Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,536 members, 7,812,666 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:09 PM

My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? (39331 Views)

Happie Boys To Be Deported From Cyprus Within 30 Days - Leaked Chat / Nigerian Lady Denied Canadian Residency, To Be Deported For Having Baby (pics) / Nigerian Man Begs To Be Deported After 5 Years In Italy/Germany (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by jubrilELsudan: 1:31am On Aug 30, 2023
AS E BE SO NOW DEM GO EXECUTE AM OOOO

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Father4all: 1:32am On Aug 30, 2023
Onefornaija24:
My primary school mate just got convicted in the USA for 36 months.

It had to do with money laundering, aza man issues about 200k USD.

He has a green card but not a citizen.

He has been in the USA since 2017.

He has 2 kids he gave birth to there with naija wife.

He impregnated an akata, akata oyibo woman gave birth while he was in prison because he was already in detention till the court conviction last week.

WILL HE BE DEPORTED after serving his jail terms?

why do you ask? Are you benefiting from him?

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Empiree: 1:34am On Aug 30, 2023
Onefornaija24:

He impregnated an akata, akata oyibo woman gave birth while he was in prison because he was already in detention till the court conviction last week.

No. His sentence is not up to 10 years. He will just have heard time getting citizenship
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 1:35am On Aug 30, 2023
Chibuzoripob:
keep quiet illiterate .Go and deport him

As I suspected you are a tout. You haveenver even applied for a visa nor do you know the way to an international airport. You will never ever leave Nigeria.

You are so useless and likely a yoruba. Only ou guys act like beasts like this

Bye

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 1:36am On Aug 30, 2023
Empiree:
No. His sentence is not up to 10 years. He will just have heard time getting citizenship

Listen there is no crime in keeping silent and saying you have never applied for visa that you don't know what t say.

My dear you typed rubbish so next time shut up about topics you don't know anything about

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 1:38am On Aug 30, 2023
tshtsh:

By the time he comes out akata may have moved on and will probably demand child support from him which will make it harder for him to attain financial stability

Why do Nigerians talk about what they have no idea about? It might be me being petty but Oga why not face front since you don't know anything?
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 1:39am On Aug 30, 2023
YesDaddyTill203:

Not true. He will be deported.
Anyone not a US citizen with a sentence of more than 12 months is subject to deportation regardless of the crime.
If it's a State case, he might get lucky and fall through the cracks of bureaucracy.
But in the Federal system, which I'm sure he is with a money laundering case, he cannot escape it.

He commited a felony , he will be deported even if it was a state crime. Stop talking nonsense

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 1:40am On Aug 30, 2023
UnabashedIPOB:

As long as he's NOT a US citizen, he's deportable. And MOST likely while he's still serving his prison sentence, the US Immigration would put what's called a DETAINER on him. That means when he's done serving his prison term, BOP (Bureau of Prisons) will hold him for US Immigration to take him into their custody. Then while in Immigration custody, he would appear before an Immigration judge who decides his fate. If he's lucky, he might be granted a bond and if he can make his bond, he will be let go to appear later. But if the judge decides at the bond hearing that he will be deported, then he will remain in custody until he's deported. The US Congress especially with Immigration gave discretionary power to NOT only the Immigration judges but also immigration officers. That's the reason why an immigration officer at the port of entry could deny you entry even if you have a valid VISA.

Best answer here most of therest and talking rubbish to sound cool
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by abbey621(m): 1:41am On Aug 30, 2023
Mancala:

Many factors to consider aside from sentencing guidelines. It costs on average about $50,000 per annum to incarcerate a person in the US. He should go home and not cost taxpayers any further burden. He’s a good candidate for a prisoner swap… send him home to complete his sentence in exchange for a U.S. citizen in a Nigerian jail

U.S citizen in a Nigerian jail.......Good one, I needed a good laugh grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 1:42am On Aug 30, 2023
cooooooks:
Because he has a green card, he is a permanent resident.

He could still be deported, but he has more options.

Another one who knows nothing but wants to type to appear cool.

Oga he will be deported and green card revoked. All of you who have never left Nigeria before are just typing nonsense on this thread

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Glock22: 1:43am On Aug 30, 2023
Onefornaija24:
He was also ordered to make restitution

If they deport him, how will he pay?

Garnished assets
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by linearity: 1:43am On Aug 30, 2023
He will be deported either immediately after serving his prison sentence or later.

For sure, he is not not qualify to Naturalization and become a citizen, hopefully he has gotten his ten years Green Card as that would buy him more time in case he is not deported after serving his sentence.

If he is not deported immediately after serving his sentence, advice never to file for citizenship even if he is qualified to do as that will give immigration another time to give his whole file another look.

If he must renew his Green Card, he should look for a good attorney and should do that after having acquired a substantial period of good moral behavior e.g. five years after finishing his sentence. This good behavior period is not a get out of jail card, but it is a mitigating behavior to show immigration that he has ‘learnt’ his lesson, but they can still close the books on him regardless.

Even if his kids file for him done the road, this will still stand in his way. The best defense against not reaping the consequences of a crime is not to commit the crime.

4 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 1:44am On Aug 30, 2023
AugustusA1:
Problem is, police is not immigration but the problem is immigration looks at police records to issue citizenship. Plus naturalization certificate of citizenship comes from immigration court/judge. That may hinder him becoming a citizen at the end of the day but most likely won’t be deported unless they perceive him to be further menace to the society. He needs a very good attorney at the end of d day.

Another one. Please shut up

He will be deported and his green card revoked .

Infact from court he would be taken back to h detention facility likely a district holding facility From there he would be moved to a state pen.

After serving his sentence he would be handed over to ICE for deportation.

So shut up and stop talking rubbish

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by bolegs(m): 1:45am On Aug 30, 2023
Certainly he will be deported so long has he has not yet acquired American citizenship. The restitution they will overlook but in future it might be an issue when he tries to legally return which has a remote chance of succeeding. I don’t even think he will be able to enter any of the Euro countries, I know someone in an identical situation who was returned in 2011 and has not been able to get even into Ireland 🇮🇪.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 1:46am On Aug 30, 2023
falopey:

I know someone who was deported. I don't know the crime he committed and whether he served a prison term but he was banned fort ten year. His child after clocking 18 years filed for him and brought him back to the US. It took him like a total of 15 years in Nigeria before the US could finally approve him for a visa through his citizen child to be able to travel back to the US. Again, I don't know full story about his reason for deportation.

New laws have been amended. Felony charges especially class A , will not be allowed back to America and he will be subject to a ban of 10 years upwards. But for this case likely 20 to 40nyears. Even if his child is 20 years he or she can't apply until after the ban

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Glock22: 1:47am On Aug 30, 2023
Onefornaija24:

HE WILL BE DEPORTED.

His file will have a note to contact immigration before release. On his release date, immigration will be on standby.

He will not be deported immediately though, he will face another trial which is an immigration court to determine if he is still eligible to stay.

He will need an immigration lawyer to plead his case in that court.

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Unperturbedpota: 1:47am On Aug 30, 2023
linearity:
He will be deported either immediately after serving his prison sentence or later.

For sure, he is not not qualify to Naturalization and become a citizen, hopefully he has gotten his ten years Green Card as that would buy him more time in case he is not deported after serving his sentence.

If he is not deported immediately after serving his sentence, advice never to file for citizenship even if he is qualified to do as that will give immigration another time to give his whole file another look.

If he must renew his Green Card, he should look for a good attorney and should do that after having acquired a substantial period of good moral behavior e.g. five years after finishing his sentence. This good behavior period is not a get out of jail card, but it is a mitigating behavior to show immigration that he has ‘learnt’ his lesson, but they can still close the books on him regardless.

Even if his kids file for him done the road, this will still stand in his way. The best defense against not reaping the consequences of a crime is not to commit the crime.

Not true , I know serveal Nigerians who had heir green card revoked. All for fraud related cases and drugs though one was grand theft.

Either way a green card is revoked for such

He will never return to America again

2 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Glock22: 1:49am On Aug 30, 2023
Unperturbedpota:

Another one. Please shut up

He will be deported and his green card revoked .

Infact from court he would be taken back to h detention facility likely a district holding facility From there he would be moved to a state pen.

After serving his sentence he would be handed over to ICE for deportation.

So shut up and stop talking rubbish

The bolded is not true.

Deportation is not automatic.

He will face another trial in an immigration court where he will be ruled to stay or get deported.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by linearity: 1:52am On Aug 30, 2023
Unperturbedpota:

He commited a felony , he will be deported even if it was a state crime. Stop talking nonsense

I think what he meant is, there are some States, especially blue States that don’t share immigrant prison information with ICE.

In those cases, ICE will not even know if he is convicted of any crime and won’t know if he is serving in prison or not.

In those situations, he will more likely ‘fall through the cracks’ but he would have to remain in those cracks for almost forever and later become illegal.

If his Green Card expires and he tries to renew it or if he try to file for citizenship; that is when ICE would pull his files and get the 411 on his felony and would definitely deny his application and put him in deportation proceedings.

But all these are hypothetical because he committed a federal crime so ICE would get the 411 from day one.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by obaidan: 1:52am On Aug 30, 2023
Onefornaija24:

he is not a citizen... Green card is not permanent.....it's renewable....However anything that you have to renew will have the renewal predicated on being of good conduct.... so e come remain how ur friend will prove to immigration officers that going to jail for fraud is not bad conduct
he may not be deported but how will this not affect upgrade of his green card to citizenship.....YOur friend will need a lawyer, they will find a way around it. Lawyer will most likely buy him time, during which period he will be adviced to start getting involved in charitable activities, he may get the citizenship some day, but e go far sha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Glock22: 1:54am On Aug 30, 2023
linearity:

I think what he meant is, there are some States, especially blue States that don’t share immigrant prison information with ICE.

In those cases, ICE will not even know if he is convicted of any crime and won’t know if he is serving in prison or not.

In those situations, he will more likely ‘fall through the cracks’ but he would have to remain in those cracks for almost forever and later become illegal.

If his Green Card expires and he tries to renew it or if he try to file for citizenship; that is when ICE would pull his files and get the 411 on his felony and would definitely deny his application and put him in deportation proceedings.

But all these are hypothetical because he committed a federal crime so ICE would get the 411 from day one.

In the form, you will be asked if you have ever been convicted, or have a pending trial.

If you lie, you can be refused and banned.
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by obaidan: 1:58am On Aug 30, 2023
Glock22:

In the form, you will be asked if you have ever been convicted, or have a pending trial.

If you lie, you can be refused and banned.
if he lies, he WILL be refused..na confirm refusal
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Emetex22(m): 1:58am On Aug 30, 2023
It depends on who owns the money and people involved, i mean drug money, traffickingand public fund.With a good lawyer, he won't be deported, but it will.be awhile before he will ever be granted citizenship

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by obaidan: 1:58am On Aug 30, 2023
Emetex22:
It depends on who owns the money and people involved, i mean drug money, traffickingand public fund.With a good lawyer, he won't be deported, but it will.be awhile before he will ever be granted citizenship
e fit reach 6billion years aswear
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Empiree: 1:59am On Aug 30, 2023
Unperturbedpota:

Best answer here most of therest and talking rubbish to sound cool
You may respond to people without being aggressive in your responses. Don't scare people away, buddy.

You are free to deport him if you can. Be gentle. Some people posted simple responses to bait someone like you. So be humble my friend.

Yes, his crime is a felony. This post doesn't have enough information. There might be other conditions in his sentence we may not know about. Yes, he's vulnerable to deportation in as much he's not a citizen. You should also consider state laws which are vary. We don't have information about which state he was convicted.

So when I said his sentence was not up to 10 years I knew what I was talking about. Sometimes the law says felony conviction of non-US citizen leads to deportation but this is not always the case. He will have a lawyer to fight it right?.

So be calm and don't be hard on people the way you responded to me. You don't know where I live and you automatically assumed I never got US visa. Smh

13 years ago in New York, Indian student with green card was convicted of murder which he was not directly responsible for but his words were directly linked to the victim killing himself.

He was sentenced to almost 2 years which he already served 1 year during investigation and trial. At his sentencing, his mother pleaded to politicians to have his sentence reduced. Jury said his sentence was over 10 years which automatically attracted deported after release. But after so much pleading, jury sentenced him to 18 months or so.

The news media said the NY- state law says, sentence of 10yrs or more is deportation after release and they said the boy was lucky. So be gentle when you reply to people. Your replies are very harsh my dear.

I knew this guy's vulnerable to deportation but do I need to scare people here?. Do I need to scare his friend that posted this?. Let's be gentle and be hopeful that he is not removed after he served his term.

Thank you

10 Likes

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Empiree: 2:01am On Aug 30, 2023
Emetex22:
Unperturbedpota, you see this response is similar to what I said too, isn't?.

So be humble
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by obaidan: 2:01am On Aug 30, 2023
Onefornaija24:

If they deport him,who will now pay restitution?
they know its going to be difficult for him to get any meaningful job after serving jail term
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by Akatsuki1(f): 2:02am On Aug 30, 2023
Lol
Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by obaidan: 2:04am On Aug 30, 2023
justwise:

Too little, that criminal deserves longer than that.
The reason the are keeping the jail term low is because they most likely want to deport him....the longer he stays in American jail, the more money America will spend on him...and if they have no need for him after jail term, why would they wanna spend so much money to keep him in jail.

1 Like

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by YesDaddyTill203: 2:05am On Aug 30, 2023
Unperturbedpota:

Dumbest retard, I guess you didn't comprehend the part where I said he might fall through the cracks if it's a state crime. I know people who did state time and the State failed to turn them over to the Feds.
State can also prosecute felonies also incase your dumb ass didn't know that.
People can still fall through the Federal system not to talk of State. No system is 100 percent.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by YesDaddyTill203: 2:09am On Aug 30, 2023
falopey:

I know someone who was deported. I don't know the crime he committed and whether he served a prison term but he was banned fort ten year. His child after clocking 18 years filed for him and brought him back to the US. It took him like a total of 15 years in Nigeria before the US could finally approve him for a visa through his citizen child to be able to travel back to the US. Again, I don't know full story about his reason for deportation.
It can be done but it's a long process. If the crime involves drugs or fraud it's Much harder to get the approval. Anyone can apply for a waiver after 10 years of deportation but to get the waiver is usually the wahala.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Friend Just Got Convicted In The USA, Will He Be Deported? by WayoProphet: 2:12am On Aug 30, 2023
Which one be akata oyibo woman? Akata na akata, onyibo woman na white. Don't mix the two

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Anambra Explosion: Delta State Fire Service Came To The Rescue (photos) / Despite Security Shortcoming, Owerri Still A Bustling City (pix) / Lagos To Abuja Flight Cost - Arik Air

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.