Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba (39439 Views)

CAF Congratulates Super Eagles Striker Victor Osimhen On Ballon D’or Nomination / Onuachu Replaces Osimhen In Nigeria’s Squad For Algeria, Tunisia Friendlies / I Sold Pure Water On Lagos Streets, Life Was Tough - Victor Osimhen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by ThierryJay: 11:08am On Dec 12, 2023
Evboesi:
It might be that your mum’s family have base in Lagos up to the third generation, or other parts of yorubaland.

And also the extreme western parts of Bini also share borders with Ondo state. Ask your mum if she is from Usen or any other extreme western Bini villages, these are the only parts that have these Yoruba ability. 90% of Binis don’t know speak Yoruba and don’t have any need for it.

My mum's extended family are from Benin City itself. They do not have any family base in Lagos or Yorubaland though one or two of her cousin sisters married from Yoruba, but the core of the family tree is purely Benin.

Let's even leave the speaking part. Why do so many people from Edo/Benin bear Yoruba names or surnames? I have seen this quite a lot and most of them have to voice out openly to clear misinterpretations that they are not Yoruba but from Edo State. I think this is an even stronger proof of preexisting ties.

Your thoughts?
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by Gamesmart: 11:12am On Dec 12, 2023
LeonSaab:
Oga click the link.....and follow it.....it's unknown to you but know to Indians and other diplomats across the world.....when you've been busted the ignorant go into denial....just come out so you can be properly educated

Idiot, it is sad your education never equipped you with a basic, such as "reliable source".

Your father probably said "education is too expensive", so he paid for ignorance to be given to you. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by Gamesmart: 11:13am On Dec 12, 2023
Antivirus92:
coming from a very low IQ person

Another one that makes idiotic statements like LeonSaab and thinks he can get out of it with defiance and insult. grin grin grin grin
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by ViceGovernor: 11:21am On Dec 12, 2023
ceejay80s:
Edo is not yoruba
And yet they have an Óba 👑
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by LeonSaab: 11:23am On Dec 12, 2023
Gamesmart:

Another one that makes idiotic statements like LeonSaab and thinks he can get out of it with defiance and insult. grin grin grin grin
you always got to quote me cause you know I will help you with your ignorance.......don't worry I'm here for you.....😁
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by Gamesmart: 11:25am On Dec 12, 2023
Evboesi:
Thank you my brother, if he pick up form tomorrow for Lagos governorship position, them go cast am out say nor be yoruba

Nonsense!

Did Olusegun Aganga from Edo State not represent Lagos as a Minister?

Did they cast him out?

3 Likes

Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by LeonSaab: 11:25am On Dec 12, 2023
Gamesmart:

Idiot, it is sad your education never equipped you with a basic, such as "reliable source".

Your father probably said "education is too expensive", so he paid for ignorance to be given to you. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
next thing ignorance shifts to when denial no longer works for him is to begin to insult others......just admit your ignorance and let your education begin.....😁🤣🤣
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by Evboesi: 11:26am On Dec 12, 2023
ThierryJay:

My mum's extended family are from Benin City itself. They do not have any family base in Lagos or Yorubaland though one or two of her cousin sisters married from Yoruba, but the core of the family tree is purely Benin.

Let's even leave the speaking part. Why do so many people from Edo/Benin bear Yoruba names or surnames? I have seen this quite a lot and most of them have to voice out openly to clear misinterpretations that they are not Yoruba but from Edo State. I think this is an even stronger proof of preexisting ties.

Your thoughts?
i put it to you that the family tree is not from Benin city but from Usen, they might have one of their patriarch built a house in Benin but i put it to you that the very core of the Family tree is not from Benin city but usen or any of the other extreme western Bini villages.

The once you referred to as so many are a very minute fragment of the general Edo population. They from these extreme western Bini villages and Akoko Edo that already have these yoruba speaking abilities would naturally migrate towards the west where they already have an edge in terms of language. But that does not change the fact that the bulk of Binis are still in Benin city, In their villages and in Europe.

The normal Edo man does not bear a Yoruba name, he has nothing to do with it.

Many of them you also find like dele momodu, Olusegun Aganga grew up in Yoruba land and are in thier third generation and still however find a way to identify as Edo passing off a clear deceptive note the more. I can tell you 90% of the reasons a fraction of Edo bear Yoruba names and speak Yoruba is as a result of border. If the Edos were to be in the eastern fringes where the Igbos are presently located, i tell you no Edo would speak Yoruba or bear Yoruba names except those ones whose mothers are Yorubas and are named such by their mothers

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by Gamesmart: 11:26am On Dec 12, 2023
ppogba:

Your advice should have been " start studying" to someone who is stupid enough to justify Igbo as the most spoken language based on the fact that Igbos are in SS and every other hamlet.

To imagine someone claiming Igbo is more widely spoke than Hausa is not only sickening but also a confirmation of the fact that people will boldly justify their ignorance on a public forum.

Shows the person is a total fooool!
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by OGHENAOGIE(m): 11:26am On Dec 12, 2023
obembet:

Edo is partially Yoruba, some % of them are Yorubas
Edo isn't Yoruba...

1 Like

Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by Evboesi: 11:26am On Dec 12, 2023
ViceGovernor:

And yet they have an Óba 👑
Ilorin has an Emir, does that make her fulani

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by OGHENAOGIE(m): 11:27am On Dec 12, 2023
ubimagos:
Meanwhile, Amunike is voting someone else, dem and hate! Yoruba, I hail, oh.
amuneke offered an opinion it wasn't a vote so u guys stop peddling false propaganda
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by Evboesi: 11:27am On Dec 12, 2023
Gamesmart:

Nonsense!

Did Olusegun Aganga from Edo State not represent Lagos as a Minister?

Did they cast him out?
Olusegun Aganga was already in his third generation in Yoruba land and he has full Yoruba names

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by OGHENAOGIE(m): 11:30am On Dec 12, 2023
CrossRhodes:

If he comes to contest now, you same people will tell him to go to edo
in Lagos State about five Loca govt deputy chairman position is strictly reserved for non Yorubas... How many states have that... It's only Lagos state that employ non Yorubas or indigenes into her civil service... So long pple respect their hosts no issue cos we don't even have state of residence In our laws it's origin
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by 79733139(m): 11:43am On Dec 12, 2023
ceejay80s:
Edo is not yoruba

HeadNigga:
Hmmm...this is what gets oba of Benin angry. If he speaks now one Lagos oba will retaliate. CAF, osimhen is an Edo boy... typing that thing in Yoruba suggests he is yoruba but he is not.

Type am for pidgin instead...

It is because he speaks Yoruba well enough that's why. Victor Oshimen grew up in Lagos.
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by AncientAlien(m): 11:46am On Dec 12, 2023
chopnaira:
As posted by handler of CAF twitter account. 👇

mo so fun yin o 🥶 #CAFAwards2023

MO so fun yin entertainment. In Dagrin's voice
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by Akanoaaa(m): 11:47am On Dec 12, 2023
HeadNigga:
Hmmm...this is what gets oba of Benin angry. If he speaks now one Lagos oba will retaliate. CAF, osimhen is an Edo boy... typing that thing in Yoruba suggests he is yoruba but he is not.

Type am for pidgin instead...

But he was brought up in Yoruba land and speak Yoruba very well. Yoruba is part of him.

2 Likes

Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by seeyounow3: 11:58am On Dec 12, 2023
T hisGlobe.com never seen pictures of Lagos

https://t hisglobe.com/index.php?board=16.0
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by yetunsbay(m): 12:27pm On Dec 12, 2023
Ogene001:
Yoruba CAF employee handling social media. Everything to them is promotion of tribe. Upon say their tribes no measure up, na to promote language
You also understand English, does this makes u a white man ? Make una try dey use this brain naw
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by AncientAlien(m): 12:30pm On Dec 12, 2023
SQLmastar:
Yoruba is the de facto official language of Nigeria. Spoken by 65.66% of the population. It should become adopted as the 2nd official language.

Other languages spoken in Nigeria are irrelevant. They should be jettisoned.
I'm a yoruba but how many northerners understand tips of yoruba language. Yoruba don't solely have the ground where hausa language is, when the topic of second national language from our indigenous languages occur.
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by Okada691: 12:31pm On Dec 12, 2023
Akanoaaa:

But he was brought up in Yoruba land and speak Yoruba very well. Yoruba is part of him.
chidi mokeme understands Yoruba perfectly too, can we on that note say Yoruba is part of him?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by bigman001(m): 12:32pm On Dec 12, 2023
Caseless:
Regardless of which language this tweet is made, it should not matter. The most important thing is, it's a Nigerian language.

Are you saw we as youths are ready to get this country working? Why should anyone be angry that Yoruba is used when the same Osimhen was born and brought up in Lagos and speaks Yoruba himself?

You all tribal jingoists should go for a psychiatric evaluation.

Don't mind us those wanna be tribalistic nuisance, any small thing they direct it to tribe, we are Nigerians, lets love to live as Nigerians, but unfortunately some bunch of fools are been paid to always flood the social media with tribal issues and religious sentiments so we continue hating ourselves. Back then in the 80s when i used to live in Festac toen that housed both Igbo, Yoruba and few Hausas, we lived as Nigerians , we eat from each other's house ,play and even watch TV's from each other house , we only saw ourselves as Nigerians and the love was booming seriously then, not now , where things have changed drastically. Walahi i so much miss life in the 80s and 90s.
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by XAUBulls: 12:50pm On Dec 12, 2023
Telltruth123:

Oshoala is Yoruba from Ikorodu, Lagos State, her family house is behind my family house in Ikorodu her family speaks Ijebu language.

The current chief Imam of Ikorodu is Yahya Oshoala from Azizat family.

Indeed, Azizat Oshoala is an Ijebu girl from Ikorodu, Lagos State.

Ikorodu is one of the 3 Local Government Areas in Lagos State that are part of the larger Ijebuland which extends right across the Lagos State border into Ijebuland in Ogun State. Epe, Ibeju-Lekki, are the 2 other indigenous Ijebu LGAs in Lagos State. Ajah is also an Ijebu town.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by Triangles1(m): 12:51pm On Dec 12, 2023
santaclaws:
Yoruba language is fast becoming Nigeria's most popular language...

The Yoruba land is gifted not just for its own people, but for the acceptance of others. I hope politicians and die-hard tribalists won't tear us apart as Nigerians.

God bless Nigeria 🇳🇬

I wish I can like this for 10,000 times, you just quote the truth, this people tolerance is too deep like ocean.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by SonOfDSoil01: 1:09pm On Dec 12, 2023
KwuoteYourFada:

Travel more and stop hiding under your mom's bed in beere Ibadan

Hausa is the most spoken language
Second to Igbo
Igbo is spoken in both SE some parts of SS ( rivers, Delta North some parts of akwa ibom about 5 igbo communities are in Akwa ibom, NC about 3 communities Benue state were cut off from Ebonyi .

Yoruba is mostly spoken in SW kwara and few communities in kogi

Travel more
grin when you stop hallucinating, let us know…ibo language is only popular in your 5 tiny villages grin how many non ibo speak the language compared to the thousands of your flat head brothers that speak Yoruba especially in lagos grin even the popularity of Yoruba languages are felt in our music….Ibo language is a language of aggressive apes grin

1 Like

Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by XAUBulls: 1:22pm On Dec 12, 2023
Enugurangers:

Lagosians. Different from being indigineous (Yoruba). Most Igbos born and bred in Lagos communicate in Yoruba much more than Igbo. At least those I went to university with at Unilag and OAU.
Let me come in here.

You are partly wrong in your response to that guy with regards to your use of the word "Lagosian."

The term "Lagosian" is used exclusively for those from Lagos Island (Eko). I have in my home library magazines from the 1960s to the 1980s that clearly refer to folks or indigenes from Lagos Island (or Eko) as Lagosians. It is the very lazy attitude towards learning history that has led to some younger folks and some Journalists (from the 1990s) who are NOT familiar with the history of Lagos State to erroneously refer to everyone living in Lagos State as a "Lagosian" and this is wrong.

Second, people who are NOT from Lagos State but were simply born in Lagos State by migrant parents are NOT Lagosians but simply "Lagos residents." The Ondo, Osun, Kwara, Enugu, Rivers, or Kano indigenes who were born in Lagos State are simply "Lagos residents" and NOT indigenes (or even Lagosians from Lagos Island).

Those who have ancestral roots primarily in any of the many Ijebu, Awori, and Ogu towns in Lagos State are simply called "Lagos indigenes."

An Ikorodu, Epe, Ibeju Lekki, Ojo, Mushin, Isolo or Ikeja indigene will NOT agree to be called a Lagosian (Eko) because originally, the term Lagosian is used exclusively for those from Eko (Lagos Island). This is why a Yoruba person from Ikeja will tell you in Yoruba or English that he or she is going to Eko or Lagos, and you'll start wondering "but this person is wthin Lagos State, why is he or she saying that he or she is going to Lagos?"

So, we have:
1. In Yoruba language Ipinle Eko means Lagos State.
2. In Yoruba language, Eko means Lagos Island.

Just to add, Eko is the shortened form of "Ereko" which means a farmstead. Aside from being a settlement centuries back, Eko was used as a pepper farmstead by the children of Olofin Ogunfunminire (an Awori-Yoruba nobleman from Ile Ife) who are the original landlords of Eko or Lagos Island till today! The famous White Cap high chiefs (or Idejos) of Lagos Island are the direct descendants of Olofin Ogunfunminire.

Summary: The word Lagosian historically refers to ONLY indigenes of Lagos Island (Eko).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by Bahamas95(m): 1:37pm On Dec 12, 2023
Osimhen is a Nigerian and Yoruba is one of the languages spoken in Nigeria.....Why the unnecessary noise? undecided

Wetin una for do assuming na Swahili CAF decide to use?

1 Like

Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by Omoawoke: 1:44pm On Dec 12, 2023
Irony1:

Oga cool down how when Arabic is there and swahil, Mandinka and Hausa is there and one tribal jingoistic person like you is saying Yoruba is Africa official language!!! Oga go and rest tribalism doesn't pay, just be happy that one of our language was spoken in twitter.

That statement I made is the most innocent statement of the day. Point to anywhere it related to tribalism? Are u so filled with hatred?
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by Antivirus92(m): 1:47pm On Dec 12, 2023
AncientAlien:
I'm a yoruba but how many northerners understand tips of yoruba language. Yoruba don't solely have the ground where hausa language is, when the topic of second national language from our indigenous languages occur.
Yoruba is not popular even in Nigeria and outside. There is a very high tendencies of someone who is not a Nigerian to know one or more words in what they call Nigerian language such as bia, Chineke m ee, aru, etc which they learnt from nollywood or adventurous Igbos .
Everything about Yoruba ends in Lagos and the few non Yorubas living in it
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by ViceGovernor: 1:51pm On Dec 12, 2023
Evboesi:
Ilorin has an Emir, does that make her fulani
Unlike the case of Oba in Benin....that of illorin wasn't always like that I believe there used to be an Óba in Ilorin before the land grabbers came in.
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by martineverest(m): 1:58pm On Dec 12, 2023
Basic123:

Stop being proud of your IGNORANCE 😆
Something simple Google will help you with.mumu

Asisat Oshoala is from which state? The Nigerian football star comes from Ikorodu, Lagos State, Nigeria

https://www.legit.ng/1372857-asisat-oshoala-biography-parents-husband-salary-net-worth.html#:~:text=Asisat%20Oshoala%20is%20from%20which%20state%3F&text=The%20Nigerian%20football%20star%20comes%20from%20Ikorodu%2C%20Lagos%20State%2C%20Nigeria.

u are a fool if u cannot discern that oshoalah is Aichi name
Re: CAF Congratulates Victor Osimhen In Yoruba by Evboesi: 1:59pm On Dec 12, 2023
ViceGovernor:

Unlike the case of Oba in Benin....that of illorin wasn't always like that I believe there used to be an Óba in Ilorin before the land grabbers came in.
The Oba of Benin was not always there too, it is believed that his ancestor migrated down to Benin city and his descendants became the Oba. Prior to that time, the tribe inhabiting this territory was already there with Ogiso as the ruler of the land too. It is exactly the same thing.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

I’m Not Iwobi, I’ll Insult Your Parent If You Insult Me –sadiq Warns Nigerians / Nigerian Condemns Signing Of Matic On Manchester United Facebook Page, Got Slamm / FIFA Men's World 11: Messi & Ronaldo Lead XI, Only 2 Liverpool Players In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.