Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,705 members, 7,813,336 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:57 AM

80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack (10154 Views)

Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better / Nigerian Films Are Now Becoming What You Can't Watch With Your Family These Days / What Nollywood Films Are Known For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by uzomaeze(m): 11:45am On Sep 13, 2007
you had a full discription of Naija movies

you really funny
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Bosdem(f): 12:33pm On Sep 13, 2007
I have stop watching Nigeria movies a long time ago, cos it does not thrill me
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by onyekang1(f): 1:19pm On Sep 13, 2007
@ poster

u r damn rite,dats if its not 99.9%
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by lafile(m): 2:47pm On Sep 13, 2007
@ Poster 93.348% to be more precise.

@ Bencobenz. Quite hilarious. Unfortunately, quite true. PS Forgot to add that shirts worn by men must not be their size. Body guards (even of very respectable politicians and busines men) must be thug-looking, thickly-muscled men wearing sunglasses, t-shirts and waist coats.

@Krisobo. Hope all this hope u are raising will not break our hearts. quite agree though that there are shades of good things showing in some place. Like music videos for instance.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by osereka(m): 4:35pm On Sep 13, 2007
@bencobenz,
all babalawo are bad
while in yoruba movie the white garment babalawos are good
some actors always play bad role like pete edochie, chiwetalo agu etc

while some play hillarious role like sam locco, etc

any flick about money ritual, u must see kanayo o kanayo
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by gidson12(m): 6:51pm On Sep 13, 2007
dont really watch those child's play called home movies
thats why non of them has really featured in any Hollywood movies
cos they are all amateurs from the very start till date and beyound
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by andrewdg(m): 8:10pm On Sep 13, 2007
comparing the woods is wrong but what nigerian film makers should understand is that we have weakness in production cost. it takes millions in dollars to make a film like titanic but it may cost less producing 'the pursiut of happiness.' since we cant spend money on stunts and effect, why cant we focus on dramma with superb story and plotting? our movie makers mistake d priorities in making a good film. they steal story here and there and try to make a miracle out of it. a good script is the bedrock of a good film.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 8:51pm On Sep 13, 2007
true that too!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by coolkaboom(m): 9:38pm On Sep 13, 2007
what do u mean 80% of nollywood films are wack, i absolutely disagree.what would possess u to make such a propestorous statement.arrant nonsense.for ur infomation, it's officially common knowledge that 99.99999999999999999999% are ridiculously awful.please stop misyannin
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by kellorah: 10:23pm On Sep 13, 2007
One of the most annoying things about it all is they do not listen to US! Afterall, we're the ones watching/buying/borrowing (etc) these movies. They need to be told-and if they've been told, they need to learn to listen. It's embarassing!

You're watching a movie and you can see the camera man's shadow. WTF?!!!!!!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by kellorah: 10:27pm On Sep 13, 2007
Ok, what's with the massive houses that end up being EMPTY in the inside?

What's with the soundtracks?

When in a club----with banging music---but no one talking, all of a sudden, when one starts talking, the music DISAPPEARS just like that.

Who would you say is in charge of the crap some of us are managing to tolerate? undecided
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by naijadiva2(f): 10:28pm On Sep 13, 2007
kellorah:

One of the most annoying things about it all is they do not listen to US! Afterall, we're the ones watching/buying/borrowing (etc) these movies. They need to be told-and if they've been told, they need to learn to listen. It's embarassing!

You're watching a movie and you can see the camera man's shadow. WTF?!!!!!!

that was funny but its true, they should pay more attention to their audiences and viewers because we are the one that will buy their movies. if their movies aren't the best, we not going to buy it. sometimes i feel like directing the movie, telling them how to dress and make their hair, and most importantly, not fake the accent.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by naijadiva2(f): 10:31pm On Sep 13, 2007
kellorah:

Ok, what's with the massive houses that end up being EMPTY in the inside?

What's with the soundtracks?

When in a club----with banging music---but no one talking, all of a sudden, when one starts talking, the music DISAPPEARS just like that.

Who would you say is in charge of the crap some of us are managing to tolerate? undecided

forget that, what i hate the most is how the ending never ends right. you trying to figure out who did what and then a song comes on because that's the end of the movie, after watching part one, two, and three.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Seun(m): 10:32pm On Sep 13, 2007
The scripts just aren't written right, i guess, which is so sad. Don't worry, I'm coming!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by kellorah: 10:34pm On Sep 13, 2007
The writers do much better than the directors.

''This is just the begining''
''To God be the glory''

And then you have hungry voices singing---instead of using proper soundtracks.

Seriously, I can do better. I know I can and I'll prove it-----someday. wink
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by naijadiva2(f): 10:37pm On Sep 13, 2007
they should get us to film the movies. it will be nairaland productions.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by kellorah: 10:38pm On Sep 13, 2007
Hahahahaha. That's a first! grin

It'll be the BEST production. cheesy

Let 'em bring it on.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by naijadiva2(f): 10:41pm On Sep 13, 2007
i'm out so see you later.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by kellorah: 10:46pm On Sep 13, 2007
It hasn't even started and you're out? undecided

Aaiight---later! wink
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by WarfyBoy(m): 9:19am On Sep 14, 2007
ITS TRUE!!! BT OUT OF TEN BAD EGS U MUST ALSO SEE A GUD 1, ITS JUST DAT SOME HURRY HURRY IBO BOYS WEY WAN MAKE BY ALL MEANS DEY RUSH LEAVE WERE DEM B THEY LEARN WORK AS DIRECTOR FROM THERE GOA HAND GO ESTABLISH THERE OWN, SO WE STILL HAV GUD I MEAN GUD DIRECTOR, EG, TCHIDI CHIKERE, ANDY AMENECHI, KINGSLEY OGORO, ZEB EJIRO ETC. THESE A GUD DIRECTORS, SOME OF D PROPS WE ALSO ENCOUNTER IS D FACT DT, NIGERIAN DIRECTORS DNT SPENMD TO REALY EDIT/DIRECT DERE FILMS PROPERLY, WIT THER NORMAL SAYING "ABEG MAKE WE MANAGE AM LIKE DAT" A DIRECTOR IN AMERICA CAN TAKE A 1 YEAR 2 DIRECTOR N EDIT A FILM, DATS Y WE STILL LONG TO WATCH THERE FILMS EVEN 20YEARS LATER, BT OUR OWN, AFTER WATCHING IT ONES U WE BE ANGRY IF U EVA C D CD AGAIN ET ALONE WATCHING IT, SO ITS OUR DIRCTORS FAULT TO B FAIR

@ TIMES I DEY 1DA WEDA WE NO GET PIPO WEY DEY CHECK THESE TINS, B4 MOVIE GO ENTA MAKET MAKE DEM CHECK AM PROPERLY 2 C WETHER E MAKE SENSE OR NOT
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by krisbobo(m): 11:06am On Sep 14, 2007
@ warfy boy

Bro, u got some fundamentals wrong.

some of the directors you named are the wackest in the industry!

the time it takes to shoot a film is not a determinat factor in the overall creative quality of a film! case in point: it took forever to shoot and edit Jeta Amata's Amazing Grace. He even shot on 35mm format but at the end of the day is it a good film? NO. That film as beeen unable to get international distribution even aqfter it was "screened" at cannes. Why? simple: the fundamentals were wrong from the word go.

today, even major hollywood players are moving onto didital technology. Filmmaking is becoming no more about time but about the substance of the people involved.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by chimaEsq: 11:35am On Sep 14, 2007
i think u are very correct.its not only the writing of scripts that needs to be given attention to.editing of the movies too needs attention.most movies are not worth watching on our screens.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by gidson12(m): 12:42pm On Sep 14, 2007
Nigerian are good in epical dramas that portrays our rich cultural heritage, but when they delve into trying to loook western, in there movies there they get amateur and wack
they should just continues in cultural drama movies they are good in that areas, foreigners enjoy that areas too
and with time they should study other areas of movies before jumping into them
i enjoy there drama series too
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by andrewdg(m): 9:12pm On Sep 14, 2007
aside from the wack editing wat baffles me the more is that they have to stretch each scene to enable them get a part 2 movie. why cant they contract a writer for a 2 part job than turning a short story into a part 1,2,3 movie. we need to think straight
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Seun(m): 10:35pm On Sep 14, 2007
Stretching a movie into two parts is a way to get you to pay more. Nigerian movie buyers are too stingy! wink
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by drkchoclit(f): 1:26am On Sep 15, 2007
I have some questions and comments:

First of all, how can I get ahold of some Nollywood pictures here in Yankee?

Second, yes, comparing Nollywood and Hollywood are like comparing the poverbial "apples and oranges", and not even that.

Why?

I believe the main difference is culture. But deeper than that, I believe the reasons why American movies are so rich and varied is because American culture itself is so individualistic and mixed.

When you think of all the races, ethnic groups, and nationalities in American, there are millions of different stories to tell. Add that to the fact that ours is a culture in which we are encouraged to do and be whoever and whatever we want.

On the other hand, Naija culture, while richer than ours because it's undiluted, is very distinct. Naija people have a certain "way of being" for lack of a better term.

For example, if the movies have lots of religious themes, it's because Nigerians are very religious people. A film where the preacher saves the day would NEVER fly in Yankee, because our culture says one's religion is a very personal thing that isn't discussed or flaunted, lest you start arguments and factions. Our country is based on religious freedom, and part of that is the freedom NOT to practice religion. I'm not saying it's better, or that we are godless. It's just the way it is.

Secondly, Hollywood movies didn't start out so varied and rich. The silent films started with a basic "good guy/bad guy" premise, cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, a handsome prince/pirate/wealthy guy that "gets the girl"

In time people wanted to see richer "fantasy" type movies, because silent movies became talkies, America suffered "the Great Depression". As everyone was poor, they wanted to escape and see movies about the rich.

Then in the 1940s, you had "war movies" cira WWII

In the 50's, the country was prosperous, so you had very glamours stars, and movies for teenager, with the invention of "Rock and Roll".

The 60's gave us more "youth orientented" movies. The 70s gave us epics, and classics based on rich character stories. The US was in a recession, people were angry about the Vietnam war, lots of stuff going on.

I could go on with the 80s, the 90s, etc, but the point is that the storylines of the movies grew as society changed and grew. Writers could tell and sell richer stories, because the public was ready for more as time progressed. Along with this, the movie industry was able to build upon itself. California's industry used to be primarily farm goods. There is LOTS of farm land in California. But with the growth of Hollywood, and entertainment, the tourism and entertainment revenues are able to sustain the whole country, let alone the state. Certainly, California is one of the most expensive states to live in.

I must agree that, If Nollywood wants to grow, it MUST put quality of quantity. The early Hollywood script writers wanted to tell their stories, rich stories, and that's why the movies of the "golden era" are still classics generations later.

I think the world would support, and embrace Nollywood films, if they represented well. I could see Nollywood films blowing up the way Bollywood films have. Bollywood films have practically become mainstream now.

I think too, Nigerian writers need to tell stories that the world can relate to. You know, it took for me hanging out here in this forum to FURTHER see that people are people essentially.  I say, put stories out there that people around the world can empathize, or at least sympathize with. Let the Nollywood filmakers show the world that their art is worthy of respect, and not just some quaint sub-culture stuff.

Like anything else, if you want people to respect you/your art, you have to first respect yourself/your art.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 6:49am On Sep 15, 2007
They aren't done with stories about witchcraft and all!! grin
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by osereka(m): 10:39am On Sep 15, 2007
nollywood
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by redsun(m): 5:48pm On Sep 15, 2007
Movies are concepts,the perception of reality and imagination is what scriptwriters and producers replicate in movies.Nigerian movies reflects the state of affairs in nigeria,political spiritual and social. Starwars movies reflects the writer's projection in to the unknown,what may be,based on insight.You are how you think.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 8:28pm On Sep 15, 2007
Really? u think?
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Betty605: 2:00am On Sep 16, 2007
OH MY GOSH!!!!. OK u know wat, u guyz shuld go 2 nollywood nd tell dem urself. (i have seen enuf yaps, ma eyes don blind finish), ahn ahn, dey are tryin now.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Globaltech: 4:50am On Sep 16, 2007
Intresting , I'll love to be party to this beautiful achievement . I pray that we shall be able to impact greatness into NIGERIAN movie /film industry and beyond as for me the passion is there. kiss cool We will love to see films like Ogboju-ode ninu igbo eledumare ,Ireke-onibudo,Lapade,ETC acted in english these films will make an epic movie any time if acted well also documentaries about cities towns and religious film that are well presented will be the bomb
Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 10 Best Vampires Ever (my Favourites) / Tstv Is Working Very Well With Strong Decoder. / The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.