Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,506 members, 7,836,955 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far (67807 Views)

How I Migrated To From Nigeria To Portugal / Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? / MOTIVATION | DEMOTIVATION - Immigrating To Canada - Our Story So Far (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 1:04pm On Apr 02
Chiuzk:

Thank you sir
47+, and 6yrs on job

Ok. He has exceeded the maximum allowable age for the Australia skilled migration. The only route for him now is visa 482 job sponsorship. This doesn't actually come that easy though. But there is no wrong in trying.

He can put up application on Australia jobs sites and look for employers to sponsor him.

He can also try and look for those in his occupation who are residing in Australia to recommend him for jobs sponsorship over there. I know of a one man who got sponsored through this process. One of his friends recommended him in his office in Australia, and he was sponsored right from Nigeria on visa 482.

However, if that doesn't work, if you have qualification or experience in a good occupation, and your age is below 45, you can choose to go ahead with the usual migration process while your husband become the dependant.

If all these options fail, if there is funds, then the only route is through study for you, which is the same process OP use for his wife whom he later joined. Try and discuss these with your hubby first so you guys can put heads to together. Nothing is impossible!

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 1:07pm On Apr 02
Usefulsense:

My candid answer is marry a good woman. Look for a nurse or a nursing student. Thank me when you get to Australia.

I see! Thanks.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 1:10pm On Apr 02
chidi4sam:

Nigerians are really doing fine here. Recently a Nigerian born rose up to the office of Audit General of NSW government. We have a lot of Nigerians who own companies here but they all came as nobody. Today, they are big shots.

Wonderful!
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by TNORWAY: 1:27pm On Apr 02
maasoap:

You might need to walk across the length and breath of Nigeria before you come across any other soul who's smarter than me. Ain't joking
Tinubu has traveled wide..... still he is a fo0ool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by maasoap(m): 1:30pm On Apr 02
TNORWAY:
Tinubu has traveled wide..... still he is a fo0ool
I didn't tell you I'm a traveller, dunce
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by TNORWAY: 1:32pm On Apr 02
maasoap:

I didn't tell I'm a traveller, dunce
rest
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Love800(m): 3:21pm On Apr 02
Hello.
There is no menial jobs in australia?
chidi4sam:

That is the conclusion of the whole matter.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by DEBJOCH1(m): 3:50pm On Apr 02
I SEE HOW IRRATIONAL SOME KIDS ARE HERE, VOMITING TRASH. MAN, CONGRATULATION YOU HAVE JUST DONE THE BEST THING IN LIFE, BEST DECISION EVER TAKEN BY A WISE MAN, IF YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU YOU JUST DID, EVEN IF YOU DON’T APPRECIATE YOUR DECISION, YOUR CHILDREN IN THE NEXT 10 TO 20 YEARS TO COME, WILL REMEMBER THE RISK, THE HARSH, THE HARD DECISION YOU TOOK, AND WILL SAY, "GOD BLESS DADDY FOR RELOCATING TO AUSTRALIA AS AT WHEN HE DID.

YOU HAVE JUST SECURED THE FUTURE OF YOUR CHILDREN IF YOU DON’T KNOW I AM LETTING YOU KNOW THAT NOW, EVEN WITH N2M JOB NOW IN NAIJA, JAPA WILL STILL BE MY PORTION, I WILL HAVE TO DO THAT FOR MY CHILDREN'S FUTURE AND NOT NECESSARILY FOR MY SAKE.

ONCE AGAIN, CONGRATULATION SIR. LET THE TALKATIVE KEEP TALKING TRASH, THE FACT REMAINS THAT YOU HAVE MOVED ON AND LEFT THEM IN DARKNESS AND HARSH ECONOMIC REALITIES.

5 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by NuCypher: 3:51pm On Apr 02
jrobbins:

This is not entirely true Sir.

My wife and two kids are abroad through my hustle as a bank staff since 2001 but I'm not resigning to go join them. I've got a Personal driver attached to an official vehicle. Got three lodges(none have less than 6 flats) for rent, a Fuelling station and also being involved in cashew export business. All these were gotten through contacts and connections at the bank. What better life do a cleaner in Australia have than me. The joy of being recognized and respected as a decision maker in a firm Is soothing. After spending years of reading and becoming a first class graduate of Mathematics, becoming a chartered account(ICAN), charted banker(CIBN) M.Sc in Equity and private finance, e.t.c, I'd now settle and agree a cleaner is better than me? No sir.

Life is too short to not explore and get to the top echelon. No one should be comfortable benefiting off others efforts we rather, have to try to become a benefactor to our own people and community. Off course Nigeria ain't really working 100% and that's why, even my own children are growing abroad. But sir, Nigeria isn't really that bad.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Treadway: 4:22pm On Apr 02
NuCypher:

this is wrong.

Let's be courteous pls. You should apologize to him, unless you saw him stealing.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Chiuzk: 4:27pm On Apr 02
Mcslize:

Ok. He has exceeded the maximum allowable age for the Australia skilled migration. The only route for him now is visa 482 job sponsorship. This doesn't actually come that easy though. But there is no wrong in trying.

He can put up application on Australia jobs sites and look for employers to sponsor him.

He can also try and look for those in his occupation who are residing in Australia to recommend him for jobs sponsorship over there. I know of a one man who got sponsored through this process. One of his friends recommended him in his office in Australia, and he was sponsored right from Nigeria on visa 482.

However, if that doesn't work, if you have qualification or experience in a good occupation, and your age is below 45, you can choose to go ahead with the usual migration process while your husband become the dependant.

If all these options fail, if there is funds, then the only route is through study for you, which is the same process OP use for his wife whom he later joined. Try and discuss these with your hubby first so you guys can put heads to together. Nothing is impossible!
Thank you so much..this is a good guide and valuable information to us. We will try all the options you have mentioned. Although I really don't fancy living abroad for me to try the education route, (I wish is something I will apply and if visa is given to me, I will return home while he being my dependant stays back--smiles, and our children can go after their secondary schools if they wish). I prefer running my business here and going abroad for vacation if fate allows it. He is the one who has this strong desire to base overseas. What can I do, other than to support his dreams...all the same, thank you for being extremely helpful. God bless you sir. I will show him all these comments and mentions, he too is a member of this forum. Thank you once again sir, and bye.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Princedapace(m): 5:22pm On Apr 02
rapheal5:

How much?
Frontend development, 150k
Backend 150k
If you want fullstack 250k which is both backend and frontend.
If u want mobile development, 300k
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by esamade(f): 6:16pm On Apr 02
chidi4sam:

Nigerians in Australia are truly helpful I must confess. There is no tribalism here like we see in our home country. Infact, it was a Yoruba who helped me ( Igbo man) and my family to settle down faster. The family housed my wife for 5 months without collecting rent and also fed her for free until I came me. I failed to mention that I am working with one company owned by a Yoruba man. Immediately he saw me in church, he asked if I am willing to work in his organisation. That's all

I’ve heard this same thing about Nigerians in Australia. God bless them.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by esamade(f): 6:34pm On Apr 02
Usefulsense:

Please, respect people's choices. Money is not the only reason why people travel. Besides someone who spent over 30 million to move his family out of Nigeria cannot be said to be a poor man.

The #1million salary is in a private company where you can be relieved of your duties at any time.

I had a friend about the same age with me in lagos. He lost his job and the chief Accountant of a company in Ikeja. In three years, he has not been able to secure another job.

He now drive a taxi in lagos. When started my migration pla, I told him but he saw it as stupidity.

Last month we discussed, he wished he had moved the way I did. He was contemplating selling his land to commence the process.

I told him I didn't sell anything. That it will be unwise fir him to sell his only asset in Nigeria.

Yes abroad is not easy, you work for money. But Nigeria is not easier. The level of unemployment in Nigeria and Australia van never be compared. You can compare unemployment in Nigeria with that of Ghana.

Been reading up on this thread and I must commend you for taking the step you felt was best for you. It was your choice to make it and it worked out well for you. You do not owe anyone any explanation on how you choose to live your life. Congratulations and well done, sir.

4 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by esamade(f): 6:51pm On Apr 02
chidi4sam:

You are so confident displaying ignorance. Rent is paid either weekly or every fortnight (2 weeks). And yes, rent a week ranges between $600-$800 a week. I earn ( $43 morning rate $47 afternoon rate, $49 Night rate) per hour on weekly basis, depending on shift I pick. Now, Saturday rate is $58 per hour and Sunday is $75 per hour. Public holiday is $95 per hour. Note, some companies pay higher than that while some pay lower. Now, assuming I work 10 hours on Sunday, (I am paid 10×75= $750 on Sunday alone. Let assume tax of 50 is taken from Sunday shift, my total take home on Sunday is $700 ( I can decide to work double shift on sunday i.e, doing 10 hours in one company and another 8-10 hours with my second company). Can't you see that my one day pay has taken care of my one week rent issue?

Note: the quotation above is for 3 bedroom flat. You can as well get two bedroom flat for between $400-$600 per week depending on your location. If you are single, what you pay is between $200-$250 per week. With that, you can even save more than expected.

Just de play.

Can we chat please?

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 6:52pm On Apr 02
Chiuzk:

Thank you so much..this is a good guide and valuable information to us. We will try all the options you have mentioned. Although I really don't fancy living abroad for me to try the education route, (I wish is something I will apply and if visa is given to me, I will return home while he being my dependant stays back--smiles, and our children can go after their secondary schools if they wish). I prefer running my business here and going abroad for vacation if fate allows it. He is the one who has this strong desire to base overseas. What can I do, other than to support his dreams...all the same, thank you for being extremely helpful. God bless you sir. I will show him all these comments and mentions, he too is a member of this forum. Thank you once again sir, and bye.

You're welcome.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 8:10pm On Apr 02
Mcslize:

You're welcome.

Been seeing your post. I pray you get your nomination by the grace of God.

I too also have the dream to immigrate to Australia some day. It's been my long ride dream lol. And I pray it come to pass.

I assume you have gotten your assessment from EA. just saw that Nigeria has gotten a provisional signatury to the Washington Accord. Tho it's not full signatory yet. But I hope they attain it by the time I graduate.

Tho I don't know the impact of that yet sha(attaining full signatory). But I hope it's turns out for the best.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Mcslize: 8:33pm On Apr 02
Abdulquadrimuha:

Been seeing your post. I pray you get your nomination by the grace of God.

I too also have the dream to immigrate to Australia some day. It's been my long ride dream lol. And I pray it come to pass.

I assume you have gotten your assessment from EA. just saw that Nigeria has gotten a provisional signatury to the Washington Accord. Tho it's not full signatory yet. But I hope they attain it by the time I graduate.

Tho I don't know the impact of that yet sha(attaining full signatory). But I hope it's turns out for the best.

I am yet to get my assessment. I am on it. On with my CDRs. Been gathering my documents.

Yeah. The Importance is that once they obtain full signatory under the Washington accord, Engineers from Nigeria won't be going through the process of writing career episodes.

They will just submit documents straight up without writing career episodes to demonstrate their competencies.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by AjalaDtraveller(f): 8:43pm On Apr 02
Usefulsense:

The man who inducted me in the warehouse where I work is 65. He is a made man. He told me he comes around to work because there is no one to stay at home with.

This man has about two houses he receives rent from every week. The rent is enough to pay his bills for life.

As per accounting work, I already rejected one because they wanted me to sign an undertaking that I will never leave before completing one year.

The pay they offered is exactly what I'm earning in the warehouse. I made it clear that if I must sign the undertaking, I will need at least 10Aud on top of my current earnings.

Bros, I will move into accounting before the end of April. Some recruitment firms are already on my case.

However, if I don't get it, I'm already doing better than I was doing while in Nigeria.

Your stories don't add up. Inconsistencies here and there. You initially said in your first 2 months you were rejected for accounting jobs now you say you are the one rejecting it. Without knowing the accounting principles of a particular country you know you can't jump into any role as an accountant. Plus you claimed to live in Australia for just 3 months during which 2 months was unsuccessful job search, another 2 weeks of forklift certification. So which means you haven't even got any paycheck yet. How can you compare life as an accountant in Nigeria to someone working shifts carrying and picking cartons in a warehouse, with the associated body pain that comes with such low skilled low paying jobs. Some of us here have lived in the western world and we know exactly how things work, you can only f*ool those who haven't left Nigeria or you are not being truthful about earning a million naira per month.

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by greenermodels: 8:59pm On Apr 02
Usefulsense:

My candid answer is marry a good woman. Look for a nurse or a nursing student. Thank me when you get to Australia.
Baba, is your wife a nurse? I'm contemplating coming through the study route asa qualified teacher
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by chidi4sam(m): 9:28pm On Apr 02
esamade:

Can we chat please?

Sure. Dm
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by VAPatrick: 9:36pm On Apr 02
AjalaDtraveller:
Your stories don't add up. Inconsistencies here and there. You initially said in your first 2 months you were rejected for accounting jobs now you say you are the one rejecting it. Without knowing the accounting principles of a particular country you know you can't jump into any role as an accountant. Plus you claimed to live in Australia for just 3 months during which 2 months was unsuccessful job search, another 2 weeks of forklift certification. So which means you haven't even got any paycheck yet. How can you compare life as an accountant in Nigeria to someone working shifts carrying and picking cartons in a warehouse, with the associated body pain that comes with such low skilled low paying jobs. Some of us here have lived in the western world and we know exactly how things work, you can only f*ool those who haven't left Nigeria or you are not being truthful about earning a million naira per month.

Accounting principles are the same everywhere in the world. Have you heard of GAAP?

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by rapheal5(m): 10:42pm On Apr 02
Princedapace:

Frontend development, 150k
Backend 150k
If you want fullstack 250k which is both backend and frontend.
If u want mobile development, 300k
I can't afford it for now....Thanks

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Princedapace(m): 11:11pm On Apr 02
rapheal5:

I can't afford it for now....Thanks

Alright bro . U may check Udemy for cheaper courses and worth it too if u can dedicate
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Ikemba007: 11:17pm On Apr 02
Not so much about skin colour, but about the fact that the white man being mentioned did not set out to go and enjoy the enjoyment created in Australia. He set out to create the system that gave rise to the present enjoyment in Australia. We should learn from the white man not to be running upandan in search of a set system that we can only enjoy.

chidi4sam:

Immigration and emigration is not a thing for Nigerians alone. The original owners of Australia are the Indigenous Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people of Australia who are black in colour and few in number. A lot of people from the UK migrated to Australia and are now the policy makers while the original owners are been sidelined. So, your priorities in life determines where you will decide to settle. It is not a thing of black or white

In Australia, most citizens here are not Aboriginals and torresl

1 Like

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Usefulsense: 11:17pm On Apr 02
AjalaDtraveller:

You have comprehension problems.

I completed 2 months in Australia on February 9th 2024.

I got an accounting role through my partners contact. The conditions was spelt out to me but I rejected it.

Within 2 week I got my forklift licence because I did forklift training in Nigeria before coming to Aussie.

Here we are paid every week. Or do you want to see my 6 weeks payslips?

I made a lifelong decision to quit Nigeria and I succeeded irrespective of age.

The reason why I brought this story here is because a lot of people told me to document my experience and share on Nairaland.
Go read my first thread asking for peoples opinion before leaving Nigeria.

Alot of people center their argument on N1m salary per month. The truth is that even if my salary in Nigeria was 2million per month, I would still have moved.

It is my decision and so far, it is the best thing that ever happened to me.

8 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Ikemba007: 11:21pm On Apr 02
No vex o, but this order was created by human beings. Personally, I think man's mission should be more than just searching for where enjoyment abounds.

Usefulsense:

Who told you moving abroad is all about money?

Mind you anyone that succeeded in migrating is not poor.

Your politicians are sending their children to go school abroad. Do you know why?

You president runs to France for medical treatment. Do you know why?

Here things are ordered. If you spend one week here, you will see how humans behave.
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by Usefulsense: 11:21pm On Apr 02
AjalaDtraveller:

I completed 2 months in Australia on February 9th 2024.

I got an accounting role through my partners contact. The conditions were spelt out to me but I rejected it.

Within 2 week I got my forklift licence because I did forklift training in Nigeria before coming to Aussie.

Here we are paid every week. Or do you want to see my 6 weeks payslips?

I made a lifelong decision to quit Nigeria and I succeeded irrespective of age.

The reason why I brought this story here is because a lot of people told me to document my experience and share on Nairaland.
Go read my first thread asking for peoples opinion before leaving Nigeria.

Alot of people center their argument on N1m salary per month. The truth is that even if my salary in Nigeria was 2million per month, I would still have moved.

It is my decision and so far, it is the best thing that ever happened to me and will continue to be.

3 Likes

Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by rapheal5(m): 11:27pm On Apr 02
Princedapace:

Alright bro . U may check Udemy for cheaper courses and worth it too if u can dedicate
ok thanks
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by olisaEze(m): 11:31pm On Apr 02
Ikemba007:
A taya o. They pay rent of $800 per month, which is almost half of the monthly earning. That's over one million naira on rent per month. If they have to keep telling us what they earn by converting to naira, then they should also convert what they spend to naira. Who spends up to 1,000,000 naira on monthly rent in Nigeria? Nobody wastes so much here.

This idea of exchange rate that means nothing to a man permanently resident and doing menial job abroad is deceiving them.

Lol! Are you clowning at the bolded?? Be like na papa house dis wan still dey! grin
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by NuCypher: 6:02am On Apr 03
Treadway:

Let's be courteous pls. You should apologize to him, unless you saw him stealing.
I take it back. Was just a sorry outburst
Re: Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far by rapheal5(m): 9:01am On Apr 03
Ikemba007:
No vex o, but this order was created by human beings. Personally, I think man's mission should be more than just searching for where enjoyment abounds.

It's obvious you are not feeling the hardship in nigeria, and you are also not patriotic enough to lead by example so that the masses can follow to fight the blood sucking zombie who don't care about the masses... You have no right/opinion to talk against Japa people....

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (27) (Reply)

See The ₦155m Lamborghini That Every Plane Must Follow At Italy's Airport / Lockdown: Inter-state Travelling. Share Your Experience. / Six People Die In Ikorodu Boat Mishap (Disturbing Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.