Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far - Travel (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far (65279 Views)

How I Migrated To From Nigeria To Portugal / Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? / MOTIVATION | DEMOTIVATION - Immigrating To Canada - Our Story So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by yungchop: 1:26am On Apr 02
AmuDimpka:
the people I know for years now that are in Brisbane, Adelaide hasn't even afford to come back to Nigeria for years now...Na the world they wan travel

Stop capping.. you don't know shiit

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Ikemba007: 1:41am On Apr 02
A taya o. They pay rent of $800 per month, which is almost half of the monthly earning. That's over one million naira on rent per month. If they have to keep telling us what they earn by converting to naira, then they should also convert what they spend to naira. Who spends up to 1,000,000 naira on monthly rent in Nigeria? Nobody wastes so much here.

This idea of exchange rate that means nothing to a man permanently resident and doing menial job abroad is deceiving them.

Iamzik:

Just one question for you...
Is Op spending in AUD or Naira?
Is he converting his salary to naira to send back home?

If No then your comparison is needless. You can never compare a successful CFO in Nigeria to a Forklift operator anywhere in the world.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Taiwo20(m): 2:52am On Apr 02
Thank you
Usefulsense:

The certificate you will get is the HRW license that will be issued to you. It is in the form of your drivers license in Nigeria. 90% of warehouse job will require that you have forklift license.

Even if you know how to drive forklift, you will still need to be licensed.

You will need one form of license or certification to do most blue collar jobs in Australia.

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Taiwo20(m): 2:54am On Apr 02
Thank you
chidi4sam:

Hahahahahah. I honestly do not have a solution than to refer you to a pages on NL. I got all information I needed to travel here. All it took me was to read. And Yes, my wife migrated after just 6 months we started the process. Having said that, search to 'Migrate to Australia through PR' on this page. All information you need is there. Wishing you the best of luck Sir
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Usefulsense: 3:07am On Apr 02
Ikemba007:
A taya o. They pay rent of $800 per month, which is almost half of the monthly earning. That's over one million naira on rent per month. If they have to keep telling us what they earn by converting to naira, then they should also convert what they spend to naira. Who spends up to 1,000,000 naira on monthly rent in Nigeria? Nobody wastes so much here.

This idea of exchange rate that means nothing to a man permanently resident and doing menial job abroad is deceiving them.

There are things you will never understand until you leave Nigeria.

Those who build in Nigeria from abroad, do they send dollars to Nigeria? Don't they convert their dollar to naira?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Tundex911: 3:41am On Apr 02
Thanks for the info
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 4:10am On Apr 02
Ikemba007:

You are so confident displaying ignorance. Rent is paid either weekly or every fortnight (2 weeks). And yes, rent a week ranges between $600-$800 a week. I earn ( $43 morning rate $47 afternoon rate, $49 Night rate) per hour on weekly basis, depending on shift I pick. Now, Saturday rate is $58 per hour and Sunday is $75 per hour. Public holiday is $95 per hour. Note, some companies pay higher than that while some pay lower. Now, assuming I work 10 hours on Sunday, (I am paid 10×75= $750 on Sunday alone. Let assume tax of 50 is taken from Sunday shift, my total take home on Sunday is $700 ( I can decide to work double shift on sunday i.e, doing 10 hours in one company and another 8-10 hours with my second company). Can't you see that my one day pay has taken care of my one week rent issue?

Note: the quotation above is for 3 bedroom flat. You can as well get two bedroom flat for between $400-$600 per week depending on your location. If you are single, what you pay is between $200-$250 per week. With that, you can even save more than expected.

Just de play.

7 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by EnglandAmaka(f): 4:34am On Apr 02
Usefulsense:

Wifey went first and I joined her later with my children

Sorry chief... Wifey went as a student and you joined her later as her dependant??

I don't understand... I didn't read your story from the beginning..

What japa route did you and your wife took? (study, tourism, work) etc..
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 4:42am On Apr 02
yungchop:

Stop capping.. you don't know shiit
are you in pain or denial ...which one
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 4:44am On Apr 02
Villa12:
bitter soul. Jealousy and envy go kill you last last.
it is not been bitter thats the reality i have seen two of my people buried in USA that is near not to talk if Australia the no eve fit come back

Una think say air ticket na beans for moi moi ..long haul
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by EnglandAmaka(f): 4:45am On Apr 02
Usefulsense:

For me measure of progress is different.
A toilet cleaner in Australia lives a much better life than the regional manager of Zenith bank in Nigeria.

You may not have been to UK 🇬🇧, but if you are asked to choose which country will you choose over the other.

I have been on this UK 🇬🇧 case for like 2 years now. Many admissions but money has always been short.

Will you choose UK 🇬🇧 or Australia 🇦🇺
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 4:50am On Apr 02
chidi4sam:

Hahahahahahaha. I really understand your frustration. Just take it easy with yourself. Life is hard but it becomes harder when you are jealous. You run your life but please, don't detect how others run theirs. We are not accountable to you.
I don port oh, I don port oh, I don port to Australia.. chop Nigeria and everything you can lay your hand on.
I can as well give you my inherited properties in Nigeria if that will make you happy..

How...I find it hard and annoying seeing Nigerian overseas doing jobs that they can't even make any headway in life ...no think say some of us don't travel the truth many Nigerians overseas regret their decision but shame no dey let them ...Bros make we no brag here

Maybe this your first trio outside Africa na why you dey jump up and down... Some of us don't even see anything bug about this...I don't dey travel sponsored by companies abeg

But I wish you luck in your Aussie but that was a wrong move trust me
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 4:53am On Apr 02
Usefulsense:

A toilet cleaner in Australia lives a much better life than the regional manager of Zenith bank in Nigeria.

That's a lie trust me ! Toilet cleaners are at the lowest rung of any career in any part of the world they can't afford basics like vacation and good access to healthcare! UK is worse that I know

I have many friends that has been in waiting list to see a doctor for weeks that's what you can't see in Nigeria

A bank manager in Nigeria is a big boy and can afford to travel and spend weeks in any country and be back ..that is what a toilet cleaner can do even in Sydney

We have ton of poor people in Australia abeg ! Don't you think some of us don't travel.

There are damn poor people everywhere in the world that's the truth just that the West have a way of covering theirs ...the USA and UK have tons of very poor people that is even worse than Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Villa12(m): 5:26am On Apr 02
AmuDimpka:
it is not been bitter thats the reality i have seen two of my people buried in USA that is near not to talk if Australia the no eve fit come back

shut up

If not for abroadians remittance many naija families go don die of Hunger. You are blessed with useless leaders so face them

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Newness2019: 5:32am On Apr 02
Usefulsense:
Last year, I sought the opinion of Nairalanders concerning my plan to move to Australia.
My major worry was my age (48) and also considering that my net salary in Nigeria was a little over a million Naira per month as the financial controller of a manufacturing company in Onitsha.

Below is the link to the thread I opened to seek peoples advice and I recommend that you go through the thread to fully appreciate
the story that follows.

[url=https://www.nairaland.com/7825207/japa-confused-please-advise][/url]. I promised to tell my story after 3 months of my stay in Australia.

I finally left Nigeria on December 7th, 2023 and arrived the country on December 9th with my children. Today, I am exactly 3 months, 2 weeks and 6 days old in Sydney, australia.

This is not a hearsay, it is not an eye witness account, it is my story.

This is intended to guide people who maybe planning to travel outside Nigeria. Should you migrate at an age over 45 or not?

Those who told me not to go are right and those who told me to travel are also right.

Given another opportunity, will I take the decision to move out of Nigeria at 48? Have I made a mistake? How am I surviving?

You will find out in this thread.

To be continued shortly .........

I THSNK GOD FOR YOU AND REJOICE WITH YOUR FAMILY. I MESSED UP AN OPPORTUNITY MANY YEARS AGO. BUT GOD IS FAITHFUL TO ME.

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Villa12(m): 5:33am On Apr 02
lacasera14:
In your wildest imagination, you think the vice president can be kidnapped in Nigeria? Is that how bad the insecurity is? Or is it the same Nigeria we both in. Don't draw such unserious analogy next time again.
even your president can be kidnap. Dey play
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Ikemba007: 6:05am On Apr 02
chidi4sam:

You are so confident displaying ignorance. Rent is paid either weekly or every fortnight (2 weeks). And yes, rent a week ranges between $600-$800 a week. I earn ( $43 morning rate $47 afternoon rate, $49 Night rate) per hour on weekly basis, depending on shift I pick. Now, Saturday rate is $58 per hour and Sunday is $75 per hour. Public holiday is $95 per hour. Note, some companies pay higher than that while some pay lower. Now, assuming I work 10 hours on Sunday, (I am paid 10×75= $750 on Sunday alone. Let assume tax of 50 is taken from Sunday shift, my total take home on Sunday is $700 ( I can decide to work double shift on sunday i.e, doing 10 hours in one company and another 8-10 hours with my second company). Can't you see that my one day pay has taken care of my one week rent issue?

Note: the quotation above is for 3 bedroom flat. You can as well get two bedroom flat for between $400-$600 per week depending on your location. If you are single, what you pay is between $200-$250 per week. With that, you can even save more than expected.

Just de play.

Well, may be I'm only biased by the fact that I cannot as a graduate reduce myself to operating a forklift just to make more money. The same reason I will never sit in the boot of a bus just because it'll cost less and leave me with extra money, and I shake my head when I see people do it. I'm sorry, this is just me but if it sits well with you to do it just because it brings more money, fine. Please continue!

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Ikemba007: 6:09am On Apr 02
Usefulsense:

There are things you will never understand until you leave Nigeria.

Those who build in Nigeria from abroad, do they send dollars to Nigeria? Don't they convert their dollar to naira?

Let me confess that part of my bias stems from the historical fact that oyinbo himself did not end the evils in his fatherland by surrendering it to evil doers and running away to another man's land. I'm sorry I don't mean to sound rude, but this is exactly my mindset.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Usefulsense: 6:40am On Apr 02
Ikemba007:

Well, may be I'm only biased by the fact that I cannot as a graduate reduce myself to operating a forklift just to make more money. The same reason I will never sit in the boot of a bus just because it'll cost less and leave me with extra money, and I shake my head when I see people do it. I'm sorry, this is just me but if it sits well with you to do it just because it brings more money, fine. Please continue!

Who told you moving abroad is all about money?

Mind you anyone that succeeded in migrating is not poor.

Your politicians are sending their children to go school abroad. Do you know why?

You president runs to France for medical treatment. Do you know why?

Here things are ordered. If you spend one week here, you will see how humans behave.

8 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 6:40am On Apr 02
Ikemba007:

The OP is a professional who can get back to his profession any time soon. All he needs is get certified by Australian standard and he is good to go. Age is not really an issue here. In as much you are still active, you can land any job of your choice. Now tell me, should he sit at home waiting until he gets certified?

Your Nigerian certificate is worthless here until you up your game. Even if you are a medical doctor and come to Australia to study, you MUST do similar jobs until you are done with your studies. There is no big deal about it at all. Most people remain poor because of their ego. When it comes to making money, I will do anything legally possible as long I will not depend on anyone to afford my basic needs in life.
Enjoy your graduate status...

11 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Acidosis(m): 6:42am On Apr 02
Usefulsense:

Why regional manager though? Why you no kuku say CEO? It's a good thing that you found your way to a 'saner clime,' but this right here is a poor mindset.

Remember that, at the end of the day, you will NEVER truly be an Australian no matter your legal/paper status in the country.

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 6:46am On Apr 02
Ikemba007:

Let me confess that part of my bias stems from the historical fact that oyinbo himself did not end the evils in his fatherland by surrendering it to evil doers and running away to another man's land. I'm sorry I don't mean to sound rude, but this is exactly my mindset.

Immigration and emigration is not a thing for Nigerians alone. The original owners of Australia are the Indigenous Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people of Australia who are black in colour and few in number. A lot of people from the UK migrated to Australia and are now the policy makers while the original owners are been sidelined. So, your priorities in life determines where you will decide to settle. It is not a thing of black or white

In Australia, most citizens here are not Aboriginals and torresl

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by DavidEsq(m): 6:47am On Apr 02
Usefulsense:
Last year, I sought the opinion of Nairalanders concerning my plan to move to Australia.
My major worry was my age (48) and also considering that my net salary in Nigeria was a little over a million Naira per month as the financial controller of a manufacturing company in Onitsha.

Below is the link to the thread I opened to seek peoples advice and I recommend that you go through the thread to fully appreciate
the story that follows.

[url=https://www.nairaland.com/7825207/japa-confused-please-advise][/url]. I promised to tell my story after 3 months of my stay in Australia.

I finally left Nigeria on December 7th, 2023 and arrived the country on December 9th with my children. Today, I am exactly 3 months, 2 weeks and 6 days old in Sydney, australia.

This is not a hearsay, it is not an eye witness account, it is my story.

This is intended to guide people who maybe planning to travel outside Nigeria. Should you migrate at an age over 45 or not?

Those who told me not to go are right and those who told me to travel are also right.

Given another opportunity, will I take the decision to move out of Nigeria at 48? Have I made a mistake? How am I surviving?

You will find out in this thread.

To be continued shortly .........

Kindly check your email.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by God2man2again(m): 7:01am On Apr 02
Good for you but sometimes too much comfort may not always be the best option in life.

Congratulations 👏
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 7:01am On Apr 02
AmuDimpka:

I am beginning to think your family is under serious satanic siege. You guys need family deliverance ASAP to cutoff all negative evil reoccurance. Only you, your family members are stranded in Australia and cannot afford flight ticket back to Nigeria. Now, another two members of your family died in US without coming home.
Who una offend? May their souls rest in peace

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Chiuzk: 7:05am On Apr 02
Mcslize:

I don't usually do this. I only felt interested to help due to his occupation. I am well grounded about this Australia migration. I am not an agent. But I am an old OG in the process. First, how old is your husband? And how many years experience does he have as a telecom Engineer?
Thank you sir
47+, and 6yrs on job
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by W0t0w0toman: 7:08am On Apr 02
AmuDimpka:
na lie! At 48 yrs you should be bothered of retirement or floating your own accounting firm ...but you didn't , you left all the connections , contact and experience to be doing forklift and warehouse jobs

Well good luck!

Ol boy, this your envy pass witchcraft o. This one na real demon masquerading as a human being. Anyways, yamayama keep falling on your dirty bald head till you get sense

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by pacespot(m): 7:17am On Apr 02
Nice thread wink, keep us posted about your Australia journey and experience.

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by jrobbins: 7:19am On Apr 02
Usefulsense:

This is not entirely true Sir.

My wife and two kids are abroad through my hustle as a bank staff since 2001 but I'm not resigning to go join them. I've got a Personal driver attached to an official vehicle. Got three lodges(none have less than 6 flats) for rent, a Fuelling station and also being involved in cashew export business. All these were gotten through contacts and connections at the bank. What better life do a cleaner in Australia have than me. The joy of being recognized and respected as a decision maker in a firm Is soothing. After spending years of reading and becoming a first class graduate of Mathematics, becoming a chartered account(ICAN), charted banker(CIBN) M.Sc in Equity and private finance, e.t.c, I'd now settle and agree a cleaner is better than me? No sir.

Life is too short to not explore and get to the top echelon. No one should be comfortable benefiting off others efforts we rather, have to try to become a benefactor to our own people and community. Off course Nigeria ain't really working 100% and that's why, even my own children are growing abroad. But sir, Nigeria isn't really that bad.

10 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Princedapace(m): 7:23am On Apr 02
rapheal5:
can I learn from you?

You can if you can pay
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Bigbrothergisth(f): 7:24am On Apr 02
chidi4sam:

Congratulations Sir. Australia 🇦🇺 will favour you. It is a great country with limitless opportunities

Moving To Australia When You Are 45 And Over

There are exceptions to most visas' age limits.

In situations like this what visa one should take as a Nigerian
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Bigbrothergisth(f): 7:25am On Apr 02
Usefulsense:
Before I commence my story, I want to specifically thank those who advised me not to travel. Your advise was borne out of genuine love and concern. One stated clearly that I should not leave known for unknown.

However, taking the bold step to leave Nigeria at the time I did was the best decision I ever made in my life. In fact, given the same scenario and even if I am 52 and my salary was #2million per month, I will still leave Nigeria.

The first 2 months was very difficult. The mistake I made was my insistence on getting accounting job. I did over 60 applications and all of them were rejected. I have no Australian experience neither do I have Australian certification.

My wifey was indeed an angle in human form. She provided the needed support. She shouldered all the financial responsibilities all by herself. This is the part that almost pushed me into depression. As an Igboman, we consider it a taboo for our women to feed, house and cloth us.

After two months, I decided it was time to re-strategize. I enrolled for a forklift training and within two week, I obtained my forklift license.
Not satisfied with that, I took some courses and did some checks that will qualify me to go into disability support work. I obtained First aid certificate, Diploma in mental health, certificate in infection prevention and control, certificate in care for the aged and disabled, police check, working with children checks, NDIS worker check, NDIS orientation certificate and many more.

I started applying for warehouse jobs. In fact, I had to reject a lot of them. I settled for one of the warehouses and it has been awesome working for the organization.

I have not gotten what I am looking for yet. I am using the warehouse to keep body and soul together. In the warehouse where I work, you will see people of different ages. from 18 years to 65 years working and making a good living. in Australia, there is always something to do.

The only thing I miss, is the big man mentality we have in Nigeria. Where I will sit in my office, call one of my staff in intercom and ask for a cup of coffee; and it will be brought to me in seconds. You can't try that rubbish here.

The level of security here is top notch. I have no fear, i move about anytime of the day/night.

After one week in Australia, I concluded that Nigeria is a completely lawless country and an animal jungle. Here everything is ordered. I am yet to hear a driver blow his car horn while driving. There are no touts, there are no omoniles. Electricity has never blinked for one second. water is constant, gas is there. I have never seen two persons fighting in the street. I have never seen a mad man or woman on the road or street beggars. The air we breath here is different from the air we breath in Nigeria.

It was in Australia that I realized that the saying in Nigeria that Nigerian police is your friend is actually true. Break the law in Nigeria and police catches you, just give them #2,000 you are off the hook. And the circle of lawlessness continues. Here, it is a different ball game. Proposing bribe will be used as evidence against you. It doesn't matter who you are. Every one is civil.

While in Nigeria I suffered malaria every month. There is no month I don't treat malaria. Since I got to this country, I have never had headache let alone malaria.

Children are doing wonderfully well at school and are already speaking through their nose.

In conclusion, I made the best choice. Even though I have not really found the kind of job I want to do, the little I am doing now contributes in paying bills and I have savings more than my monthly gross per month in Nigeria.

If you are above 45 years and have your partner already in this country, and you are an employee of a company, it is in your best interest to leave Nigeria. Provided, of course, that you are healthy and you are not lazy.

One dark side to moving abroad is that you have more chances of being divorced by your wife. This is a story for another day as I have gathered enough reason on why families divorce and will create a thread on this someday.

I am open to any question you may have.

Moving To Australia When You Are 45 And Over

There are exceptions to most visas' age limits.

In situations like this what visa one should take as a Nigerian

Please answer 🥺

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (26) (Reply)

Beautiful Places Around The World(Photos) / See What This Foreign Photographer Said She Saw On A Train From LAGOS To KANO / Airport Official Catches Man Packaged As Yam Inside A Carton (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.