Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,000 members, 7,810,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:25 PM

Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji (32981 Views)

Woman Found Dead, Man Unconscious Inside Office In Aba (Video) / Deborah Samuel's Murder: A Case Of Social Injustice - Okediji Prosper / NDLEA, DSS Burst Abuja Cannabis Party, Stop Launch Of 'Dead Man's Fingers' Drink (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by DesChyko: 6:35pm On Dec 17, 2023
US-based don recounts ordeal at hands of Nigerian immigration, police officers on Facebook, which made him cut short his visit and went back to Ghana

IGBO KWENU!!!!
Without the intervention of a crowd of young Igbo men who saved me from the claws of the Nigeria Police attached to the FESTAC Mile Two station, I would be a dead man today.
I arrived Lagos today.
I came in through Ghana, and decided to enter Nigeria by road so I could see the lagoon landscape, riding a Jeep that I hired to drive me down.
Everything went well in Ghana, Togo, Benin Republic, until I stepped into Nigeria.
Na dia trouble start oooooo!
The first immigration checkpoint that we encountered was at the Seme border, on the Nigeria side.
One of immigration officers took a look at me, and said, “Come down, oga.”
To cut a long story short, they robbed me of $500.
There were many of them, and they "invited" me--more like dragged me--to their shed.
They took my hand luggage, with all the money that I brought from the US.
Their excuse was that they wanted to search it to see if it contained contraband.
They asked for my Nigeria passport. I told them it had expired and I was in Nigeria to renew it.
They said it was an offense for me to enter the country with an expired passport.
I apologized. But they wanted none of that.
They said I had to “settle” them. They had my wallet containing the money I brought to spend in Nigeria.
They saw two twenty-dollar notes and said I needed to give them these notes, otherwise they would seize all the money in the wallet, and take me to their office to make a statement.
I had heard stories of visitors to the country ending up dead when the police invited them to their offices to clear some issues.
So I eagerly gave them the forty dollars.
They gave me back my things.
But when I counted my money later, $500 was missing.
Then the Jeep driver drove me to the FESTAC Mile Two motor park, where another driver I hired to take me to Ile Ife was waiting.
My two suitcases were on the floor at the Mile Two FESTAC car park, in public, right under the large gate to FESTAC.
I was narrating my ordeal in the hands of the immigration to my driver, when three gun totting police officer appeared.
They carried some deadly-looking AK 47.
They wanted to see the content of my bags.
As they searched the bags, they came upon the money I brought from the US.
I introduced myself to them as a professor at the University of Texas, Austin.
They asked for identifications. I gave them my driving license, the university issued ID card, my US passport and my Nigeria passport.
They took them from me.
By that time, about ten police officers had descended upon me.
Also listening were some Igbo guys hanging out at the motor park.
Before you could say “Ki lo de?” the police officers searched me thoroughly.
Then they started searching my bag.
They found that my suitcases contained my personal effects.
They were interested in a pair of shorts which they said looked like camouflage shorts.
They pulled out the shorts.
Then there was a sculpture that I made, which they said was juju,
They decided to seize my suitcases, hand luggage, ID cards and all of my money.
They said I had to follow them to the police station.
At this point, a sizable crowd of some fifty people had gathered.
One of them, with an obvious Igbo accent, said, “You can see he is a professor from abroad. He has given you several ID cards, including his passports. Wetin you dey find again?”
It was like a signal to the others, who began shouting, “You wan kill am? You people are thieves o! Highway robbers! It can never happen! Una don see money, una eyes don open…! Before you can take him, just kill all of us!”
They formed a tight buffer zone between the police officers and me.
Two of them jumped into the police vehicle and dragged out my bags from the vehicle. They accosted the one who held the wallet containing my ID card and my money, shouting, “You better give him back his wallet and money now, odawise wahala will burst.”
Another said, “We will not let you take him to the police station to kill him like you always kill international visitors.”
In a matter of moments, about a hundred Igbo boys emerged from thin air and surrounded us.
The police officers saw they were clearly outnumbered by these Igbo motor park boys.
They threatened to shoot.
These Igbo boys stood their ground, daring the police officers to kill them.
"Oya now," they said, "Sebi you get AK 47. Kill us now, and then you can take him. But you are not taking him if we are still alive."
Though some of the police officers appeared to cock their rifles, the Igbo guys only squeezed tighter around me.
The police officers slapped some of the Igbo guys near them, but their ring of protection around me did not break, it only got tighter, as the guys were yelling and daring the officers to kill them.
I was scared.
The police officers realized that the situation was clearly beyond what they envisaged.
They had imagined I was alone and nobody would rise tio my defense.
The police officer who held my wallet, passports and ID cards quickly handed them back to me, looking nervous.
The Igbo boys, chanting, carried my suitcases on their heads, sometimes lifting the boxes up above their heads like highly coveted trophies. The boys, seemingly closed in on the police officers, ready to attack them for my protection.
The police officers jumped inside their vehicles, and drove off to save face, their tails curled behind their brokos.
I recalled the traumatic moment I left the country in 1992, and swore “If you see me in this god-forsaken country again, cut off my neck.”
Obviously, the country has fallen much lower since then, and is now a danger zone in which men in uniforms of all descriptions—immigration, customs, police, vehicle inspection officers and others wearing uniforms difficult to identify or define—they have all taken over the country and made it difficult for citizens to enjoy, or even just subsist in their own country.

Moyo Okediji is an art historian, painter and artist whose works contains a number of icons and signifiers of the deep aspects of Yoruba culture. He is currently an academic staff of the University of Texas, Austin.

https://web.facebook.com/moyo.okediji/posts/pfbid0eGS1UUHbZbbFCeJHrBfzPrMBBH1X4mZu6HqscA7C9VeR4SWNX4SmBSE88H4p2Ujbl?_rdc=1&_rdr

116 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by Lovemeharder(f): 6:36pm On Dec 17, 2023
shocked

2 Likes

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by EmperorCaesar(m): 7:19pm On Dec 17, 2023
Humanity first before anything

Even those ethnic fighters on nairaland would do anything in their powers to save their oppositions from death

Nothing special about this

97 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by DesChyko: 8:10pm On Dec 17, 2023
EmperorCaesar:

Even those ethnic fighters on nairaland would do anything in their powers to save their oppositions from death

You aren't one of them? Or you didn't know the account you're posting with?

Anyways, it's a great thing Moyo had the Igbo boys around in Lagos where this happened.

Humanity over elections.

220 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by Lastmankc(m): 8:56pm On Dec 17, 2023
EmperorCaesar:

Who told you that?If it's true, what happened to some voters in Lagos during the election shouldn't have happened.The tribal fools here don't know anything about humanity

249 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by nairaland2: 8:58pm On Dec 17, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by Chibuzoripob: 8:58pm On Dec 17, 2023
sad NIG POLICE sad are bunches of irredeemable CRIMINALS angry angry disgrace angry. SOME OF THESE IDIOTS Wan extort a lady foreigner biker in OYO weeks back. AYELALA KILL THE THIEVES AMONG UNA.

Wey that Sura the Tailor super Cop

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by NSK4U(m): 8:58pm On Dec 17, 2023
Hhm
Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by mannobi(m): 8:58pm On Dec 17, 2023
The igbos are nice naturally with their deviant nature but you see these jobless chest beaters online, they are something else.

63 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by DamnnNiggarr: 8:59pm On Dec 17, 2023
shocked

reading this writeup reminded me of a certain video of group of some young Igbo men daring one Asian country police like that, I've forgotten the name of the country.

It is not chest-beating, I've encountered many daredevil Igbos, who would stand their ground against their oppressors, without minding what it might result in. That's one thing I respect about the Igbo man.

You don't have anything to worry about, if you're fighting side-by-side with an Igbo man in the face of terror.

324 Likes 32 Shares

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by marlow1962(m): 8:59pm On Dec 17, 2023
Ok

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by Lovelyn451(f): 8:59pm On Dec 17, 2023
Abeg abeg abeg...make we hear word

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by kingsways: 8:59pm On Dec 17, 2023
Because Igbos hate injustice

209 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by humilitypays(m): 9:00pm On Dec 17, 2023
This is why they hate we Igbos, we are too daring. We hate injustice. We are fearless, we can challenge anybody when provoked. The Igbo spirit is the Lion spirit.

Take Igbo away from Nigeria and the remaining tribes will become a toast to the criminal politicians and men in uniform.

Take Igbos away from Nigeria, and Fulani will use the rest of Nigerians prepare Suya.

173 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by Beuberry(f): 9:00pm On Dec 17, 2023
Igbó kwenu?

98 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by Nobody: 9:01pm On Dec 17, 2023
🎁
Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by SpatialKing(m): 9:01pm On Dec 17, 2023
That's the spirit

24 Likes

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by WhizdomXX(m): 9:02pm On Dec 17, 2023
You can imagine the bigoted last speaker

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by BusterG: 9:03pm On Dec 17, 2023
Whatever this man was thinking coming via a land border with plenty foreign notes on him.

He should just thank his stars that he's still alive.

First Rule In Naija..... NEVER LOOSEGUARD

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by Macphenson: 9:03pm On Dec 17, 2023
Igbo Amaka

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by WhizdomXX(m): 9:04pm On Dec 17, 2023
Thank God for life. Nigeria Will Be Great Again.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Without The Intervention Of Young Igbo Men, I Would Be A Dead Man - Moyo Okediji by KingLennon(m): 9:04pm On Dec 17, 2023
If you be Nigerian and u dey outside, you no know wetin God do for you sad

24 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Texas: Woman Sentenced To Death For Killing Pregnant Woman, Ripping Unborn Baby / Five Police Interrogation Tactics That Can Lead To False Confession / Anambra Gay Principal Owns Shrines, Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.