Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,757 members, 7,813,509 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack (10155 Views)

Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better / Nigerian Films Are Now Becoming What You Can't Watch With Your Family These Days / What Nollywood Films Are Known For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by katherinae(f): 11:10pm On Sep 20, 2007
i think u got ur percentages mixed up. 99% of nigerina movies are wack. but damn they are like a guilty pleasure. u watch them with the door locked.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by anusule(m): 4:15pm On Sep 21, 2007
yea real wack except for tunde kelani'sn sm other popular guyz
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 10:50pm On Sep 22, 2007
bollywood is a lot better cos they have better stories, twists and cinematography is cool.

nollywood is a disgrace compared
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by mekaboy(m): 3:10pm On Sep 23, 2007
i guess they are in a hurry to sell. so they write whatever , act and sell,
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Seun(m): 4:22pm On Sep 23, 2007
bollywood is a lot better because they have better stories, twists and cinematography is cool.
Better stories? Don't make me laugh! They have better music and more colorful sets; that's it!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by moondust(m): 1:47pm On Sep 25, 2007
I don't know crap about bollywood, but Nollywood sure does suck. the day it'll stop being wack is the day they stop the trend of unnecessary sequels to every single movie
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 11:11pm On Sep 25, 2007
@ Seun

Even someone with down syndrome knows that bollywood stories are more interesting and sofisticated than nollywood drama stories. I never said bollywood have good stories. I said they have 'better''stories.

That, in english, means there is comparisons and as far as this thread is concerned, it is between nollywood and bollywood and the latter takes it as we know.

maybe u are supporting nollywood because u want to be into it. If it pleases u, come up with the kinds of sh!t they do and u know what will follow: a thread that will crucify it right here grin
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 11:27pm On Sep 25, 2007
Have u guys seen south african plays or TV dramas? they are really apealing! They dont make a noise and go 'sollywood'. but they are good. We release 10 outrageously terrible excuse for a drama every week and get praised as setting record by some other clowns who wont highlight the fact that the record is also that

99% of them all is wack
86% of them share the same story line
93% of them share the same wack cast
83% of them done with camcorders
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 11:50pm On Sep 25, 2007
so n one should say 80% of home video is wack cos about 94% is!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Yetunday(f): 12:03pm On Sep 28, 2007
Have posted this before though not on this tipoc but I guess it is relevant here too.It's a mail I got from a friend.:

Lessons from Nollywood (Nigerian Movies)

THINGS WE'VE LEARNT FROM NOLLYWOOD .

1 . Every problem you have is spiritual.
2. In every romance movie, someone must die.
3. It is possible to hit a person without actually touching them!
4. Anyone who gets hit by a car dies immediately.
5. Poisoned food always tastes better.
6. The best way to make money is by visiting a 'Babalawo' / joining a cult sleeping with rich men.
7. One of a pair of twins (identical or not) is born evil.
8. There is never an end to your suffering, except death!
9. With a pastor ,  all things are possible.
10. A movie can be titled anything,  such as:
*The boy is mine,
* Face me, I face you
*Two rats,
*Spanner,
*Calculator,
*Igala,
*Ijele,
*Igodo,
*Igudu,
*Shigidi,
*Eran Iya Oshogbo ,
*Ta longbe mu.
11. A movie has not been made if at least one actor/actress has not- 'shelled', twisted his/her lips to speak wrong phonetics'.
12. You are in love,  you want to take your girl out, the best place you take her to is,
*Mr. Biggs/Tantalizers: where you'll most probably see an ex while feeding each other.
*The beach: where it is imperative that you ride a donkey and carry her playfully.
*Or the best: take her to buy some new ugly clothes.
13. An Igbo movie has been made if ,
* You visit a 'Babalawo'
* A fleet of cars is shown off at regular intervals for a total of half of the movie time.
* Kanayo 'O' Kanayo is in the movie. Pete Edochie is also there too!
* To get rich it is mandatory you join a cult
14. Gun shots and knock-outs sound the same!
15. Sometimes the title has absolutely nothing to do with the movie and other times, once you read the title and see the poster you know it all!!! (Also the soundtrack gives you a headache because it just narrates the whole story repeatedly - so much for suspense and intrigue!)
16. A love story has not been produced if it does not have one or two of the following actresses-
* Stella Damasus
* Stephanie Okereke
* Genevieve Nnaji
* Omotola Jalade
* Rita Dominic
17. The police are extremely 'efficient' unlike their counterparts in real life.
18. An actress can wear the same hairdo for more than a year and even in longer flashbacks.
19. It is permissible to wear very dark shades at night!
20. When you are shot in the chest, it really doesn't matter; your head will be bandaged! Same for your legs!
21. When advertising a movie, you really should shout because,  people are deaf?
22. When you are extremely poor, you will still be able to afford-a beautiful house, very good furniture, T.V., nice clothes, but you won't be able to send your kids to school.
23. Most especially in Yoruba movies, your gateman must be inefficient and comical. He MUST dress like a freak, be rude to all your visitors and never mind his business.
24. the bad guy always dies or gets caught by none other than the police- LOL!!!!
25. At the end of a three hour movie you’ll be reminded that THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING…WATCH OUT FOR PART 2!
26. No matter the type of movie…TO GOD BE THE GLORY is always at the end!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by nana(f): 12:13pm On Sep 28, 2007
Yetunde,Why now? U got me laughing wiv ur post.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Yetunday(f): 11:52am On Oct 01, 2007
@ Nana, That's the essence of the post. Wont hesitate to post new "jokes" about our Nollywood.Cheers
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Bamiprof(m): 7:59am On Oct 03, 2007
Their new scope now 2 in 1 is a very big fraud, where 2 disc could last for 80mins the combined disc only last for 44mins so you see movies now having part 3.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by eezzy(f): 11:32am On Oct 08, 2007
I hardly think its fair comparing Nollywood with Holly and Bolly woods the two
have been around for donkey years, learnt through many mistakes and corrected them.

i believe Nollywood is now in the process of learning and correcting. Their movies may
be wack, but we can relate to most of the story lines, which is the beauty of these movies.
If you want real comparison, then compare to rest of Africa and am sure Nollywood beats them
all YES even S.A cannot stand up to Naija movies. wink
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by djcrucifix(m): 4:51pm On Oct 08, 2007
80%?, AMEN TO THAT
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Ifeniyi22(m): 5:21pm On Oct 13, 2007
@ Yetunday
I think you deserve an award.That was brilliant.lets get the percentage right, it definitely cant be 80%. 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999% would be a very fair deal.Wish I could round it up to 100 per cent and get it over with but the truth must be said, there has been a few nice movies over the years from talented producers such as Tunde Kelani, Ogidan.etc (The list isn't that long, pls don't get it twisted)
I'll probably continue from where 'Yetunday' stopped.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Seun(m): 7:07am On Oct 14, 2007
Most Hollywood movies, are quack, too. Expensive quack.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 5:18am On Oct 16, 2007
that's talking of like 0.002%
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Yetunday(f): 7:01pm On Oct 16, 2007
@Ifeniyi22, thanks a bunch
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by romeo(m): 5:36am On Oct 17, 2007
Tunde Kelani is who? and can we know the movies he produced? i can sense a nobody being hyped!!
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by ritchboy(m): 10:27am On Oct 17, 2007
Nigeria as a country is wack,so wat do u expect of the industries?
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 8:16pm On Oct 18, 2007
hey richtboi, dont take it that far and weigh ur words. Nigeria as a country aint wack as u propose. swallow those words quickly! Like the music industry is doing well. there are some songs by nigerians that will topple that of a prominent artistes on the same genre in other established countries. so dont generalize.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by jagunlabi(m): 5:43pm On Oct 20, 2007
They scream and yell like bloody banshees,in every scene.My poor ears, undecided
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 8:40pm On Oct 20, 2007
Tell me about it!

And someone will tell me they are learning. I director still remains wack after over 15years of release hundreds of movies?

A tree that doesnt bring forth fruit should be brought down innit??

U cant be at the same spot as regards storyline, cinematography etcin over 15years and say u r learning! and puhhhleeezzzzee they dont hold a candle to south african filming; do your home work
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by concrete: 5:38pm On Oct 21, 2007
though we still have a long way to go, i've seen recent improvements. i loved the movie "total war" (though it's not yet complete)
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by bibiking1(m): 9:08pm On Oct 21, 2007
Only jobless spinsters and mentally confused males would sit down to watch any Nigerian film wholeheartedly
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by naijadiva2(f): 10:44pm On Oct 21, 2007
concrete:

though we still have a long way to go, i've seen recent improvements. i loved the movie "total war" (though it's not yet complete)

i've seen some improvement also. their story lines are getting better, and the picture quality as well is getting better. however i'm not a fan of most nigerian actors/actresses because of their accents. i like actors that use the real nigerian accent cuz it brings more meaning to the movie. i can't stand it when they try to talk american or european or when they try to protray what they think an american/european acts like. thats' why i like nkem owoh cuz his movies are based on the nigerian culture. you don't see him trying to speak through his nose. he acts the way he believe a typical nigerian acts.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by Seun(m): 10:52pm On Oct 21, 2007
Which recent ones have you watched that are very good?

Picture quality getting better is because good DV cameras are becoming so cheap. wink
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by naijadiva2(f): 11:11pm On Oct 21, 2007
the one's made in america. they have some nigerian base directors here and they know how to make the movie meaningful, but only that, just in general the ones that are more recent seem to be a lot better.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 9:52pm On Oct 23, 2007
i'm still not impressed sorry.

if the music industry can get this established as to follow trend side by side, these guys should b ashamed what they come up with. using rejected DV cameras till now for shooting movies? damn, that's creepy.
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by janami(f): 10:04pm On Oct 23, 2007
i see a replay of plots and stories in the nollywood films today. tsome stories r good, but the script writers just spoil the whole thing. the problem is that they find it difficult to let new blood in. like me i have got great movie stories lined up, but then, where are the producers?
Re: 80% Of Nollywood Films Are Wack by cabali(m): 11:25pm On Oct 24, 2007
Take ur nice stories some place else nollywood isnt the direction to face at all except ur story is based on juju, cult, demonic oppression and all that. anything intellectual or IQ enhancing, u must be kidding going to those clowns

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 10 Best Vampires Ever (my Favourites) / The Wild Wild East- The Brigandry In The Eastern Nigeria Film Industry / Tstv Is Working Very Well With Strong Decoder.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.