Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,727 members, 7,824,056 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? (35696 Views)

12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria / Village Oil Yam And Vegetables (pics, video & recipe) / Order For All Types Of Food, Soups And Catering Services.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 6:59pm On Jan 04
7upnigeria:

That's why they're hated everywhere. See the way people were happy as their shops were demolished in computer village. Everywhere they go, they will invite HATRED on themselves and they cant stay in their potopoto republic. Go to Ghana, South Africa even Pakistan and see the way they hate them. The issue I have is that some countries are MIXING THEM UP with other parts of Nigeria.

Yorubas are now telling people the difference outside Naija. So, now when you say I'm a Nigerian they'll ask you "Yoruba or Ibo?"
They want to know if they should run or not.

5 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by molu: 7:00pm On Jan 04
That Ekuru is what I need right now tongue. E dey hungry me here
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raf4: 7:01pm On Jan 04
Soups
Eforiro
Egusi Ijebu
Egusi elefo
Gbegiri
Omi Obe
Ata didin

Varieties of Vegetables indigenous to Yorubas.
Elegede
Odu
Tete
Soko
Igbo
Worowo
Ewuro
Ila
Ewedu
Gbure
Amunutu

[/quote]

You can also add these soups:
Ilasa (Okro leaves)
Isapa (from hibiscus family. Green is isapa while purple is for zobo)
Ọrunla (dried okro)
Ẹẹku (like ewedu, but more slimy)
Ebolo
Ẹlẹbutẹ
Yánrin
Ọbẹ ẹyin (palm-nuts soup. Like banga soup)
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Shikena(m): 7:01pm On Jan 04
This one na confam omo orisha and he may not even know. Na una dey love Ekuru grin

molu:
That Ekuru is what I need right now tongue. E dey hungry me here

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by siant: 7:01pm On Jan 04
Iyan with isapa/egusi soup is common among Ekiti and ijesa, lgbomina
Amala with ewedu and gbegiri, called abula , ogi and moin- moin- or akara are popular among Ibadan, Ogbomosho, Oyo Yoruba generally

Ebiripo, ikokore, eba with egusi-ijebu are favorite food among ijebu people

Pupuru is a delicious food among ilaje people.

Amala lafun with gure oloboro is enjoyed by Abeokuta/ Egba people

Egbo, Ewa adalu are common among Yoruba Ilorin.

Eko akasu ati ekuru is enjoyed by my people from osogbo/Osun.

8 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 7:04pm On Jan 04
yinkeys:

You know what’s funny with all these tribalistic people
Even white people will see their food and call it disgusting
People should just embrace tolerance or stay in their lane rather than spewing jealousy or looking down on other peoples culture
There are other things they eat people from other cultures would find disgusting
Different people with different taste buds
The most tolerant people are the most progressive
It just baffles me how people come online with limited knowledge to start bashing other cultures
Strange

This same people who call Yoruba food disgusting eat Lizards. Common agama lizard o.
Just imagine!
Some part of their land still dey eat human being. Inherited from their parents. grin (Civil war don show dem shege) grin

grin

7 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 7:07pm On Jan 04
Sleekfingers:

There is nothing like Amala dudu. It is Amala..

And nothing like Amala Funfun . It is LAFUN......

You are right but the OP was not wrong either.
People commonly call it what OP call it.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Shikena(m): 7:07pm On Jan 04
grin grin grin E get why and that's why Africans should be in the habit of understanding our diverse culture instead of condemning everything they are unfamiliar with.

What you just described was the main companion to meals like Ekuru, Ewa, Eko etc. Many just loved it and started making it their main style due to the belief that it cures lots of ailments by eliminating bad stuff from your system.

Odidigboigbo:
That their pepper, hmm; they always stool because of pepper. Imagine someone that want to cook stew, she will buy tomatoes #200 and Cherry pepper and Ataorodo #800.

3 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by viodemus: 7:08pm On Jan 04
Shikena:
Yes, those are Yoruba food but who 'invented' what is what may be open to debate.
Those food types are common among Yoruba descendants in Brazil (Salvador) and the ones along West African coastline.

Abeg stop this yoruba descendants in Brazil mata. It is the other way around "Brazil descendants in the sw".

As a matter of long mathematics, many slaves to brazil were from the east of Nigeria. But when the Brazilians were escaping Brazil for decades, most of them went to Lagos, and then most of them spread throughout the sw. Most of the SE, cross Rivers, and akwa ibom
were fighting wars for hundreds of years - first against the arabs, against the Portuguese, then against the British (which ended in 1902); and mind you we also had internal wars between some igbos and tribes in akwa ibom and cross Rivers. So, the Brazilians that came back couldn't go to the east. Matter of fact, most blacks in Brazil are having african gene result traced back to east, akwa ibom and cross Rivers. Of course, Angola, Congo, and other west African countries. Yes, some, a few were yorubas.

Brazil is appreciative of yoruba for taking them in. The truth is, the colonial masters in Africa preferred the Brazilian escapees to be their help and help ease the locals. It worked. At least 5 million or more yorubas today, were Brazilian descents. Now though, they have mixed with core yorubas and even other tribes in Nigeria.

As for the food, if you say so. I respect your opinion.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raskimonojendor: 7:08pm On Jan 04
siant:
Iyan with isapa/egusi soup is common among Ekiti and ijesa, lgbomina
Amala with ewedu and gbegiri, called abula , ogi and moin- moin- or akara are popular among Ibadan, Ogbomosho, Oyo Yoruba generally

Ebiripo, ikokore, eba with egusi-ijebu are favorite food among ijebu people

Pupuru is a delicious food among ilaje people.

Amala lafun with gure oloboro is enjoyed by Abeokuta/ Egba people

Egbo, Ewa adalu are common among Yoruba Ilorin.

Eko ati ekuru is enjoyed by my people from osogbo/Osun.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by soullove1881(m): 7:08pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended

What do you by Yoruba food?
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raskimonojendor: 7:10pm On Jan 04
viodemus:

Abeg stop this yoruba descendants in Brazil mata. It is the other way around "Brazil descendants in the sw".

As a matter of long mathematics, many slaves to brazil were from the east of Nigeria. But when the Brazilians were escaping Brazil for decades, most of them went to Lagos, and then most of them spread throughout the sw. Most of the SE, cross Rivers, and akwa ibom
were fighting wars for hundreds of years - first against the arabs, against the Portuguese, then against the British (which ended in 1902); and mind you we also had internal wars between some igbos and tribes in akwa ibom and cross Rivers. So, the Brazilians that came back couldn't go to the east. Matter of fact, most blacks in Brazil are having african gene result traced back to east, akwa ibom and cross Rivers. Of course, Angola, Congo, and other west African countries. Yes, some, a few were yorubas.

Brazil is appreciative of yoruba for taking them in. The truth is, the colonial masters in Africa preferred the Brazilian escapees to be their help and help ease the locals. It worked. At least 5 million or more yorubas today, were Brazilian descents. Now though, they have mixed with core yorubas and even other tribes in Nigeria.

Somehow the culture and tradition of the eastern Nigeria disappeared the moment they landed in Brazil. Lol.

Brazil’s minister of culture has announced that Yoruba will become one of their official languages and African history will be added school curriculum.

Brazil has accumulated quite a number of Yoruba speakers and Orisha worshippers.

The African slaves from the west, carried along their Yoruba religion with them when they were brought to Brazil. This religion is referred to as Candomblé by Afro-Brazilians — a religion that seeks harmony with nature. This culture and religion is still very much relevant and gave birth to the Òrìsà-worshipping and Yoruba-speaking people of Brazil.

Last week at AYO, after a national meeting of African-Brazilian storytellers, It was alleged that the Brazilian minister of culture, Dr Sérgio Sá leitão announced that Yoruba is now one of their official languages and language and African History will be introduced as a compulsory subject in primary and secondary schools curriculum. However, the Brazilian Ministry of Culture has denied this and will keep us updated on further changes.
In attendance of this meeting, in Quilombola, were big names such as renowned Professor Wole Soyinka, Dr. Sophie Oluwole, the first female PhD holder in Yoruba Philosophy, and painter and illustrator Adeyinka Olaiya.
If this move is made, it will do well in bringing Afro-Brazilians closer to their roots and help them better understand the link between the current Brazilian practices and Western Yoruba cultures.

https://www.pulse.ng/lifestyle/food-travel/yoruba-is-allegedly-an-official-language-in-brazil/rdnkyxr.amp

3 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 7:11pm On Jan 04
AuthorMan:

So you think the world Egusi is Igbo or Hausa.

grin

You dey mind the idiot

May of there favorite food

Egusi made from Melon seed

And Moi moi and Akara made from bean

Melon and Beans does not grow in the east

These are savanna crops grown in the North or North Central

They don't even know the meaning of these foods.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 7:12pm On Jan 04
atobs4real:

You forgot to add Iyanapaja vegetable
What about gbure amunututu Ila-alasepo

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Mandate1: 7:12pm On Jan 04
ElSudani:

Moimoi and akara are not typical Yoruba foods? Really?
Brazen lies and misrepresentations.
moi moi and akara are not autochthonous to the Yorubas, it's a food belonging to all Southern Nigerians. When you eat Moimoi and akara prepared by an igbo person you won't say this again.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Shikena(m): 7:13pm On Jan 04
What is your point? I stayed in Salvador, Bahia and I am telling you what I saw and was told. If Yoruba land was just a staging area, how come I saw houses named after Yoruba towns and families in Salvador? How come Yoruba culture was strongly preserved including folk songs and even religion? Why would slaves that were merely staged in Yorubaland be more interested in promoting Yoruba culture?

viodemus:

5 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by soullove1881(m): 7:14pm On Jan 04
kellytuns:
Egusi soup is never yoruba

Yes, Egusi soup is America and British language.

7 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 7:15pm On Jan 04
Mandate1:
moi moi and akara are not autochthonous to the Yorubas, it's a food belonging to all Southern Nigerians. When you eat Moimoi and akara prepared by an igbo person you won't say this again.

Lol crazy dey worry you

6 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by soullove1881(m): 7:15pm On Jan 04
brainhgeek:

Sapala is not cooked dried maize and coconut. That is owowo.
Sapala is a type of vegetable soup from the flowers or a shrub

This one is different. Omo, e sweet like kilode
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Irupetepete: 7:15pm On Jan 04
sureleads:
Obe Apon
obe isapa
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 7:16pm On Jan 04
Mandate1:

It is not southern Nigerian. You adopted it !!! Nothing wrong with that.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raskimonojendor: 7:17pm On Jan 04
Shikena:
This one na confam omo orisha and he may not even know. Na una dey love Ekuru grin

Me I understand why grin
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by adedayoa2(f): 7:17pm On Jan 04
mariahAngel:

Keep on trying.

By the way, you forgot to add ojojo, my favourite.
I loved it at first taste.
I add milk and egg to my grated water yam whenever I want to fry ojojo. You can try it too.

3 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 7:18pm On Jan 04
adedayoa2:
I add milk and egg to my grated water yam whenever I want to fry ojojo. You can try it too.

Ojojo is better with crayfish ooo
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by viodemus: 7:18pm On Jan 04
Raskimonojendor:

Somehow the culture and tradition of the eastern Nigeria disappeared the moment they landed in Brazil. Lol.

You are mistaken.

It is there. But the Brazilians adopted the yoruba culture because it was the wave at the time. And the blacks there wanted to have some culture to showcase as their own. In the 1800s, most Brazilians felt like if only they can get to Lagos, their slavery will be over.

Please, don't think am tarnishing the yoruba contribution to Brazil. I don't have time for that, but facts are facts. For the longest, Lagos was the go to for any Brazilians that can stowaway in a ship that was run by black shipping captains.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by ShoeGetSize: 7:18pm On Jan 04
Bean cake is a West African delicacy. Every where from Senegal to Nigeria people eat it.

aljharem:

It is not southern Nigerian. You adopted it !!! Nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 7:18pm On Jan 04
Plantain Mosa and pepper too

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by DamnnNiggarr: 7:19pm On Jan 04
shocked

Egwusi and akara are of the Igbo tribe.

Moi moi is a typical Yoruba food.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 7:20pm On Jan 04
ShoeGetSize:
Bean cake is a West African delicacy. Every where from Senegal to Nigeria people eat it.

No it is not !!! The cerole people introduced it to Senegal and Liberal just as it was introduced to Brazil and the the Caribbeans.

CEROLE people are yorubas and it is well documented

Same with Egusi

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raskimonojendor: 7:21pm On Jan 04
ShoeGetSize:

Bean cake Akara is a native food to Nigeria, Benin Republic and Togo. Guess what tribe is ancestral to those countries...

7 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raf4: 7:21pm On Jan 04
ariesbull:
Akara
Moi Moi aren't Yoruba foods

Soon you people will say aṣọ-ẹbi isn't Yoruba culture, because you people are also doing aso-ebi in alaigbo now. Ditto party jollof rice.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 7:22pm On Jan 04
DamnnNiggarr:
shocked

Egwusi and akara are of the Igbo tribe.

Moi moi is a typical Yoruba food.

The south does not favour Melon and bean growth so where did you find the crops to make this food ?

What is the meaning of Egusi in Igbo or Akara

Why are igbo decent slaves not making in Jamaica but Yoruba desents make it whereever they go ?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

We Design Cakes For All Narialander Who Want To Do There Birthday And Wedding / Chinese Restaurant in Lagos Condemns Closure by FG, Says Gov't Lied Against It / TLcakeboulevard's Cake For Africa Day Cake Collaboration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.