Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,246 members, 7,822,272 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? (35662 Views)

12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria / Village Oil Yam And Vegetables (pics, video & recipe) / Order For All Types Of Food, Soups And Catering Services.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by luminouz(m): 8:05pm On Jan 04
Beremx:
yes na. 17yrs of marriage and counting
Jesus...I salute you Ma.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Pallium: 8:07pm On Jan 04
aljharem:

Exactly
Jollof rice that people think it is yoruba is Senegal. (Yorubas introduced it to Nigeria)

Tuwo shinkafa is hausa ( yorubas love it)

I can keep going on and on
I can't miss a month without eating tuwo.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by DamnnNiggarr: 8:08pm On Jan 04
aljharem:

Wrong sir, we do not have common words for the same item unlike the fulani, nupe, delta, edo, hausawa etc

Igbos were shielded by a thick forest which Limited interactions

Also igbos did not have a civilization apart from Nri.

Nri was a spiritual civilization not technological or even food processing.

Okpa, abacha etc are all unprocessed food.

Even palm oil was introduced to igbos starting from Ilaje to bini Urhobo to ijaw then igbos

Give me the Yorubas variation of the following words, and I'll tell you the Igbo variation

1. Mouth
2. Ear
3. house
4. nose
5. stone
6. owl
7. goat
8. Turkey
9. Fever
10. shoot/kick
11. what
12. wind
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by viodemus: 8:08pm On Jan 04
AuthorMan:

Your History get Kleg oga.
Go to all those African countries slaves were dropped after slave trade. You won't find Igbo.
In Gambia. The Yoruba tribe is called the Aku tribe. They bear every indigenous Yoruba names. Ojo Babatunde Alaba Wande. Likewise in Seriealeone they call the Yoruba tribe Oje tribe. Togo etc.
They all have Yoruba foods and gods with same names. Moinmoin is moinmoin and akara is Akara. I lived with the them in Gambia.

Lying won't get anyone anywhere. cheesy

Sierra Leone people came to Lagos and ogun too, via British, so your mata no hold water. And the British took them there too.

One unique thing about yoruba culture be say, they would dam near bully you to learn their language, and if you do, you dun belong. Most of the war refugees from liberia in the early 1990s are still in the sw, many of them, their children are full time yorubas today, because they can speak yoruba. Those kids have grown up and have their own kids, full time yorubas now.

We igbos, need to get creative in our tribal retainment of people.

Igbos are mostly related with Cameroon, congo, bukina Faso, all the way to SA. Yes, we have people in the west of africa too, but not like the deep roots like yorubas. But Africa is not only west Africa. Hausas, fulani, and kanuris, have deep roots in west Africa also. So what? We were not conquered by the arabs, it was Europeans that conquered us. We take pride in that.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by DamnnNiggarr: 8:10pm On Jan 04
Raf4:

Are you aware that you don't grow/plant egusi in SE? How can you claim ownership/originatorship of foodstuff you imported from somewhere else?
We plant/grow melons in south east though not in commercial quantity, as well as the south south.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by opamoses1: 8:10pm On Jan 04
AuthorMan:

The guy is a clown. The culture of the Yoruba follows them everywhere and they keep them jealously. That's why they still keep all the names and terms. Kudos to our ancestors.

The day I asked a Seriealeone girl in my church what her name was she told me exactly the meaning in Yoruba *Kashope" (let's give praise)
These people make moinmoin and call it same name. They even call it the second name Olele (the E with dots under them)
Dem extend all the way from Nigeria through Ghana, Ivory coast and all the way to Gambia too.
Gyarki sang a song called Sormimu. Same word has same meaning in Yoruba i.e. hold me tight. Just like Akwaaba (ekaabo)
The Yorubas are know by different names across west Africa from Yoruba to Olukunmi (lucumi religion in Brazil, Cuba e.t.c), Anago, Aku people e.t.c
The other day in Gambia below, they were celebrating what appeared like an egun festival:
opamoses1:
Yoruba people of the Gambia popularly called the Oku people are the Yoruba people in the Gambia and Sierra Leone. They are primarily the descendants of liberated Yoruba people who were released from slave ships and resettled in Sierra Leone and the Gambia. They settled as Libertad Africans or came as settlers in the mid-19th century.

They have kept the Yoruba culture and traditions as we have seen all over the Americas.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvCTO3zNchX/?igshid=M2MyMzgzODVlNw==

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Bluntemperor: 8:11pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.
No offense intended

Why?
Is it that you too outgrown the food or that the food in Yorubas land has no taste?
Anyway,may be you are yet to try Ikokore-elemi-meje'- where you have assorted fish and different set of meat and with cold eba,then you missed your way home!
OP- why are the Named Food not having beutiful pictures attached?
You did not do this advertisement well, with you write up!
Poor You!
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by viodemus: 8:11pm On Jan 04
opamoses1:

Warris this 😂

The arabs and their African converts enslaved the yorubas, and the arabs more so the persians were the ones that conquered india, Pakistan, etc before Europeans. So, most yoruba slaves were taken to india and those places. Do your deep research.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Pallium: 8:12pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended
Thank you so much.
You are the one missing out.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by opamoses1: 8:13pm On Jan 04
viodemus:

The arabs and their African converts enslaved the yorubas, and the arabs more so the persians were the ones that conquered india, Pakistan, etc before Europeans. So, most yoruba slaves were taken to india and those places. Do your deep research.
Guy, you I don't know what you are smoking but it's very bad. Arab slave trade never got to this side of Africa grin

3 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by viodemus: 8:13pm On Jan 04
Goodvibes007:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Arab slave trade was focused on North and East Africa.

Not really. Yorubas were not willing muslims. They were conquered into being muslims. Part of the conquering, was enslaving them. And at that time, the arabs and persians were conquering india and its surroundings, that's how yorubas got there.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by love201(m): 8:14pm On Jan 04
AllahOfBlood:
cheesy

op I can't find ewedu in that list

include ewedu before I can comment on the topic

Ewedu is on the list. Look well.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by DamnnNiggarr: 8:16pm On Jan 04
Raf4:

Are you aware that you don't grow/plant egusi in SE? How can you claim ownership/originatorship of foodstuff you imported from somewhere else?
but, how can you claim "ownership/originatorship" of soup you can't prepare properly, or even know how to prepare at all?
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by opamoses1: 8:16pm On Jan 04
viodemus:

Not really. Yorubas were not willing muslims. They were conquered into being muslims. Part of the conquering, was enslaving them. And at that time, the arabs and persians were conquering india and its surroundings, that's how yorubas got there.
Aside your Arab this and Arab that which makes zero sense..The yorubas weren't conquered to being Muslims by the FULANIS. If they were, all Yorubaland would be Muslim just like in the North where the Hausas where conquered by the FULANI. The Kanuris repelled the FULANIs too..

The Yorubas accepted the religion just as they accepted Christianity. The Jihadist Fulani conquest was stopped at Oshogbo.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by viodemus: 8:16pm On Jan 04
opamoses1:

Guy, you I don't know what you are smoking but it's very bad. Arab slave trade never got to this side of Africa grin

Stop showing me A.I generated to favor your argument prints.

Yorubas were enslaved by the arabs to break them down into being stooges for the arabs, yorubas unwillingly became muslims. The few Christians you see, were mostly the Brazilians and a few converts that changed from traditional or muslims to christianity.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by opamoses1: 8:17pm On Jan 04
viodemus:

Stop showing me A.I generated to favor your argument prints.

Yorubas were enslaved by the arabs to break them down into being stooges for the arabs, yorubas unwillingly became muslims. The few Christians you see, were mostly the Brazilians and a few converts that changed from traditional or muslims to christianity.
You conveniently ignored the source on the diagram to continue talking about your imaginations 🤡🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Kenteks(m): 8:19pm On Jan 04
Ndi ofe nmanu
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by viodemus: 8:20pm On Jan 04
opamoses1:

Aside your Arab this and Arab that which makes zero sense..The yorubas weren't conquered to being Muslims by the FULANIS. If they were, all Yorubaland would be Muslim just like in the North where the Hausas where conquered by the FULANI. The Kanuris repelled the FULANIs too..

The Yorubas accepted the religion just as they accepted Christianity. The Jihadist Fulani conquest was stopped at Oshogbo.

In igbo side, the northerners and their arab lords, didn't even conquer any town. We pride ourselves on that.

The Brazillians and other former slaves, including Europeans, brought christianity to yoruba people.

The igbos were not even Christians until 1902, and then really became Christians during and after the biafran war; they saw the Christians as different, helpful, and have the same kind heart like our own Gods.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Kay25(m): 8:24pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended
Who send u before
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by LordFA: 8:24pm On Jan 04
AuthorMan:

You are right but the OP was not wrong either.
People commonly call it what OP call it.

And this is why majority think Amala Dudu ìs gotten purely from back of yam but it's not so
Amala is gotten from yam itself.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Kay25(m): 8:24pm On Jan 04
Give me sapala anyday anytime
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by kellytuns(m): 8:24pm On Jan 04
Its formally known as egwusi not egusi, just like you guys pronounce ibo to igbo its never a yoruba food. Egwusi/egusi,ugo leaf,oha leaf,achi,ofo,olugbu(bitter leaf)etc are all from SouthEast. Akara was introduced to west africa by slaves returning from Brazil,i will not be surprised if ofe akwu(banga soup)abacha,ugba,nkwobi,isi ewu,ukwa(breadfruit)would one day be termed Yoruba foods
ElSudani:

What then is the meaning of "egunsi"? Egusi as far as we know is a Yoruba word with a meaning.

I am beginning to think that the Yoruba foods you guys enjoy are probably those you try to dissociate with Yoruba. Egusi, Akara, Moimoi etc.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by ElSudani: 8:27pm On Jan 04
kellytuns:
Its formally known as egwusi not egusi, just like you guys pronounce ibo to igbo its never a yoruba food. Egwusi/egusi,ugo leaf,oha leaf,achi,ofo,olugbu(bitter leaf)etc are all from SouthEast. Akara was introduced to west africa by slaves returning from Brazil,i will not be surprised if ofe akwu(banga soup)abacha,ugba,nkwobi,isi ewu,ukwa(breadfruit)would one day be termed Yoruba foods

Egunsi has a specific Yoruba meaning just like akara, what is the meaning of "egwusi" in Igbo?
Akara was introduced to West Africa?
I rest my case.
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Ireportlive: 8:28pm On Jan 04
It's funny how they make it seem like without rice we will die
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raf4: 8:28pm On Jan 04
viodemus:

forget logic, igbos are winning the dna numbers in Brazil. No logic is bigger than that. Let me shock you, there are more of them that trace back to modern day cross Rivers and akwa ibom, than a majority tribe like yoruba.

Don't forget to tell us that the orisas they are worshiping in Brazil like Shango/xango, Babaluaye, Yemoja etc are igbo gods. They also come from Brazil every year for annual Osun festivals at ezu river in anambra.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by viodemus: 8:36pm On Jan 04
Raf4:

Don't forget to tell us that the orisas they are worshiping in Brazil like Shango/xango, Babaluaye, Yemoja etc are igbo gods. They also come from Brazil every year for annual Osun festivals at ezu river in anmbra.

Brazilians just needed something to hold on to, and that thing has stuck. But now, they are doing dna, and information about the world is getting clearer to them.

I am a Brazilian at heart. I lived there. Not that far from Rio, about 2 hrs away from Rio. I cover that whole area. They think I am a real Brazilian, and I take them as my second tribe.

Yes, they love yoruba, but more so appreciative of yoruba for letting their people in the millions come back.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by OlawaleBammie: 8:57pm On Jan 04
Beremx:
kind of wink wink

Waooh, never knew u would one day be our wife ooh and a don abuse u very well in the back grin grin

Please forgive me for the sake of my brother..🙏 🙏 🙏

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by adedayoa2(f): 9:18pm On Jan 04
aljharem:

Ojojo is better with crayfish ooo
that's your own method

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by LivingSage: 9:18pm On Jan 04
💯
It's over 15 years I ate worowo last.

Which one is Efo Ijesha
Willie2015:

Need to eat worowo...
My best vegetable back in the days...
Too much stay in the North
Where person wan see Worowo for here now...
U need to add Efo Ijesha...
Cook this with smoked titus fish...
Ur life will never remain d same....
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by LivingSage: 9:20pm On Jan 04
Beremx X Seunmsg

She wants to, not yet smiley
OlawaleBammie:

Waooh, never knew u would one day be our wife ooh and a don abuse u very well in the back grin grin

Please forgive me for the sake of my brother..🙏 🙏 🙏

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by bigcasava1(m): 9:20pm On Jan 04
I don't eat yoruba food
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by kunleham(m): 9:23pm On Jan 04
brainhgeek:

Sapala is not cooked dried maize and coconut. That is owowo.
Sapala is a type of vegetable soup from the flowers or a shrub
That's not right, sapala is a like moin moin made of corn and palm oil.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

We Design Cakes For All Narialander Who Want To Do There Birthday And Wedding / How To Preserve My Ground Melon (Egusi) And Locust Beans (Iru)? / Chinese Restaurant in Lagos Condemns Closure by FG, Says Gov't Lied Against It

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.