Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? - Food (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? (35512 Views)

12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria / Village Oil Yam And Vegetables (pics, video & recipe) / Order For All Types Of Food, Soups And Catering Services.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Beremx(f): 9:25pm On Jan 04
LivingSage:
Beremx X Seunmsg

She wants to, not yet smiley
Seunmsg needs to call you to order. Abi is this his alternate account?
Seunmsg, warn this your brother o!
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by LotaTee: 9:25pm On Jan 04
kellytuns:
Its formally known as egwusi not egusi, just like you guys pronounce ibo to igbo its never a yoruba food. Egwusi/egusi,ugo leaf,oha leaf,achi,ofo,olugbu(bitter leaf)etc are all from SouthEast. Akara was introduced to west africa by slaves returning from Brazil,i will not be surprised if ofe akwu(banga soup)abacha,ugba,nkwobi,isi ewu,ukwa(breadfruit)would one day be termed Yoruba foods
Akara was introduced to Brazil by slaves stolen from Yorubaland. They took Akara to Brazil, not the other way round.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Beremx(f): 9:26pm On Jan 04
OlawaleBammie:

Waooh, never knew u would one day be our wife ooh and a don abuse u very well in the back grin grin

Please forgive me for the sake of my brother..🙏 🙏 🙏
you are forgiven. Go and sin no more

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by delpee(f): 9:26pm On Jan 04
There's ebolo too. It's a seasonal and highly nutritious vegetable.

Ewedu is very rich in nutrients too.
Also ayamase stew made from green peppers

More snacks...
There's ojojo ...fried wateryam balls
Dodo Ikire
Adun
Ikokoro

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by loluagunloye09: 9:31pm On Jan 04
Must you comment
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by kunleham(m): 9:31pm On Jan 04
Add 'Asaro elepo' , Iresi, buredi ati Akara, Ewa, Ewa Agonyin, eko tutu, eko gbigbona, Dodo ati ewa.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by LivingSage: 9:33pm On Jan 04
grin grin
Don't take offense
Beremx:
Seunmsg needs to call you to order. Abi is this his alternate account?
Seunmsg, warn this your brother o!
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by loluagunloye09: 9:34pm On Jan 04
You are filled with negativity, yes I am yoruba, I presently hangout with core igbo people and they eat ewedu. Some north African people eat ewedu, so it's not just a yoruba food
loluagunloye09:
Must you comment

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 9:35pm On Jan 04
LordFA:

And this is why majority think Amala Dudu ìs gotten purely from back of yam but it's not so
Amala is gotten from yam itself.
Yes O.

It's the sun drying that makes it black after it enters hot water
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by LotaTee: 9:39pm On Jan 04
koning:
I did not see that "Green Algae" Hydraulic soup in the pictures.

Outside Moi Moi and Akara which i don't consider typical Yoruba foods, i have NOT eaten any Yoruba cuisine.
You lots are funny.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by delpee(f): 9:40pm On Jan 04
AuthorMan:

Yes O.

It's the sun drying that makes it black after it enters hot water

You can buy elubo that is white inside if you want your amala in lighter shades like grey and light brown.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 9:44pm On Jan 04
delpee:

You can buy elubo that is white inside if you want your amala in lighter shades like grey and light brown.

Exactly.
Those selling the power dey mix am sef. Out of greed.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raf4: 9:48pm On Jan 04
DamnnNiggarr:

but, how can you claim "ownership/originatorship" of soup you can't prepare properly, or even know how to prepare at all?

Non of your soup or food has national recognition, unlike Yoruba soup and foods that have gone from national to international. Moi moi, akara, amala, ewedu, gbegiri, egusi, ofada rice & sauce, Beans & dodo, bokoto, asun, agege bread, party jollof etc are all Yoruba foods that are being enjoyed nationally and now internationally from UK to US to Brazil to Canada etc

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raf4: 9:51pm On Jan 04
DamnnNiggarr:

We plant/grow melons in south east though not in commercial quantity, as well as the south south.

Nobody knew anything about egusi in SE untill 1970/80s.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by kellytuns(m): 9:54pm On Jan 04
grin angry please rest this Akara stuff.Akara is made up of 98% beans and during the slave trade era yoruba people never engaged in beans cultivation even till date.the cultivation
of beans,groundnut, maize etc are majorly northern nigerian and meddle belt crops.i am not saying that the Yorubas doesn't have
foods persay but those foods you are mentioning are borrowed foods just like foods like rice, spaghetti, macaroni, suya, indomie, bread, potatoes etc are all borrowed foods,
LotaTee:
Akara was introduced to Brazil by slaves stolen from Yorubaland. They took Akara to Brazil, not the other way round.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 9:56pm On Jan 04
DamnnNiggarr:
Egwusi had it's original from Igbo or should I say it's more of a coincidence, because Yoruba and Igbo have many words in common.
Our forefathers and ancestors ate egwusi soup even before the rise and fall of civilization.

There is nothing like Egwusi. Egusi is Egusi. It is Yoruba.

It was your forefathers that could not pronounce it the right way and they come transfer am to their children.

The same way you can't pronounce Brother and you call it Bloda. grin

Nothing like Egwusi . grin

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by delpee(f): 9:57pm On Jan 04
ariesbull:
Akara
Moi Moi aren't Yoruba foods

Really? grin grin
Akara that has always been used as a major part of traditional ceremonies since the days of my ancestors.
E.g. When old people die, akara and eko is prepared daily for guests for the first few days. (No food is served when young people die.) Modernity and urbanisation is what brought about puffpuff and drinks.

There's a special akara prepared in my village for special occasions. It's similar to Akara Osu...big, thick but still fluffy inside and very sweet.

Farming of moinmoin leaves have been the specialty of women in some parts of Osun State for ages. Usually grown easily on Cocoa farms.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by oloshun(m): 10:01pm On Jan 04
[quote author=viodemus post=127780418]

Abeg go and study more. Is not a secret.
Brazil has the largest population of blacks outside of Africa. Yes, yoruba culture has a head start, because it was the go to place for brazilian slaves. I also stayed in Brazil, I lived there, not visit. I saw when many of them were dumbfounded that their dna is not tracing back to yoruba like they thought. All their life, they have been told of yoruba and yoruba culture.

My hypothesis on how they came to claim yoruba culture, is that many of the ship captains, who were the big boys amongst slaves in those times, were very influential in spreading the yoruba culture there. And then during their wars, the colonials took some Africans especially the Brazilians back there to go fight. After the war, those ones help spread the yoruba ministry again.

The whites of Brazil couldn't tell the blacks they were lost people like the Americans. By the way, about 25% of American slaves, were taken from Brazil. Brazil was the staging ground for the Mexican, American, etc. slaves. It was from Brazil that they dispatched slaves all over the Americas in the 1600s, and 1700s.

The Brazilians just held on to what they know, and it was mostly because they could get to Lagos, Nigeria. The fact is, over 5 or more million of yorubas today, came from Brazil. It was even because of the Brazilian model that American govt decided to send some African Americans to current day Liberia; but that did not translate in the African American communities like the Brazilians. Am sure if it did, the current black Americans would have been saying they all came from liberia.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by delpee(f): 10:03pm On Jan 04
kellytuns:
grin angry please rest this Akara stuff.Akara is made up of 98% beans and during the slave trade era yoruba people never engaged in beans cultivation even till date.the cultivation
of beans,groundnut, maize etc are majorly northern nigerian and meddle belt crops.i am not saying that the Yorubas doesn't have
foods persay but those foods you are mentioning are borrowed foods just like foods like rice, spaghetti, macaroni, suya, indomie, bread, potatoes etc are all borrowed foods,

We had native beans grown here years ago before the Northern version took over the markets. I remember one known as Sunmunu and another one whose name skips my memory now. I had the opportunity of eating both in my younger years.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by kellytuns(m): 10:06pm On Jan 04
Remember not all beans can be used for Akara,just like the Igbos have akidi(kidney beans)
delpee:

We had native beans grown here years ago before the Northern version took over the markets. I remember one known as Sunmunu and another one whose name skips my memory now. I had the opportunity of eating both in my younger years.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 10:06pm On Jan 04
DamnnNiggarr:
Egwusi had it's original from Igbo or should I say it's more of a coincidence, because Yoruba and Igbo have many words in common.
Our forefathers and ancestors ate egwusi soup even before the rise and fall of civilization.

Stop deceiving yourself.
Egwusi ko grin

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by oloshun(m): 10:11pm On Jan 04
Goodvibes007:

Yorubaland is huge and spans at least 3 present day countries.

Salvador, Bahia has the greatest concentratrion of blacks. In Bahia, most slaves came from the Mina Coast and were of Yoruba, Fon, Ewe, Hausa origin in contrary to other regions where Bantu slaves from Angola & Congo predominated. Yoruba and other West Africans were Muslims and thus could read and speak in Arabic which impressed white people. Same applies mostly to alot of South American countries.

Although Brazil received slaves from various parts of Africa, including the Eastern Coast, most slaves came from the then called Slave Coast - situated where today are the modern states of Nigeria, Togo and Benin - and smack in the middle of Yorubaland.

Portuguese traders bought slaves there since 1450, and in the 1600s. they built a fort in Ouidah, Benin - the Fortaleza de São João Baptista de Ajudá. The place served as a trade center, with the locals buying European and Brazilian products (tobacco, sugar and spirits, mostly) and selling slaves - mostly Yorubas.
During the 1800s. the fort was abandoned, and occupied by a Brazilian slave trader, Francisco Felix de Souza, roughly from 1805 to 1844. Francisco Felix received from the King of Benin the aristocratic title of Xaxa, established a harem, had countless children and established the largest slave market in Africa. ONLY TO BAHIA (his native State, by the way) he exported HALF A MILLION PEOPLE during his life, and he supplied Rio and Pernambuco as well, and the Americans and the British. (If you want to know more about the Xaxáma, read The Viceroy of Ouidah, by Bruce Chatwin.

In his book the Chacha is a Gaucho from Bahia, and Bahia and Rio Grande are 3.000 km apart. You can also watch Cobra Verde by Werner Herzog, loosely based on his story. If you really want to know about him - and know Portuguese - read Francisco Felix de Souza, Mercador de Escravos by Prof. Alberto da Costa e Silva).

Just to give an idea of the size of his operation, in today’s value the Chachá’s empire would be worth 3 billion dollars. Although I can’t see why, his descendants - called Ajudas - still revere his memory, speak some Portuguese words, turned his home into a Museum, and give a big party on his birthday. More incredible yet is that a few years ago the then PT Governor of Bahia, Jacques Wagner, crashed in to the party to wish “happy birthday” to the memory of probably the worst slave trader in History.

But wait a minute - if more Yorubas came to Brazil, that meant that they enslaved their own people? The answer is, of course, NO. Most Yorubas were enslaved by the Fon, which inhabited Northern Benin. And why they did not fought back? Well, if you have someone who’s worth 3 Billion supplying your enemy with guns, that’s difficult.

Usi g logic, and you will find the reason for the prominence of the Yoruba people: lots of people of one ethnicity landing in the same place are more likely to preserve at least some of their culture.

Please I need your contact.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 10:17pm On Jan 04
aljharem:

Yorubas will never claim what is not theirs.

Some of our foods were introduced and we documented it

Jollof rice in Nigeria which was introduced to igbos and others is actually from Senegal

Sango is from Nupe

We don't twist history

Our forefathers were never liars bro.

We are people with documented history. Like you mentioned. All those Odu Ifa came with history and are never twisted for ages.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 10:24pm On Jan 04
aljharem:

Exactly
Jollof rice that people think it is yoruba is Senegal. (Yorubas introduced it to Nigeria)

Tuwo shinkafa is hausa ( yorubas love it)

I can keep going on and on

No one say jollof rice is Yoruba.

It belongs to SENEGAL and GAMBIA the Wollof Tribe in both countries owns it.

It was formally WOLLOF RICE before it gradually changed to JOLLOF RICE.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by LotaTee: 10:26pm On Jan 04
kellytuns:
Whatever feeds your delusion.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by alanto: 10:59pm On Jan 04
Pallium:

Delè (both "e" have undermark)

That one is common in Ife.
Yes... Used to eat it in Ilare. Made and sold by this old woman we used to call Iya Ilare.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by alanto: 11:01pm On Jan 04
tunwumi:

Op, do you know Olu soup(mushroom)

Yes. I do .. my great grandma used to make me grind her Olu really smooth before she can cook them
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by alanto: 11:02pm On Jan 04
femi4:
Iyan is Iyan...which one is Iyan isu
No sir... I have had 3 types of Iyan.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by alanto: 11:03pm On Jan 04
Pallium:

Delè (both "e" have undermark)

That one is common in Ife.
Are you from Ife? Do you know what they call Iyan Federal?
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Free2Fly: 11:55pm On Jan 04
alanto:
This is to bring Yoruba foods to the world, I have made a list of foods I know to be indigenous to the Yoruba, you are free to add yours.

1 Iyan Isu (Pounded Yam)
2 Iyan Gbere (Pounded African Bread Fruit)
3 Iyan Koko (Pounded Cocoyam)
4 Ebiripo (Grated Cocoyam)
5 Ifokore/Ikokore (Grated Water yam)
6 Ekuru (more like moi moi without the ingredients, to be eaten with fried stew)
7 Akara
8 Moi moi
9 Amala dudu (processed yam flour)
10 Amala funfun (processed Cassava)
11 Mon nu (like moi moi can't remember the main ingredient, ate it as a kid in the village)
12 Sapala (Cooked Dried Maze eaten with coconut)

Soups
Eforiro
Egusi Ijebu
Egusi elefo
Gbegiri
Omi Obe
Ata didin

Varieties of Vegetables indigenous to Yorubas.
Elegede
Odu
Tete
Soko
Igbo
Worowo
Ewuro
Ila
Ewedu
Gbure
Amunutu

I understand that different Yoruba villages have their varieties of foods, fruits and vegetables so you are free to add yours.

Picture 1 (Iyan)
Picture 2 (Ebiripo)
Picture 3 (Amala Isu AKA "Amala dudu" meaning black Amala.
Picture 4 (Amala Lafun, AKA "Amala fufun" meaning white Amala

These people are pure hausa/fulani abeg!

Look at how they miss their yeye, oily soup and semo in the same plate.

And it looks like they'll be chewing it, instead of swallowing it like normal Africans do.

This is disgusting mehn. Yar!ba = fulani
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by YorubaPrince: 12:13am On Jan 05
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended

You're indeed cursed! angry
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Donaldoni: 12:13am On Jan 05
ariesbull:
Akara
Moi Moi aren't Yoruba foods

They are what

Moi moi is actually moin-moin or olele. Hausas call it alele.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

The Cheap Egusi Soup I Prepared / Lady Warns People To Be Careful Of The Kind Of "Kponmo" They Buy (pic/video) / How Is Your Weekend Going? Mine In Pictures With Egusi And Bitterleaf Soups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.