on this thread. See Here.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Gangsta101(m): 6:16pm On Oct 02, 2008
Olofofo,

If u can click on my user name, it should take you to my profile where u will see my gmail address. Enigma has made me develope an aversion about pasting addresses on the net. sorry for the trouble.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by FMarshal2(m): 6:25pm On Oct 02, 2008
olofofo:

@F_Marshal

It was nice talking to you too. Keep catching them Birds!!!! grin Oh, Remember to put up the pictures of what the dish looks like now. Better still, did you take pictures during the installation? Post them if you can. cool
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by vickoy23: 6:58pm On Oct 02, 2008
@Mr. Gem

I do not think you can use a diseq on HITV receivers. I am not sure if the receiver is diseq enabled. but in case it is, the principle is this. your diseq has four inputs and one output (for a 4-way type). these inputs allows you to connect four dishes (LNB) and the output connects to your receiver.

Setting it as your receiver, all you have to do is to allocate the satellite to the diseq port. for example if your HITV is connected to input 1 on your diseq then eutelsatw4 or whatever the sat name you use to receive HITV should be set to 1. on strong receiver, which i am very familiar with, you would go to the menu, select dish settings, select your satellite, select your diseq type (1.2 or 2.0), select the input port of the satellite e.g 1 and the last option incase you select 2.0 as ur diseq type is commitment which i guess means in case u have more than 1 satellite coming through port 1, u commit the satelite to a specific number. you do same fo the other satellite e.g mytv which is on intel 7/10, u have it on port 2, u follow same step above but changing the port to 2. you should be good to go. Like I said, I am not sure the HITV receives are diseq enabled. in case it is and u are not able to do it, u can get through on phone to he house guru, probably 2ru a midnight call and u would be worked through. a pic has been posted ealier by F marshal which explains the layout better.

best of luck
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by olofofo(m): 7:57pm On Oct 02, 2008
F_Marshal:

It was nice talking to you too. Keep catching them Birds!!!! grin Oh, Remember to put up the pictures of what the dish looks like now. Better still, did you take pictures during the installation? Post them if you can. cool

i had planned to take pictures during the installation but we were so busy that i forgot. i will endeavour to post pictures of the dish as it is right now tommorow.

thx for the link you posted. the decode i was telling you about that i saw with badaru is humax 5400 (google it!). the unique thing about it is that it has a RJ45 connection at the back which makes it perfect for internet access and card sharing.

@enitan and Oga Badaru

I got my decode patched today turns out that that cable we were using was not good. i bought a new cable today and the upload was done immediately from my laptop.

@gangstar101

check ur gmail
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by badaru1(m): 8:16pm On Oct 02, 2008
@olofofo

How far with ur nile now ? where u able to get the remote? I need that dowload cable too
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by olofofo(m): 8:29pm On Oct 02, 2008
badaru1:

@olofofo

How far with ur nile now ? where u able to get the remote? I need that dowload cable too

oga patapata.

the nile dey, i get like 170 channels this morning and the MBC did not even break. around nine when i was stepping out that was when i noticed a few cracks.

I asked for the remote in a couple of places and they did not have. I will keep trying for and if we no get here, then abroad.

regarding the cable, i will have one for you whenever we see. how far with your laptop, any improvement?

@ll

there'a new twin decoder in the market( it comes in pairs) one in the sitting room and maybe the other in the bedroom, you can actually flick channels on the one in the room just like the one in the sitting room. i think it comes with it;s own card-sharing technology. the brand i saw in the market is called sat track.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by captainus: 8:32pm On Oct 02, 2008
@ bodejohn u r not alone with the mbc1&2 issue. @ALL an alternative tp for tv miramar is 10963H 3248 quality is 60% and not breaking.i did a blind scan and got about 5-6 tps with good signal quality on W3 but with no pictures.anybody with the same xperience?lets hope something good is on the way.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by azeezbaba(m): 10:00pm On Oct 02, 2008
@ all

Can anybody please tell me where can get HUMAX receiver.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by obnelly: 11:13pm On Oct 02, 2008
congrat olofofo,for those who still cant afford nilesat ,try w3a i watched liverpool vs psv (champions league)on mbc3 ,they hooked up to super sport 3.Did anybody get that yesterday?Concerning the drop in signal i experienced it but with that low signal my signal is still ok around 45% in the evening.You are likely get more channels on nilesat ,olofofo .mine is up to 300+
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by jujukemist(m): 11:28pm On Oct 02, 2008
undecided undecided Badaru and enitan, congratulations!some thread times back, I insisted that fibre dish is a distraction from the proliferation of our FTA evolution, especially for my southern brothers.
these are my addtions';a 1.8m dish may not work.I have on record that a 3.2m dish is the best for lagos region,two have been installed.I agree with badaru's theory.clusters of dish acessing the Nilesat bird sustains a signal  cloud. Soon i belive we can use a polythene type material to make our dish for nilesat.Use lnbs with strong signal absorption-cut it open.Nilesat will ket better cheesy
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 4:54am On Oct 03, 2008
@ jujukemist,
i really appreciate your agreement with badaru's theory taht with more dishes in lagos facing the nilesat bird, will draw in more of the signal.
But concerning the tracking of nilesat with a 1.8m dish, well i still have hope on that, at least we'll still be able to get some TPs, MBCs are very certain.

@olofofo,
I think you will do the whole house a favour by simply putting in some certain stations with their various signal strengths, at different time.

@ captainus,
i got some TPs that were very high in signal strength, but sows neither video nor audio, i just hope those TPs dont belong t GTV, then if they are not, there should be a smile on our faces (W3A viewers) in some months time.

Who watched the US Vice Presidential debate on MSNBC, those guys are da BOMB regarding US elections, not even CNN can stand up to them.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by NashFTA(m): 8:05am On Oct 03, 2008
@Olofofo,
You replied on September 30, 2008; 08:13AM,
"nice JOB. yes i receive citizen and KTN as well but none is as interesting to watch as NTV. I have been unsuccessful in getting their programme schedule from both their youtube site or nationmedia site. it will be nice to have it. my email lsb2k@yahoo.com. thx again".

@Olofofo and all NTV viewers on Intelsat 902 at 62 East; Freq.=3814, Polarisation=V, Symbolrate = 3852.
I have attached here the latest NTV WEEKLY PROGRAMME SCHEDULE for you.
Kind regards.

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by badaru1(m): 8:29am On Oct 03, 2008
@Enitan

The phone is working on my set now,so send me the detail of the setup through my mail:badaru1@yahoo.com
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Nobody: 8:50am On Oct 03, 2008
@ badaru1,
I think doing that on phone will be the best thing, so a midnite call will be the best option.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Enigma(m): 10:33am On Oct 03, 2008
enitan2002:

@ jujukemist,
i really appreciate your agreement with badaru's theory taht with more dishes in lagos facing the nilesat bird, will draw in more of the signal.

This theory is simply not correct. No matter the number of dishes pointing at a satellite, that number alone cannot increase or improve signal strength. As far as people receiving better signal from Nilesat is concerned, one explanation I can give is this: the likelihood is that people received more channels when Nilesat 102 was deployed in addition to Nilesat 101. Remember that there are three satellites located at the orbital position of 7w i.e. Nilesat 101, Nilesat 102 and Atlantic Bird 4 --- thereby increasing the number of frequencies and channels that can be received.

Compare saying that a radio FM frequency signal increases depending on the number of radio sets trying to receive the frequency; it is just not true; it is contrary to the physics/science.

@ toxnaija

Email sent

@ badaru1

First of all, have you now got the Humax Remote Control? If not, check the following links to see if the model required is there and how much. http://www.remotesrus.co.uk/remote/make/HUMAX.htm
http://www.twenga.co.uk/dir-Audio-Video,Home-cinema,Remote-control-12866

Otherwise just google 'Humax remote control'

@ all who have been working on and just got Nilesat (badaru, enitan, olofofo etc)

Well done y'all; I might need to call on your expertise one day when I am ready to install for Nilesat in Lagos.

cool
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Smartsboy(m): 10:41am On Oct 03, 2008
Pls guys, can i have d tp and sr to rcieve W3A fta? I have 90cm ku band dish.

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (85)

Q-SAT: QUEEN OF SATELLITES? / All About Multi Tv Free To Air On Astra 2b / All about IKS Decoders(Qsat, Speed HD, Azsky)POWERVU BIS & IPTV boxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.