Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,936 members, 7,810,603 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? - Food (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? (35449 Views)

12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria / Village Oil Yam And Vegetables (pics, video & recipe) / Order For All Types Of Food, Soups And Catering Services.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Donaldoni: 12:19am On Jan 05
alanto:
This is to bring Yoruba foods to the world, I have made a list of foods I know to be indigenous to the Yoruba, you are free to add yours.

1 Iyan Isu (Pounded Yam)
2 Iyan Gbere (Pounded African Bread Fruit)
3 Iyan Koko (Pounded Cocoyam)
4 Ebiripo (Grated Cocoyam)
5 Ifokore/Ikokore (Grated Water yam)
6 Ekuru (more like moi moi without the ingredients, to be eaten with fried stew)
7 Akara
8 Moi moi
9 Amala dudu (processed yam flour)
10 Amala funfun (processed Cassava)
11 Mon nu (like moi moi can't remember the main ingredient, ate it as a kid in the village)
12 Sapala (Cooked Dried Maze eaten with coconut)

Soups
Eforiro
Egusi Ijebu
Egusi elefo
Gbegiri
Omi Obe
Ata didin

Varieties of Vegetables indigenous to Yorubas.
Elegede
Odu
Tete
Soko
Igbo
Worowo
Ewuro
Ila
Ewedu
Gbure
Amunutu

I understand that different Yoruba villages have their varieties of foods, fruits and vegetables so you are free to add yours.

Picture 1 (Iyan)
Picture 2 (Ebiripo)
Picture 3 (Amala Isu AKA "Amala dudu" meaning black Amala.
Picture 4 (Amala Lafun, AKA "Amala fufun" meaning white Amala

You forgot Isapa soup

Then Aru soup for women who just put to bed.

Also Efirin soup and Ebolo(smelly soup).

Etc etc

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by temielects(m): 12:29am On Jan 05
*Marugbo*

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by temielects(m): 12:29am On Jan 05
Ishapa
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Donaldoni: 12:29am On Jan 05
koning:
I did not see that "Green Algae" Hydraulic soup in the pictures.

Outside Moi Moi and Akara which i don't consider typical Yoruba foods, i have NOT eaten any Yoruba cuisine.

Your opinion is useless here

Moin-moin and Akara are Yoruba staple foods. We must eat either of them every week.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by temielects(m): 12:30am On Jan 05
Obe Owu
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by temielects(m): 12:30am On Jan 05
Ila alasepo
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by temielects(m): 12:31am On Jan 05
Egboyin (the Ekiti name for banga soup)
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by OlawaleBammie: 3:27am On Jan 05
Beremx:
you are forgiven. Go and sin no more
Ok ma'am,

Please he's from what side?
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by OlawaleBammie: 3:37am On Jan 05
LivingSage:
Beremx X Seunmsg

She wants to, not yet smiley

Ooh, perfect!!!

U mean that same apc guy?
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Asswipemod: 4:03am On Jan 05
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended

Good for you. Who wants to feed you before?
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Asswipemod: 4:06am On Jan 05
Donaldoni:

You forgot Isapa soup

Then Aru soup for women who just put to bed.

Also Efirin soup and Ebolo(smelly soup).

Etc etc

Ebolo is herbal. Hence the strong unpleasant flavor. It's actually medicine soup.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by ariesbull: 4:30am On Jan 05
Donaldoni:

They are what

Moi moi is actually moin-moin or olele. Hausas call it alele.
Igbo call it elele
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by ariesbull: 4:31am On Jan 05
Raf4:

Soon you people will say aṣọ-ẹbi isn't Yoruba culture, because you people are also doing aso-ebi in alaigbo now. Ditto party jollof rice.
Aso Ebi is Yoruba ...the word seff is Yoruba

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by mooa404(m): 4:47am On Jan 05
alanto:
This is to bring Yoruba foods to the world, I have made a list of foods I know to be indigenous to the Yoruba, you are free to add yours.

1 Iyan Isu (Pounded Yam)
6 Ekuru (more like moi moi without the ingredients, to be eaten with fried stew)
7 Akara
8 Moi moi
11 Mon nu (like moi moi can't remember the main ingredient, ate it as a kid in the village)

Soups
Eforiro
Egusi Ijebu
Egusi elefo
Gbegiri
Omi Obe
Ata didin

Elegede
Odu
Tete
Soko
Igbo
Worowo
Ewuro
Ila
Ewedu
Gbure
Amunutu

Ebolo Vegetable
Igbagba Vegetable
Efiri
Ewurodo

I understand that different Yoruba villages have their varieties of foods, fruits and vegetables so you are free to add yours.

Picture 1 (Iyan)
Picture 2 (Ebiripo)
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Akinomoakin021: 4:59am On Jan 05
alanto:

1 Iyan Isu (Pounded Yam)
7 Akara
8 Moi moi

Soups
Eforiro
Egusi Ijebu
Egusi elefo
Gbegiri
Omi Obe
Ata didin

Elegede
Odu
Tete
Soko
Igbo
Worowo
Ewuro
Ila
Ewedu
Gbure
Amunutu

Picture 1 (Iyan)
Picture 2 (Ebiripo)

Vegetables (Contd.)
1) Efo Gbagba
2) Efo Efinrin
3) Efo Yanrin
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 5:58am On Jan 05
Mandate1:
adopted from who?

From yorubas
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by SaturnNick(m): 6:39am On Jan 05
See as camera dey deceive eye grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Maxtipulation(m): 9:00am On Jan 05
Yuck!!!

As I dey look them pepper dey enter my eyes 👀
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by DrBeelal: 9:15am On Jan 05
Hey you've got a really nice list out there. Anyways I have gotten an amazing list for you to check out Fruits and vegetables that are not man made. This could be a good selection for you to add more researched-based non hybrid foods to your meal.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Pallium: 9:34am On Jan 05
alanto:

Are you from Ife? Do you know what they call Iyan Federal?
Haa. That one is Iyán gbere (e with undermark). It can draw for Africa and it's delicious.

It's sad we have neglected our foods for too long.
Rice is the major cause.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Donaldoni: 10:30am On Jan 05
ariesbull:
Igbo call it elele

It's all from original Yoruba word for it - olele.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by ariesbull: 11:31am On Jan 05
Donaldoni:

It's all from original Yoruba word for it - olele.
says who ....

So Yoruba don't borrow words it's others that will borrow from Yoruba
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Donaldoni: 11:54am On Jan 05
ariesbull:
says who ....

The food is a Yoruba food and Yorubas have a name for it. Others copied the food and adapted the name to their tongue. What is difficult in that?

Olele means something sticky based on the nature of the food. The real name is moin-moin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Donaldoni: 11:56am On Jan 05
Asswipemod:

Ebolo is herbal. Hence the strong unpleasant flavor. It's actually medicine soup.

Ok

Because I see no reason why anybody should eat the soup due to its nature
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by ariesbull: 1:03pm On Jan 05
Donaldoni:

The food is a Yoruba food and Yorubas have a name for it. Others copied the food and adapted the name to their tongue. What is difficult in that?

Olele means something sticky based on the name of the food. The real name is moin-moin.
is that so?
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by PARADIZEPRIEST: 1:04pm On Jan 05
if you wan purge ya system chop yoruba food grin
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by CuteNbad(m): 1:41pm On Jan 05
kellytuns:
Egusi soup is never yoruba
egusi na your language abi.

Egusi is a Yoruba word...but it's not a Yoruba soup.

Hear yourself undecided

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 4:11pm On Jan 05
ariesbull:
Igbo call it elele

That name is adopted

Nothing like Elele in igbo. Olele is the real word and igbos adopted it calling in elele.

Beans and melon does not grow in the south not to talk of igbo land

You need savanna to grow this, thanks to Oyo, Kwara, ekiti and Kogi
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 4:12pm On Jan 05
CuteNbad:
egusi na your language abi.

Egusi is a Yoruba word...but it's not a Yoruba soup.

Hear yourself undecided

They are retarded
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 4:15pm On Jan 05
ariesbull:
says who ....

Yorubas borrowed words too and have never claimed what is not ours.
For example
Alubosa is not a yoruba word
Mosa is not a yoruba word
Aboche is not a yoruba word.

Every yoruba word has its entomology
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 3:28am On Jan 06
Dodo.
Boli

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 3:35am On Jan 06
Dundun

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

See The Goat Meat Pepper Soup I Made To Reciprocate Love To My Female Neighbor / The Cheap Egusi Soup I Prepared / How Is Your Weekend Going? Mine In Pictures With Egusi And Bitterleaf Soups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.