Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,657 members, 7,816,686 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? (11625 Views)

If We Ask For The Forgiveness Of God Before We Die, Will God Forgive us ? / Does God Truly Hate Masturbation? / Is God Truly Dwelling In Your Heart? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by TheGift: 12:41am On Apr 01
Karma ~ the rain falls and the sun shines in both the good and evil

Karma~ if you sow cassava, you will reap cassava, whether you are good or evil.

Karma ~ to every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Karma = consequence for actions

Forgiveness is not so much about the absence of consequence but about restoration of the joy of salvation and fellowship with God the Father
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by Kobojunkie: 12:52am On Apr 01
haykaysoft:
■ The concept of karma, as understood in Eastern religions like Jainism, Hinduism, and Buddhism, is indeed different from the concept of sin and forgiveness in Christianity. In the Bible, particularly in the New Testament, there is an emphasis on forgiveness through Christ, which is seen as a way to be freed from the consequences of sin.
■ The verse you mentioned, "He who kills by the sword, will die by the sword," can be seen as a principle of cause and effect, but it's not necessarily equated with the concept of karma. Similarly, the idea of "reaping what you sow" is a principle found in many philosophies and religions, not just in karma.In Christianity, forgiveness is believed to be attainable through repentance and faith in Jesus Christ. This forgiveness is seen as a complete wiping away of sin, and the person is considered free from its eternal consequences. However, this doesn't mean that there are no earthly consequences for one's actions.The distinction lies in the belief that through Christ, one can be completely forgiven and freed from the eternal consequences of sin, whereas in the concept of karma, the consequences of one's actions are seen as a natural and unavoidable part of the cosmic order, often spanning across multiple lifetimes.So, while the principles of cause and effect are universal concepts, the understanding of sin, forgiveness, and karma differ significantly across religions.
1. Forgiveness, which applies majorly to those who have been previously approved Holy and righteous by God Himself, does not free one entirely from the consequences of sin. Forgiveness wipes the slate clean for a righteous man and reduces the impact that sin would have had on such a man had he not asked for forgiveness but it does not free him from the repercussions of the sin committed. undecided

2. Yeah, Karmic Laws have nothing to do with Jesus Christ and the God of Israel! undecided
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by TheGift: 1:02am On Apr 01
Mynd44:
Karma and the Christianity are two different beliefs hence God forgiving you has nothing to do with Karma as it is based on a different religious inclination

The inclinations are not different; the Bible says “ what a man sows, a man shall reap”. That is Karma, in a nut shell
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by TheGift: 1:07am On Apr 01
MadeINchenzen2:
so of what use is forgiveness?
Forgiveness is not for avoiding consequence, but for restoring the fellowship broken by Sin , the joy of salvation and sense of God’s presence.
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by Kobojunkie: 1:25am On Apr 01
TheGift:
∆ The inclinations are not different; the Bible says “ what a man sows, a man shall reap”. That is Karma, in a nut shell
That is nothing like Karma. What a man sows in this life is rather the decider of God's eventual Judgement against said man. God's Judgment is not promised in this life -- judgment comes after death -- whereas karma is believed to happen in this life. See the stack difference between the two? undecided
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by galantjoe(m): 3:59am On Apr 01
Forgiveness does not preclude penance, restitution and punishment that may come as a result of sins.

For example when king David sinned against God by committing adultery and killing the husband of the woman in order to marry her, they bore a son. God after David has ask of for forgiveness told him that the son must die and he died.
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by Akinomoakin021: 5:38am On Apr 01
MadeINchenzen2:
The complete chapters of the Bible gave no insights or notes about 'karma'... Though the term 'karma' is from the Janism, Hindu and Buddhist religion, but everyone believes in it strongly... Maybe the Bible insinuated it when Christ said "He who kill by the sword, will die by the sword"... " What a man sows, he reaps"...

If we all agree with this (karma) why then do we ask God for forgiveness?

Can one commit a sin and be completely forgiven by God and free from consequences?

Kindly help me with your insights. Thanks
Based on experience and lessons learnt from others. Karma is the fruit of a seed/seeds planted by people in your lineage/by you. It can be good/bad Karma. You can reverse the bad Karma by continuously planting good Karma. I mean doing good works intentionally. By that, a lot of bad Karma can be reversed with time.
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by chieveboy(m): 7:04am On Apr 01
onumadu:

I'm afraid that if I go into that your line of thinking, I would lose about 99% of the audience in the thought-flow.
So, I keep things simple.
I believe in one GOD within who/which contains ALL manifestations.
They all exist within GOD'S "supreme divine imaginations".
As referenced in the Bible "in whom we live and move and have our being".
in God, there are Gods, gods, hosts of heaven, principalities, powers, dominions etc.
People make the mistake of thinking that there are many GODS. It cannot be true because of many reasons which I don't want to get into for lack of time and space.
What I can say as a Christian is that Jesus Christ (on earth) was an incarnate of GOD.
Why do I say so?
Because ALL of these powers, dominions, laws etc bow to his authority.
For example, that is why Jesus said that he is the "Lord of the Sabbath" (meaning that all laws are subject to his divine prerogative).
I have had other personal experiences to prove this point to myself.
You have to take my words for it. grin

I quite agree to:

1: "One God" and several other tributaries of IT.

2: Jesus being God incarnate, but so am I and everyone else in exact same manner. This however doesn't come true by any ritual of acceptance and pledging of anyone's blood not belonging in any religion.
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by BALLOSKI: 8:03am On Apr 01
MadeINchenzen2:
The complete chapters of the Bible gave no insights or notes about 'karma'... Though the term 'karma' is from the Janism, Hindu and Buddhist religion, but everyone believes in it strongly... Maybe the Bible insinuated it when Christ said "He who kill by the sword, will die by the sword"... " What a man sows, he reaps"...

If we all agree with this (karma) why then do we ask God for forgiveness?

Can one commit a sin and be completely forgiven by God and free from consequences?

Kindly help me with your insights. Thanks
The sins forgiven by God are those committed against him directly, the ones committed against your fellow man, you ask him to forgive you first before returning to God for repentance. God does not forgive what you did to another man, and if the said man doesn't forgive you, that's where Karma comes in.
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by dododawa1: 11:13am On Apr 01
No commit

Sin
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by Boldideas: 3:31pm On Apr 01
Kingrshd3:

Then God doesn't forgive u then

God forgives. Did God began what you started. You free a car from a high hill and beg for forgiveness, does that stops the car from rolling?
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by Clazzone(m): 5:17pm On Apr 01
Even when we assume sins are forgiven, but there's still karma, this is the law of retributive justice, it's the atonement a person who have committed a sin has to pay for the sins he or she might have committed.

There must be a sincere repentance, having that sober reflection not to go into that act again, an don't forget there must be an atonement for that sin, it can come in any form of mishap and by then sins will be forgiven.
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by triplechoice(m): 9:11pm On Apr 01
Kobojunkie:
That is nothing like Karma. What a man sows in this life is rather the decider of God's eventual Judgement against said man. God's Judgment is not promised in this life -- judgment comes after death -- whereas karma is believed to happen in this life. See the stack difference between the two? undecided

Please what's karma?
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by meobizy(f): 10:37pm On Apr 01
Kobojunkie:
https://-tiny-url-.com/2au3vbks
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by Kobojunkiee: 3:51am On Apr 02
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by onumadu: 9:33am On Apr 02
chieveboy:

I quite agree to:

1: "One God" and several other tributaries of IT.

2: Jesus being God incarnate, but so am I and everyone else in exact same manner. This however doesn't come true by any ritual of acceptance and pledging of anyone's blood not belonging in any religion.

@Bolded:
No, there is a difference between us (carnal man, or "earth man" ) and Jesus.
He is incarnate of GOD (his mother was not impregnated by any man to birth him) while you are incarnate of man (sired by your human father).
Because he is an incarnate of God, he could do things that you as man could never do.
For example, he can forgive sins (remember the supreme divine prerogative I mentioned earlier, i.e God can do whatever he wants?).
You cannot forgive a man's sins except the sins he committed against you. On whose authority could Jesus forgive sins?
You guessed right - GOD... because he is GOD INCARNATE.
I like to cite this because those who say what you said miss this part.
They say that we are all like Jesus (having God inside of us), but it is not the same.
Even the scribes and pharisees of Jesus era thought he was blaspheming when he said he could forgive sins.
And Jesus challenged them and ask them which one is easier. To say to another man that his sins are forgiven or heal them instantly of paralysis.
Also remember the "Lord of the Sabbath" event?
It is that divine authority of Jesus that Satan coveted and wanted to scam Jesus out of when he tempted Jesus after his fasting.

To be honest, if I go into the full story of what Jesus is and what he came to do, I would have to write pages and pages of post.
Don't tempt me if you don't want to read such long post. grin
I like to leave snippets of what Jesus wanted man to know:
Key things:
For example, by your our own choices and actions, you are essentially making laws and are bound, hence judged by those laws you make.
For example "For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you." Matt 7:2
It comes from where Jesus said "Judge not, that you be not judged".
THIS IS A KEY MESSAGE OF JESUS, but most "religionists" love to skip it because they are more interested in lording it over(or controlling) others in an organized religion setting.

That "Judge Not ..." rides on things like "Karma" to operate.

Jesus is the most important "man" to walk the surface of this earth. Take this to the bank.

One day when I have time, I will throw more light on these things to enable people attain spiritual transformation, hence glorification/ elevation which is Jesus main goal for coming ("So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God."
Gal 4:7)
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by chieveboy(m): 12:06pm On Apr 02
onumadu:

@Bolded:
No, there is a difference between us (carnal man, or "earth man" ) and Jesus.
He is incarnate of GOD (his mother was not impregnated by any man to birth him) while you are incarnate of man (sired by your human father).
Because he is an incarnate of God, he could do things that you as man could never do.
For example, he can forgive sins (remember the supreme divine prerogative I mentioned earlier, i.e God can do whatever he wants?).
You cannot forgive a man's sins except the sins he committed against you. On whose authority could Jesus forgive sins?
You guessed right - GOD... because he is GOD INCARNATE.
I like to cite this because those who say what you said miss this part.
They say that we are all like Jesus (having God inside of us), but it is not the same.
Even the scribes and pharisees of Jesus era thought he was blaspheming when he said he could forgive sins.
And Jesus challenged them and ask them which one is easier. To say to another man that his sins are forgiven or heal them instantly of paralysis.
Also remember the "Lord of the Sabbath" event?
It is that divine authority of Jesus that Satan coveted and wanted to scam Jesus out of when he tempted Jesus after his fasting.

To be honest, if I go into the full story of what Jesus is and what he came to do, I would have to write pages and pages of post.
Don't tempt me if you don't want to read such long post. grin
I like to leave snippets of what Jesus wanted man to know:
Key things:
For example, by your our own choices and actions, you are essentially making laws and are bound, hence judged by those laws you make.
For example "For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you." Matt 7:2
It comes from where Jesus said "Judge not, that you be not judged".
THIS IS A KEY MESSAGE OF JESUS, but most "religionists" love to skip it because they are more interested in lording it over(or controlling) others in an organized religion setting.

That "Judge Not ..." rides on things like "Karma" to operate.

Jesus is the most important "man" to walk the surface of this earth. Take this to the bank.

One day when I have time, I will throw more light on these things to enable people attain spiritual transformation, hence glorification/ elevation which is Jesus main goal for coming ("So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God."
Gal 4:7)

Jesus is Soul. So are you and everyone else.
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by triplechoice(m): 2:18pm On Apr 02
Kobojunkiee:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma

I had wanted you to explain in your words what you understand by karma and not you directing me to a page where you think it's explained.

How do even you know if what's contained in that you shared is the correct thing?.
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by Kobojunkiee: 2:21pm On Apr 02
triplechoice:
I had wanted you to explain in your words what you understand by karma and not you directing me to a page where you think it's explained. How do even you know if what's contained in that you shared is the correct thing?.
The definition of Karma contained in that link is the one I work with. If your idea does not align with that then I can't help you, can I? undecided
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by triplechoice(m): 3:45pm On Apr 02
Kobojunkiee:
The definition of Karma contained in that link is the one I work with. If your idea does not align with that then I can't help you, can I? undecided

If that's the definition you're working with,then why have you dismissed karma as not existing.

You believe actions don't lead to consequences?

Besides, how is it possible for you to work with opposing ideas about karma from different groups as it's contained in that page?

One group insists it's tied to rebirth while the others says no,yet you say it's what you're working with? Which one are you working with?

What's clear to me now is that you hurriedly posted a link to an article you didn't take you time to read and understand very well.It's disappointing to even know it's something I have read before.

If you don't want to directly reply me about what I asked, What you understand by karma in your own words, then please don't bother anymore.

I know I how to use Google to search for answers,but only quoted you to have some discussion with you concerning the topic .

And since it appears you don't want that ,my apologies for quoting you. Have nice day.
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by Kobojunkiee: 3:55pm On Apr 02
triplechoice:
1. If that's the definition you're working with,then why have you dismissed karma as not existing.
You believe actions don't lead to consequences?
2. Besides, how is it possible for you to work with opposing ideas about karma from different groups as it's contained in that page? One group insists it's tied to rebirth while the others says no,yet you say it's what you're working with? Which one are you working with?
3. What's clear to me now is that you hurriedly posted a link to an article you didn't take you time to read and understand very well. It's disappointing to even know it's something I have read before. If you don't want to directly reply me about what I asked, What you understand by karma in your own words, then please don't bother anymore. I know I how to use Google to search for answers,but only quoted you to have some discussion with you concerning the topic . And since it appears you don't want that ,my apologies for quoting you. Have nice day.
In the context of Scripture, Karma does not exist nor apply given that instead what applies are laws laid down by God. undecided

2. There are many ideas regarding Karma out there. However, it does not matter whether they oppose themselves or not because the major case here is that none of that applies as far as Scripture is concerned. undecided

3. If you wish to believe that, it's fine by me. undecided
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by triplechoice(m): 4:11pm On Apr 02
Kobojunkiee:
In the context of Scripture, Karma does not exist nor apply given that instead what applies are laws laid down by God. undecided

2. There are many ideas regarding Karma out there. However, it does not matter whether they oppose themselves or not because the major case here is that none of that applies as far as Scripture is concerned. undecided

3. If you wish to believe that, it's fine by me. undecided

In all you still don't know what karma is. What you know about it is what some religious groups have said about it,and that's why you say it doesn't apply to Scripture.

Karma is not transgressing the laws of any deity as you think you. It's the principle of cause and effect. That's all

The actions you take are the causes of what you get. But your hand in fire, you get burned and learn the lesson. It's has nothing to do with what is contained in Scripture.
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by Kobojunkiee: 4:23pm On Apr 02
triplechoice:
∆ In all you still don't know what karma is. What you know about it is what some religious groups are have said about it,and that's why you say it doesn't apply to Scripture.
∆ Karma is not transgressing the laws of any deity as you think you. It's the principle of cause and effect. That's all
∆ The actions you take are the causes of what you get. But your hand in fire, you get burned and learn the lesson. It's has nothing to do with what is contained in Scripture.
1. Huh? Hindu and Buddhist understanding of karma are not acceptable? undecided

2. I am afraid I don't follow your meaning at all. In Scripture, evil/sin is defined by the Law and as such it is by transgressing the law that you incur the condemnation of sin or curse. That, I explained, is not how karma works. lipsrsealed

Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by triplechoice(m): 6:06pm On Apr 02
Kobojunkiee:
1. Huh? Hindu and Buddhist understanding of karma are not acceptable? undecided

2. I am afraid I don't follow your meaning at all. In Scripture, evil/sin is defined by the Law and as such it is by transgressing the law that you incur the condemnation of sin or curse. That, I explained, is not how karma works. lipsrsealed

I'm talking about certain ideas attached to it which makes it difficult for most people to understand what karma really is.

Buddhism ties it with reincarnation, but others don't ,or do you believe in reincarnation ?

Karma is not sin,but simply the results from an individual's actions and inactions . These results are not punishment from any god. People who talk as if karma is punishment are only speaking metaphorically ,not understanding this ,is probably the reason you're trying to compare it with what is in the scripture you subscribe to.

Go back to the article you shared and see where karma is defined at the beginning as ,deeds ,or actions, and that they lead to consequences.The word, karma ,is originally from Sanskrit,one of the oldest language in the world.

Without karma,cause and effect,not will happen in this world.. Focus on what the word, karma, actually describe so you understand it better before considering any thing being connected to it
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by onumadu: 6:22pm On Apr 02
chieveboy:

Jesus is Soul. So are you and everyone else.

The question of Soul for Jesus doesn't arise because he rose again from the dead and still lives.
Soul is what remains after death.
Try another angle to prove that Jesus is human, which is really your ultimate goal grin
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by IAmHim1: 6:22pm On Apr 02
so if i do money rituals now and adk for forgiveness later, ill be free
magoo10:
God forgives our sins if we ask for forgiveness and truly repent and make total change from our sinful lives.
As we know living without sin in this world is not easy ,that is what keeps attracting people to karma.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by IAmHim1: 6:25pm On Apr 02
karma exists, thats why there is reincarnation

karma not paid for in this life.follows a soul to the next.

those born crippled or those born into abject poverty or those victim of stray bullets...you all think its random ba

natural selection abi

Hmmm
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by Kobojunkiee: 6:34pm On Apr 02
triplechoice:
1. I'm talking about certain ideas attached to it which makes it difficult for most people to understand what karma really is. Buddhism ties it with reincarnation, but others don't ,or do you believe in reincarnation? Karma is not sin,but simply the results from an individual's actions and inactions . These results are not punishment from any god. People who talk as if karma is punishment are only speaking metaphorically ,not understanding this ,is probably the reason you're trying to compare it with what is in the scripture you subscribe to. Go back to the article you shared and see where karma is defined at the beginning as ,deeds ,or actions, and that they lead to consequences. The word, karma ,is originally from Sanskrit,one of the oldest language in the world. Without karma,cause and effect,not will happen in this world.. Focus on what the word, karma, actually describe so you understand it better before considering any thing being connected to it
Please stop trying to flip this all over the place when there is no need to. You asked the definition of Karma and I provided you with a link that connected you to the prevailing ideas held of it by those of the religions Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. It has always been a religious idea and not something any tom-dick-and-harry can cook up a definition for. undecided

In my later responses, I proceeded to explain that Karma does not apply in the Scriptural context because all things Scripture are weighed against God's Law. The mandate of Obedience from God to all who are under the Law is the determining factor for all things in the lives of individuals. Karma does not apply at all. Heck, Karma does not even work in the real world many of us live in. grin

About Reincarnation, I would say it is quite possible for those who are not born-again. Anyways, that is all I have on that. lipsrsealed
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by chieveboy(m): 7:10pm On Apr 02
onumadu:

The question of Soul for Jesus doesn't arise because he rose again from the dead and still lives.
Soul is what remains after death.
Try another angle to prove that Jesus is human, which is really your ultimate goal grin

This is really funny, Soul remaining after death...and inside the grave I suppose cheesy.

This will balance the idea of dead rising again after the trumpet I suppose?

Bro,
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by triplechoice(m): 7:19pm On Apr 02
Kobojunkiee:
Please stop trying to flip this all over the place when there is no need to. You asked the definition of Karma and I provided you with a link that connected you to the prevailing ideas held of it by those of the religions Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. It has always been a religious idea and not something any tom-dick-and-harry can cook up a definition for.
I never asked you for a link to a definition of something, I know how to use Google myself,but what you understand about
karma. . You have shown you don't really understand it. So why continue to argue over what you don't fully grasp?

In my later responses, I proceeded to explain that Karma does not apply in the Scriptural context because all things Scripture are weighed against God's Law. The mandate of Obedience from God to all who are under the Law is the determining factor for all things in the lives of individuals. Karma does not apply at all.
karma has nothing to do with your religious beliefs .So why are you trying to interpret it based on what's contained in your Bible

Heck
Karma does not even work in the real world many of us live in.
You say so because you're hung up on the word,karma,and not what it really another name for,Karma, is cause and effect and you say it doesn't work in the real world?

About Reincarnation, I would say it is quite possible for those who are not born-again. Anyways, that is all I have on that.

But I don't subscribe to the born again talk. Reincarnation is reincarnation, born again is church doctrine.

Anyway, let's end this. Thanks for your time.
Re: If God Truly Forgive Us Our Sins, What Then Is Karma? by Kobojunkiee: 7:21pm On Apr 02
triplechoice:
1. I never asked you for a link to a definition of something, I know how to use Google myself,but what you understand about
karma. . You have shown you don't really understand it. So why continue to argue over what you don't fully grasp?
You asked me a question and I answered you. If you instead wanted me to read your particular mind and post your particular ideas on the topic, I would have not responded since I don't care for that. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Prayer For All First Borns!!!(mfm) / WHAT IS BROTHERHOOD OF THE CROSS AND STAR... / Preaching In Commercial Buses:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.