Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,075 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH (30226 Views)

We Will Increase Tariff From July 1 - AEDC Alerts Customers / FG Secretly Raises Electricity Tariff - LEADERSHIP / NERC Directs Discos To Increase Tariff From April 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by socialmediaman: 7:16pm On Apr 03
Tayorshd87:
Just to make nigeria better .

Go to overseas u pay more and enjoy what u use .

Nonsense

With this increase Nigerians are now paying more than people overseas, while earning only a fraction of what people overseas earn.

This N226 naira per KPH is about 15 cents per kilowatt hour. Minimum wage in Nigeria is N30,000 monthly

North Dakota pays about 10 cents per kilowatt hour. Minimum wage in North Dakota is $7.25 per hour (N1.3 million naira monthly).

Texas pays about 15 cents per kilowatt hour. Minimum wage in Texas is $7.25 per hour (N1.3 million naira monthly).

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by IbeOkehie: 7:16pm On Apr 03
This is good news. The only negative here is that government still owns the central distribution system and thus controls EVERYTHING in the electricity sector, including prices.

The ultimate solution is complete privatization and deregulation of the entire economy, including the energy sector and electricity industry. That's what SAP was about and it produced visible benefits in the banking, broadcasting, cement and airline industries. Free markets is the way to go. I wish solar panels were cheaper, all this nonsense will stop.

Nobody expects piped water from the 37 Water Boards in Nigeria and their well paid employees and there's no water scarcity. Everyone face the truth, Black Africans can't work together to provide public goods.

Privatize and deregulate prices. FREE MARKETS is the answer. Freedom, freedom, freedom.

Good Luck to Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by Evolutionism: 7:16pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:

https://saharareporters.com/2024/04/03/breaking-tinubu-government-raises-electricity-tariff-nigerians-n66-n225-kilowatt-hour#:~:text=Videos%20Photos%20Documents-,BREAKING%3A%20Tinubu%20Government%20Raises%20Electricity%20Tariff%20For%20Nigerians%20From,To%20N225%20Kilowatt%20Per%20Hour&text=According%20to%20Oseni%2C%20customers%20in,12million%20electricity%20customers%20in%20Nigeria.

What a welcome development.

The forever stupid sheeeples would only groan and shout for a while and later move on by getting use to it.

Case Closed.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by faceland: 7:17pm On Apr 03
This is more than double.

Hope they will not take light to night? If I get 20 hour electricity, I don't mind o. Just remove fuse when going to work.
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by Gboyeee: 7:17pm On Apr 03
Tayorshd87:

Nonsense

People earn a lot overseas and their a lot of jobs to do. There is a disconnect between the government and the people’s earnings
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by Omalicious1: 7:18pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:

https://saharareporters.com/2024/04/03/breaking-tinubu-government-raises-electricity-tariff-nigerians-n66-n225-kilowatt-hour#:~:text=Videos%20Photos%20Documents-,BREAKING%3A%20Tinubu%20Government%20Raises%20Electricity%20Tariff%20For%20Nigerians%20From,To%20N225%20Kilowatt%20Per%20Hour&text=According%20to%20Oseni%2C%20customers%20in,12million%20electricity%20customers%20in%20Nigeria.

I hope they don't spread this increment to everyone..
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by socialmediaman: 7:19pm On Apr 03
IbeOkehie:
This is good news. The only negative here is that government still owns the central distribution system and thus controls EVERYTHING in the electricity sector, including prices.

The ultimate solution is complete privatization and deregulation of the entire economy, including the energy sector and electricity industry. That's what SAP was about and it produced visible benefits in the banking, broadcasting, cement and airline industries. Free markets is the way to go. I wish solar panels were cheaper, all this nonsense will stop.

Nobody expects piped water from the 37 Water Boards in Nigeria and their well paid employees and there's no water scarcity. Everyone face the truth, Black Africans can't work together to provide public goods.

Privatize and deregulate prices. FREE MARKETS is the answer. Freedom, freedom, freedom.

Good Luck to Nigeria.

Nigerians are now paying more than their US counterparts, while earning 43 times less. So as a Nigerian you pay more than someone earning 4300% your salary

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by loffyloffy: 7:19pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:

With this increase Nigerians are now paying more than people overseas, while earning only a fraction of what people overseas earn.

This N226 naira per KPH is about 15 cents per kilowatt hour. Minimum wage in Nigeria is N30,000 monthly

North Dakota pays about 10 cents per kilowatt hour. Minimum wage in North Dakota is $7.25 per hour (N1.3 million naira monthly).

Texas pays about 15 cents per kilowatt hour. Minimum wage in Texas is $7.25 per hour (N1.3 million naira monthly).

You people cant read or you can only read hatred.

This is an intresting development..

Like a a two edged sword it could go either way.

1, at the moment on paper only about 15% of Nigerians are said to be enjoying 20hrs of electricity a day.

So the industry could see as an incentive to make more money by expanding their customer base and increasing the % of people getting above 20hrs/day..

Clearly for anyone getting less than 20hrs a day It is a major loss for them.

2. On the other hand they could choose to concentrate all there efforts on the people already getting 20hrs a day ..and forget the rest of the people that are getting less..so things will get better for people who are paying more and worse for people who are paying less.
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by 247man: 7:20pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:
For context:

This N226 naira per KPH is about 15 cents per kilowatt hour. The minimum wage in Nigeria is N30,000 monthly

At least air peace owner already told us that
₦200k per month in nigeria is better than £2000/month in london. So this should not be a problem i guess. At the end it will all balance out.
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by writeprof(m): 7:20pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:
For context:

This N226 naira per KPH is about 15 cents per kilowatt hour. The minimum wage in Nigeria is N30,000 monthly

Good observations. They started it by telling us the amount in USD.
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by infohenry(m): 7:20pm On Apr 03
aieromon:

This group of persons will be unaffected by the tariff increase as you wrongly assume.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/683016-nerc-explains-category-of-consumers-affected-by-electricity-tariff-hike.html
So poor Nigerians does not deserve 20hrs of electricity, oh before jumping to defend this administration pause and use your brain.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by Flier: 7:20pm On Apr 03
bobochem:
The headline caption is very wrong.The increment is only met for band A category (people that use 24 hrs light).
Those are industrial areas and the burden would be passed directly to the consumer,I mean you and I would pay the money
Capitalist can never take a loss,they would rather pass the burden to the consumer.Just watch how the price will skyrocket in coming days.
This government is government for the rich,I mean the Lagos boys.They dont want to know if their neighbor is hungry.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by LordBillionz: 7:20pm On Apr 03
Tayorshd87:

Nonsense
How much is minimum wage abroad?

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by Konquest: 7:21pm On Apr 03
Daeaad:
e be lyk say u just hear "narcissistic" grama today nd u bother check d meaning before u use am take post
You created your moniker today and you're trolling with it already.

If you don't have ANY intelligent convo to engage in... Then don't quote me. How can you tell a man like me who has used NL for 19 years now as a registered user with a vast knowledge of written and spoken English language that I don't know the meaning of what I wrote?

I made reference to the word "narcissistic" because time after time, the same set of posters or monikers (especially some of the young folks here) rush to the first page of every NL thread that hits the frontpage to shoot down every topic WITHOUT reading to understand. That's pure narcissism. Period.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by grandstar(m): 7:21pm On Apr 03
The new price is a bit high. I compared price of piwer in Houston and it's 15cents. However, the new price jumps to about 18 cents if we use the 1,250 exchange rate.

Cost of power in Texas averages 13.75cents per kilowatt hour. Houston is more expensive due to higher taxes levied on power.

However, I am not taking into considerations many factors experts in the industry would. I am sure in time with greater efficiency, there might be a reduction in price.

In addition, what is important is that the price is cost reflective. They should do the same to all users.

The primary reason why we are suffering from rolling blackouts presently is due to " gas challenges" which is Nigerian government speak for huge debts owed for gas they have bought.

These companies no dey sell again..

1 Like

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by faceland: 7:22pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:
For context:

Those with washing machine, microwave, heater and so on?
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by jmoore(m): 7:22pm On Apr 03
Konquest:

You're very intelligent for paying attention to the little details in that article. A significant number of narcissistic posters and trolls here just rush in to post highly ignorant comments on NL (and other online platforms) laced with hate speech.
Paying attention to details? The real details are not in the article.

I can use myself as a case study. I do not have up to 24hrs of electricity for a week.
I can have 4 days of blackout and 3 days of combined power supply that is not up to 12 hours.
The last time I bought power token, I was charged around 77 naira per kwh, that is higher than the so called 66 naira for band A.

How many consumers are really billed according to the band ratings?

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by BItt: 7:22pm On Apr 03
Good news. Tinubu is walking
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by Treasure17(m): 7:22pm On Apr 03
As long as the people who voted for APC are not excepted, I'm cool with it.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by barry75: 7:22pm On Apr 03
Isn't this decision on the part of Mr. President a clear case of anti people policies? Why are the poor masses in Naija so unfortunate in having clueless leaders directing the helm of affairs?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by ddippset(m): 7:23pm On Apr 03
So my 5k will now only buy me 23 units instead of 76 units before?

😭
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by socialmediaman: 7:23pm On Apr 03
247man:

At least air peace owner already told us that
₦200k per month in nigeria is better than £2000/month in london. So this should not be a problem i guess. At the end it will all balance out.

The 200K could will be fine if you were not paying the same amount. Now you'll be paying the same amount in utilities
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by MasterTeeUSA: 7:24pm On Apr 03
Its for those getting 20hrs per day, so this headline is misleading. They receive electricity and they should pay more, so we can subsidize less. If you don't want to pay a lot, do not use a lot.

socialmediaman:

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by Akanoaaa(m): 7:24pm On Apr 03
OluwaBlessyn:
Dem just Dey raise everything up
Buh salaries still Dey stagnant
How common man wan take survive now??
With 30k minimum wages? Olopolo kiku
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by writeprof(m): 7:25pm On Apr 03
grandstar:
The new price is a bit high. I compared price of piwer in Houston and it's 15cents. However, the new price jumps to about 18 cents if we use the 1,250 exchange rate.

Cost of power in Texas averages 13.75cents per kilowatt hour. Houston is more expensive due to higher taxes levied on power.

However, I am not taking into considerations many factors experts in the industry would. I am sure in time with greater efficiency, there might be a reduction in price.

In addition, what is important is that the price is cost reflective. They should do the same to all users.

The primary reason why we are suffering from rolling blackouts presently is due to " gas challenges" which is Nigerian government speak for huge debts owed for gas they have bought.

These companies no dey sell again..

Nigeria has no business saying there is no GAS. NLNG and/or NGC is/are still working I believe. The Nigerian government has kept the activities of NLNG in shadows.

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by Cj4charles(m): 7:26pm On Apr 03
BigDawsNet:
The goal is that Nigerians citizen must suffer first before they enjoy.
this your useless format don already cast under Buhari... so stf

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by SenecaTheYonger: 7:27pm On Apr 03
socialmediaman:
For context:

Tinubu is working
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by goldmatrix(m): 7:27pm On Apr 03
Has he changed from being a tax collector? Does he own a single manufacturing industry in the country to know what it takes to produce a unit product with antecedent cost?
Just a yurubaaa drug lord...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by Konquest: 7:28pm On Apr 03
jmoore:

Paying attention to details? The real details are not in the article.

I can use myself as a case study. I do not have up to 24hrs of electricity for a week.
I can have 4 days of blackout and 3 days of combined power supply that is not up to 12 hours.
The last time I bought power token, I was charged around 77 naira per kwh, that is higher than the so called 66 naira for band A.

How many consumers are really billed according to the band ratings?
The gentleman I quoted here gave the Weblink below in his feedback as well and that's why I commended him for paying attention to details.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/683016-nerc-explains-category-of-consumers-affected-by-electricity-tariff-hike.html
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by Max24: 7:30pm On Apr 03
Many obidients against Tinubu's policies are illiterates. How does this affect the common man ?
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by Daeaad: 7:30pm On Apr 03
See achievements

How much Nairaland don pay u ?

Show body for empty head
Konquest:

You created your moniker today and you're trolling with it already.

If you don't have ANY intelligent convo to engage in... Then don't quote me. How can you tell a man like me who has used NL for 19 years now as a registered user with a vast knowledge of written and spoken English language that I don't know the meaning of what I wrote?

I made reference to the word "narcissistic" because time after time, the same set of posters or monikers (especially the young folks here) rush to the first page of every NL thread that hits the frontpage to shoot down every topic WITHOUT reading to understand. That's pure narcissism. Period.
Re: Tinubu’s Government Raises Electricity Tariff From N66 To N225 Per KPH by Fujiyama: 7:30pm On Apr 03
The next stage is the inevitable conflict between some band A customers and PHCN when (not if) PHCN fails to meet its own part of the deal...that is, the 20 hour daily minimum supply.

I know someone classified as band A. This individual has been in band A for years. He did not have electricity from midnight till 3pm this afternoon...that's a full 15 hours of darkness in a 24 hour period. This is a violation of the 20 hour daily minimum and these violations have been commonplace for years. This customer has suffered this injustice without redress for years. Even if he has uninterrupted electricity till 11.59pm tonight, (an unlikely scenario) he would have had just 9 hours supply instead of 20 hours. undecided

The customer has never (in the last 5 years) received a rebate or discount or compensation of any kind for this serial breach of contract by PHCN. And NERC has done nothing about it.

As usual with the failed party in power and the failed governments it produces, absolutely nothing has been done or will be done to protect the rights of electricity consumers whose tariffs have just been increased. There is no ombudsman worthy of the name, nothing. Consumers are on their own...as they always have been.

Nigerians will learn the hard way.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Pictures From Apc Rally In Akwa Ibom Today. / Zaria Residents Burn APC Brooms (Photos) / Dr Maduka Builds, Donates 40 Free Flats To 40 Widows In Anambra (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.