Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,381 members, 7,864,742 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 05:25 AM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (597) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8877772 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (594) (595) (596) (597) (598) (599) (600) ... (14218) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 11:56pm On Nov 27, 2013
leggo:
cleverley retweeted it.. lol at the swipe at Ando

Lol. Datz nt d real cleverley o
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chic2pimp(m): 12:01am On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

tell us how figo was barca's best player in year 2000 when rivaldo was the reigning world player of the year.

Yes Rivaldo was the reigning world player of the year and yes he was their best player in 1999 . However Figo won the Ballon D'or in the calendar year being discussed here(shoulda won the FIFA Award too). So Yes He was infact Barca's best player in the year 2000.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chrisley024(m): 12:04am On Nov 28, 2013
Oghos1: Giggs. 92% pass completion. Upon all d long balls he attempted. I knew he was good but he shocked d hell outa me 2day.

Leverkusen are not a bad side. Far from it. They just got their tactics and strategies horribly wrong today.

They played right into moyes' hands. Blame it on their coach's relative inexperience.

They played a very narrow 4 3 3. Once united contained their strikers.( Sidney sam's absence made it even easier). D midfield was no problem.

Giggs n jones + kagawa and occasionally rooney shut down the midfield. It was basically a 4 v 3 situation.

And rooneys workrate ensured he could track back and still join d attack with ease.

The fact that emre can, a mid fielder was played as left back didn't help either. It was costly. His lack of defensive awareness cost them d 1st goal. He was completely unaware of valencia's presence and even docked, thinking rooney's cross would go out for a goal kick

And once they came all out, playing the risky defensive highline in d process, it went from bad to worse cuz they were outnumbered in midfield.

We should not forget to hail Evans for d@ blocked shot in d early minute of 1st half. Could have changed d tone of d game
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:06am On Nov 28, 2013
chic2pimp:

Yes Rivaldo was the reigning world player of the year and yes he was their best player in 1999 . However Figo won the Ballon D'or in the calendar year being discussed here(shoulda won the FIFA Award too). So Yes He was infact Barca's best player in the year 2000.

rivaldo won the award in december 1999, figo joined madrid in july 2000. how then is figo their best player before he left barca?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chic2pimp(m): 12:12am On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

rivaldo won the award in december 1999, figo joined madrid in july 2000. how then is figo their best player before he left barca?

Jan 1999- Dec 1999 -> Rivaldo Team's Best Player

Jan 2000 - July 2000 -> Figo Team's Best Player(Performed the better of the two in the second Half of the season)
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 12:14am On Nov 28, 2013
chrisley024:
We should not forget to hail Evans for d@ blocked shot in d early minute of 1st half. Could have changed d tone of d game
yea. He really did well
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 12:17am On Nov 28, 2013
Does not detract from the fact that there are only 2 decent sides in the Bundesliga albeit the 2 clubs are 2 of the very best in Europe ( and yes i do watch the league).

I won't call the league boring and there are lots of technically good players there but physically and tactically they are not as good as they should be
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:21am On Nov 28, 2013
chic2pimp:
Jan 1999- Dec 1999 -> Rivaldo Team's Best Player

so rivaldo was the best player in august 99 till dec '99 whilst figo was the best from jan 2000 till may 2000?

how did you work out figo was the best when rivaldo had 5 months & figo had 5 months. let it be also known zidane won FIFA world player in 2000 whilst figo only got the ballon d'or.

Jan 2000 - July 2000 -> Figo Team's Best Player(Performed the better of the two in the second Half of the season)

even in this period, rivaldo was beasting it. he scored 10 CL goals. scored 3 against porto & twice against chelsea in the 5-1 game @ nou camp.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Purist(m): 12:25am On Nov 28, 2013
Moyes:

"Sometimes Wayne might need to play up front and Shinji will play behind. We have to make sure we have alternatives if Wayne or Robin [van Persie] are injured. Shinji was excellent tonight but he's also good on the left."

I guess this means we'll keep seeing Kagawa on the left than in the hole. undecided
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:32am On Nov 28, 2013
Purist: Moyes:
"Sometimes Wayne might need to play up front and Shinji will play behind. We have to make sure we have alternatives if Wayne or Robin [van Persie] are injured. Shinji was excellent tonight but he's also good on the left."

I guess this means we'll keep seeing Kagawa on the left than in the hole. undecided

i have told you moyes' tongue is permanently buried up rooney's arsë. with tonight's performance, kagawa should forever be the man in the hole. rooney/RVP should fight for the arrowhead or rooney should go left.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by chic2pimp(m): 12:48am On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

so rivaldo was the best player in august 99 till dec '99 whilst figo was the best from jan 2000 till may 2000?

how did you work out figo was the best when rivaldo had 5 months & figo had 5 months. let it be also known zidane won FIFA world player in 2000 whilst figo only got the ballon d'or.

The year in the discussion here is not 1999 however. It's 2000

The First five Rivaldo was the better player, the latter Five Figo was. Let it also be known Zizou winning that award was a farce. Figo was without a shadow of doubt the Best player in the world in 2000.

coogar:
even in this period, rivaldo was beasting it. he scored 10 CL goals. scored 3 against porto & twice against chelsea in the 5-1 game @ nou camp.

Don't let Goals alone fool u. Take the game at Nou Camp for example Figo was just as if not more impressive on the night.

And you really shouldn't be comparing the goal scoring output of a second striker to that of a traditional winger. The second striker will always win.

Still stand by my statement of Figo having the better Year in 2000
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 1:11am On Nov 28, 2013
chic2pimp:
The year in the discussion here is not 1999 however. It's 2000

i am talking year 2000. rivaldo was the reigning ballor d'or, fifa player award & onze d'or when figo moved to madrid. figo only became the most expensive player - he wasn't the best player @ barca by any means.

The First five Rivaldo was the better player, the latter Five Figo was. Let it also be known Zizou winning that award was a farce. Figo was without a shadow of doubt the Best player in the world in 2000.

rivaldo was better throughout 99/2000. figo just rode on the hype that he was world's most expensive player that summer. zidane's award wasn't a farce - he had led france to win euro 2000. it was zidane's france that destroyed figo's portugal that summer.

Don't let Goals alone fool u. Take the game at Nou Camp for example Figo was just as if not more impressive on the night.

rivaldo was the barca kingpin. figo was peripheral. kluivert was even better than figo then.

And you really shouldn't be comparing the goal scoring output of a second striker to that of a traditional winger. The second striker will always win.

so why is isco not scoring as many as ronaldo or why didn't ozil score as many as cristiano?

Still stand by my statement of Figo having the better Year in 2000

zidane & rivaldo were better players that year. figo improved greatly when he joined real madrid but he was peripheral for barcelona.

p.s - have you seen ibime's text-battle?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 5:30am On Nov 28, 2013
chamotex:

Giggs is old but can still produce a moment of magic.
Only thing is he would struggle in a game with a fast tempo...Leverkusen didn't play like that.
As much as I don't want him in the team...the other retards are not doing any better.
Class is permanent.

Which has always been my argument for some certain players...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by BinghiNya(m): 5:57am On Nov 28, 2013
aManFromMars:

grin grin
tv25 AND WR10 know how to do it. Flawless victory, kagawa was top draw, apart from a rio initial slip which was tidied up by evans, the defence was okay. Giggs did his best but we shouldnt get carried away, nani did well, this is what he should be doing but he is never consistent. Moyes will come good.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 8:11am On Nov 28, 2013
coded guy:

I think Anderson is very fit and I was impressed with his cameo. I mean apart from the chance he missed he looked comfortable and mobile in that middle.

I hope Moyes gives him more chances.

My belief is, every player will get a chance to play a run of games - its a long season, injuries and fatigue will also definitely come into play and ensure that this happens.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 8:13am On Nov 28, 2013

There were several stand-out performances in Manchester United’s unusually comfortable hammering of Bayer Leverkusen.

Wayne Rooney with his trio of assists; Jonny Evans with his imperious defensive display and goal; the bounding wide duo of Antonio Valencia and Nani; the hitherto ostracised Shinji Kagawa, freed from the shackles of the left and allowed to roam in his preferred position.

It was an excellent team display, the best United have mustered under David Moyes, with much of the improvement down to a shift in formation resulting from Robin van Persie’s injury: Rooney adopted his central striker’s position, with Kagawa excelling behind and Nani relishing an opportunity that has been strangely absent this season.

But the most significant display was arguably that of Ryan Giggs.

While none of his actions were particularly eye-catching before that delightful assist for Nani’s goal, Giggs’ showing of energy, discipline and leadership was quite astounding for a man about to turn 40.

In two days’ time Giggs will be of an age when most outfield players are either long retired, or knocking about at a far lower level than Europe’s premier club competition; he will be of an age where most of us struggle to get up and down a five-a-side pitch let alone the sizeable BayArena.

The Welshman’s age is often raised when United’s more callow personnel come unstuck under pressure. His poise and calm is lacking among younger team-mates at key moments, a problem seen more frequently this season than in the Fergie era.

To read the full article - http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/giggsy-doing-himself-011208072.html
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 8:31am On Nov 28, 2013
afrodoc: If you want to look at it historically more teams from England have won the European Cup/UCL than German teams. I think the score is 12 to 7 titles and 5 to 3 different clubs both in favour of EPL.

If you want to check more recently e.g last 10yrs 3 different EPL teams Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool have all had MULTIPLE appearances in the final with each winning it once. Last 10 years the score is 3 titles to 1 in favour of the EPL with and its 3 DIFFERENT CLUBS ( showing you the depth)

Even Arsenal our little brother cheesy has been to the final.

Right now Bayern Munich is obviously the best team in Europe but the German league lacks depth in quality

This should settle the argument.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 28, 2013
Rooney on mutv
...even the Bayer centre-half was asking how Giggsy keeps playing so well at his age!"
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 8:39am On Nov 28, 2013
United.

1st team to reach 40 away ucl wins
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 9:36am On Nov 28, 2013
BinghiNya: tv25 AND WR10 know how to do it. Flawless victory, kagawa was top draw, apart from a rio initial slip which was tidied up by evans, the defence was okay. Giggs did his best but we shouldnt get carried away, nani did well, this is what he should be doing but he is never consistent. Moyes will come good.

Nani's display is the best we have had from the left side all season. Our 18 years should be used as an 18 years- scantily. I will suggest we keep using Nani there for now. That position has been one of our weakest, if we have find a solution, then we should keep it rolling with the believe we settled that position. But as you said he has to be consistent. Nani's ability is always there but the execution.

One thing, Phil Jones is improving in every aspect of his midfield game. He doesn't keep his tackles late, he passes well, he drives with the ball down some yards, he covers well for the CBs. He made life easy for Giggs and those behind him. To me, Jones should play in our midfield in big games until the rest improve on their ball winning skills or we buy a very good midfielder.

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 28, 2013
elampiro:

Nani's display is the best we have had from the left side all season. Our 18 years should be used as an 18 years- scantily. I will suggest we keep using Nani there for now. That position has been one of our weakest, if we have find a solution, then we should keep it rolling with the believe we settled that position. But as you said he has to be consistent. Nani's ability is always there but the execution.

One thing, Phil Jones is improving in every aspect of his midfield game. He doesn't keep his tackles late, he passes well, he drives with the ball down some yards, he covers well for the CBs. He made life easy for Giggs and those behind him. To me, Jones should play in our midfield in big games until the rest improve on their ball winning skills or we buy a very good midfielder.
if we keep playing nani on the left, what happens to kagawa when rvp n rooney are fit? undecided
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Leyqute(m): 10:22am On Nov 28, 2013
Oghos1: if we keep playing nani on the left, what happens to kagawa when rvp n rooney are fit? undecided

There is a lot of games to be played. Squad will be rotated.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 10:43am On Nov 28, 2013
Oghos1: if we keep playing nani on the left, what happens to kagawa when rvp n rooney are fit? undecided

rooney should go left when RVP returns. let nani & valencia slug it out on the right. competition brings out the best in wingers. kagawa should be the player in the hole - we have been class each time he's played there.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:55am On Nov 28, 2013

I don't know for sure.

That is the problem. We have players but it sometimes look like we are not a strong team.

To accommodate the three guys, we have to play Rooney or Kagawa on the left. That means our four wingers (Val, Nani, Zaha and Young) have only one position. But sincerely, only Rooney can equal or even better the performance Nani gave on the left.

If I were Moyes, despite having in mind that RVP is my top striker, I would put him on the bench against Totteham with the intention of finding out if Rooney, Kagawa, Valencia and Nani can repeat the flair they had in Germany. If they can't, then use RVP to repair the missing link. If they can, then the next step will be to test the combo of Kagawa and RVP as compared to Kagawa and Rooney. Unlike RVP, Rooney has a way of dropping back to join in the attacking build up, this appears to taking us back to the way we played during the Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez era. Everyone works and have plenty of touching of the ball.

However, no coach will keep Rooney and RVP on the bench, so at the end we are going to have Rooney on the left should Kagawa click in the hole. In the second half yesterday, Kagawa was not as effective until his pass to Rooney that gave us the 4th goal. His direct runs at defenders are what I like most. But I want a couple of matches before I can conclude that the number 10 should be handed to him permanently.

In conclusion, it is always said you don't change a wining team. The only change is how will RVP come in? Should RVP return immediately, it means Nani will be forced out again.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 10:59am On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

rooney should go left when RVP returns. let nani & valencia slug it out on the right. competition brings out the best in wingers. kagawa should be the player in the hole - we have been class each time he's played there.

So we have three or four wingers fighting for one wing?

I can see a situation where there will be players who will be surplus to requirement by January or end of season. Welbeck is already looking like one.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by superstar1(m): 11:00am On Nov 28, 2013
What formation can actually accommodate Rvp Rooney and Kagawa, with Kagawa playing in the hole, his most natural position?

Less tinker with formations a little bit.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 11:03am On Nov 28, 2013
Purist: Moyes:

coogar:

i have told you moyes' tongue is permanently buried up rooney's arsë. with tonight's performance, kagawa should forever be the man in the hole. rooney/RVP should fight for the arrowhead or rooney should go left.

I just feel Moyes is intentionally trying to take a "slow" approach so as not to cause discontent in the ranks - or fallout with the players like AVB at chelsea.
I see a trend:

- Make Rooney "happy" enough and focused more on football than position or competion with RvP so that when he finally starts to play him out of his favored position, there will be little or no trouble from the player himself.

- Give Shinji playing time so he doesn't hand in a request anytime soon. Balance Kagawa's playing time between left and centre-midfield; more on the left initially and then gradual transition to the "hole" - 15/20 mins in some games and then full 90 in some others like we've just seen.

- Similar scenerio too with Hernandez - give him just about enough playing time to keep him content
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by RuuDie(m): 11:07am On Nov 28, 2013
superstar1: What formation can actually accommodate Rvp Rooney and Kagawa, with Kagawa playing in the hole, his most natural position?

The most accomodating formation would be reckon is 4-2-3-1...
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:08am On Nov 28, 2013
More matches will throw up a lot of things.

Meanwhile, goal.com named Giggs as the man of the match.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 11:18am On Nov 28, 2013
superstar1: What formation can actually accommodate Rvp Rooney and Kagawa, with Kagawa playing in the hole, his most natural position?

to accommodate the 3 of them, we have to sacrifice a defender(liverpool) or sacrifice width(diamond formation)

3-4-1-2

---smalling--jones--evans---
valencia--fellaini--carrick--nani
--------shinji kagawa---------
----van persie--rooney-----

4-1-2-1-2

rafael--smalling--evans--evra
------------carrick------------
----cleverley---fellaini-----
-----------kagawa----------
-------RVP---rooney---------
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:18am On Nov 28, 2013
The EUFA official MOTM = Rooney.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by elampiro(m): 11:23am On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

to accommodate the 3 of them, we have to sacrifice a defender(liverpool) or sacrifice width(diamond formation)

3-4-1-2

---smalling--jones--evans---
valencia--fellaini--carrick--nani
--------shinji kagawa---------
----van persie--rooney-----

The above would have been ok, but Carrick and Fellaini can't protect the three man defence.

(1) (2) (3) ... (594) (595) (596) (597) (598) (599) (600) ... (14218) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.