Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,310 members, 7,836,353 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! (19499 Views)

Why Am Not Visible At Buhari Campaigns - Atiku Talks To BBC / Prof. Osinbajo Blast Jonathan After Presidential Media Chat / GEJ Presidential Media Chat - Live Channels TV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by jascon1(m): 7:56am On Dec 24, 2011
whatz there to talk? actions, pls!
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by VoodooDoll(m): 8:18am On Dec 24, 2011
Every four months, under GEJ's borrowing rate of N100bn a month Nigeria borrows N400bn.

N400bn is higher than Nigeria's health budget, our police budget, our defence budget and our education budget.

Despite this huge debt overhang GEJ intends to borrow more.

Whilst I do not doubt Nigeria's capacity to borrow more based on an expected GDP on a recalculated basis of c$400bn, the issue is what the money is being spent on. Nigeria is borrowing to feed a bloated executive and a bloated national assembly.

Sacrifice some fat cows in the executive and national assembly first before asking commoners to make sacrifices.
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by luluosas(m): 8:20am On Dec 24, 2011
I had to tune my tv to watch super story and abandoned GEJ and his lies.
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by Kobojunkie: 8:35am On Dec 24, 2011
Any company that spends more than it produces needs to engage in some serious downsizing and restructuring. Government is bloated and we spend so much more taking care of it than it produces. We need to cut it by more than half and then add back only that which we need to. Jonathan made it more than obvious yesterday that he does not have faith in his own Government.
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by VoodooDoll(m): 8:49am On Dec 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Any company that spends more than it produces needs to engage in some serious downsizing and restructuring. Government is bloated and we spend so much more taking care of it than it produces. We need to cut it by more than half and then add back only that which we need to. Jonathan made it more than obvious yesterday that he does not have faith in his own Government.

So true. Instead we get half truths and actions plans that are the opposite of the half-truths. The borrowing rate has accelerated to N100bn a month or N3bn a day. Since GEJ's budget proposal on 14 December, he has borrowed N30bn.

What were the promises he made pre-election and what's the road map to achieving them! No one knows. Instead all we hear about is 1) tenure elongation, 2) subsidy removal and 3) cabals.
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by Nobody: 9:00am On Dec 24, 2011
VoodooDoll:

So true. Instead we get half truths and actions plans that are the opposite of the half-truths. The borrowing rate has accelerated to N100bn a month or N3bn a day. Since GEJ's budget proposal on 14 December, he has borrowed N30bn.

What were the promises he made pre-election and what's the road map to achieving them! No one knows. Instead all we hear about is 1) tenure elongation, 2) subsidy removal and 3) cabals.
Whats the borrowed funds used for 1. Subsidy 2. Power projects. 3. Over-bloated ministries and parastatals 4. National Assemblies

Listen buddy, Subsidy has to go; Ministries has to be merged, We dont need so many people in the national assemblies, do we even need lower and upper house ? Everything is wrong and the President says, remove subsidy, let merged parastatals. Sanusi keep shouting that a third of our income goes to financing those pot-bellied good for nothing law makers who go about buying houses for girls and fainting on their stomachs at night.
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by VoodooDoll(m): 9:31am On Dec 24, 2011
GEJ and his supporters talk a good fight.

He has the largest bureaucracy Nigeria has ever seen, he is accumulating the biggest debt Nigeria has ever accumulated and this has been over a period of extremely high Oil prices and strong GDP growth.

Since 2007, GEJ has been close to power or in power yet cannot name even one single substantive project. Instead we get hot air.
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by BIGERBOY1: 9:38am On Dec 24, 2011
Let me tell the Leomax and beafs in here that yes SUBSIDY MUST GO, but definitely NOT NOW, we can't trust the govt which have depleted our foreign reserves in the face of rising oil prices with a trillion dollars of subsidy savings.

First and foremost fix the wastages lickages in govt which will provide more than half a trillion in savings b4 removing subsidy. Here is an analogy when u go to fetch water with a basket, u can't solve the problem of not filing the basket by getting a bigger bowl to pour water in the basket, u need to fix the lickages in the basket first. That's the similitude of the current system we r running, a basket which will never b full even if u add subsidy savings.

Finally GEJ attested that buhari is not corrupt that's why he handled PTF so splendidly, I will suggest he gets a person like buhari to head any group of trustee that will over see the subsidy money spending. Coz I know he will gladly resign if he senses any magu magu. But that is a wild call, coz buhari will never want anything to do with this magu magu government.
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by BetaThings: 9:45am On Dec 24, 2011
LeoMax:

Whats the borrowed funds used for 1. Subsidy 2. Power projects. 3. Over-bloated ministries and parastatals 4. National Assemblies

Listen buddy, Subsidy has to go; Ministries has to be merged, We dont need so many people in the national assemblies, do we even need lower and upper house  ? Everything is wrong and the President says, remove subsidy, let merged parastatals. Sanusi keep shouting that a third of our income goes to financing those pot-bellied good for nothing law makers who go about buying houses for girls and fainting on their stomachs at night.

The job you are doing was done for Abacha, Obj etc
When in the future somebody is telling you that Nigeria's GDP has overataken America's don't be surprised. He is just stepping into your shoes

GEJ told the Danjuma council (PAC) that he could not reduce the size of government because he must uphold the constitution
The constitution says 1 minister per state ie 36 ministers. Jonathan has 42 ministers
After the PAC advice, Jonathan appointed more advisers including Bianca
The issue of advisers is entirely left to the discretion of the President
Jonathan created at least one ministry that I am sure = Communications Technology
In the current 2012 national budget just announced, there is a provision for veterinary clinic at Aso Rock
http://www.budgetoffice.gov.ng/2012_budget_pro_details/1.%20Summary_Presidency1.pdf

PROCUREMENT OF STATE HOUSE VETERINARY CLINIC EQUIPMENT (X-RAYS MACHINE, ACCESSORIES & SETTING UP OF RADIOLOGY SECTION): X-RAYS MACHINE, ACCESSORIES AND SETTING UP OF RADIOLOGY SECTION = N20,800,500 etc
Delivery room, Horse Stable etc

For somebody who got some votes when he said he did not have shoes, he has really acquired some aristocratic taste
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by BetaThings: 9:59am On Dec 24, 2011
VoodooDoll:

Nigeria's domestic debt since 2007

Domestic debt  
OBJ/Atiku years
Dec 1999: N794bn
Dec 2000: N898bn
Dec 2001: N1,017bn
Dec 2002: N1,166bn
Dec 2003: N1,329bn
Dec 2004: N1,370bn
Dec 2005: N1,525bn
Dec 2006: N1,753bn

OBJ/Atiku added N959bn in 8 years, an average of N120bn a year.  However OBJ/Atiku saw foreign debt of $30bn repaid or forgiven.

Yaradua/GEJ
Dec 2007: N2,169bn
Dec 2008: N2,320bn
Dec 2009: N3,228bn

Yaradua took our debt from N1,753bn inherited from OBJ and added N1,059bn in 3 years, an average of N353bn a year.

GEJ/Sambo
Dec 2010: N4,551bn
Mar 2011: N4,869bn
Sep 2011: N5,318bn

GEJ has taken our debt from N3,228bn inherited from Yaradua and added N2,087n in less than 2 years. Every month GEJ has added debt of N99bn (more than Nigeria's 2012 agric budget of N79bn)

Surely Nigeria needs a better explanation than just "trust him", "he means well" or "he is passionate".

The N2,087bn he has borrowed in 2 years nko, what has he done with it?

Source:
2007 to 2008 (http://www.dmo.gov.ng/oci/debtstock/docs/Domestic%20debt%20stock%20and%20Service%201999%20-%202008.pdf)
2009:  http://www.dmo.gov.ng/oci/debtstock/docs/Domestic%20Debt%20Stock%20Outstanding%20By%20Instrument%20as%20at%2031st%20December,%202010.pdf

2010: http://www.dmo.gov.ng/oci/debtstock/docs/Domestic%20Debt%20Stock%20Outstanding%20By%20Instrument%20as%20at%2031st%20December,%202010.pdf

Mar 2011: http://www.dmo.gov.ng/oci/debtstock/docs/Domestic_Debt_Stock_by_Instrument_march2011.pdf

Sep 2011: http://www.dmo.gov.ng/oci/debtstock/docs/Domestic_Debt_Stock_Outstanding_by_Instrument_as_at_30th_September_2011.pdf

Pls Can you chart this and post
I can chart but don't know how to attach it
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by Nobody: 10:00am On Dec 24, 2011
@BIGER BOY

I applaud your effort to deviate from extreme stance of pro-subsidy personalities. It means we have a futuristic agreement. Unfortunately, Jonathan is a political offspring of the godfathers of subsidy benefiting mafiaso. "Fixing the leakages" I assume will involve putting people behind bars. Its like putting the same people who put you in Government in prison. These persons behind the scene with one phone call will the national assembles against you. These are power brokers and we know them. They own most of our oil-wells. Jonathan can only ignore the past or the country will witness another episode of fiasco.  Its a complex system. The same mafia involved in subsidy cake are the same crop that received licenses to build refineries. Ask yourself, Why should I build refineries with billions when I can simply order tankers of products on F.O.B and pay with bank loans at arrival and still sell at neighbouring countries at 200% profit mark-up and the government still pays me.  The fastest and clear-cut approach is "remove the damn subsidy" The same mafiaso that gains from subsidy will start building refineries. Why do you think Jonathan will not revoke those licenses. Brother, the more you look. The more your hair will gray, you are dealing with a complex situation here. Trust the trio Jona, Ngozi and SLS. They are doing the right thing, at least for now
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by Nobody: 10:07am On Dec 24, 2011
BetaThings:

The job you are doing was done for Abacha, Obj etc
When in the future somebody is telling you that Nigeria's GDP has overataken America's don't be surprised. He is just stepping into your shoes

GEJ told the Danjuma council (PAC) that he could not reduce the size of government because he must uphold the constitution
The constitution says 1 minister per state ie 36 ministers. Jonathan has 42 ministers
After the PAC advice, Jonathan appointed more advisers including Bianca
The issue of advisers is entirely left to the discretion of the President
Jonathan created at least one ministry that I am sure = Communications Technology
In the current 2012 national budget just announced, there is a provision for veterinary clinic at Aso Rock
http://www.budgetoffice.gov.ng/2012_budget_pro_details/1.%20Summary_Presidency1.pdf

PROCUREMENT OF STATE HOUSE VETERINARY CLINIC EQUIPMENT (X-RAYS MACHINE, ACCESSORIES & SETTING UP OF RADIOLOGY SECTION): X-RAYS MACHINE, ACCESSORIES AND SETTING UP OF RADIOLOGY SECTION = N20,800,500 etc
Delivery room, Horse Stable etc

For somebody who got some votes when he said he did not have shoes, he has really acquired some aristocratic taste
So Danjuma wanted Jonathan to go against the constitutional provision. The first thing is for the constitutional that provides for certain numbers of ministers to be appointed to be amended, The President has no powers to go against constitutional provisions. And what is wrong with having pets at Aso Rock bro. Obama has a dog at white House, dont you have a pet at your home ?
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 24, 2011
People say Government should build more refineries. Thats laughable cos the present ones were built by governments and government in Nigeria can not manage refineries. So thats ruled out. Building refineries is a private sector investment. And who will build refinery when government keeps subsidizing and keeping the price at fixed rate. Investors in Refineries wont make money, so tell me if the Dangote's of this world will invest billions to sell at government subsidized rate. It will be a loss. I repeat. The damn subsidy has to be removed. Postponing the subsidy removal is like keeping Yaradua (May he RIP) on life support machine.
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by dmainboss: 10:14am On Dec 24, 2011
1. I VOTED JONATHAN AND AM VERY PROUD I DID. Those of you who didnt vote him were fools and you will eat your words. Thank God I didnt vote anyone else. I will vote him over and over again!

2. Comparing Nigeria's borrowing of 1990 or 2000 to 2010 is just ridiculous. What was the population of Nigerian then? People in their bid to criticize and justify their cynicism just type all sorts of crap. The debt has increased because the population and, consequently, the demands of society has increased. That is elementary stuff. And this is the first time in a long time a president has ensured fuel is constantly available. That means, subsidy has been provided constantly for importers to keep importing fuel. Unlike governments did in the past, which led to fuel shortages and scarcity in the past.

3. If the man is dull and still beat Atiku, who was one of the foremost politicians in the country from the famous Shehu Musa Yaradua PDM camp and beat the combination of IBB, Atiku, Gusau and Saraki in the PDP primaries and went on to beat Buhari silly in the presidential race, then I will like to be as dull as this man. Period! This is very productive and successfull dullness. I will rather be a successful "retardeen" president than be a couch potato keyboard cynic typing their ignorance. lol
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by VoodooDoll(m): 10:30am On Dec 24, 2011
Nigeria's population was 106m in 1999 and is said to be 160m in 2011.  Our debt has grown from N794bn in 1999 to N5,318bn in 2011.

Which means that every man woman and child owed N7,500 in 1999 but now owes N33,238 in 2011 without any capital infrastructure or improvements to show for it and some people don't see a problem with that!

Source:
1999 to 2008 (http://www.dmo.gov.ng/oci/debtstock/docs/Domestic%20debt%20stock%20and%20Service%201999%20-%202008.pdf)
2009:  http://www.dmo.gov.ng/oci/debtstock/docs/Domestic%20Debt%20Stock%20Outstanding%20By%20Instrument%20as%20at%2031st%20December,%202010.pdf

2010: http://www.dmo.gov.ng/oci/debtstock/docs/Domestic%20Debt%20Stock%20Outstanding%20By%20Instrument%20as%20at%2031st%20December,%202010.pdf

Mar 2011: http://www.dmo.gov.ng/oci/debtstock/docs/Domestic_Debt_Stock_by_Instrument_march2011.pdf

Sep 2011: http://www.dmo.gov.ng/oci/debtstock/docs/Domestic_Debt_Stock_Outstanding_by_Instrument_as_at_30th_September_2011.pdf

Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by dmainboss: 10:36am On Dec 24, 2011
^^^ again another flawed analysis. What was the cost of oil in 1999? What was the cost of a simple commodity, e.g cement in 1999 and cement in 2010? What was the exchange rate in 1999 compared to 2010? You have to do proper economics my friend or ask an economist to help you. You just cant compare figures directly between 2 different periods without looking at the factors that existed in both and without considering inflation rates

For example if government borrowed money, say 1 billion dollars,  to build an airport in 1999 and now they want to build another airport in 2010, how much do you think they will borrow? I billion dollars again? You need to do a much more credible computation my friend.
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by VoodooDoll(m): 10:42am On Dec 24, 2011
GEJ sycophants are the people feasting on the huge recurrent expenditure. They are literally eating the future of unborn generations.
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by dmainboss: 10:48am On Dec 24, 2011
^^^ I see u are tactically avoiding the point.

So the National assembly are all GEJ sycophants? Dont forget the NASS who are spending such ovverheard consist of people from all the parties. The same members of the opposition who are against removal of subsidy. Please address my points above
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by VoodooDoll(m): 10:58am On Dec 24, 2011
You've assumed I'm a party hack. You are defending a spectacular failure in leadership.

Sycophants and political vagabonds are selling the lives of future generations.

Nigeria's CIC had a chat yesterday asking for trust but he is impotent and incompetent as he can not face the people looting the country blind. He swore to uphold the constitution and now can't look the public in their eyes.

Dude, I have a business to run so I take my exit. Sycophants who feast on the carcass of the unborn do not deserve a reply especially when they act like trolls!
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by dmainboss: 11:12am On Dec 24, 2011
^^^You give a flawed analysis and expect everyone to applaud you? How can a government that just started be a spectacular failure? What an Oxymoron! A government is handed a 50 year old mess to sort out and you say he is a failure in less than a year. When policies are just coming into place. You must be objective and logical when you post or else you will be labeled a party hack and cynic or worst still a tribal bigot.

You just threw figures around and expected us to applaud you as a guru. It doesnt work that way bro and no amount of bullying will make falsehood become truth or make sensible people accept propaganda!
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by BetaThings: 11:17am On Dec 24, 2011
dmainboss:

^^^ I see u are tactically avoiding the point.

So the National assembly are all GEJ sycophants? Dont forget the NASS who are spending such ovverheard consist of people from all the parties. The same members of the opposition who are against removal of subsidy. Please address my points above

Your argument has no basis. Even GEJ was asked yesterday what he would do if the NASS fail to support his fuel removal programme
GEJ said I am a member of the ruling party
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by dmainboss: 11:27am On Dec 24, 2011
^^^Meaning what? He will buly NASS to accept his move? Didnt the Reps vote in someone as their leader against the wish of the party? Or you have forgotten so soon? NASS is an independent body. No president can bully them to submission. Period!
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by proudly9ja(m): 11:28am On Dec 24, 2011
LeoMax:

@BIGER BOY

I applaud your effort to deviate from extreme stance of pro-subsidy personalities. It means we have a futuristic agreement. Unfortunately, Jonathan is a political offspring of the godfathers of subsidy benefiting mafiaso. "Fixing the leakages" I assume will involve putting people behind bars. Its like putting the same people who put you in Government in prison. These persons behind the scene with one phone call will the national assembles against you. These are power brokers and we know them. They own most of our oil-wells. Jonathan can only ignore the past or the country will witness another episode of fiasco.  Its a complex system. The same mafia involved in subsidy cake are the same crop that received licenses to build refineries. Ask yourself, Why should I build refineries with billions when I can simply order tankers of products on F.O.B and pay with bank loans at arrival and still sell at neighbouring countries at 200% profit mark-up and the government still pays me.  The fastest and clear-cut approach is "remove the damn subsidy" The same mafiaso that gains from subsidy will start building refineries. Why do you think Jonathan will not revoke those licenses. Brother, the more you look. The more your hair will gray, you are dealing with a complex situation here. Trust the trio Jona, Ngozi and SLS. They are doing the right thing, at least for now
I believe many Nigerians who look at the system from an unbiased point of view will know that subsidy has to go. However what Nigerians don't agree with is the timing and sincerity of government. By your own admission, Jona cannot deal with the people who brought him to power. Considering that these people will lose out financially when subsidy finally goes, do you not also think they have plans to gain from whatever money we save for subsidy? Or do you think that they will fold their arms and watch? If Jona cannot deal with them now, he cannot deal with them ever.
Already, the governors are already discussing how the states will share the money accrued. By Jona's own admission, the states will get a large chunk of this money. I can bet that if subsidy goes, the governors will spend another 1 year debating on how to increase whatever amount allocatted to them and guess what, They will have their way. The same thing happened to the excess crude account.

Secondly, you have put your faith in Okonjo et al. You've forgotten that OBJ's government had even more so called intelligent men and women of integrity including Okonjo herself. They even had a vibrant EFCC at that time to deal with anyone not towing the line. If that group disappointed us, what guarantees that this group won't? Ngozi tried to tell us at the Town Hall meeting that we should not mistake the so called cabal with legitimate business men. In my view, she's already trying to shield the Dangotes, Otedolas, etc all members of the Economic group. GEJ also added to it last night by saying there's no cabal only a group of legitimate business men taking advantage of government loopholes. GEJ has shown that he does not have a hold of what he is dealing with.

Finally, do you not think that Nigerians would have been more persuaded if GEJ and co had come out post May 29 and declared some of the sacrifices they will make as leaders? What sacrifices have they made? Has he reduced the number of people who fly with him abroad? Has he slashed the amount we spend on estacode? Someone posted above about spending over 20 million on a vet clinic and noone sees anything wrong with this in these austere times? If government is not ready to make sacrifices, why should the people make sacrifices? Is that not wickedness?
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by proudly9ja(m): 11:30am On Dec 24, 2011
BetaThings:

Your argument has no basis. Even GEJ was asked yesterday what he would do if the NASS fail to support his fuel removal programme
GEJ said I am a member of the ruling party
This scared me yesterday cos it means that the goverment does not have an alternative plan. If the senate does not approve or the people revolt against subsidy, there's no alternative. 2012 will sure be a 'hot' one whichever direction things go
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by ratiken(m): 11:42am On Dec 24, 2011
Until Corruption is dealt with from the top, the troubles of Nigeria will remain but can only be transformed from one form to the other , Rati Ken
90% of Nigerian populace do not understand these dynamics being discussed whether they will work or ever implemented, the first reaction from the subsidy removal might be all required to put this country in a state of choas. Things are gonna get messy in 2012, brace up guys, enough of the stories, Its still PDP we are talking abt here, Never trust
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by BetaThings: 11:42am On Dec 24, 2011
dmainboss:

^^^You give a flawed analysis and expect everyone to applaud you? How can a government that just started be a spectacular failure? What an Oxymoron! A government is handed a 50 year old mess to sort out and you say he is a failure in less than a year. When policies are just coming into place. You must be objective and logical when you post or else you will be labeled a party hack and cynic or worst still a tribal bigot.

You just threw figures around and expected us to applaud you as a guru. It doesnt work that way bro and no amount of bullying will make falsehood become truth or make sensible people accept propaganda!

Jonathan has been in office for 21months, ie longer than Buhari spent in office
50yr old mess? How
You mean that ALL past governments have done nothing
I don't like Obj, but I might start mentioning his achievements
Any reform in the power sector = states can generate power etc is due  to the NESR Act of 2005 passed by Obj
Tell us the constitutional reform (apart from single term) that Jonathan has proposed

Even if you argue that Jonathan has not been around for long, he sure has been able to grow our debt faster than the rate at which GDP is growing or even the level of depreciation of the Naira
BTW, forget 1999. What has been happening since Feb 2010 when Jonathan assumed office

Jonathan has been selling oil at high price and in large quantities since he is a post amnesty Ag president and president
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by joe4christ(m): 11:46am On Dec 24, 2011
"We voted for JONAH & not PDP". Hahahahahahaha, pls do enjoy your fresh air.
Retardeens, all of ya!!!
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by BetaThings: 11:46am On Dec 24, 2011
dmainboss:

^^^Meaning what? He will buly NASS to accept his move? Didnt the Reps vote in someone as their leader against the wish of the party? Or you have forgotten so soon? NASS is an independent body. No president can bully them to submission. Period!
Ask him, not me. He is your man in whom you have absolute confidence!
As to bullying, he can resort to that. We saw the intimidation in Bayelsa recently at the PDP primary
The security on land, air and at sea was frightening.
And of course, pure old bribery will be added.
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by joe4christ(m): 11:50am On Dec 24, 2011
[size=75pt] "We voted for JONAH & not PDP". Hahahahahahaha, pls do enjoy your fresh air.
Retardeens, all of ya!!!
Infact I Dey VEeeeeeeeeex!!!!! Aarrrrg!
[/size]
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by BetaThings: 11:51am On Dec 24, 2011
dmainboss:

^^^ again another flawed analysis. What was the cost of oil in 1999? What was the cost of a simple commodity, e.g cement in 1999 and cement in 2010? What was the exchange rate in 1999 compared to 2010? You have to do proper economics my friend or ask an economist to help you. You just cant compare figures directly between 2 different periods without looking at the factors that existed in both and without considering inflation rates

For example if government borrowed money, say 1 billion dollars,  to build an airport in 1999 and now they want to build another airport in 2010, how much do you think they will borrow? I billion dollars again? You need to do a much more credible computation my friend.

Is this guy with PhD in Econ from England also an illiterate too?
http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/analysis/columnists/30984-the-debt-in-2012-budget

This year (2011), just six years after Nigeria’s glorious exit from the Paris Club of Creditors, the country’s total debt is more than its 2005 levels in US dollar terms. In 2005, before the debt deal, Nigeria’s total debt was US$ 32 billion. But in 2011, it has increased to US$40 billion
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by BetaThings: 11:59am On Dec 24, 2011
VoodooDoll:

Nigeria's population was 106m in 1999 and is said to be 160m in 2011.  Our debt has grown from N794bn in 1999 to N5,318bn in 2011.

Which means that every man woman and child owed N7,500 in 1999 but now owes N33,238 in 2011 without any capital infrastructure or improvements to show for it and some people don't see a problem with that!

Source:
1999 to 2008 (http://www.dmo.gov.ng/oci/debtstock/docs/Domestic%20debt%20stock%20and%20Service%201999%20-%202008.pdf)
2009:  http://www.dmo.gov.ng/oci/debtstock/docs/Domestic%20Debt%20Stock%20Outstanding%20By%20Instrument%20as%20at%2031st%20December,%202010.pdf

Excellent work!
Thanks
Don't mind the "analytical" red herring that the man was trying to throw up
When Jonathan talks about his achievements, does he mention all the caveats that the guy is putting in
Has Jonathan ever mentioned the gini coefficient, human development index while talking about his achievements
Jonathan has piled up debt the fastest in recent history. And somebody is talking of inheriting a mess
He is also depleting reserves
He will hand over a basket-case to his successor

Let us ignore distractions
Re: GEJ Talks To The Media: Presidential Media Chat Live! by dmainboss: 12:23pm On Dec 24, 2011
BetaThings:

Is this guy with PhD in Econ from England also an illiterate too?
http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/analysis/columnists/30984-the-debt-in-2012-budget

This year (2011), just six years after Nigeria’s glorious exit from the Paris Club of Creditors, the country’s total debt is more than its 2005 levels in US dollar terms. In 2005, before the debt deal, Nigeria’s total debt was US$ 32 billion. But in 2011, it has increased to US$40 billion

So if he has PhD in Econ? Are there not hundreds of PhD in Econs all over Europe and America and their economies are still going downhill? The problem with book people is that they just quote theories but leave out bigger factors like cultural and political factors. Sometimes, these other factors have more influence in economies than just the laws of demand and supply. That is why the western economies are still going down with all their book knowledge.

BetaThings:

Ask him, not me. He is your man in whom you have absolute confidence!
As to bullying, he can resort to that. We saw the intimidation in Bayelsa recently at the PDP primary
The security on land, air and at sea was frightening.
And of course, pure old bribery will be added.

I did not tell you I have full confidence in GEJ. I will be a fool to tell you he is doing 100%. My point is, the guy is reeling out some great policies and he needs support not outright condemnation when he hasnt even started. All those who bashed him and called him names when he mentioned fuel subsidy are now turning around to accept it albeit, with conditions. But initially, he was called all sorts of names and termed a failure for even mentioning that fuel subsidy must go. The same will later apply to the one term proposal. People must listen and thoroughly scrutinize before condemning. Like was said in the debate, there has been a lot of distrust accumulated inherited from previous governments, but we must give him a chance to do what is right. Judging him at this time is totally wrong and in many cases, a product of partisan stance.

BetaThings:

Jonathan has been in office for 21months, ie longer than Buhari spent in office
50yr old mess? How
You mean that ALL past governments have done nothing
I don't like Obj, but I might start mentioning his achievements
Any reform in the power sector = states can generate power etc is due  to the NESR Act of 2005 passed by Obj
Tell us the constitutional reform (apart from single term) that Jonathan has proposed

Even if you argue that Jonathan has not been around for long, he sure has been able to grow our debt faster than the rate at which GDP is growing or even the level of depreciation of the Naira
BTW, forget 1999. What has been happening since Feb 2010 when Jonathan assumed office

Jonathan has been selling oil at high price and in large quantities since he is a post amnesty Ag president and president

Just look again at your post. OBJ was there for 8 years. GEJ has only being there like 8 months and you compare them. Does that sound fair in your books?
Again, OBJ took office in 1999. He passed the NESR in 2005, That is six years down the line to even formulate such a bill. It seems you didnt notice that. Again, a bill that was passed in 2005 was implemented in 2011. Another six years later and you think the whole credit should go to the man who passed it 6 years ago. Doesnt sound fair or reasonable, does it? Give the man his credit when it it due. That is why some of us will come out and support him because some of the criticisms look too biased. If he didnt believe in or supported the NESR act, will he be implementing it?

Just to remind you:

GEJ presided over the new electoral act that is accepted by almost everyone. The act was used to conduct one of the freest and fairest elections in the country under GEJ's watch. Hope you havent forgotten so soon. He has gone ahead to pass the FOI bill and several other bills in this short period. Now we are on the verge of deregulation of the oil sector and the energy sector and you still say the guy is not competent. Please what is your yardstick for competence. I will like to know please!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Buhari Did Not Refuse Any Rolls Royce From Us” – High Commissioner To The UK / Kwara APC Governorship Candidate Escape Assassination / Profile Of Dauda Lawal, Zamfara Governor-Elect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.