Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,897 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (43321 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Breeze5000: 11:51pm On Jan 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Ah! [b]It's unfair to dismiss Regina Askia's acting skills [/b]because of her beauty. She held her own very well with Liz Benson in Fortunes!!

It's not like anybody is dismissing her, just telling it like it is. She is fun to be with or be around but she is not what you call an actor. Trust me when I say I know, They use her because of her beauty. Any beautiful girl like her can land a role in nollywood regardless of whether you can act or not. By the way I like Regina a lot, she is fun  but not what you would call a proper actor. She would be in the league of say, Oge Okoye definitely not in the league of Mercy Johnson or Genny when it comes to acting
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:52pm On Jan 30, 2012
coogar:
at the expense of the audience? would that really wash?
unless they let them speak unadulterated igbo language and the ish is translated like "passion of the christ" where 90% of the cast were chosen deliberately because they could speak aramaic/hebrew!

and what would be wrong with that?

and in Sarafina, you can hear their accent very well in their English ESPECIALLY the lead actress yet no one had a problem with it. Nigerians are so insecure.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 11:53pm On Jan 30, 2012
Ndipe:

He who pays the piper dictates the tune, that's the truth in most cases.

If a foreign production company is paying for the rights of this book to be adapted into a movie, then they are at liberty to cast anybody that they deem fit, in this movie. Otherwise, Nollywood could finance this project also and cast a Nigerian actress to play the lead.

Lets stop raising a storm over a teacup.

Gbam!

coogar:

these names would be on my list too, they all have excellent dictions and the elocution is perfect!
you can leave a caucasian with these ones in the movie without having to re-pronounce what they have said. that is the key!

stephanie okereke and dakore egbsuon speak very well too.

Patience actually has PERFECT diction and grasp of the English Language and puts it to effective use. She may not have a   British sounding accent but her command of English is spotless. I put this out there so that you can watch her acting skills closely after this. She has performed roles from gangstress to village woman and back - she is definitely in the top tier. But I digress.

Stephanie Okereke is meh, IMO.

@TOF I agree that Zach Orji is pretty good.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by vicade(m): 11:55pm On Jan 30, 2012
Nigerians get issues sha. Hotel Rwanada had don cheadle as lead cast and he aint fron rwanda. Last King of Scotland had forrest whittaker who is not ugandan play Idi Amin.Invictus had morgan freeman play nelson mandela and freeman aint south african. Hollywood is Hollywood. Big names make a difference and they will compel people in europe and americas to watch it. If you want genevieve nnaji or pete edochie to be in d movie its fine-Just go to alaba and seek for funds and make ur own nollywood movie. If u lucky ozone cinemas might show it.​
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 11:55pm On Jan 30, 2012
coogar:

you are a genius!
i was trying to remember that tv series since. . . . .you just brought it to me right now.
fortunes it was called. . . .lai asadele, liz benson, segun arinze, jt tom west, ramsey nouah and pat attah.
classic tv show. one of the best in naija if not the best.
Yep, one of the best!! Checkmate being the very best!!

ThiefOfHearts:

I would put Zack Orji over Pete Edochie IMO

Sisi_Kill abeg, Regina is a one trick pony

No Karma, it's the writers and directors who make her one dimensional. They capitalize on her beauty at the expense of her talent. Give her a meaty role and you will be amazed at what she can do with it.

Someone like Regina Askia whose beauty can be polarizing on screen is better suited for Soap Opera because it gives the audience the chance to get used to her beauty, look past it and get into her character.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:56pm On Jan 30, 2012
Breeze5000:

By the way I like Regina a lot, she is fun  but not what you would call a proper actor. She would be in the league of say, Oge Okoye definitely not in the league of Mercy Johnson or Genny when it comes to acting

Completely agree

when I watched Distance Between, I knew Mercy wasnt just any kind actress. she was amazing in that role.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 11:57pm On Jan 30, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

and what would be wrong with that?

and in Sarafina, you can hear their accent very well in their English ESPECIALLY the lead actress yet no one had a problem with it. Nigerians are so insecure.

my dear, compare like for like.
sarafina was set on location in soweto. they can only use native south africans or what would be the essence of shipping african americans down to soweto?
half of a yellow sun would not be set in nigeria. they would probably use hawaii again as location so there's a striking difference.

Breeze5000:

It's not like anybody is dismissing her, just telling it like it is. She is fun to be with or be around but she is not what you call an actor. Trust me when I say I know,  They use her because of her beauty. Any beautiful girl like her can land a role in nollywood regardless of whether you can act or not. By the way I like Regina a lot, she is fun  but not what you would call a proper actor. She would be in the league of say, Oge Okoye definitely not in the league of Mercy Johnson or Genny when it comes to acting

genevieve can act i agree mercy johnson knows how to be whorish in movies but genevieve?
i don't think so.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Sagamite(m): 11:59pm On Jan 30, 2012
Point 1: Thandie Newton would help with film's promotion and hence generate more revenue.

Point 2: How many Nigerian actresses can really act before producers can find an Igbo one.

Point 3: If you want to make real money in film, you audience will not have a jack arse clue what is authentic Igbo accent, hence Thandie will be just fine.

Money over inane cultural pride.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:59pm On Jan 30, 2012
coogar:

half of a yellow sun would not be set in nigeria. they would probably use hawaii again as location so there's a striking difference.

where did you get this info from?

and how would it make ANY sense NOT to shoot the movie in Naija?  
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:01am On Jan 31, 2012
Sagamite:

Point 1: Thandie Newton would help with film's promotion and hence generate more revenue.

That is what Chiwetel is for.

Can any of you even name a movie Thandie has been in? Im quite sure I know whether or not she's actually talented more than those in this thread.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 12:02am On Jan 31, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

where did you get this info from?

and how would it make ANY sense NOT to shoot the movie in Naija?  

the politically unstable nigeria?
mine-ridden fields of congo republic have a better chance. . . .
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by SisiKill1: 12:05am On Jan 31, 2012
coogar:

genevieve can act i agree mercy johnson knows how to be whorish in movies but genevieve?
i don't think so.
LMFAO!   cheesy cheesy cheesy

I thought I was the only one who felt that way about Genevieve!!

Just frowning all over the place like someone who in a perpetual state of depression with all the world's problems on her shoulder. Even she is supposed to be in Love and Happy. . .you can't feel it with her because she comes off as if everything is such a chore and she'd rather not deal with it.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by coogar: 12:08am On Jan 31, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

LMFAO!   cheesy cheesy cheesy

I thought I was the only one who felt that way about Genevieve!!

Just frowning all over the place like someone who in a perpetual state of depression with all the world's problems on her shoulder. Even she is supposed to be in Love and Happy. . .you can't feel it with her because she comes off as if everything is such a chore and she'd rather not deal with it.

the most overrated nollywood actress of all time!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 12:09am On Jan 31, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Yep, one of the best!! Checkmate being the very best!!

No Karma, it's the writers and directors who make her one dimensional. They capitalize on her beauty at the expense of her talent. Give her a meaty role and you will be amazed at what she can do with it.

Someone like Regina Askia whose beauty can be polarizing on screen is better suited for Soap Opera because it gives the audience the chance to get used to her beauty, look past it and get into her character.

This is the situation for most Nollywood actors, unfortunately  sad.

I can think of several Nigerian actresses, however, who would have done a better job with that HIV victim role in the clip I posted.

Back to the subject of Nollywood - I wonder why no one has thought to toy with Historical Nigerian movies (not pre-colonial though. More like pre or post independence).

I mean who wouldn't want to see a thriller based on Nigeria's first coup, starring actors who will take on the roles of Nzeogwu, Balewa, Ironsi, Gowon, Ojukwu, Awolowo, IBB, etc? Controversial movies like that will sell like hotcake  grin
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Sagamite(m): 12:18am On Jan 31, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Can any of you even name a movie Thandie has been in? Im quite sure I know whether or not she's actually talented more than those in this thread.

As a producer, if I can throw Whoopi Goldberg, Oprah Winfrey, Morgan Freeman, Queen Latifah, Don Cheadle, Vivica Fox all in, I would.

The more the merrier.

I know she was in Crash and Mission Impossible, that is far better than any Igbo girl can bring to the table to help my top line (Revenue).
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 12:19am On Jan 31, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Can any of you even name a movie Thandie has been in?   Im quite sure I know whether or not she's actually talented more than those in this thread.

Honestly though - I think she will give a cringe-worthy performance. Kinda like how she was in Crash (HORRIBLE African American accent). Ah well, let's see how things go.

I have a feeling that the actors won't lend an authenticity that Nigerians can identify with. However, as Nigerians are not the main audience I can't see how this will bother the producers.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:21am On Jan 31, 2012
Nnenna1:

Back to the subject of Nollywood - I wonder why no one has thought to toy with Historical Nigerian movies (not pre-colonial though. More like pre or post independence).

I mean who wouldn't want to see a thriller based on Nigeria's first coup, starring actors who will take on the roles of Nzeogwu, Balewa, Ironsi, Gowon, Ojukwu, Awolowo, IBB, etc? Controversial movies like that will sell like hotcake  grin

Agreed.

Sisi, abeg stop hating on Genny! Go and watch Genny in Emerald. her and Majid? kiss
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by madprof(m): 12:21am On Jan 31, 2012
Hmmm.
Well here's the thing: movie production (and casting) has never been about ethnicity or sentiments (not even in Nollywood, where quantity is a lot more importatnt than quality); it's about business. Hollywood didn't become what it is today by sympathizing with mediocrity. In fact, Hollywood today is made up of stakeholders - actors, directors, e.t.c. - many of whom are not American by ancestry. That would not have been if producers insist on casting Americans for "American parts". The guys who adapted this story into a movie thought about it and decided on the choice of Thandie Newton for that part. It's that simple. We should be more concerned with developing Nollywood to become world-class, rather than waiting for hand outs from Hollywood.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Freesia(f): 12:22am On Jan 31, 2012
I bet the producers have their own reasons for casting Thandie,(biz as usual).I guess this will be  more of a Brit Flick than anything else as she isn't that popular in the U.S,more reason why they should have taken a risk and cast an unknown actress of African origin,there must be a few African actresses in the west-end surely

I wonder if they approached Sophie Okenedo who  IMO would have been a better option than Thandie. All in all I'm yet to watch a movie that replicates the book's basic story line, Hollywood or not, producers,directors etc never completely get it right when it comes to" Book to movie" so I will leave Olanna  and Kainene to my imagination!!!
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:23am On Jan 31, 2012
coogar:

the politically unstable nigeria?
mine-ridden fields of congo republic have a better chance. . . .

abeg knowing how much Nigerians like to worship oyibo "visitors", Im sure your yeye president will do whatever he can to put the violence on hold until production is over
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:24am On Jan 31, 2012
madprof, what does Hollywood have to do with this discussion?
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Sagamite(m): 12:25am On Jan 31, 2012
Nnenna1:

Honestly though - I think she will give a cringe-worthy performance. Kinda like how she was in Crash (HORRIBLE African American accent). Ah well, let's see how things go.

I have a feeling that the actors won't lend an authenticity that Nigerians can identify with. However, as Nigerians are not the main audience I can't see how this will bother the producers.

She was nominated for several awards for her role in Crash including NAACP.

Even if she mashes up igbo accent, frankly, most of the people that matter (audiences in Western cinema) will not have a clue or give a shyt.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:26am On Jan 31, 2012
Freesia:

I All in all I'm yet to watch a movie that replicates the book's basic story line,

You people must not watch a lot of movies. undecided
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Freesia(f): 12:28am On Jan 31, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

You people must not watch a lot of movies. undecided

Not as much as I used to smiley
Please name me a few
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:29am On Jan 31, 2012
Sagamite:

My friend. stop lying. what award? all her awards have been token black person awards. awards solely given for being black. That's it. NAACP/BlackImage/etc, na award be that?

I would rather be nominated for an Oscar aka Okenedo or a SAG award than some pity "thank you for putting your black face in this film to make people think it's a diverse movie" award.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:30am On Jan 31, 2012
Freesia:

Not as much as I used to smiley
Please name me a few

why didnt they change the books and have Harry Potter be American? or even Black? cheesy
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Sagamite(m): 12:32am On Jan 31, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

My friend. stop lying. what award? all her awards have been token black person awards. awards solely given for being black. That's it. NAACP/BlackImage/etc, na award be that?

I would rather be nominated for an Oscar aka Okenedo or a SAG award than some pity "thank you for putting your black face in this film to make people think it's a diverse movie" award.

Bafta no be black award na.

Neither is London Film critics award.

Or Screen Actors Guild Award.

And why are you racist against we blacks? cheesy
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Nnenna1(f): 12:32am On Jan 31, 2012
Sagamite:

Even if she mashes up igbo accent, frankly, most of the people that matter (audiences in Western cinema) will not have a clue or give a shyt.

If she was nominated then it was more for the political underpinnings in the movie than her talent (much more lol).

But you're right, the average western viewer wouldn't give a toss about her accent or any of the nuances that would make the movie authentic.

I think a lot of people don't find her that good of an actress though.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Sagamite(m): 12:37am On Jan 31, 2012
Nnenna1:

If she was nominated then it was more for the political underpinnings in the movie than her talent (much more lol).

But you're right, the average western viewer wouldn't give a toss about her accent or any of the nuances that would make the movie authentic.

I think a lot of people don't find her that good of an actress though.

No doubt the fact she is like a stick and light skined makes her appealing/sexy to white boys and might have helped her career in getting good roles.

Oyinbo like pankere body that you will fear the wind will blow the person away, with light skin and bony face.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:39am On Jan 31, 2012
Sagamite:

Bafta no be black award na.

Neither is London Film critics award.

Or Screen Actors Guild Award.

Screen Actor Guild was given to the entire cast of Crash, not just her.

and if anything that movie got awards because it was about racism and by not nominating a movie based on racism, the foreign press would have been seen as racist. Crash was a mediocre movie that was given attention by fake white liberals so as to seem "tolerant"

just like this stupid "The Help" movie

How come you forgot to mention that she received a RAZZIE for Mission Impossible II. cheesy  I dont know any truly talented actress/actor that has received a razzie o. yet na that one you want representing you. O kare!

And why are you racist against we blacks? cheesy

By the time i break that your massive head eh  angry
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by tpia5: 12:44am On Jan 31, 2012
Can any of you even name a movie Thandie has been in? 

she was with will smith in pursuit of happyness [that was the first time i heard of her and i may have even posted a review here- not sure].

then she acted with chiwetel in 2012 as the president's daughter.

not sure why she and chiwetel are following each other around.

they're certainly no julia roberts and richard gere, imo.

if dem wan marry make dem marry- or is one of them not getting the message.
Re: Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) by Sagamite(m): 12:46am On Jan 31, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

How come you forgot to mention that she received a RAZZIE for Mission Impossible II. cheesy  I dont know any truly talented actress/actor that has received a razzie o. yet na that one you want representing you. O kare!

You are a bloody liar!

What about Madonna, Jennifer Lopez, Jenny McCarthy and Paris Hilton?

ThiefOfHearts:

By the time i break that your massive head eh  angry

Racist trying to disparage our own black brothers and sisters awards.

Working for the whiteman to bring us down.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 / Big Brother Naija Pornography: Nigerians Are All Hypocrites - Gochu Enwereji / 33years Later: Do You Remember These People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.