Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? (35514 Views)

12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria / Village Oil Yam And Vegetables (pics, video & recipe) / Order For All Types Of Food, Soups And Catering Services.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by luminouz(m): 6:07pm On Jan 04
Beremx:
I cooked efo riro last week. At least in a month I cook it once with pounded yam.

Still learning how to cook other type of soups. Na small small I go learn am. grin grin
You don marry?
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by brainhgeek(m): 6:09pm On Jan 04
alanto:
This is to bring Yoruba foods to the world, I have made a list of foods I know to be indigenous to the Yoruba, you are free to add yours.

1 Iyan Isu (Pounded Yam)
2 Iyan Gbere (Pounded African Bread Fruit)
3 Iyan Koko (Pounded Cocoyam)
4 Ebiripo (Grated Cocoyam)
5 Ifokore/Ikokore (Grated Water yam)
6 Ekuru (more like moi moi without the ingredients, to be eaten with fried stew)
7 Akara
8 Moi moi
9 Amala dudu (processed yam flour)
10 Amala funfun (processed Cassava)
11 Mon nu (like moi moi can't remember the main ingredient, ate it as a kid in the village)
12 Sapala (Cooked Dried Maze eaten with coconut)

Soups
Eforiro
Egusi Ijebu
Egusi elefo
Gbegiri
Omi Obe
Ata didin

Varieties of Vegetables indigenous to Yorubas.
Elegede
Odu
Tete
Soko
Igbo
Worowo
Ewuro
Ila
Ewedu
Gbure
Amunutu

I understand that different Yoruba villages have their varieties of foods, fruits and vegetables so you are free to add yours.

Picture 1 (Iyan)
Picture 2 (Ebiripo)
Picture 3 (Amala Isu AKA "Amala dudu" meaning black Amala.
Picture 4 (Amala Lafun, AKA "Amala fufun" meaning white Amala

Sapala is not cooked dried maize and coconut. That is owowo.
Sapala is a type of vegetable soup from the flowers or a shrub

3 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by ariesbull: 6:09pm On Jan 04
Akara
Moi Moi aren't Yoruba foods
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by ufotunang: 6:10pm On Jan 04
Their food and soup no pass stew...peppered stew ,🙄
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by abba190: 6:10pm On Jan 04
alanto:
This is to bring Yoruba foods to the world, I have made a list of foods I know to be indigenous to the Yoruba, you are free to add yours.

1 Iyan Isu (Pounded Yam)
6 Ekuru (more like moi moi without the ingredients, to be eaten with fried stew)
7 Akara
8 Moi moi
11 Mon nu (like moi moi can't remember the main ingredient, ate it as a kid in the village)

Soups
Eforiro
Egusi Ijebu
Egusi elefo
Gbegiri
Omi Obe
Ata didin

Elegede
Odu
Tete
Soko
Igbo
Worowo
Ewuro
Ila
Ewedu
Gbure
Amunutu

I understand that different Yoruba villages have their varieties of foods, fruits and vegetables so you are free to add yours.

Picture 1 (Iyan)
Picture 2 (Ebiripo)
where is AGBADO ? grin
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by CJStarz: 6:12pm On Jan 04
Beremx:
I cooked efo riro last week. At least in a month I cook it once with pounded yam.

Still learning how to cook other type of soups. Na small small I go learn am. grin grin
No vex,abeg, where you from? Hausa?
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by yinkeys(m): 6:12pm On Jan 04
santaclaws:

And who forced you to eat it? Eat your tribe's food and keep quiet.

Some of you just like making unnecessary statements... 😒
You know what’s funny with all these tribalistic people
Even white people will see their food and call it disgusting
People should just embrace tolerance or stay in their lane rather than spewing jealousy or looking down on other peoples culture
There are other things they eat people from other cultures would find disgusting
Different people with different taste buds
The most tolerant people are the most progressive
It just baffles me how people come online with limited knowledge to start bashing other cultures
‘’Préjudice is an emotional commitment to ignorance’’
Strange

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by CJStarz: 6:14pm On Jan 04
Next thread go be list of Igbo foods.
This gbas gbos between Yoruba and Igbos go touch down every facet of living including bedmatics.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by LOVEGINO(m): 6:14pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended
u re not a true Nigerian bro. Thank god for barrack life, no food I no fit eat.

3 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by santaclaws: 6:17pm On Jan 04
yinkeys:

You know what’s funny with all these tribalistic people
Even white people will see their food and call it disgusting
People should just embrace tolerance or stay in their lane rather than spewing jealousy or looking down on other peoples culture
There are other things they eat people from other cultures would find disgusting
Different people with different taste buds
The most tolerant people are the most progressive
It just baffles me how people come online with limited knowledge to start bashing other cultures
Strange

You've said it all... Nobody cares about their opinions anyways.

You don't like Yoruba food- your problem! Eat your tribe's food, wherever you're from. End of story.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Sleekfingers: 6:18pm On Jan 04
alanto:

1 Iyan Isu (Pounded Yam)
7 Akara
8 Moi moi

Soups
Eforiro
Egusi Ijebu
Egusi elefo
Gbegiri
Omi Obe
Ata didin

Elegede
Odu
Tete
Soko
Igbo
Worowo
Ewuro
Ila
Ewedu
Gbure
Amunutu

Picture 1 (Iyan)
Picture 2 (Ebiripo)

There is nothing like Amala dudu. It is Amala..

And nothing like Amala Funfun . It is LAFUN......

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Itiskdg121(m): 6:19pm On Jan 04
Egbo.
Sweet memories. God bless Iya Ruka in Ibadan
LivingSage:
Addendum

SOUP
Eegun
Odo/omudo Koko (best for eating yam)
Esi
Ishapa
Ilasha
Worowo
Yanrin
Gbagba/Efo odu
Egbo'yin /Egboyin (thesame Banga soup in South South)

FOOD
Asaro
Egbo (with beans)
Eko (ogi/pap)
Eko yiyi (Solid pap) eaten with soup
Esuru
Kooko (different from Koko), cooked and eaten or fried (dundu) just like yam

I'll keep updating as I remember

There are so many Yoruba indigenous delicacies that's going into extinction because most of the family barely cook them aside the known/common ones.

This is why some believe Yorubas doesn't have food that much which is wrong.

I wish I can be cooking them as my mum do cook for us when we're still young.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by ufuosman(m): 6:19pm On Jan 04
I no sabi anyone 😂😂 my own na to chop 😂😂😂
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by jaxxy(m): 6:19pm On Jan 04
alanto:
Ikokore

Nice ijebu delicacy

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by BareFacedLies(m): 6:20pm On Jan 04
ahnie:

Come adopt me please.... atleast I go dey sure of free foods.

Come let me adopt you.

You'll be sure of free food and I'll be sure of free pussy grin
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by BareFacedLies(m): 6:21pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended

Who cares?!

3 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Soknown: 6:21pm On Jan 04
nusirat:
Mon nu ==== it is made from egusi, it will be firstly dried before ground like you do to bean in making Olele.

Sapala === This is also inform of moin, moin or Olele, but is made of corn 🌽 or agbado.

I think Mon nu is a variation of Olele, yes, it includes egusi and ewa with other moi moi ingredients. Instead of using palm or ground nut oil. The oil in the egusi lubricate the beans.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by femi4: 6:21pm On Jan 04
alanto:

1 Iyan Isu (Pounded Yam)
7 Akara
8 Moi moi

Soups
Eforiro
Egusi Ijebu
Egusi elefo
Gbegiri
Omi Obe
Ata didin

Elegede
Odu
Tete
Soko
Igbo
Worowo
Ewuro
Ila
Ewedu
Gbure
Amunutu

Picture 1 (Iyan)
Picture 2 (Ebiripo)
Iyan is Iyan...which one is Iyan isu

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by porthouse7(f): 6:21pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended
ur tribe are busy doing Amala day, we are colonising you

5 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Willie2015: 6:23pm On Jan 04
LivingSage:
Addendum

SOUP
Eegun
Esi
Ishapa
Ilasha
Worowo
Yanrin
Gbagba/Efo odu

FOOD
Asaro
Egbo (with beans)
Eko (ogi/pap)
Esuru
Kooko (different from Koko), cooked and eaten or fried (dundu) just like ya

Need to eat worowo...
My best vegetable back in the days...
Too much stay in the North
Where person wan see Worowo for here now...
U need to add Efo Ijesha...
Cook this with smoked titus fish...
Ur life will never remain d same....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raskimonojendor: 6:24pm On Jan 04
alanto:

I just don't know if many peoples know thes foods, there's another called dele (both "Es" with undermark)
I know both. Dele and Ojo.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by marsman: 6:25pm On Jan 04
Nostalgia tongue
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by ajailer(m): 6:25pm On Jan 04
7upnigeria:

My sister who schooled at Akungba has told me about it but I've not eaten it.

very delicious food. its sold all over the SW states sha. if you really will like to experience it only that you will have to go to ilaje dominated market
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by hstar: 6:26pm On Jan 04
Burgermotors:
I don't know any, na money I they fine
grin
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by marsman: 6:26pm On Jan 04
Alanto you forgot Obe ila asepo

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Tommydare(m): 6:27pm On Jan 04
No one told you to eat it in the firstplace.
Yoruba food is the best as far as I am concerned. You can keep up with your strong akpu or starch or tuwo or whatever
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended

9 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Tommydare(m): 6:28pm On Jan 04
People wey dey find better money no dey loud am
Burgermotors:
I don't know any, na money I they fine

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by atobs4real(m): 6:28pm On Jan 04
LivingSage:
Addendum

SOUP
Eegun
Esi
Ishapa
Ilasha
Worowo
Yanrin
Gbagba/Efo odu

FOOD
Asaro
Egbo (with beans)
Eko (ogi/pap)
Esuru
Kooko (different from Koko), cooked and eaten or fried (dundu) just like yam

I'll keep updating as I remember

There are so many Yoruba indigenous delicacies that's going into extinction because most of the family barely cook them aside the known/common ones.

This is why some believe Yorubas doesn't have food that much which is wrong.

I wish I can be cooking them as my mum do cook for us when we're still young.

You forgot to add Iyanapaja vegetable

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raskimonojendor: 6:28pm On Jan 04
kellytuns:
Egusi soup is never yoruba
It is 100%. It is Obatala's favourite stew from IFA corpus.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Tommydare(m): 6:28pm On Jan 04
Igbe lenu vendor.
LooneyLester:
If you chop Yoruba food finish, you fit kys because of all the yama yama them chuk for the food

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Sheggy13(m): 6:29pm On Jan 04
Akalia:
I thought it was just me. No offence, but I find yoruba cuisines nauseating starting from the recipe to aroma.

Learn to be respectful to people. If you don't have anything good to say, it's more dignifying to stay away from the thread.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Soknown: 6:30pm On Jan 04
alanto:

1 Iyan Isu (Pounded Yam)
7 Akara
8 Moi moi

Soups
Eforiro
Egusi Ijebu
Egusi elefo
Gbegiri
Omi Obe
Ata didin

Elegede
Odu
Tete
Soko
Igbo
Worowo
Ewuro
Ila
Ewedu
Gbure
Amunutu

Picture 1 (Iyan)
Picture 2 (Ebiripo)
There is/was a snack called Robo Alata. Made of melon More or less a melon cake. Just like Kuli kuli is made from ground nut, Robo is made from melon.
Another one, Abaari. Made of corn, prepared like moi moi.
Furthermore, Dẹẹlẹ. Beans and okra with other bells and whistles, fried like Ankara.
OP, thank you for bringing back wonderful memories.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Cheap Egusi Soup I Prepared / Lady Warns People To Be Careful Of The Kind Of "Kponmo" They Buy (pic/video) / How Is Your Weekend Going? Mine In Pictures With Egusi And Bitterleaf Soups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.