Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,806 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place - Events (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place (19159 Views)

Funerals Have Taken A New Dimension In The East / Photos: Drama As Bride’s Father Cancels Wedding On D-day In Ibadan / Drama As Bride's Father Cancels Wedding On D-day In Ibadan (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 2:43pm On Sep 15, 2023
lexy2014:

That's not what I asked you.

How did u come by this?

By asking a basic simple question :

Is a couple officially married while they haven't concluded the last marriage rite?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Nuheights(m): 2:44pm On Sep 15, 2023
As far as our culture is concerned:
Church wedding without traditional marriage is invalid.
Traditional marriage without church wedding is very valid.

3 Likes

Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by lexy2014: 2:44pm On Sep 15, 2023
Fiscus105:

I will advise you to read and this time read to understand, purge urself from sentiment.

Where in this post was your question not answered?

Sageez:

I am sorry I disagree with you. The man is not a fool, infact, he is right. I am a Christian. The church doesn't have the right to pronounce them man and wife, what they do is marriage blessing.

The person who has the right to do so is the bride's father. He is the one to hand over his daughter to the man and pronounce them man and wife I.e after he must have completed the traditional rights. Please be careful how you use the word 'fool'

Thanks
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by lexy2014: 2:46pm On Sep 15, 2023
TenQ:

By asking a basic simple question :

Is a couple officially married while they haven't concluded the last marriage rite?

In asking that question, how did u come by this?

If traditional wedding is their last marriage rites, yes!
If the marriage rites include a church wedding, I then the church ceremony becomes the last marriage rite
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 2:57pm On Sep 15, 2023
lexy2014:

In asking that question, how did u come by this?

The question is how I came by it.

Is a marriage official while the last marriage rite has not been done?

It is a simple question!

modified!
Why did this couple come to the priest when they knew they were already husband and wife?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 3:02pm On Sep 15, 2023
Nuheights:
As far as our culture is concerned:
Church wedding without traditional marriage is invalid.
Traditional marriage without church wedding is very valid.
God recognises all kinds of marriage rites for a wedding
1. Traditional Wedding
2. Civil or Court wedding
3. Church Wedding
4. Mosque wedding

Is there any good reason why you think an already married people should get married AGAIN?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by officialJP(m): 3:02pm On Sep 15, 2023
superlanny:
This country and cruise sef, you agreed for your daughter to be wedded in a church and yet claim to be the one to declare them husband and wife.

Why he no carry them go shrine or better still proceed to confirm them in his living room, some people are just mentally unbalanced and that's not a suprise in this country.
for your mind now you are making sense, Ode ni e, slave
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by lexy2014: 3:03pm On Sep 15, 2023
TenQ:

The question is how I came by it.

Is a marriage official while the last marriage rite has not been done?

It is a simple question!

And In asking that question, how did u come by this?

If the marriage rites include a church wedding, I then the church ceremony becomes the last marriage rite
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 3:05pm On Sep 15, 2023
lexy2014:

And In asking that question, how did u come by this?

You will understand the purpose if you can only answer this question

Why did this couple come to the priest when they knew they were already husband and wife?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Matrix137(m): 3:07pm On Sep 15, 2023
TenQ:

What is a marriage/wedding rite?

Can a person legally be said to have officially married his wife when the wedding rites are yet to be concluded?
And I'm telling you that paying the bride price to the girls parents is sufficient enough than any rite or whatever. As long as there is an agreement from all the parties involved.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by NairaMaster1(m): 3:10pm On Sep 15, 2023
OnyeFely:
I am never a believer of church wedding, the only marriage ceremony I believe is the TRADITIONAL, where the parents bless their children.

Even the pastor knows
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by NairaMaster1(m): 3:12pm On Sep 15, 2023
post=125806663:

You are entitled to your opinion most definitely.
So are others who don't believe what you believe in.

Have you ever seen a church wedding conducted without or before church wedding?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by lexy2014: 3:12pm On Sep 15, 2023
TenQ:

You will understand the purpose if you can only answer this question

You are yet to answer my question.

In asking that question you say u asked, how did that lead to the following conclusions?

Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by FashionCookie(f): 3:15pm On Sep 15, 2023
lexy2014:

God bless u. All na for show. Unfortunately, most ladies are not content with home or traditional wedding. They feel their wedding isn't complete unless they wear wedding gown. Just to make them happy, everyone tries to play along
Seriously it's annoying most times.
After the Nigerian traditional rites(which is most important...for me o), they'll still go and be doing oyibo traditional marrige(dey deceive themselves bcus it's called church wedding)
Them no dey pray for traditional marriage?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 3:17pm On Sep 15, 2023
lexy2014:

You are yet to answer my question.

In asking that question you say u asked, how did that lead to the following conclusions?

I have answered your question several times but you seem not to comprehend.

What did they come to do before the priest?
Was it for their wedding?

If it is wedding, I aren't they already married ?

What did they tell the priest as the purpose of their coming to him?

Does their marriage/wedding rite include church wedding?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 3:19pm On Sep 15, 2023
Matrix137:
And I'm telling you that paying the bride price to the girls parents is sufficient enough than any rite or whatever. As long as there is an agreement from all the parties involved.
I agree that paying the bride price to the parent is sufficient only if that is their last marriage rite.

Why did they go to the priest when they know that they are already married?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by lexy2014: 3:19pm On Sep 15, 2023
TenQ:

I have answered your question several times but you seem not to comprehend.

What did they come to do before the priest?

If it is wedding, I aren't they already married ?

What did they tell the priest as the purpose of their coming to him?

Does their marriage/wedding rite include church wedding?

You are yet to answer my question. You claim that u asked a question.

In asking that question you say u asked, how did that question lead to the following conclusions?

Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Matrix137(m): 3:24pm On Sep 15, 2023
TenQ:

I agree that paying the bride price to the parent is sufficient only if that is their last marriage rite.

Why did they go to the priest when they know that they are already married?
My point is that it's not compulsory. What matters most is the marriage itself and not the wedding.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 3:44pm On Sep 15, 2023
Matrix137:
My point is that it's not compulsory. What matters most is the marriage itself and not the wedding.
Marriage is the life of a couple after their wedding!

If traditional wedding is the last wedding rite of a couple, they have no business with any priest for another wedding. For what purpose?
Another wedding!?

Do you think traditionally married couple should go to the church to perform another wedding ceremony?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 3:56pm On Sep 15, 2023
lexy2014:

You are yet to answer my question. You claim that u asked a question.

In asking that question you say u asked, how did that question lead to the following conclusions?

You are feigning dumb, I think.

Let me walk you through it like I would do a child.

1. If traditional wedding is their last marriage rites, yes!
Meaning that God respects traditional wedding as it is a valid wedding ceremony that ushers a couple into their marriage life.

2. If the marriage rites include a church wedding, then the church ceremony becomes the last marriage rite
a. If the traditional wedding is the last wedding rites of a couple, they then they are already married and the priest cannot marry an already married couple else it's a caricature needless ceremony.
b. If traditional wedding is NOT the couples last marriage rite, then the church wedding becomes their last wedding rites as the traditional wedding ceremonies are just part of their requirement for completing their marriage rites.
This mean that their traditional wedding ceremony has not conferred on them married status until they stand before the priest.

This said!
The following questions unravel both truth and deceit

1. What did they come to do before the priest?

2. If it is wedding, I aren't they already married ?

3. What did they tell the priest as the purpose of their coming to him?

4. Does the couple's marriage/wedding rite include a church wedding ceremony?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Matrix137(m): 3:57pm On Sep 15, 2023
TenQ:

Marriage is the life of a couple after their wedding!

If traditional wedding is the last wedding rite of a couple, they have no business with any priest for another wedding. For what purpose?
Another wedding!?

Do you think traditionally married couple should go to the church to perform another wedding ceremony?
According to the Bible, Bride price and agreement of parties involved is the final rite for any intending couple. Wedding (traditional or white) is just mere formalities even court wedding sef.

To start with, are you even a Christian?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by NOwazobia: 4:00pm On Sep 15, 2023
The father is very correct.

This is the kind of thing you see when you wan form open eye go do the same marriage twice, but in different apparel.

The traditional marriage already make them husband and wife.

The wedding is all formality, and contradiction.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by GistFullGround: 4:00pm On Sep 15, 2023
African traditions are the best. If I were he, I would havevremained adamant!
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by lexy2014: 4:02pm On Sep 15, 2023
TenQ:

Meaning that God respects traditional wedding as it is a valid wedding ceremony that ushers a couple into their marriage life.

2. If the marriage rites include a church wedding, then the church ceremony becomes the last marriage rite
a. If the traditional wedding is the last wedding rites of a couple, they then they are already married and the priest cannot marry an already married couple else it's a caricature needless ceremony.
b. If traditional wedding is NOT the couples last marriage rite, then the church wedding becomes their last wedding rites as the traditional wedding ceremonies are just part of their requirement for completing their marriage rites.
This mean that their traditional wedding ceremony has not conferred on them married status until they stand before the priest.

The question still persists. How did you come by these conclusions?

Where did you get the above from?

Where is theory written as the universally accepted way of determining anything in a wedding?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by ibinaboonline: 4:03pm On Sep 15, 2023
Have been wondering if it's the same Helen Ukpabio until I saw the picture. God bless the woman of God. Anyway, that papa just wants to avoid problems by giving in. The old man is right. What they're doing there in church is just ceremonial. As a Christian, do you want to know when you're married? Do you really want to know? Here's the answer plain and stack in the Bible:

1 Corinthians 6:16-19 The Passion Translation (TPT)

Aren't you aware of the fact that when anyone sleeps with a prostitute he becomes a part of her, and she becomes a part of him? For it has been declared: The two become a single body. But the one who joins himself to the Lord is mingled into one spirit with him.

In other words, you are married to someone you have sex with. Like it or not, that's the Bible truth.

1 Like

Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by NOwazobia: 4:03pm On Sep 15, 2023
superlanny:
This country and cruise sef, you agreed for your daughter to be wedded in a church and yet claim to be the one to declare them husband and wife.

Why he no carry them go shrine or better still proceed to confirm them in his living room, some people are just mentally unbalanced and that's not a suprise in this country.
You agreed is an overstatement because the choice of a wedding is usually taken by the husband and wife.

The father may just be following the daughter's choices, and the father may not even be a member of the church, or even a christian.

Na parents right to give their daughters out in marriage, not a call of a priest.

1 Like

Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 4:06pm On Sep 15, 2023
Matrix137:
According to the Bible, Bride price and agreement of parties involved is the final rite for any intending couple. Wedding (traditional or white) is just mere formalities even court wedding sef.

To start with, are you even a Christian?
You seem not to comprehend this simple truth
1. Traditional Wedding is a valid kind of wedding.
2. If the traditional wedding ceremony is the final wedding rite of a couple, they then they have no business in the church for a second wedding.
3. A couple who's final wedding rites is the traditional wedding ceremony can come for church blessing (not marriage) for they are already married.
4. For couple who want to get married in the church , and the traditional wedding thus becomes just part of their wedding rites which culminates with the church ceremony.

Do you support a reverse of this
1. A couple gets married in the church (but it is considered as not the final wedding rite as they've not paid the dowry)
2. The couple concludes their wedding rites by doing the traditional wedding with dowry paid and other traditional requirements done.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by TenQ: 4:11pm On Sep 15, 2023
lexy2014:

The question still persists. How did you come by these conclusions?

Where is theory written as the universally accepted way of determining anything in a wedding?
You are beyond redemption sir!

If you cannot explicitly answer my simple questions, please you may not be intellectually matured for further engagement.

Why should a couple have a second wedding if their first wedding is agreed to be valid?

Please if you can't answer this, I then don't bother.. just ignore it

Is there a law which says traditional wedding is the only valid wedding?
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by NOwazobia: 4:11pm On Sep 15, 2023
Fiscus105:
That father is a foolish plus stark illiterate.

Why taking daughter to church since you don't ready to abide by simple rule of govt (not even church).

It's govt that can declare two persons married, not even church, and at that particular time, govt has ceded such power to church.

Even if not, why did he want to ruin the day of his joy because of irrelevant issue.
Wedding is not the father's call, it usually a decision taken by the couples.

The father is just honoring the daughter's wish, and may not even be a member of the church, and equally may not be a christian.

The pastor is the foolish one here, because it is not her place to declare them husband and wife.

Shey na she born the pikin.

The father is in his right and very correct.

The pastor over step, and doesn't understand the concept of marriage.

The father doesn't want to ruin the marriage that is why he gave in to the pastor. That man was ready to go ballistic.

... and the Olodo members were foolishly laughing. pathetic 🤦🏽‍♂️

1 Like

Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by ogascomax: 4:14pm On Sep 15, 2023
Let me make a correction here. White wedding is not the same as church wedding. It's just a misconception by people referring Christian wedding or church wedding as white. Since you are a Christian you should be joined together by a priest or pastor etc before the presence of God. You must understand that you are a Christian first before anything. I am talking to Christians here not pagans or church goers. Even Jesus had to say that ' they have made the word of God of no effect because of their tradition's. Any tradition that opposes God's word is demonic. Church wedding does not stop payment of dowry. Church wedding is not about wearing gowns and suits. Church wedding is people been joined together irrespective of their dresses.
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by Matrix137(m): 4:16pm On Sep 15, 2023
TenQ:

You seem not to comprehend this simple truth
1. Traditional Wedding is a valid kind of wedding.
2. If the traditional wedding ceremony is the final wedding rite of a couple, they then they have no business in the church for a second wedding.
3. A couple who's final wedding rites is the traditional wedding ceremony can come for church blessing (not marriage) for they are already married.
4. For couple who want to get married in the church , and the traditional wedding thus becomes just part of their wedding rites which culminates with the church ceremony.

Do you support a reverse of this
1. A couple gets married in the church (but it is considered as not the final wedding rite as they've not paid the dowry)
2. The couple concludes their wedding rites by doing the traditional wedding with dowry paid and other traditional requirements done.

(1) Valid in what sense, to man or to God?

(2) It all boils down to preferences and family orientation and enlightenment.

(3) What if they don't do any of those, and just paid only dowry, is the marriage invalid in God's eye ( not society here)

(4) check no 3 my submission

Now to second paragraph

(1) dowry has to be paid for the marriage to be valid in God's eyes. Not wedding of any type

(2) Valid in God's eyes
Re: Cleric, Bride’s Father Disagree On Who Should Declare Marriage Has Taken Place by lexy2014: 4:16pm On Sep 15, 2023
TenQ:

You are beyond redemption sir!

If you cannot explicitly answer my simple questions, please you may not be intellectually matured for further engagement.

Why should a couple have a second wedding if their first wedding is agreed to be valid?

Please if you can't answer this, I then don't bother.. just ignore it

TenQ:

How come that with all your "intellectual maturity" you can't answer the following?

The question still persists. How did you come by your conclusions above?

Where is your theory written as the universally accepted way of determining anything in a wedding?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Partying Is Ruining Some Nigerians Financially / See Photos From A Nairalander's Traditional Wedding / Old Boys And Girl Of Primary Schools In PH Reunites.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.