Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:21 PM

How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? (35457 Views)

12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria / Village Oil Yam And Vegetables (pics, video & recipe) / Order For All Types Of Food, Soups And Catering Services.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by fergie001: 5:48pm On Jan 04
Leave Eforirio for me with plenty locust beans.... Dazall

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Metrofox(m): 5:48pm On Jan 04
LivingSage:
Addendum

SOUP
Eegun
Odo/omudo Koko (best for eating yam)
Esi
Ishapa
Ilasha
Worowo
Yanrin
Gbagba/Efo odu
Egbo'yin /Egboyin (thesame Banga soup in South South)

FOOD
Asaro
Egbo (with beans)
Eko (ogi/pap)
Eko yiyi (Solid pap) eaten with soup
Esuru
Kooko (different from Koko), cooked and eaten or fried (dundu) just like yam

I'll keep updating as I remember

There are so many Yoruba indigenous delicacies that's going into extinction because most of the family barely cook them aside the known/common ones.

This is why some believe Yorubas doesn't have food that much which is wrong.

I wish I can be cooking them as my mum do cook for us when we're still young.

which banga soup from South south?
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AlabiKILLER2023: 5:48pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended

Honestly you're not a dog

Broooo
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by DONFRANSKID(m): 5:49pm On Jan 04
Fgg
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Juniorangel(m): 5:50pm On Jan 04
Ewwww,,, is that a green soup 3rd & 4th pic.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by viodemus: 5:51pm On Jan 04
Nothing wey we no go hear.

moi moi, akara, yoruba food? Igbos, they even claim corn and coconut.

out of that whole food, amala is the only yoruba food. Then soup with stew is a mostly yoruba thing.

No wonder many of them believe Tinubu invented and patented Lagos.

soon, before we know it, they might say they invented the air we breathe. Na wa o.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by koning: 5:51pm On Jan 04
I did not see that "Green Algae" Hydraulic soup in the pictures.

Outside Moi Moi and Akara which i don't consider typical Yoruba foods, i have NOT eaten any Yoruba cuisine.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AngelicBeing: 5:52pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended
Hian, Yoruba food are good, Yamayama fall on your bald head for making that comment sad

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by santaclaws: 5:53pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended

And who forced you to eat it? Eat your tribe's food and keep quiet... Nobody cares 😒

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by ElSudani: 5:53pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended

Were you ever invited?

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AngelicBeing: 5:54pm On Jan 04
alanto:
This is to bring Yoruba foods to the world, I have made a list of foods I know to be indigenous to the Yoruba, you are free to add yours.

1 Iyan Isu (Pounded Yam)
2 Iyan Gbere (Pounded African Bread Fruit)
3 Iyan Koko (Pounded Cocoyam)
4 Ebiripo (Grated Cocoyam)
5 Ifokore/Ikokore (Grated Water yam)
6 Ekuru (more like moi moi without the ingredients, to be eaten with fried stew)
7 Akara
8 Moi moi
9 Amala dudu (processed yam flour)
10 Amala funfun (processed Cassava)
11 Mon nu (like moi moi can't remember the main ingredient, ate it as a kid in the village)
12 Sapala (Cooked Dried Maze eaten with coconut)

Soups
Eforiro
Egusi Ijebu
Egusi elefo
Gbegiri
Omi Obe
Ata didin

Varieties of Vegetables indigenous to Yorubas.
Elegede
Odu
Tete
Soko
Igbo
Worowo
Ewuro
Ila
Ewedu
Gbure
Amunutu

I understand that different Yoruba villages have their varieties of foods, fruits and vegetables so you are free to add yours.

Picture 1 (Iyan)
Picture 2 (Ebiripo)
Picture 3 (Amala Isu AKA "Amala dudu" meaning black Amala.
Picture 4 (Amala Lafun, AKA "Amala fufun" meaning white Amala
l have eaten most of the Yoruba food you posted and they are good and delicious, especially hot Amala with different obstacles like round about,kpomo, fried goat meat, shaki, bokoto etc cool

12 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by ElSudani: 5:55pm On Jan 04
koning:
I did not see that "Green Algae" Hydraulic soup in the pictures.

Outside Moi Moi and Akara which i don't consider typical Yoruba foods, i have eaten any Yoruba cuisine.

Moimoi and akara are not typical Yoruba foods? Really?
Brazen lies and misrepresentations.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by 7upnigeria: 5:55pm On Jan 04
ajailer:
kpukuru(pupuru), a swallow made from cassava, an Ondo delicacy.

My sister who schooled at Akungba has told me about it but I've not eaten it.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Bahamas95(m): 5:55pm On Jan 04
I enjoyed eating ebiripo when I was in south west sometime ago.....I had a customer that always bring it to my house.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by OlawaleBammie: 5:55pm On Jan 04
Beremx:
I cooked efo riro last week. At least in a month I cook it once with pounded yam.

Still learning how to cook other type of soups. Na small small I go learn am. grin grin
You married a yoruba man??

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by adecz: 5:56pm On Jan 04
grin
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by santaclaws: 5:56pm On Jan 04
ElSudani:

Were you ever invited?

I wonder... As if they're sharing it for free. Ogunfe and Elubo wey don cost for market. grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by yommen: 5:57pm On Jan 04
LooneyLester:
If you chop Yoruba food finish, you fit kys because of all the yama yama them chuk for the food

You go talk nonsense about them but you will still come back to cry they hate you. I understand you are not always able to taste a dose of your own medicine. Continue o!

16 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by 7upnigeria: 5:57pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended

NOBODY is offended. Everything in life is choice. I dont believe in Allah and NOBODY can take offense in it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by kellytuns(m): 5:57pm On Jan 04
Egusi soup is never yoruba
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by OlawaleBammie: 5:57pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended

When fuulishness runs in the family blood, u would always find statement like this from their offsprings grin grin

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Akalia(m): 5:58pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended
I thought it was just me. No offence, but I find yoruba cuisines nauseating starting from the recipe to aroma.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by GboyegaD(m): 5:58pm On Jan 04
I know all except Odu and Elegede.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by santaclaws: 5:59pm On Jan 04
AngelicBeing:
Hian, Yoruba food are good, Yamayama fall on your bald head for making that comment sad

Don't mind that one... Some people just love displaying their ignorance.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by 7upnigeria: 6:00pm On Jan 04
Beremx:
sapa no go bend your waist. You wey wan add weight. If say dem dey share fat, I for don dash you small grin grin

Which one be goggle wey you take cover face. You carry your entire face take cover the camera.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by GindoX(m): 6:00pm On Jan 04
Beremx:
I cooked efo riro last week. At least in a month I cook it once with pounded yam.

Still learning how to cook other type of soups. Na small small I go learn am. grin grin

Give me ya recipe naa
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by 7upnigeria: 6:01pm On Jan 04
GboyegaD:
I know all except Odu and Elegede.

You dey miss.
*No offense.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by nusirat(m): 6:02pm On Jan 04
Mon nu ==== it is made from egusi, it will be firstly dried before ground like you do to bean in making Olele.

Sapala === This is also inform of moin, moin or Olele, but is made of corn 🌽 or agbado.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by NoToPile: 6:04pm On Jan 04
Egusi Ijebu
Ikokore

Hmm heavenly.

I think I ate ebiripo once at a wedding at sagamu, delicious.

Lots of indigenous foods are going extinct.

Learnt isapa is sweet, never tasted it before

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 6:05pm On Jan 04
How does knowing it help someone, abegi next topic please!
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Beremx(f): 6:05pm On Jan 04
OlawaleBammie:
You married a yoruba man??
kind of wink wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by 7upnigeria: 6:06pm On Jan 04
yommen:

You go talk nonsense about them but you will still come back to cry they hate you. I understand you are not always able to taste a dose of your own medicine. Continue o!

That's why they're hated everywhere. See the way people were happy as their shops were demolished in computer village. Everywhere they go, they will invite HATRED on themselves and they cant stay in their potopoto republic. Go to Ghana, South Africa even Pakistan and see the way they hate them. The issue I have is that some countries are MIXING THEM UP with other parts of Nigeria.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

See The Goat Meat Pepper Soup I Made To Reciprocate Love To My Female Neighbor / The Cheap Egusi Soup I Prepared / How Is Your Weekend Going? Mine In Pictures With Egusi And Bitterleaf Soups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.