Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,687 members, 7,813,276 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack (10153 Views)

Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better / Nigerian Films Are Now Becoming What You Can't Watch With Your Family These Days / What Nollywood Films Are Known For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by henry007(m): 5:00am On Sep 16, 2007
smiley wink cheesy grin angry sad shocked cool tongue embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by MP007(m): 7:58am On Sep 16, 2007
Love their christian movies sha, agbranla , apoti eri etc, love the spiritual concepts ,
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by jancci(f): 10:59am On Sep 16, 2007
KELLORAH!!!! is tha bomb, hope u make it in nollywood so we can see better movies, cos u sures mark out the stupidity of our writers n directors
lol, Good one, esp that [To God be the glory or the camera mans shadow].
perhaps the most annoying is how i hold on to d remote control at all times cos when the actors talk we never hear but when the theme music comes on its so f#@kin earspliiting, Bad RECORDING!!!!!AHHHHH, lmao, Niger too much.
we need a change n we need it fast cos most of ma pals in the U.S are fast becoming niger film addicts n it embarrases the crap outta me when shit like that happens.
and oh!!! less i forget, the way nigerian police manhandles people in d movies is scary and pple here dont like it. they call nigerians barbaric,
And as 4 u who says we shud support, so much 4 tryin to support ma country,
Ma guy/whoever u are, its thier job n it shud be done right so y people get sentimental about it and make smart remarks like, (oh support ur country, or do ur own movie) n all other bullshit is amazing n silly.
perhaps if a madical doctor made a mistake while operatin on ur loved one, and this lead to death, u will still vomit the same rubbish, shocked shocked
or if a lawyer dint defend u well n u ended up in jail, u'll be like huh the lawyer tried his/her best, NONSENSE TALK void of SENSES, tah!
ah ah pple. that is why it is called a profession so we [the intellectual nigerians] asking for perfection dont make us bad, it shows we care 4 nigers progress. get that straight. punk grin
IGNORANCE IS A DISEASE!!!!!!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by jancci(f): 11:25am On Sep 16, 2007
mr KOJIEWA, u are so wrong, make a good movie n people will buy it aii, see that movie games women play,
just by describing how good d movie was, and showing enthusiasm bout d movie, i indirectly publicised n advertised it ok, n sold over 500 copies of that movie to 23 of my dad co-workers.
so when people see what they want, they get it, esp nigerians. WE LIKE FINE THINGS~~~~THATS 4 SURE!!
gosh u sound wack, n its like saying oh let reknowned countries n manufacturing nations not process good food, exceptional cosmetic n perfumes and up to date gadgets cos they will spend too much money n pple wont buy it, try lookin out ur window n see how many nigerians are equipped wt the best n latest gadgets,n every fine thing that importers / life in general got 2 offer.
so plsssssssssssss HUSH!@
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by redsun(m): 12:25pm On Sep 16, 2007
We tend to expect so much for doing so little,give a little,get a little.We got to big up to live up.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by ayusco: 2:37pm On Sep 16, 2007
i have to say that i agree with most of the posts that naija films are for the most excruciatingly painful to watch. i think the main culprit is bad script writing. I mean am not asking them to make matrix like sci-fi movies just a simple drama with descent acting a good script will do. look at Dangerous Twins by Tade Ogidan thats the best acting i'v ever seen ramsey noauh do. anyhow 'e go beta na poor man prayer'. On a lighter note u also know u are watching a nollywood film when
1. when the sound track narrates what u can see with ur eyes happening in the film
2. when hanks anuku uses an american accent its a comedy or romance, if he uses a local accent its an action movie
3. when the actor/actress reconciles the action in the film to its title in one sentence e.g 'yes this is a GREAT CONSPIRACY'
4. when pete edochie uses animal metaphors
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by wham(m): 3:27pm On Sep 16, 2007
Nollywood movies are so cool, many of them are just a poorly replicated version of some western films like Lion King.

The scripts are so intriguing that you would immediately recognise the ingenuity of a sharp 3year old

The suspense is so mystical that you can predict the movie from the foolish soundtract that exposes the plot

The characters are so real that you begin to realise how unimaginative the stories truely are

E GO BETTER ONE DAY SHA
JUST LIKE THE MUSIC INDUSTRY, THE NAIJA MOVIE (I hate to call it by that silly name "Nollywood") INDUSTRY NEEDS A REVOLUTIONARY CHANGE
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by denex: 6:33pm On Sep 16, 2007
@andrewdg

did you mean to say 100%? I really don't agree that 80% of Nigerian Home Videos are of poor quality. I think they are all hopeless, save for a handful.

You can imagine a situation whereby a music video has four times the production effort of a home video.
A case where Nigerian music videos take months to plan, shoot and produce, while home videos take a month.
Where professionally trained Directors and Editors are engaged in making Nigerian music videos while nobody edits home videos, they just use cut and paste, transitions and that God forsaken House Of Macro.
The Soundtrack for music videos are professionally re-recorded in a studio, while in home videos, it's the crappy noise they record during shooting that they render back into the video and bring out as the final movie.
While during the shoot of music video shots are taken and re-taken several times before going to the next scene, in home video production their hope is to shoot every scene on the first take. I've personally been on a set where The Geckos where shooting a music video and they shot a single scene up to 30 times because of how difficult it was. Even when the actors got it perfectly right at last, they still re-took it 5 more times so that during editing they may choose the very best.

The home video industry will not improve till financial benefit starts coming to those whose movies are exceptionally good.

That stupid Africa Magic should begin to demand some level of picture and sound quality before they feature any movie and start paying royalties.

The current state of the Nigerian movie industry is a big joke. I'm very ashamed of it. Very few of the so-called actors can even act with a degree of realism. Most of the producers are ex-electronics dealers who don't see the need to buy scripts they make up their own stories themselves and allot those rib-cracking names; "Juliet Must Die, But Why?"

It's just sickening!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Seun(m): 7:57pm On Sep 16, 2007
Just because you don't like a movie doesn't imply that it's bad. Many people love these movies.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 8:20pm On Sep 16, 2007
There are just some people that cant take rubbish and settle for less. We cant spend money or time on bullsh!t

why do u think the nigerian movies arent shown in the prominent nigerian cinemas. 'cos the quality is a drag. The posters or preview is all u need and u have watched the movie
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by denex: 9:35pm On Sep 16, 2007
@Seun

just because many people love a movie doesn't mean it is good.

Please, I've seen Nigerian audiences captivated by absolute crap. We really need to change, and we must do it before the end of next year. Enough of this nonsense.

Meanwhile Seun, email address and phone number. I said it was urgent.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Seun(m): 9:52pm On Sep 16, 2007
Entertainment is 100% subjective. One man's great movie is another man's "rubbish".
It's silly to insist that a movie is "bad" just because you don't like it. Take it or leave it.

Hollywood films are generally more popular than Nollywood films because more money is
spent on them. And they can afford to spend more money on their movies because they
make a lot from the box office, dvd sales, tv, etc. Thanks to piracy, we get all these movies
for less than 10% of what they should cost. If not for the fact that you have been spoiled
by movie piracy, you would have realised that Nigerian movies give us more value for our
money because they are cheaper than hollywood movies. And they are cheaper precisely
because of the corners they cut. In other words, you get what you pay for!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by jancci(f): 10:52pm On Sep 16, 2007
Seun, i have read enuff to understand that u are a very misguided fellow.
"tank God to piracy my foot", dont u see hollywood or even bollywood pirated movies being hawked at every nook n cranny in nigeria,[b4 it even reaches d freakin box office] talk less of the whole world, so how has that then affected the quality of their work, stupid directors n writers be dining n wining wt production money at every international event n YOU are here spittin jargons,
go get a life, if sm people want the best they obviously deserve it, but i cant say that about u, or can i? BOOTLEG!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Iman3(m): 12:46am On Sep 17, 2007
The higher the rewards,the higher the quality of the product.That is one of the main things that seperates Hollywood from Nollywood.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Seun(m): 12:55am On Sep 17, 2007
Hmmm, jancci, I'm a pretty smart guy.

Yes, it is true that Hollywood films are pirated in Nigeria, but that doesn't stop them from making hundreds of millions of dollars from a single film within their country and in civilized nations with efective copyright laws. A Nigerian movie makes a few million naira at best. So how can a Nigerian movie be as polished as a big budget Hollywood movie? Answer: it can't.

Are we willing to buy enough original copies to offset the enormous production costs of Hollywood movies? Are we willing to pay more for each copy and buy instead of rent? If not, then we must continue to manage what we have. My only problem with the industry is that they appear not to be investing enough into their scripts. This is unfortunate because movie scripts are relatively cheap.

My point is that you cannot expect Nigerian producers to invest to much into movies you are probably going to pirate. You cannot expect them to compete with pirated Hollywood films on both price and quality. For the price to remain competitive with pirated films, quality must remain low. We can't eat our cakes and have it. Do you understand me now? Thanks.

The higher the rewards,the higher the quality of the product.That is one of the main things that seperates Hollywood from Nollywood.
I-man has said it all. I lack the gift of eloquence but I hope our point is clear now.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by jancci(f): 1:29am On Sep 17, 2007
@ seun, smart guy.lol
dont get it twisted, i never said it could match,
but what about story lines, do their brains also require a certain budget to produce a smart n concise story?
even if productions are poor n shit, a good story will be read, so lets start 4rm there.
technology aint the only thing that makes a world enjoyable n livable.
theatre arts are related dramas are acted everyday in the poorest of standards, but are still watched n appreciated never rebuffed as long as the audience follows the story, so y dont they start there?
thats my point, we cant be penny wise pound foolish.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Seun(m): 4:08am On Sep 17, 2007
Well, I've come to the conclusion that Nigerians can't write very well.
Maybe that's why movie producers can't get good scripts.
Our English teachers failed us. They didn't challenge us to be creative. sad

Abroad, there are so many struggling writers looking for a chance. In Nigeria, nothing.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by debosky(m): 4:13am On Sep 17, 2007
I doubt that greatly, Nigerians can write, but movie 'producers' are not interested in true writers, they just cik the popular actors/actresses at a given time, and then concoct a 'script' involving them based on the current rave of the moment - love story, 'epic', rituals, politicians, campus issues or whatever,

these guys are for the most part not interested in making good movies, but basically want to make money. There are some well written scripts, but those are usually plagiarized and poorer versions produced multiple times afterwards if the first one sells.

By the way, its not really the job of English teachers to teach creativity, it comes from the heart. If anyone is seriously interested in writing scripts, he/she should check out the dating section of nairaland, some of those stories dont even need much scripting. They are bestsellers all on their own grin grin
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by drkchoclit(f): 5:01am On Sep 17, 2007
debosky:

I doubt that greatly, Nigerians can write, but movie 'producers' are not interested in true writers, they just cik the popular actors/actresses at a given time, and then concoct a 'script' involving them based on the current rave of the moment - love story, 'epic', rituals, politicians, campus issues or whatever,

these guys are for the most part not interested in making good movies, but basically want to make money. There are some well written scripts, but those are usually plagiarized and poorer versions produced multiple times afterwards if the first one sells.

By the way, its not really the job of English teachers to teach creativity, it comes from the heart. If anyone is seriously interested in writing scripts, he/she should check out the dating section of nairaland, some of those stories don't even need much scripting. They are bestsellers all on their own grin grin

ROTFL, at the dating section comment.

As to English teachers teaching creativity, maybe not. But I will say it was my English teachers that told me that I had creative writing talent, and encouraged me in that.

In my humble opinion, maybe creative writing isn't encouraged, because in Nigeria, it's not seen as a viable skill.
There simply isn't money by and large to be made in the arts and entertainment, like the US, so to encourage a child in creative writing wouldn't be wise.

Am I right or wrong on this?

Having said that though, it's true that some talents can't be taught, one is blessed with it or not. On the other hand, talent has to be developed and refined, or it dies. English teachers can help with development and refinement.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 6:04am On Sep 17, 2007
I hv read so much rubbish in my day. all these excuses to surport the messed up nigerian directors and producers?

how about the musicians in naija that spend so much in making videos?

do the movie producers need so very much money to come up with good scripting?

most of them illiterates coming up with bulsh!t and y'all say it's cos of money?

they will continue to rot in quality and as the %age of illiterates in nigeria reduce, so will their audience in direct proportion.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by denex: 8:11am On Sep 17, 2007
@debosky

you just told it the way it was. How much will it cost to use Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro to edit their movies for once?

I was disgusted one day when I saw Zack Amata discussing and given points and tips on editing with one of the best video editing software to one of the best music video editors in Nigeria.

I was angry because it just went to show that they know how things are meant to be yet refuse to do the right thing.

Do you know how easy it is to make genuine looking blood? Yet they will continue to mix that rubbish that looks like expired wine.

If they don't have money, then they should stop shooting expensive Helicopter scenes and Limo scenes that don't make sense. To rent a chopper for an hour for shooting a movie cost more than N350,000. Why do they use it when they can't even rent a decent High Definition camera for N20,000.

All the musicians that are making good quality videos, are they using their State budget to do it?

And please let's stop singing this piracy song. It is not profitable to pirate Nigerian Home videos. Let's stop jumping on a bandwagon which we know nothing about. I dare you to pick up and Video CD in any home or video club and trace it to its origin. It will lead you to the original company.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by redsun(m): 9:25am On Sep 17, 2007
The best screen play nigeria has ever had is wants to be a millionaire,think like a millionaire by the late Ken Saro Wiwa,more realistic and motivational rather than the gospel and fettish productions that we have today as movies in nigeria, which actually reflect the mental state of the country,any thing outside this,is just 19 runs or thieving politicians which is good if well presented.We will get there in generations to come,like i said before,people are how they think,your reasoning reflects in your every day life. You can't sow okro to reap yam.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by mconqueror(m): 10:15am On Sep 17, 2007
Before now,I thought I am just being critical

about these IQ insulting shams these hungry producers call naija movies.

Am really impressed by these thread of outbursts!

Though as noted by some honorable members of this parliarment,

we still thankfully have about 2% classy movies and producers we can be

very proud of anywhere in the world!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by krisbobo(m): 1:24pm On Sep 17, 2007
@seun
Nigerians can't write very well? You miss am bro shocked shocked shocked
How come Nigerians are winning all the awards in fiction. The Truth is that those who have at least some talent have been corrupted by the 'man must wack' mentality. Others are writing well for other developmental and short films but refuse to write for nollywood. Other write for TV.

@denex

HD cameras? bro, they 2 for 5 kobo in naija now!! the problem is not the equipment. those cameras are used to record weddings and funerals in naija now!! the problem is that those videographers who call themselves cinematographers cannot put the camera to good use. they cant friggin us edit well!!!!!

@ who talked about Adobe premiere and Final cut pro?

Final cut is still scarce but it is very available in naija. As for Adobe Premiere, I think the CD is N150 at computer village!!
see, the problem again is not the equipment or software but the users!! there are few, very few, good film editors in naija. the others are basically 'cut and paste experts' who do not have the foggiest idea about film editing and are too arrogant to learn.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by jancci(f): 10:06pm On Sep 17, 2007
@ seun~
tanx 4 understanding my POV, wt that i rest my case n bid u farewell.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Seun(m): 10:14pm On Sep 17, 2007
How come Nigerians are winning all the awards in fiction.
Nigerians at home don't win any awards in fiction. Only Nigerians who have been abroad for decades do.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by krisbobo(m): 12:39am On Sep 18, 2007
@seun
wrong again seun. Many Nigerians at home have won awards in fiction. Helon habila won the Caine Prize from home. There are many more. It is true that most major awards are won by Nigerians abroad but that's not because they are better writers or more talented; it's largely because they are exposed to better structures that enable good writings to thrive. one of such structures is editing. there's a dearth of good book editors in Nigeria and in writing, as it is true of every art form, talent alone is never enough. there's something quality editing brings to a book and sadly, many of our home based writers lack that support. CORA has organized a book editors workshop to redress this situation and the second editionn of that workshop will come up in November.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 12:38pm On Sep 18, 2007
such confusion resting on contradiction!

nigerian movies are terrible period!!!!

there are no excuse but clowns that still say they are very good!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by mendax: 2:37pm On Sep 18, 2007
@henry007,
i think u are very wrong by saying bollywood movies are only songs.

probably u shuld watch one or two indian movies so dat u wuld hav a rethink. from story lines to quality of produxn ur nolly movies cant compete. and anyway who said u are rated 3rd in quality of films. i think nollywud movies are only 3rd in number of films turned out. but in terms of quality and produxn, i guess u hav 2 check ur sources & statitistics again.

all da same i feel alot of work has 2 be done in da nolly industry
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Awo4(m): 2:51pm On Sep 18, 2007
From way back, majority Indian movie producers/writers have made music a part of their film culture. That hasn't in anyway affected the quality of their film-makingand story-telling. In fact, they're getting better at it everyday. Whoever thinks otherwise should try and get his/her facts right.
The major problem we have here is the fact that most of our so-called movie producers/directors lack the passion for what they do and are too hasty to churn out movies. This has an adverse effect on the quality of our movies.
They just want to make quick bucks, Chikena!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by osereka(m): 4:29pm On Sep 18, 2007
I don't watch it
because i dont like it
bros JUST WATCH PREMIER LEAGUE
If you wan watch naija movies, watch our national assembly live
you will be interested!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by denex: 9:36pm On Sep 18, 2007
Nigerian Home Videos have no single shred of quality.

If not anything at all, they should edit the movies rather than simple engaging in cut and paste.
They should re-record audio in a professional studio rather than just go ahead and use the saw audio captured during principal photography. IT SOUNDS TERRIBLE!

And I hope I won't be asking too much if I also ask them to do away with "To God Be The Glory" because there's nothing glorious about those movies, and besides, we're getting tired of that same old line.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 10 Best Vampires Ever (my Favourites) / Tstv Is Working Very Well With Strong Decoder. / The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.