Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,396 members, 7,830,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria (21950 Views)

An Amazing Beachfront Estate With Title Documentation C Of O +2348167350289 / Dry Land With Title Document At Abraham Adesanya / Land Behind Shoprite Sangotedo Ajah @N5m Promo(Royal Flex Estate With Title) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by RosyIsBlessed: 9:10am On Nov 12, 2023
Seriously
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:23am On Nov 12, 2023
tishbite42:

I'm from Asaba and I lost about 10 grand uncles in that Asaba Massacre. Who would marry the women they were supposed to marry in a society that is big on monogamy.
I lost my Mom nine years ago today and my Dad is still unmarried. Tomorrow, you might still blame that woman for buying property in the name of such a loyal man.
I'm not denying that AlaIgbo is not a patriarchal society but the stats doesn't tell the whole story.
Christianity and the Biafran War changed many things for the Igbos.
I can't get married until I'm sure of my capability and capacity to carry a family of at least 4 people including myself but an average Northerner can dabble into that without counting the cost. In fact, they do mass weddings there. How can a man who can't afford a decent wedding ceremony cater for his family?
The talk is long, on and on.
Their wedding ceremony is quite cheap. 150k ceremony, 50k dowry & ring. just one ceremony. Others do like 3 to 4 different ceremonies amounting to over 2m
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by Father254: 9:35am On Nov 12, 2023
PHIPEX:
There is a close relationship between this stats and Divorce rate. The higher the divorce rate, the higher the potential for a woman to own a property IN HER OWN NAME. Why should my wife own a property in her own name if we are happily married, the least is co-ownership of property between the husband and the wife.

It also relates to the high rate of polygamy, women have higher tendency to own property in their own name if the husband is polygamous. In that case each wife tries to secure the future of their own children. Statistically, South East is least in polygamy in Nigeria because of the influence of Christianity, so their women will be the least in owning landed property in their own names.

Wisdom full your head.
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by CaptainAyub: 9:58am On Nov 12, 2023
omenka:
But you should have known this long ago. By their culture, women have no rights to inheritance. So this doesn't in any way come as a surprise.
If not that you’re a never-do-well 47yrs old e-hooligan,your mama for no de buy property in her name.
Na your name she go de use
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by Smartguyboy(m): 10:03am On Nov 12, 2023
vickydevoka:

If he refuses court wedding what will you do

The man should be the one to bring the idea πŸ’‘ of court wedding.
Like me I told my wife I want court wedding.
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by BreconHills(m): 10:07am On Nov 12, 2023
Okwyjesus:

SE has high regard fir me in matrimonial homes. So men owns property and pass it to sons. Women buy in their sons name or Co own with their hubby.

So the girl child is a second class child? Just asking based on what you wrote above. Even in biblical times women bought property from their own money Proverbs 31:16-18. If descended from the Jews surely the SE should rank high in womens property titles. Or are there different strands of Jewish thinking?

1 Like

Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by YoshihideSuga: 10:11am On Nov 12, 2023
tamdun:

The bolded isn't true,divorce rate in North is low compare to South

That's not true. The north has the highest divorce rates in Nigeria. It's easier to divorce in Islam than Christianity.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by YoshihideSuga: 10:17am On Nov 12, 2023
yommen:

There are more Christians in SW. The reason you still manage to have more women own properties is because the woman hustle and make their money to acquire properties. distribution company in SW. In many cases, it is even the husbands that connects such houses for rent on behalf of their wives with the wife's documents.

That's not ENTIRELY TRUE in whatever way. The south east has the highest number of Christians in Nigeria. In fact, there are more Christians in the north than south west. After the south east, the south south comes next in Christianity. Apart from Ekiti and maybe Ondo, mention the predominantly Christian state in the south west?
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by Localemperor: 10:25am On Nov 12, 2023
VEHINTOLAR:

The only known "Warrior" in Igbo land is that fictional character in Chinua Achebe's play -Things Fall Apart,so what's this chestbeating all about,man ? Even those whose territories extended far beyond the shores of today's Nigeria are not even bragging or making any noise about it,why is it always you Igbo people ?! Every little thing,you guys will just come out from your holes and start spewing gibberish !

As far as this data is concerned,take it or leave it,it shows,very clearly,that women in Igbo land are economically very weak and are not in the same league as their counterparts from the other regions of Nigeria. All this your "culture of inheritance" noise is nothing but excuse !

Ok Sir, I have heard you.
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by HBB1(m): 10:33am On Nov 12, 2023
BreconHills:

So the girl child is a second class child? Just asking based on what you wrote above. Even in biblical times women bought property from their own money Proverbs 31:16-18. If descended from the Jews surely the SE should rank high in womens property titles. Or are there different strands of Jewish thinking?

Descended from which Jews?!

Every heard of delusions of grandeur?!

Na mental illness o!
🀣
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by HBB1(m): 10:35am On Nov 12, 2023
VEHINTOLAR:

The only known "Warrior" in Igbo land is that fictional character in Chinua Achebe's play -Things Fall Apart,so what's this chestbeating all about,man ? Even those whose territories extended far beyond the shores of today's Nigeria are not even bragging or making any noise about it,why is it always you Igbo people ?! Every little thing,you guys will just come out from your holes and start spewing gibberish !

As far as this data is concerned,take it or leave it,it shows,very clearly,that women in Igbo land are economically very weak and are not in the same league as their counterparts from the other regions of Nigeria. All this your "culture of inheritance" noise is nothing but excuse !

Warriors that were still living in caves when the British came?
🀣

More like E-warriors.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by VEHINTOLAR: 10:38am On Nov 12, 2023
HBB1:

Warriors that were still living in caves when the British came?
🀣

More like E-warriors.

grin grin grin
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by EazyMoh(m): 10:55am On Nov 12, 2023
Armaggedon:
if you are thinking properly you will know you just proved his point. Divorce rate is high in the North unknown to many. If they are entitled to nothing upon divorce, it makes property ownership in their own name more plausible.
How many women in the North have any source of income that would enable them buy properties in such a proportion as to 20 times their southern counterparts?
We are talking about the poorest region in the country for that matter.
The
Major reason is inheritance pattern which is in stark contrast. This why the rate in SS is more than 5 times that of SE even though the "divorce rate" of these 2 regions are very similar. Why is their result such different?
The ONLY major difference between SS and SE is the strict enforcement of the culture banning female inheritance of landed properties.
Period
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by tollyboy5(m): 11:16am On Nov 12, 2023
Entprys:
So infidelity helps.
Cos level of unfaithfulness among our women in SW might have influenced this progress
It has more to do with inheritance
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by omenka(m): 11:16am On Nov 12, 2023
CaptainAyub:

If not that you’re a never-do-well 47yrs old e-hooligan,your mama for no de buy property in her name.
Na your name she go de use
Igbo man has spoken. What a tribe. 😁😁

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by tollyboy5(m): 11:17am On Nov 12, 2023
PHIPEX:
There is a close relationship between this stats and Divorce rate. The higher the divorce rate, the higher the potential for a woman to own a property IN HER OWN NAME. Why should my wife own a property in her own name if we are happily married, the least is co-ownership of property between the husband and the wife.

It also relates to the high rate of polygamy, women have higher tendency to own property in their own name if the husband is polygamous. In that case each wife tries to secure the future of their own children. Statistically, South East is least in polygamy in Nigeria because of the influence of Christianity, so their women will be the least in owning landed property in their own names.
The position of sw does not tally accordingly when both stat are placed side by side because women own property more in southwest due to inheritance which is not common in the east.
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by SSpeter(m): 11:21am On Nov 12, 2023
EazyMoh:

A daughter is nothing less than a son. She should also inherit a part of her father.
Ok what if you only have female children? Your legacy then becomes terminated?
Now let me answer you as sincerely as possible. You see, culture is from time immemorial. Inherited properties cannot be given to females and there is a reason. If I acquire wealth, I can buy my daughters choice houses in their name. But I cannot give them an inherited property because it will be a great disservice to my sisters who should be first in line before my daughters and so it should have gotten to my aunties instead of my sisters. You see? If you have all female children, your inherited properties goes to your nephew or your brother. While the property you acquire yourself can go to your wife or daughters. Remember after your demise no one can touch the inheritance until after the passing of your spouse and your daughters all married

2 Likes

Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by nony43(m): 11:22am On Nov 12, 2023
deji17:
Waoh.
For SS, Im sure Benin is responsible for most of their figures. Some of their women are widows who inherited husband properties....
For SE... Hmm
Only 2%,. This explains why their women loves to marry outsiders. Slavery!

So they marry outsiders and inherit properties? Slave mentality.
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by LeoDeKing: 11:27am On Nov 12, 2023
omenka:
Igbo man has spoken. What a tribe. 😁😁
They seriously trying to twist the obvious.

People who insult northerners for not allowing their women any opportunity. Statistics has shown that reverse is actually the case between them and northerners.

Imagine, 2% of Igbo women own landed property while about 50% of Northern women do, what a poppycock.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by tollyboy5(m): 11:28am On Nov 12, 2023
sagitariusbaby:
It's natural, where you have a predominant polygamous families, you don't expect women not to buy properties in their own names instead of joint or their husband's name.

For instance, my wife does not buy anything in her name including lands, she either use my name or our son's name to buy it, she wouldn't do that if I have other wives or if I had previously had a male children from another women.
You forgot to include inheritance. Women inherit from their parents in other region.
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by tollyboy5(m): 11:34am On Nov 12, 2023
joyandfaith:

Goid observation.
That's a mediocre observation. He skipped inheritance and talked about divorce with no stat to prove that. lol
Over sense wan kill am
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by tollyboy5(m): 11:37am On Nov 12, 2023
PHIPEX:
The 2nd paragraph on polygamy applies to the North
Why did you skip parental inheritance? baba ogbon.
You think sey na you smart pass grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by tollyboy5(m): 11:41am On Nov 12, 2023
Armaggedon:
if you are thinking properly you will know you just proved his point. Divorce rate is high in the North unknown to many. If they are entitled to nothing upon divorce, it makes property ownership in their own name more plausible.
You typed jargons. Bring your stat that shows the most divorced region
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by ogaontop(m): 12:05pm On Nov 12, 2023
KingOfAllIgbos:
shocked

Damn! No wonder Amaka and Ngozi desperately grip my waist with yamlegs during kerewa.

Who wants to drink corpse water or fight with in-laws over inheritance? undecided

I doubt if some of you guys actually went to school, is inheritance the only means of ownership? Is it even the major means of making money and investing Or are you a kid? I think Nairaland should have age limit checks before registration!
Igbo women make money, invest with their husband or buy in their children's name

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by PHIPEX(m): 12:10pm On Nov 12, 2023
tollyboy5:

Why did you skip parental inheritance? baba ogbon.
You think sey na you smart pass grin grin grin grin grin grin
Because it's statistically insignificant. Most registered land owners in the East bought it with their money. Those with inheritance (male or female) are usually based on communal knowledge and hardly gets registered with the govt so are statistically insignificant.
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by Panda7(m): 12:25pm On Nov 12, 2023
you see in most tradition, female children have no rights/inheritance over their parents property except when in their husband's house.
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by tollyboy5(m): 12:29pm On Nov 12, 2023
PHIPEX:
Because it's statistically insignificant. Most registered land owners in the East bought it with their money. Those with inheritance (male or female) are usually based on communal knowledge and hardly gets registered with the govt so are statistically insignificant.
Insignificant in the east doesn't make it insignificant in other region. You capitalized on divorce being the reason women own properties more in other region and skipped the fact that women own property a lot due to inheritance in southwest and other region. That's what I'm pointing out to you.
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by tishbite42: 12:30pm On Nov 12, 2023
RosyIsBlessed:

And the most uneducated men.
Kenneth Dike was the first indigenous principal of the University College, Ibadan
Eni Njoku was the first VC of Unilag
How uneducated is that, dummy?
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by vannessa7(f): 12:34pm On Nov 12, 2023
YoshihideSuga:

That's not true. The north has the highest divorce rates in Nigeria. It's easier to divorce in Islam than Christianity.

No !, it's not, stop yarning dust, in Islam a woman cannot divorce her husband except in case of threat to life or neglect, only a husband can divorce a wife, also because you expect polygamy you are already prepared and will not be too shocked if your husband marries another woman and if you are a true Muslim you realise you cannot divorce your husband because he married another woman which is a major ground for divorce in Christianity , so where is this divorce coming from?
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by HBB1(m): 12:38pm On Nov 12, 2023
tishbite42:

Kenneth Dike was the first indigenous principal of the University College, Ibadan
Eni Njoku was the first VC of Unilag
How uneducated is that, dummy?

Don't think that is worth bragging about.
🀣
Re: Statistics Of Women Per Region Who Own A House With Title In Nigeria by tishbite42: 12:39pm On Nov 12, 2023
HBB1:

Mediocre at best!

Some tribes had done way more before then
This was done in Yorubaland wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Residents And Traders Count Their Losses As 23 Road Festac Market Is Demolished / "As A Guy You Should Already Own A House At 21" - Slay Queen / EXECUTIVE BATHROOM NEEDS HERE WITH PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.