Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,518 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far (65655 Views)

How I Migrated To From Nigeria To Portugal / Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? / MOTIVATION | DEMOTIVATION - Immigrating To Canada - Our Story So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Treadway: 9:33am On Apr 03
NuCypher:

I take it back. Was just a sorry outburst
kudos.

You be big name for here too. I have also edited my quote.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by DrAkpamudehe: 9:45am On Apr 03
Usefulsense:

I completed 2 months in Australia on February 9th 2024.

I got an accounting role through my partners contact. The conditions were spelt out to me but I rejected it.

Within 2 week I got my forklift licence because I did forklift training in Nigeria before coming to Aussie.

Here we are paid every week. Or do you want to see my 6 weeks payslips?

I made a lifelong decision to quit Nigeria and I succeeded irrespective of age.

The reason why I brought this story here is because a lot of people told me to document my experience and share on Nairaland.
Go read my first thread asking for peoples opinion before leaving Nigeria.

Alot of people center their argument on N1m salary per month. The truth is that even if my salary in Nigeria was 2million per month, I would still have moved.

It is my decision and so far, it is the best thing that ever happened to me and will continue to be.

You go explain tire. Lol
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 10:55am On Apr 03
VAPatrick:

Accounting principles are the same everywhere in the world. Have you heard of GAAP?
they are not

Some use IFRS ... international Financial Reporting Standards. Like European countries while others don't

Please make we talk wetin we know

There are different accounting standards that apply to institutions within the U.S. and internationally, including:
GAAP.
IFRS.
FASB.
IFRS Foundation. ...
IASB.
SEC.
AICPA.
GASB.

Some of us ain't stupid you know...that dude is telling lies . It will take him years to adapt to Australian financial standards he must past exams ...we use IFRS 9 here in Nigeria
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by gforce5: 11:21am On Apr 03
Egbon (Senior), congrats. Even though I've argued against people 40+ migrating, with the way Nigeria is now, it doesn't matter anymore. Nigeria is an economically unstable country. You just don't know what to expect. You are doing the best for your family. I hope that your children will appreciate the sacrifices you are making for them. Don't listen to all the negative commentators. These lots think that everything is about money. They don't understand what it's like to live in a functional society. Most Nigerians living in Nigeria think that being a big man in a small pond is normal.

8 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Usefulsense: 11:22am On Apr 03
AmuDimpka:
they are not

Some use IFRS ... international Financial Reporting Standards. Like European countries while others don't

There are different accounting standards that apply to institutions within the U.S. and internationally, including:
GAAP.
IFRS.
FASB.
IFRS Foundation. ...
IASB.
SEC.
AICPA.
GASB.

Some of us ain't stupid you know...that dude is telling lies . It will take him years to adapt to Australian financial standards he must past exams ...we use IFRS 9 here in Nigeria

You have just displayed your stark ignorance by listing standard setting bodies such as FASB and IASB as standards that apply to institutions in US.

You further exposed your inexperience by making spurious claim that US companies apply IFRS in financial reportage. For your information, US has not adopted IFRS as issued by IASB. While there are ongoing attempt to harmonize grey areas between US GAAP (as issued by FASB and SEC) and IFRS, the project has not been completed.

You made mockery of yourself when you said Nigeria uses IFRS 9.

Australia fully adopted IFRS some years back.

You said I am lying. I completed my certificate evaluation with CPA Australia and the outcome was issued to me before I came into the country. I have been given six paper to write to become a CPA certified Accountant. If I had ANAN, it would have been much easier for me.

I will advice you to stop constituting nuisance in every thread on Nairaland. I am working in the warehouse today does not mean I will be in the warehouse tomorrow. For your information, I came to Australia prepared.

Apart from those who came in here though sponsorship, almost everyone that came in through student visa started with warehouse job.

Try, as hard as it may be, to respect peoples opinion and decision.

13 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Ikemba007: 12:25pm On Apr 03
So because I'm not trying to run away to where other humans have sacrificed to create an order in their fatherland, you say I'm not patriotic?

rapheal5:

It's obvious you are not feeling the hardship in nigeria, and you are also not patriotic enough to lead by example so that the masses can follow to fight the blood sucking zombie who don't care about the masses... You have no right/opinion to talk against Japa people....
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by rapheal5(m): 12:51pm On Apr 03
Ikemba007:
So because I'm not trying to run away to where other humans have sacrificed to create an order in their fatherland, you say I'm not patriotic?

You didn't get the point, if you want people to create an order in their fatherland it must be a land where the rulers have the love of mankind at heart. where they really want the system to work not a land full of lameduck with greed running in their dna who turn politics to a do or die affair. Tell me one thing you benefit as a citizen of this country...

2 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by VAPatrick: 3:00pm On Apr 03
AmuDimpka:
they are not

GAAP.
IFRS.
FASB.
IFRS Foundation. ...
IASB.
SEC.
AICPA.
GASB.

The post I responded to said accounting principles are different. I only used GAAP as an example there. Now you're talking of accounting standards. Accounting principles and standards are not the same. Accounting principles are same everywhere in the world. You can verify that. I studied accounting for my first degree, so I am not responding with information gotten from the internet. An accountant in Nigeria will have no problem adapting in Australia, he'll only need to understand how the taxes work.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by maternal: 4:15pm On Apr 03
chukxie:
Congratulations! Here's wishing you and your family all the best in Australia.

It's sad that our leaders travel abroad, they see how organized the countries they visit are, yet they do nothing to improve the Iives of Nigerians. It's mind-boggling. Honestly speaking, sometimes I can't help thinking that something is inherently wrong with black people especially our rudderless leaders, and their praise- singers. If you've never been outside of Nigeria,you'd never know how grossly messed up Nigeria is.

No, Nigerians in Nigerian are messed. A Nigerian leader is nothing but a Nigerian citizen who has the means to steal public funds. The non Nigerian leaders would do the same the second they're in Power. Stop only bashing the leaders. Bash the future leaders waiting in line to loot as well.

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by maternal: 4:25pm On Apr 03
AmuDimpka:

At 48yrs that you were at the top of your accounting career earning good money in Nigeria, you spent millions to travel to Australia only to go and be learning forklifting and mental health and care giving job at 48yrs when you should be planning retirement

I know say na your wife push you into this...most of the men na their wives dey

I wish you luck sir ....they way it is you will work till your 70s! How do you guys even take such decision

Typical Nigerian mentality. Penny wise, pound foolish. He saves more per month, with a higher purchasing power with the Australia dollar. He also enjoys running water, electricity, SAFETY, and peace of mind.

Work to 70 ? In due time his children will be graduates with good paying JOBS. Something a typical Nigerian graduate could only dream off. They'll take care of him, as they'll have the means.

Even at retirement age. The government will take good care of him. He'd get his pension EVERY MONTH AND ON TIME. He'll have access to top notch health care. Bad Belle. His life has improved. Naija you'll be old, not get your pension, no good medical care, etc. In fact it's a miracle if you make it to your retirement age healthy.

8 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by maternal: 4:56pm On Apr 03
Akorkor:
I like the OP attitude and the land will be a land of honey and milk for you. One step at a time, no need to rush..

To the rest defending the country that is currently in the list of every bad things that can happen to the world, well done o!

Do you even know that the average life span in Nigeria is 53? Nigeria is second in the list. https://www.statista.com/statistics/274521/countries-with-the-lowest-life-expectancy-worldwide/

Do you know that healthy living is staying in your home with no thinking of buying diesel to pump water?
Do you know that healthy living is staying in your home without thinking of buying diesel to have ordinary electricity
Little things like these makes the world a better place and living well. You think Nigeria is good at the moment, then you are one of the problem

This is why people abroad laugh at pro Nigerians in Nigeria. Imagine someone talking about retirement when the life expectancy is 53. If this man stayed in Nigeria, he'd have 5 years left on average. You'll literally work till you die in Nigeria. If you can even land a job.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Exceed15: 5:17pm On Apr 03
I m happy for you. May your stay there be fruitful. Congratulations.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by maternal: 6:29pm On Apr 03
Evolutionism:

Lol you are very funny.

What concerns an average Nigerian with Quality Life. Beings who breathe in and out black goo and redmud dusty Air coupled with extreme Hot Sun frying their empty brains, Eat low graded and dirty foods, Put on fake clothes with extreme pungent body odour.

Most of these Babooons haven't even heard the word before talkless of knowing what Quality Life is.

You are talking Quality Life with people who live in SLUMs. Even Victoria Island, Lekki, Abuja et all are Upgraded SLUMs.

The whole country is a Great SLUM.

The body odour in that country needs to be addressed. Honestly !

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by maternal: 6:32pm On Apr 03
jconsulting:
The only thing that annoys me about some of the idiots that travel abroad is how they speak ill of their motherland, calling Nigeria unprintable names, whereas is the same Nigeria you made the money to travel out.

No matter how long you stay there , they will still refer to your children as Nigerian-born Australia.

Nigeria Will be Great God bless Nigeria

As long as the AUSTRALIAN is there. That's all they care about. What's the advantages of only being a Nigerian ?
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 7:06pm On Apr 03
Mcslize:

I am yet to get my assessment. I am on it. On with my CDRs. Been gathering my documents.

Oh. Wish you success.

Mcslize:

Yeah. The Importance is that once they obtain full signatory under the Washington accord, Engineers from Nigeria won't be going through the process of writing career episodes.

They will just submit documents straight up without writing career episodes to demonstrate their competencies.

Wow. That would be incredible if they manage to pull this off. I'm optimistic about it. Let's see how it goes.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 8:49pm On Apr 03
maternal:

Typical Nigerian mentality. Penny wise, pound foolish. He saves more per month, with a higher purchasing power with the Australia dollar. He also enjoys running water, electricity, SAFETY, and peace of mind.

Work to 70 ? In due time his children will be graduates with good paying JOBS. Something a typical Nigerian graduate could only dream off. They'll take care of him, as they'll have the means.

Even at retirement age. The government will take good care of him. He'd get his pension EVERY MONTH AND ON TIME. He'll have access to top notch health care. Bad Belle. His life has improved. Naija you'll be old, not get your pension, no good medical care, etc. In fact it's a miracle if you make it to your retirement age healthy.
saves more per month...what is wrong with you guys with this mentality of converting foriegn money to naira as if say na naira yiu dey spend

Oga not every one dey that lane ..some of us don't work for people sir....we are our own bosses manage our pensions funds ourselves

Dude if you want travel feels free but stop converting dollars cos no be naira you go spend overseas
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 8:50pm On Apr 03
VAPatrick:

The post I responded to said accounting principles are different. I only used GAAP as an example there. Now you're talking of accounting standards. Accounting principles and standards are not the same. Accounting principles are same everywhere in the world. You can verify that. I studied accounting for my first degree, so I am not responding with information gotten from the internet. An accountant in Nigeria will have no problem adapting in Australia, he'll only need to understand how the taxes work.
accounting standards are never the same all over the world
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 8:51pm On Apr 03
Usefulsense:

You have just displayed your stark ignorance by listing standard setting bodies such as FASB and IASB as standards that apply to institutions in US.

You further exposed your inexperience by making spurious claim that US companies apply IFRS in financial reportage. For your information, US has not adopted IFRS as issued by IASB. While there are ongoing attempt to harmonize grey areas between US GAAP (as issued by FASB and SEC) and IFRS, the project has not been completed.

You made mockery of yourself when you said Nigeria uses IFRS 9.

Australia fully adopted IFRS some years back.

You said I am lying. I completed my certificate evaluation with CPA Australia and the outcome was issued to me before I came into the country. I have been given six paper to write to become a CPA certified Accountant. If I had ANAN, it would have been much easier for me.

I will advice you to stop constituting nuisance in every thread on Nairaland. I am working in the warehouse today does not mean I will be in the warehouse tomorrow. For your information, I came to Australia prepared.

Apart from those who came in here though sponsorship, almost everyone that came in through student visa started with warehouse job.

Try, as hard as it may be, to respect peoples opinion and decision.

Clown get a life

Accounting standards differ from country to country that is the basics of the arguement

Stop making noise
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by VAPatrick: 9:06pm On Apr 03
AmuDimpka:

Stop confusing yourself. Accounting standards is different from accounting principles. Accounting standards differ, while accounting principles are the same. The original comment I replied to said accounting principles are different. I corrected him by stating that they are the same. You were the first person to mention accounting standards on this thread.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by VAPatrick: 9:07pm On Apr 03
AmuDimpka:

If I may ask, what’s you accounting qualification or experience?
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Poshpee: 10:34pm On Apr 03
Phew! See negativity over someone's life decision for moving out of this lawless and nonsense country called NIGERIA.

The people insulting the OP are sadist, wicked, lack sense of reasoning, gullible, mediocres, foolish, and poverty minded.

Some of you raining abuses on him, cannot even travel of this zoo(NIGERIA) that's why you are so painned. Jealous naim go finish una.

If you come for me, i go give you anyway. I be fully blooded Ijaw and remember "ijaw youth dey beat".

OP, thanks for sharing this, may God bless you and your family.

9 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Raph82(m): 11:59pm On Apr 03
VAPatrick:
Someone who hasn't travelled outside Nigeria will never understand. There is no basis for comparison between Nigeria and a developed country. In terms of everything, I mean everything, countries like Australia, UK and Canada are way ahead of Nigeria. Having said that, the decision to relinquish one's job as a manager in Nigeria for a low level job (e.g. forklift operator) in Australia is personal, which we should all respect. Besides, no one migrates with the primary objective of taking up a cleaning or fork lift operator job. For most people already at the middle or top level of their careers, they take up these jobs to survive, pending when they land their ideal jobs.

For me, if I am to choose between being a bank manager in Nigeria and forklift operator in Australia, I'll go with the latter. As a forklift operator in Australia, I will live a good life and provide a better future for my children. Even if I decide to return to Nigeria after 25 to 30 years, I'll live very comfortably, far better than I would have, had I been a bank manager.

To reiterate, no basis for comparison, and respect people's decisions. Shalom!
Nairaland has always been a faceless forum. All these people criticizing other people's decisions, deep within them, they know what they're passing through, they only come here to pretend as if all is well, all is not well with them, because the economic & security situations here is so volatile and unstable. U can not predict what tomorrow may bring.
* If Nigerians living in Australia cannot afford flight ticket to fly to naija, then I wonder where my cousin is getting the money to fly to Naija often for the Holy Ghost night at the RCCG camp. She's the church type.
* Some of them were furious about the fact that a cleaner or factory worker in Australia is by far living a better life than a bank manager in Naija, isn't it the naked truth? How come bank managers took advantage of the Emefiele's policies that time to defraud the system and pack their families abroad to start new life? We were all here when it happened. If they were comfortable with life, they won't take such actions. Former CMD at OAUTH relocated abroad with his family without second thought.
* One was talking of retirement at 60 or so in Nigeria, what is even the average life expectancy of Nigerians? 54years, how many Nigerians manage to get to 60 or 65 years before their health begins to fail them?

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by okomoney: 3:25am On Apr 04
i want to do it my self bro. things are very expensive at the moment i don't have money for agent. share your number so we can talk better bro. i need ideals on step by step process.

Mcslize:

If you have qualification in a stem course, you can. If you have job experience in a good occupation, you can. Which one do you have? I will guide you.

Like me now, I will be migrating to Australia latest 2026 with my Engineering degree as a young man in his mid 30th. I am already on the process.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 6:13am On Apr 04
VAPatrick:

If I may ask, what’s you accounting qualification or experience?
...and so you want us to measure dicks ?

Bros I no get that Una time...I tell you truth and move on
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AmuDimpka: 6:16am On Apr 04
VAPatrick:

Stop confusing yourself. Accounting standards is different from accounting principles. Accounting standards differ, while accounting principles are the same. The original comment I replied to said accounting principles are different. I corrected him by stating that they are the same. You were the first person to mention accounting standards on this thread.

You are still disgracing yourself in public even at that apart from standards we have different accounting principles and they are not the same Oga

Some of the most fundamental accounting principles include the following:
Accrual principle.
Conservatism principle.
Consistency principle.
Cost principle.
Economic entity principle.
Full disclosure principle.
Going concern principle.
Matching principle

I am done lecturing you
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Darien4: 7:30am On Apr 04
Pls, can you share the procedure with me?

Mcslize:

If you have qualification in a stem course, you can. If you have job experience in a good occupation, you can. Which one do you have? I will guide you.

Like me now, I will be migrating to Australia latest 2026 with my Engineering degree as a young man in his mid 30th. I am already on the process.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by VAPatrick: 7:41am On Apr 04
AmuDimpka:

You are still disgracing yourself in public even at that apart from standards we have different accounting principles and they are not the same Oga

Some of the most fundamental accounting principles include the following:
Accrual principle.
Conservatism principle.
Consistency principle.
Cost principle.
Economic entity principle.
Full disclosure principle.
Going concern principle.
Matching principle

I am done lecturing you

Okay, since accounting principles are different, are you saying that accrual principle for instance, in Nigeria is different from accrual principle in the US? Why am I even asking you? Apparently, you don’t know what each of them mean, since you copied them from the net or generated with ChatGPT.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Treadway: 9:40am On Apr 04
Raph82:
Nairaland has always been a faceless forum. All these people criticizing other people's decisions, deep within them, they know what they're passing through, they only come here to pretend as if all is well, all is not well with them, because the economic & security situations here is so volatile and unstable. U can not predict what tomorrow may bring.
* If Nigerians living in Australia cannot afford flight ticket to fly to naija, then I wonder where my cousin is getting the money to fly to Naija often for the Holy Ghost night at the RCCG camp. She's the church type.
* Some of them were furious about the fact that a cleaner or factory worker in Australia is by far living a better life than a bank manager in Naija, isn't it the naked truth? How come bank managers took advantage of the Emefiele's policies that time to defraud the system and pack their families abroad to start new life? We were all here when it happened. If they were comfortable with life, they won't take such actions. Former CMD at OAUTH relocated abroad with his family without second thought.
* One was talking of retirement at 60 or so in Nigeria, what is even the average life expectancy of Nigerians? 54years, how many Nigerians manage to get to 60 or 65 years before their health begins to fail them?
na so o. We know. Really sucks to be you🤣
Even the pets there are all better than you. They get endless treats/food, have access to clean air, emergency services and are routinely checked by world-class vets.💯

Weird takes...Na so you dey lecture me on my own dollar stash the other time. Oh well!
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Raph82(m): 11:03am On Apr 04
Treadway:
na so o. We know. Really sucks to be you🤣
Even the pets there are all better than you. They get endless treats/food, have access to clean air, emergency services and are routinely checked by world-class vets.💯

Weird takes...Na so you dey lecture me on my own dollar stash the other time. Oh well!

Mr dollar hoarder, how's ur business going?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Treadway: 11:28am On Apr 04
Raph82:
Mr dollar hoarder, how's ur business going?
businesses actually

We are still a going concern, despite the tumultuous business environment. Thanks for asking.

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 2:22pm On Apr 04
Darien4:
Pls, can you share the procedure with me?

Follow this thread below and read the first 20 pages:

https://www.nairaland.com/4478747/diy-guide-australian-permanent-resident
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 2:23pm On Apr 04
okomoney:
i want to do it my self bro. things are very expensive at the moment i don't have money for agent. share your number so we can talk better bro. i need ideals on step by step process.

Read the first 20 pages of this thread below. Start from page 1-20:

https://www.nairaland.com/4478747/diy-guide-australian-permanent-resident

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

I Need Directions Please. / Tricycle Driver Gives His Keke Napep A Luxurious Design (Photo, Video) / A Mobile SUV With A Woman On Top Of It Spotted On The Road (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.