Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

"What Should My Daughter Call Him?" - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" (10013 Views)

Aigbe:I Started Talking More With My Daughter The Day She Spoke About ‘Mouth Action' / Me, My Daughter And My Son-inlaw. How It All Began. / "My Boyfriend Impregnanted My Daughter" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Ivynwa(f): 4:56am On Dec 14, 2011
190 Baby how are you, it's been long.
How are you doing Baby?
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Jenifa1: 4:59am On Dec 14, 2011
BABE!:

Hm. Thanks for your input.

The thing is, I'm Nigerian (Yoruba), and in my culture, it's sort of disrespectful of my daughter to address someone that old, by his "first name".

Isn't that a bit too formal? Remember we are gonna be living together.

bah humbug.
in the yoruba culture,it's also disrespectful to be living with a man you are not married to.

if you can live with your current boyfriend and have a child with a previous bf (who also you probably were not married to), then let the girl call your bf whatever you wish her to call him. first name, uncle, mr, daddy, whatever you/she wish. lol
by now, she should have developed a relationship with him enough to be calling him something. what does she regularly call him? let her keep calling him by that name and over time, she will feel comfortable enough to call him dad (if he assumes that role in her life).

uncle seems like the more sensible term to use though.

He's not her uncle though. So why should she call him "Uncle"?

In yoruba culture, uncle refers to anyone older than you but not older than your father.
uncle is the most appropriate term in this case.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Nobody: 5:08am On Dec 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

In yoruba culture, uncle refers to anyone older than you but not older than your father.

interesting.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Ivynwa(f): 5:38am On Dec 14, 2011
We are all adults dearies---- in as much as it isn't out of place for poster to be reminded that it isn't in our culture to live with a man she is not married to and that it is important that her daughter be also taught that, she should not be judged for having a child with a man she is probably not married to.
She alone knows the circumstances that surrounds that and even if it were an unplanned action, our world has come a long way for us to make our fellow humans want to hide their head in shame because of such acts. If the little girl was aborted nobody will know she has been pregnant much more judge her with that. It was good that she did not abort her child.

@Miss Babes
You ought to have known that there are different kinds of mentalities in this forum and for that there are issues that should
not be tabled here for people to play football with. Better lock the thread and stop postings at this extent or be prepared
for more insults that may be hurled at you by some.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by 195(f): 5:45am On Dec 14, 2011
Ivynwa:

190 Baby how are you, it's been long.
How are you doing Baby?

embarassed embarassed

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-823600.0.html
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by pendo89(f): 6:31am On Dec 14, 2011
ouch its a culture thing. whatevr.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Ivynwa(f): 6:36am On Dec 14, 2011
190_@:

embarassed embarassed
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-823600.0.html

Okay now I get it "Obi is now a man", what can I say---thumbs up to you dear.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Mynd44: 7:42am On Dec 14, 2011
Why not ask the guy what he would like to be called?
I eve doubt that this story is true cos a real guy born bread and buttered(and then yoruba) will not allow a woman who has a child by another man to move in with him unless they have done at least "INTRODUCTION" so this story is a hoax.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Dsense(m): 7:58am On Dec 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

bah humbug.
in the yoruba culture,it's also disrespectful to be living with a man you are not married to.

if you can live with your current boyfriend and have a child with a previous bf (who also you probably were not married to), then let the girl call your bf whatever you wish her to call him. first name, uncle, mr, daddy, whatever you/she wish. lol
by now, she should have developed a relationship with him enough to be calling him something. what does she regularly call him? let her keep calling him by that name and over time, she will feel comfortable enough to call him dad (if he assumes that role in her life).

Wise people think alike . . .Great!!!
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Hardunnii(f): 8:09am On Dec 14, 2011
She can call him whatever she likes, what you should be concerned abt is teaching ur daughter moral principles which will be a diff task, since you dont have one urself, poor girl goodluck.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Exponental(m): 8:12am On Dec 14, 2011
Choose:
Assistant daddy (AD, in short)
New daddy (ND)
Part-time daddy (PTD)
Steppy
Surrogate daddy (SD).
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Nobody: 8:20am On Dec 14, 2011
She can call him anything, as long as"daddy" is inclusive!. . . She wont remain a kid forever!
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by freecocoa(f): 8:48am On Dec 14, 2011
What are you people saying about calling him whatever she likes,that's not sense making,let her call him,DADDY 2 joor and her real father DADDY or call him PAPA while she maintains Dad for her father.

Seriously though,In nigeria this is even the least thing to worry about cos truss mi,there are lots of names to call him with UNCLE topping the list,in nigeria one doesn't have to be a relative before they can be your "uncle" we started having uncles from kindergarten through,primary and secondary schools,all our male teachers were"uncle"and the females"aunty" you can even tell a stranger "excuse me uncle or brother what's the time?"so its not even an issue likewise the "Daddy" sef,she's 6 she should be able to differentiate which one is her real dad,I have cousins of 4 and below who call my father "daddy"it doesn't mean they don't know their real dad,its just common to call an elderly person mum or dad especially the yoruba people sef.
If she was igbo,I'd have suggested she called him DEDE,come sef BABE!this your story is suspicious cos this wouldn't be an issue in naija especially with yoruba folks,she go don dey call am daddy before she even realize he wants to marry her mum.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by slimyem: 8:49am On Dec 14, 2011
pendo89:

Am neutral,so if I marry a man with kids,I wl appreciate if his kids call me mummy, cz even though am not the real one, am going to play that role in their lives and do it the best way I can to make them feel comfortable as 'my'daughters.
If it's the other way round, I will sit down my 6 year old, let him know he has a real dad but this present one is mummy's hubby and hes going to 'daddy him/her' since real daddy is not around. (Now a 6 year old can understand the basics don't go deep and stress)

And yes he/she can have 2 daddys, I don't see that as a hiccup at all. Its for respect sake cz I wouldn't feel comfortable my child calling the man I love by his first name as if they are agemates.
After all its the daddy who spends more time with the child that will influence him/her the most.They are both important.
When the child reaches the age of responsibility he/she can choose to call him whatever he wants, but I know that wouldn't be the case if he plays the Father role well.
Its good to consider a child's wishes but it also starts with how you treat the man.

suscribing
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by deekseen(m): 8:57am On Dec 14, 2011
BABE!: Little angel, we are moving in with Uncle Jide next week.
Little angel: so what do i call him now?
BABE!: you can call him daddy.
Little angel: so in a week's time my uncle will now be my daddy? What about my real daddy?
BABE!: sweetheart, you'll call uncle Jide daddy because we will be living together as a family and he will be a father-figure in the house. Your real daddy is still your real father, uncle Jide isn't your father, just your daddy cos we will be a family. Is that okay?
Little angel: okay mummy.
BABE!: i love you my angel.
Little angel: i love you too, mummy.

That should settle it.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Eiregirl(f): 11:50am On Dec 14, 2011
OH MY GOD!!!!!! The poor child! I'm not Nigerian, my husband is. He's Yoruba. I met him when my daughter was 10 months old. Her dad is VERY much in her life. My daughter is almost 7 years old now and she calls my husband by his first name!!!! He's not her dad, although he has reared her with me. I don't see the big deal. It's a name!!!! She calls her dad "dad" and she calls my husband by his first name!!!
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Nobody: 11:58am On Dec 14, 2011
freecocoa:

What are you people saying about calling him whatever she likes,that's not sense making,let her call him,DADDY 2 joor and her real father DADDY or call him PAPA while she maintains Dad for her father.

Seriously though,In nigeria this is even the least thing to worry about cos truss mi,there are lots of names to call him with UNCLE topping the list,in nigeria one doesn't have to be a relative before they can be your "uncle" we started having uncles from kindergarten through,primary and secondary schools,all our male teachers were"uncle"and the females"aunty" you can even tell a stranger "excuse me uncle or brother what's the time?"so its not even an issue likewise the "Daddy" sef,she's 6 she should be able to differentiate which one is her real dad,I have cousins of 4 and below who call my father "daddy"it doesn't mean they don't know their real dad,its just common to call an elderly person mum or dad especially the yoruba people sef.
If she was igbo,I'd have suggested she called him DEDE,come sef BABE!this your story is suspicious cos this wouldn't be an issue in naija especially with yoruba folks,she go don dey call am daddy before she even realize he wants to marry her mum.
You be real bush girl grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by freecocoa(f): 12:14pm On Dec 14, 2011
^
I agree,NAIJA till I kpai,na today? E don tey jare.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 14, 2011
Hardunnii:

She can call him whatever she likes, what you should be concerned abt is teaching your daughter moral principles which will be a diff task, since you dont have one urself, poor girl goodluck.
Who r u to judge her? is she not beta dan u dat hav done several abortions?! Abi,no be u again?!! undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by cynthiafred67(f): 1:11pm On Dec 14, 2011
She should call him Daddy, she is six she is old enough to know her real daddy.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by coogar: 1:15pm On Dec 14, 2011
deekseen:

Little angel: so in a week's time my uncle will now be my daddy? What about my real daddy?
BABE!: sweetheart, you'll call uncle Jide daddy because we will be living together as a family and he will be a father-figure in the house. Your real daddy is still your real father, uncle Jide isn't your father, just your daddy cos we will be a family. Is that okay?

That should settle it.

funny!

Hardunnii:

She can call him whatever she likes, what you should be concerned abt is teaching your daughter moral principles which will be a diff task, since you dont have one urself, poor girl goodluck.

unwise words!
i cannot see the immorality!
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by pendo89(f): 1:28pm On Dec 14, 2011
deekseen:

That should settle it.

i love this
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Hardunnii(f): 1:31pm On Dec 14, 2011
@kimberluge for the record, av never known a man
On d issue, she probably didnt marry d gals dad, now she's moving in wit anoda dude, its wrong, call a spade a spade n not a garden fork
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by coogar: 1:33pm On Dec 14, 2011
Hardunnii:

On d issue, [b]she probably [/b]didnt marry d gals dad, now she's moving in wit anoda dude, its wrong, call a spade a spade n not a garden fork

making an assumption and passing a judgement based on assumption.
yet another unwise action.

hardunni, you can do better.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 14, 2011
Eiregirl:

OH MY GOD!!!!!! The poor child! I'm not Nigerian, my husband is. He's Yoruba. I met him when my daughter was 10 months old. Her dad is VERY much in her life. My daughter is almost 7 years old now and she calls my husband by his first name!!!! He's not her dad, although he has reared her with me. I don't see the big deal. It's a name!!!! She calls her dad "dad" and she calls my husband by his first name!!!

It'll be a bit difficult for you to understand what we are talking about since you are NOT Nigerian, but in Nigeria, it's disrespectful to call an elder by his/her first name.

@ Babe!

I think you should go for Uncle since you are not married to your guy. He doesn't have to be her real uncle. Since you are Nigeria, I'd think you'd know that already! undecided

But if you guys were to be married, I'll advise you go for 'Daddy' . . . Like someone pointed out, there's nothing wrong with having 2 daddies. I have elderly Uncles who I call Papa and it hasn't twisted me yet!
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by BABE3: 1:52pm On Dec 14, 2011
D-sense:

Does someone has to be your uncle before u can be calling UNCLE?

Errrrmm-- YES!

Jenifa_:

We stay in England. That settles it.

Mynd_44:

Why not ask the guy what he would like to be called?
I eve doubt that this story is true cos a real guy born bread and buttered(and then yoruba) will not allow a woman who has a child by another man to move in with him unless they have done at least "INTRODUCTION" so this story is a hoax.

undecided

Eiregirl:

Hm. Interesting.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Igwe419: 1:53pm On Dec 14, 2011
Daddy slayer? grin

Igwe H.S.O.F.N
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 14, 2011
Hardunnii:

On d issue, she probably didnt marry d gals dad, now she's moving in wit anoda dude, its wrong, call a spade a spade n not a garden fork

Get off your high horse miss!! Just cos you've decided to keep your virginity doesn't give you the right to judge her . . .  It doesn't make you a better person either. How she lives her life is up to her and you have no right to judge her.

As far as she maintains a responsible relationship with the men in her life, I see NOTHING wrong with her moving in with her bf.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Kx: 2:03pm On Dec 14, 2011
Whatever she calls him under the circumstance does not matter so long as it is not daddy since she will be seeing her dad from time to time.
[b]Uncle [/b]is the most reasonable.
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by BABE3: 2:03pm On Dec 14, 2011
freecocoa:

I'm Yoruba, and I'm not bush!  angry The only person that should be called "daddy" is your "legal" daddy. The only people that should be called "uncles" are your damn Uncles.

A name/title should be "invented" for folks in my partner's situation.

deekseen:

Little angel: Ermm No mummy. I have a REAL daddy and a FAKE daddy?
BABE!: No, baby. Not atall.
Little angel: You just said my dad is my REAL father, which makes Uncle Jide a FAKE.
BABE!:Uncle Jide is not your real father, neither is he fake. He is your "father-figure".
Little angel: Mummy?
BABE!: Yes angel?
Little angle: What is the opposite of Real, and why do I have two daddies? My best friend has only one.  cry cry cry cry angry sad sad
BABE!:  ------------

Matter not settled. You nefa jam. My baby is smart! grin
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by jaybee3(m): 2:05pm On Dec 14, 2011
Uncle
Re: "What Should My Daughter Call Him?" by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 14, 2011
As far as she maintains a responsible relationship with the men in her life, I see NOTHING wrong with her moving in with her bf.
Really? Like seriously? Nothing wrong moving in with who you are not married to?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

12 Characteristics Of A Bad Boy / Hilarious: 7 Photos That Show How Terribly Bad Nigerians Are At Kissing / When Will Nigeran Ladies Start Looking Like This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.