Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,886 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? - Food (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? (35484 Views)

12 Uncommon Fruits And Vegetables You Can Find In Nigeria / Village Oil Yam And Vegetables (pics, video & recipe) / Order For All Types Of Food, Soups And Catering Services.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 7:41pm On Jan 04
viodemus:

Abeg go and study more. Is not a secret.
Brazil has the largest population of blacks outside of Africa. Yes, yoruba culture has a head start, because it was the go to place for brazilian slaves. I also stayed in Brazil, I lived there, not visit. I saw when many of them were dumbfounded that their dna is not tracing back to yoruba like they thought. All their life, they have been told of yoruba and yoruba culture.

My hypothesis on how they came to claim yoruba culture, is that many of the ship captains, who were the big boys amongst slaves in those times, were very influential in spreading the yoruba culture there. And then during their wars, the colonials took some Africans especially the Brazilians back there to go fight. After the war, those ones help spread the yoruba ministry again.

The whites of Brazil couldn't tell the blacks they were lost people like the Americans. By the way, about 25% of American slaves, were taken from Brazil. Brazil was the staging ground for the Mexican, American, etc. slaves. It was from Brazil that they dispatched slaves all over the Americas in the 1600s, and 1700s.

The Brazilians just held on to what they know, and it was mostly because they could get to Lagos, Nigeria. The fact is, over 5 or more million of yorubas today, came from Brazil. It was even because of the Brazilian model that American govt decided to send some African Americans to current day Liberia; but that did not translate in the African American communities like the Brazilians. Am sure if it did, the current black Americans would have been saying they all came from liberia.

Smh

What nonsense are you writing

4 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 7:42pm On Jan 04
DamnnNiggarr:
So, are you not seeing "var" variation: egwusi?
so why are you arguing?

I am not discussing about the "w" I am saying YOUR DICTIONARY mentioned it is yoruba

4 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by DamnnNiggarr: 7:42pm On Jan 04
aljharem:

Nothing wrong with the pronunciation but the food is of Yoruba origin. Melon and bean does not grow in the south not to talk of Igbo land.

No way you guys had access to it
Egwusi had it's original from Igbo or should I say it's more of a coincidence, because Yoruba and Igbo have many words in common.
Our forefathers and ancestors ate egwusi soup even before the rise and fall of civilization.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Sleekfingers: 7:44pm On Jan 04
AuthorMan:

You are right but the OP was not wrong either.
People commonly call it what OP calls it.

You made a valid point. But most people call it that name ignorantly. That was why I needed to make that correction.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Superuser(m): 7:44pm On Jan 04
Please add efo ebolo
alanto:
This is to bring Yoruba foods to the world, I have made a list of foods I know to be indigenous to the Yoruba, you are free to add yours.

1 Iyan Isu (Pounded Yam)
2 Iyan Gbere (Pounded African Bread Fruit)
3 Iyan Koko (Pounded Cocoyam)
4 Ebiripo (Grated Cocoyam)
5 Ifokore/Ikokore (Grated Water yam)
6 Ekuru (more like moi moi without the ingredients, to be eaten with fried stew)
7 Akara
8 Moi moi
9 Amala dudu (processed yam flour)
10 Amala funfun (processed Cassava)
11 Mon nu (like moi moi can't remember the main ingredient, ate it as a kid in the village)
12 Sapala (Cooked Dried Maze eaten with coconut)

Soups
Eforiro
Egusi Ijebu
Egusi elefo
Gbegiri
Omi Obe
Ata didin

Varieties of Vegetables indigenous to Yorubas.
Elegede
Odu
Tete
Soko
Igbo
Worowo
Ewuro
Ila
Ewedu
Gbure
Amunutu

I understand that different Yoruba villages have their varieties of foods, fruits and vegetables so you are free to add yours.

Picture 1 (Iyan)
Picture 2 (Ebiripo)
Picture 3 (Amala Isu AKA "Amala dudu" meaning black Amala.
Picture 4 (Amala Lafun, AKA "Amala fufun" meaning white Amala

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Shikena(m): 7:45pm On Jan 04
Your conclusion is not supported by your hypothesis and argument. There are facts on ground that run contrary to your academic exercise. You make no sense. Sorry grin .

viodemus:

Brazil has the largest population of blacks outside of Africa. Yes, yoruba culture has a head start, because it was the go to place for brazilian slaves. I also stayed in Brazil, I lived there, not visit. I saw when many of them were dumbfounded that their dna is not tracing back to yoruba like they thought. All their life, they have been told of yoruba and yoruba culture.

My hypothesis on how they came to claim yoruba culture, is that many of the ship captains, who were the big boys amongst slaves in those times, were very influential in spreading the yoruba culture there. And then during their wars, the colonials took some Africans especially the Brazilians back there to go fight. After the war, those ones help spread the yoruba ministry again.

The whites of Brazil couldn't tell the blacks they were lost people like the Americans. By the way, about 25% of American slaves, were taken from Brazil. Brazil was the staging ground for the Mexican, American, etc. slaves. It was from Brazil that they dispatched slaves all over the Americas in the 1600s, and 1700s.

The Brazilians just held on to what they know, and it was mostly because they could get to Lagos, Nigeria. The fact is, over 5 or more million of yorubas today, came from Brazil. It was even because of the Brazilian model that American govt decided to send some African Americans to current day Liberia; but that did not translate in the African American communities like the Brazilians. Am sure if it did, the current black Americans would have been saying they all came from liberia.

3 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by DamnnNiggarr: 7:46pm On Jan 04
aljharem:

I am not discussing about the "w" I am saying YOUR DICTIONARY mentioned it is yoruba
The dictionary didn't mention it as a Yoruba food. the actual Igbo word for melon is "egwusi", but the word "egusi"used for emphasis in the dictionary maybe loaned from Yor.

That's how you guys tried to claim "nwantinti"
to be Yoruba word
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 7:49pm On Jan 04
DamnnNiggarr:
Egwusi had it's original from Igbo or should I say it's more of a coincidence, because Yoruba and Igbo have many words in common.
Our forefathers and ancestors are egwusi soup even before the rise and fall of civilization.

Wrong sir, we do not have common words for the same item unlike the fulani, nupe, delta, edo, hausawa etc

Igbos were shielded by a thick forest which Limited interactions

Also igbos did not have a civilization apart from Nri.

Nri was a spiritual civilization not technological or even food processing.

Okpa, abacha etc are all unprocessed food.

Even palm oil was introduced to igbos starting from Ilaje to bini Urhobo to ijaw then igbos

3 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 7:50pm On Jan 04
viodemus:

Abeg stop this yoruba descendants in Brazil mata. It is the other way around "Brazil descendants in the sw".

As a matter of long mathematics, many slaves to brazil were from the east of Nigeria. But when the Brazilians were escaping Brazil for decades, most of them went to Lagos, and then most of them spread throughout the sw. Most of the SE, cross Rivers, and akwa ibom
were fighting wars for hundreds of years - first against the arabs, against the Portuguese, then against the British (which ended in 1902); and mind you we also had internal wars between some igbos and tribes in akwa ibom and cross Rivers. So, the Brazilians that came back couldn't go to the east. Matter of fact, most blacks in Brazil are having african gene result traced back to east, akwa ibom and cross Rivers. Of course, Angola, Congo, and other west African countries. Yes, some, a few were yorubas.

Brazil is appreciative of yoruba for taking them in. The truth is, the colonial masters in Africa preferred the Brazilian escapees to be their help and help ease the locals. It worked. At least 5 million or more yorubas today, were Brazilian descents. Now though, they have mixed with core yorubas and even other tribes in Nigeria.

As for the food, if you say so. I respect your opinion.

Your History get Kleg oga.
Go to all those African countries where slaves were dropped after slave trade. You won't find Igbo.

In Gambia. The Yoruba tribe is called the Aku tribe.
They bear every indigenous Yoruba names. Ojo Babatunde Alaba Wande.

Likewise in Seriealeone they call the Yoruba tribe Oje tribe. Togo etc.
They all have Yoruba foods and gods with same names. Moinmoin is moinmoin and akara is Akara. I lived with them when I was in Gambia. Many were members of my church.

Lying won't get anyone anywhere. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by DamnnNiggarr: 7:50pm On Jan 04
aljharem:

Wrong sir, we do not have common words for the same item unlike the fulani, nupe, delta, edo, hausawa etc

Igbos were shielded by a thick forest which Limited interactions

Also igbos did not have a civilization apart from Nri.

Nri was a spiritual civilization not technological or even food processing.

Okpa, abacha etc are all unprocessed food.

Even palm oil was introduced to igbos starting from Ilaje to bini Urhobo to ijaw then igbos
That's how you guys tried to claim "nwantinti" to be a Yoruba word.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 7:51pm On Jan 04
DamnnNiggarr:
The dictionary didn't mention it as a Yoruba food. the actual Igbo word for melon is "egwusi", but the word "egusi"used for emphasis in the dictionary maybe loaned from Yor.

That's how you guys tried to claim "nwantinti"
to be Yoruba word

Nwantinti is a pure Igbo word
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Goodvibes007: 7:52pm On Jan 04
viodemus:

Yorubaland is huge and spans at least 3 present day countries.

Salvador, Bahia has the greatest concentratrion of blacks. In Bahia, most slaves came from the Mina Coast and were of Yoruba, Fon, Ewe, Hausa origin in contrary to other regions where Bantu slaves from Angola & Congo predominated. Yoruba and other West Africans were Muslims and thus could read and speak in Arabic which impressed white people. Same applies mostly to alot of South American countries.

Although Brazil received slaves from various parts of Africa, including the Eastern Coast, most slaves came from the then called Slave Coast - situated where today are the modern states of Nigeria, Togo and Benin - and smack in the middle of Yorubaland.

Portuguese traders bought slaves there since 1450, and in the 1600s. they built a fort in Ouidah, Benin - the Fortaleza de São João Baptista de Ajudá. The place served as a trade center, with the locals buying European and Brazilian products (tobacco, sugar and spirits, mostly) and selling slaves - mostly Yorubas.
During the 1800s. the fort was abandoned, and occupied by a Brazilian slave trader, Francisco Felix de Souza, roughly from 1805 to 1844. Francisco Felix received from the King of Benin the aristocratic title of Xaxa, established a harem, had countless children and established the largest slave market in Africa. ONLY TO BAHIA (his native State, by the way) he exported HALF A MILLION PEOPLE during his life, and he supplied Rio and Pernambuco as well, and the Americans and the British. (If you want to know more about the Xaxáma, read The Viceroy of Ouidah, by Bruce Chatwin.

In his book the Chacha is a Gaucho from Bahia, and Bahia and Rio Grande are 3.000 km apart. You can also watch Cobra Verde by Werner Herzog, loosely based on his story. If you really want to know about him - and know Portuguese - read Francisco Felix de Souza, Mercador de Escravos by Prof. Alberto da Costa e Silva).

Just to give an idea of the size of his operation, in today’s value the Chachá’s empire would be worth 3 billion dollars. Although I can’t see why, his descendants - called Ajudas - still revere his memory, speak some Portuguese words, turned his home into a Museum, and give a big party on his birthday. More incredible yet is that a few years ago the then PT Governor of Bahia, Jacques Wagner, crashed in to the party to wish “happy birthday” to the memory of probably the worst slave trader in History.

But wait a minute - if more Yorubas came to Brazil, that meant that they enslaved their own people? The answer is, of course, NO. Most Yorubas were enslaved by the Fon, which inhabited Northern Benin. And why they did not fought back? Well, if you have someone who’s worth 3 Billion supplying your enemy with guns, that’s difficult.

Usi g logic, and you will find the reason for the prominence of the Yoruba people: lots of people of one ethnicity landing in the same place are more likely to preserve at least some of their culture.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by viodemus: 7:52pm On Jan 04
Shikena:
You are a very talented upcoming comedian grin grin grin

mu*2 wey no get sense, see as una pack come. I ready for una. The truth must be unleashed, since una wan white wash history.

I will even go as far as saying a good percentage of yorubas are igbos or akwa ibom or crossing Rivers. If many brazilians came back from late 1790s to even the early 1900s, and most of them were the tribes I mentioned above, including some other Africans, then help me calculate.

During the European slave trade, most yorubas and northerners were already muslims. It was the deal the arabs had with Europeans, not to violate the muslims because they took them as their own slaves. Yes, sometimes that delal got violated, but it was not many like the igbos or akwa ibom or cross Rivers.

If you want to find yoruba slaves enmass, go to india, Sri Lanka, etc those black looking kinds are mostly yorubas, hausas, and a very few igbos, because igbos fought the arabs for centuries. Even till today, igbos don't really like arabs. The black indians don't like doing dna because india has a very mean caste system. But truth be told, that is where the yorubas are. Stop claiming Brazil. Brazilians are just now starting to get their bearings right.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 7:53pm On Jan 04
DamnnNiggarr:
That's how you guys tried to claim "nwantinti" to be a Yoruba word.

Yorubas will never claim what is not theirs.

Some of our foods were introduced and we documented it

Jollof rice in Nigeria which was introduced to igbos and others is actually from Senegal

Sango is from Nupe

We don't twist history

5 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raf4: 7:54pm On Jan 04
aljharem:

They have started with even Gele and Aso-ebi

Very bad jealous people

To copy isn't a problem, but not to acknowledge the original source or claiming ownership of what you borrowed or copied or stolen from somewhere is aberration.

5 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Goodvibes007: 7:54pm On Jan 04
viodemus:

mu*2 wey no get sense, see as una pack come. I ready for una. The truth must be unleashed, since una wan white wash history.

I will even go as far as saying a good percentage of yorubas are igbos or akwa ibom or crossing Rivers. If many brazilians came back from late 1790s to even the early 1900s, and most of them were the tribes I mentioned above, including some other Africans, then help me calculate.

During the European slave trade, most yorubas and northerners were already muslims. It was the deal the arabs had with Europeans, not to violate the muslims because they took them as their own slaves. Yes, sometimes that delal got violated, but it was not many like the igbos or akwa ibom or cross Rivers.

If you want to find yoruba slaves enmass, go to india, Sri Lanka, etc those black looking kinds are mostly yorubas, hausas, and a very few igbos, because igbos fought the arabs for centuries. Even till today, igbos don't really like arabs. The black indians don't like doing dna because india has a very mean caste system. But truth be told, that is where the yorubas are. Stop claiming Brazil. Brazilians are just now starting to get their bearings right.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Arab slave trade was focused on North and East Africa.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by viodemus: 7:55pm On Jan 04
Goodvibes007:

Yorubaland is huge and spans at least 3 present day countries.

Salvador, Bahia has the greatest concentratrion of blacks. In Bahia, most slaves came from the Mina Coast and were of Yoruba, Fon, Ewe, Hausa origin in contrary to other regions where Bantu slaves from Angola & Congo predominated. Yoruba and other West Africans were Muslims and thus could read and speak in Arabic which impressed white people. Same applies mostly to alot of South American countries.

Although Brazil received slaves from various parts of Africa, including the Eastern Coast, most slaves came from the then called Slave Coast - situated where today are the modern states of Nigeria, Togo and Benin - and smack in the middle of Yorubaland.

Portuguese traders bought slaves there since 1450, and in the 1600s. they built a fort in Ouidah, Benin - the Fortaleza de São João Baptista de Ajudá. The place served as a trade center, with the locals buying European and Brazilian products (tobacco, sugar and spirits, mostly) and selling slaves - mostly Yorubas.
During the 1800s. the fort was abandoned, and occupied by a Brazilian slave trader, Francisco Felix de Souza, roughly from 1805 to 1844. Francisco Felix received from the King of Benin the aristocratic title of Xaxa, established a harem, had countless children and established the largest slave market in Africa. ONLY TO BAHIA (his native State, by the way) he exported HALF A MILLION PEOPLE during his life, and he supplied Rio and Pernambuco as well, and the Americans and the British. (If you want to know more about the Xaxáma, read The Viceroy of Ouidah, by Bruce Chatwin.

In this book the Chacha is a Gaucho from Bahia, and Bahia and Rio Grande are 3.000 km. apart. You can also watch Cobra Verde by Werner Herzog, loosely based on his story. If you really want to know about him - and know Portuguese - read Francisco Félix de Souza, Mercador de Escravos. by Prof. Alberto da Costa e Silva).

Just to give an idea of the size of his operation, in today’s value the Chachá’s empire would be worth 3 billion dollars. Although I can’t see why, his descendants - called Ajudas - still revere his memory, speak some Portuguese words, turned his home into a Museum, and give a big party on his bithday. More incredible yet is that a few years ago the then PT Governor of Bahia, Jacques Wagner, crashed in to the party to wish “happy birthday” to the memory of probably the worst slave trader in History.

But wait a minute - if more Yorubas came to Brazil, that meant that they enslaved their own people? The answer is, of course, NO. Most Yorubas were enslaved by the Fon, which inhabited Northern Benin. And why they did not fought back? Well, if you have someone who’s worth 3 Billion supplying your enemy with guns, that’s difficult.

Use logic, and you will find the reason for the prominence of the Yoruba people: lots of people of one ethnicity landing in the same place are more likely to preserve at least some of their culture.

forget logic, igbos are winning the dna numbers in Brazil. No logic is bigger than that. Let me shock you, there are more of them that trace back to modern day cross Rivers and akwa ibom, than a majority tribe like yoruba.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by lagonovo: 7:55pm On Jan 04
This one don high on Aba-made Hennessy grin grin

viodemus:

6 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by GboyegaD(m): 7:56pm On Jan 04
7upnigeria:

You dey miss.
*No offense.

Do they have any other name they go by?
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by lagonovo: 7:56pm On Jan 04
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin The mumu boy don high

Goodvibes007:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

6 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Goodvibes007: 7:56pm On Jan 04
lagonovo:
This one don high on Aba-made Hennessy grin grin

Serious one grin

3 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by mariahAngel(f): 7:58pm On Jan 04
adedayoa2:
I add milk and egg to my grated water yam whenever I want to fry ojojo. You can try it too.

Egg I can understand, but milk? 😀
How would it taste? 🤔

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 7:59pm On Jan 04
Raskimonojendor:

Somehow the culture and tradition of the eastern Nigeria disappeared the moment they landed in Brazil. Lol.

The guy is a clown. The culture of the Yoruba follows them everywhere and they keep them jealously. That's why they still keep all the names and terms. Kudos to our ancestors.

The day I asked a Seriealeone girl in my church what her name was she told me exactly the meaning in Yoruba *Kashope" (let's give praise)
These people make moinmoin and call it same name. They even call it the second name Olele (the E with dots under them)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Raf4: 8:00pm On Jan 04
DamnnNiggarr:
Our forefathers and ancestors ate egwusi soup even before the rise and fall of civilization.

Are you aware that you don't grow/plant egusi in SE? How can you claim ownership/originatorship of foodstuff you imported from somewhere else?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by AuthorMan: 8:00pm On Jan 04
Sleekfingers:

You made a valid point. But most people call it that name ignorantly. It was why I needed to make that correction.
I got it. Kudos

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by jerrytee48(m): 8:01pm On Jan 04
Tranquillity360:
I can't eat yoruba food.

No offense intended
😀 see as I dey look you
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by opamoses1: 8:02pm On Jan 04
viodemus:

Warris this 😂

4 Likes

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 8:03pm On Jan 04
Raf4:

Are you aware that you don't grow/plant egusi in SE? How can you claim ownership/originatorship of foodstuff you imported from somewhere else?

I wonder oooo
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Hintme: 8:04pm On Jan 04
Bread fruit is common in Ife and ifewara in osun state. That's my state.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by Pallium: 8:04pm On Jan 04
alanto:

I just don't know if many peoples know thes foods, there's another called dele (both "Es" with undermark)
Delè (both "e" have undermark)

That one is common in Ife.
Re: How Many Of These Yoruba Food, Soups and Vegetables Do You Know? by aljharem(m): 8:05pm On Jan 04
Raf4:

To copy isn't a problem, but not to acknowledge the original source or claiming ownership of what you borrowed or copied or stolen from somewhere is aberration.

Exactly
Jollof rice that people think it is yoruba is Senegal. (Yorubas introduced it to Nigeria)

Tuwo shinkafa is hausa ( yorubas love it)

I can keep going on and on

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Cheap Egusi Soup I Prepared / How Is Your Weekend Going? Mine In Pictures With Egusi And Bitterleaf Soups / Lady Warns People To Be Careful Of The Kind Of "Kponmo" They Buy (pic/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.