|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,799,947 members, 6,691,959 topics. Date: Tuesday, 25 January 2022 at 06:39 PM
|Health / 15 Reasons To Make A Date With Dates by nature262(m): 4:35pm On Mar 30, 2016|
Dates are those delicious fruits grown in the Northern part of Nigeria and sold on wheel barrows by Hausa men in different parts of Nigeria. In Port Harcourt, it is common to see Hausa men wheeling dates in barrows that also contain Tiger nuts. They are believed to have originated in Iraq. Dates were later introduced into Africa and other continents by traders. From fossil records , it is known that dates have existed for at least 50million years. Dates are a traditional crop in North Africa, Morocco, Iraq and a few other countries. This delicious fruit is mentioned more than 50 times in the Bible and 20 times in the Qur’an. They can take 4 to 8 years after planting to bear fruit.
Dates can be eaten raw or in dishes and snacks. They are cholesterol free ,very low in fat and high in fiber. Dates can be chopped up and used in breads, cookies and chocolate bars as sweeteners . It is one of the sweetest fruits and can be dried and stored for longevity. Dates come in many varieties and even though they are nutritious, the fruit is so small that you’ll need to consume a reasonable quantity to get your daily required nutrients. They are high in sugar content and shouldn’t be consumed as a meal even though it’s a healthy fruit. It isn’t advisable to have more than a handful per day.
BENEFITS OF EATING DATES
Eating dates in moderation can contribute to many health benefits . Below are some of the benefits.
- Dates Naturally Shorten Labor. Surveys carried out have shown that women who ate dates during pregnancy were more dilated upon arrival at the hospital and had shorter labours. Dates seem to have a compound that mimics the hormone called oxytocin which causes contractions. In a survey , the consumption of dates in the last 4 weeks before labor significantly reduced the need for induction of labor and produced a more favourable delivery in the women .
- Cure for Intestinal Disorders. Regular intake of dates helps to inhibit growth of pathological organisms and stimulate the growth of friendly bacteria in the intestines. The nicotine content in dates helps in curing many types of intestinal disorders.
- Weight Gain. If you are thin and want to put on weight, you can eat dates because they are high in calories.
- Cure for Sexual Weakness. Dates have been used as an aphrodisiac for a very long time. For this purpose, dates are usually soaked in goat’s milk overnight and consumed the next morning. This mixture is known to reduce sterility and also increase sperm count and motility.
- Remedy for Intoxication. Dates are used to detoxify the body after over-consumption of alcohol. They provide quick relief and make intoxicated people become sober. When used to overcome hangover, they should be soaked overnight before consumption for a stronger effect.
- Helps maintain a Healthy Heart. When soaked overnight , crushed and consumed, dates have been known to have a positive effect on weak hearts. The potassium in dates have been shown to reduce the risk of stroke and other heart related diseases. Dates also reduce the levels of LDL cholesterol in the body which is a major contributing factor in stroke, heart attacks and heart diseases.
- Night Blindness. When dates are ingested orally, or when the leaves are grounded and rubbed around the eyes, it has been shown to reduce night blindness.
- Reduces the Risk of Abdominal Cancer. Research has shown that dates reduce the risk and impact of abdominal cancer.
- Good Source of Vitamins and Minerals . Dates are a good source of many vitamins like vitamin C, A1, B2,B3, B5, iron, potassium, and sodium.
- Improves Skin Elasticity. Dates contain vitamin C which helps to enhance the skin’s elasticity and makes the skin tender and smooth.
- Anti -Aging Benefits. Dates are known for enriching and replenishing blood , preventing the accumulation of melanin in the blood and preventing fine lines and wrinkles. The vitamin C in the dates also helps resist oxidation.
- Treats Skin Problems. The oil from dates contain anti-microbial properties that make it a perfect massage oil for skin treatment. Date oil regenerates and rejuvenates ageing skin. Dates are rich in vitamin B which is essential for a youthful looking skin . The vitamins in dates can help eradicate skin problems like stretch marks.
- Promotes Digestive health and Relieves Constipation. The fiber content in dates aids regular bowel movements and cleans up the gastrointestinal system, allowing the colon to work at greater levels of efficiency. Dates also reduce the risk of certain conditions like haemorrhoids, colitis and colon cancer. They help relieve diarrhea by providing bulk substance to the bowel movements.
- Reduces Blood Pressure. The magnesium and potassium in dates help lower blood pressure and helps the heart to function well.
- Boosts Health of Nervous system. The potassium in dates promote a healthy and responsive nervous system . It also improves the speed and alertness of brain activity. They are recommended for people that want to keep a sharp mind.
The benefits of eating dates can’t be overemphasized. Care should be taken in selecting the ones to eat. Dates are affordable and can be purchased for as low as 50naira from the Hausa men wheeling them in barrows. The dates sold in supermarkets are already screened and sorted but the ones sold by the Hausa men haven’t. It is advisable to wash them thoroughly before eating them and also open them first to check for fungi spores before consumption. Each date fruit purchased from the Hausa traders should be washed and checked for the visible fungi spores before consumption. Dates infected by the fungi should be discarded to prevent health issues.
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @phmicroscope or click http://www.ph-microscope.com/15-reasons-to-make-a-date-with-dates/ to read more
|Events / Port-harcourt Comedy Club(20th Edition) by nature262(m): 3:05pm On Mar 30, 2016|
Happening live today 30th March, 2016, at The Platinum Club, Hotel Presidential, Port-harcourt by 9pm-11pm.
Featuring: Ambassador Induz, Dan D Humorous and the Host Angel D' Laff and DJ Big Joe on the wheels.
Follow on twitter and Instagram for more entertainment gist @Phmicroscope
|Investment / Re: Managing Your Investments Yourself Or By A Professional, Which Is Better? by nature262(m): 9:21pm On Jul 13, 2013|
can some one pls. suggest a book that deals with how the capital market/ investment works in Nigeria in practical term
please not the ones with plenty theories and calculations. thanks
|Education / Re: Ogugu School SSCE Results, Cancelled After 4 Years by nature262(m): 6:36pm On Feb 28, 2013|
I'm also having same issue with my result from 2005, i used the said result to gain admission into Uniport in 2007 and my set have graduated since 2011 and am still battling with WAEC result. i wasn't informed of this till i went for my result verification. i have written series of letters for revalidation individually and my secondary school has also written to WAEC of which attached copies of my result print out from 2005 which shows the grades and the current print out that has CANCELED written beside all the subjects. i have been going to waec office at regular interval for any update on my result since the last letter from my school was sent to Lagos headoffice. i haven't gotten any reply yet. am still hopefull it would be revalidated but for now my graduation from UNIPORT is on halt.
|Music/Radio / Re: Maxwell Is Coming To Nigeria This Valentine by nature262(m): 4:12pm On Jan 11, 2013|
If u no know who maxwell be abeg pass!! Dat guy and a Valentine's show = perfect combination
|Religion / Re: What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? by nature262(m): 12:22am On Aug 05, 2012|
Adufaye: sori 2 say.....u hv bin brain wash....is it evry tin whitd do we must do....africans hv der own God b4 d white brain wash ddm wit bible. God is a greek creator,if u doubt me google itso do you believe in God or u are just being racial?
|Literature / Re: Crazy Definitions! by nature262(m): 7:19pm On Jun 11, 2011|
Interesting More pls.
|Nairaland / General / Re: Court Denies 13-year-old Bail For Attempting To Kill Olusegun Obasanjo With Sach by nature262(m): 10:17pm On Apr 17, 2011|
The man who threw shoe at former US Pres. Bush only did mouths and was released how much more a 13 year old with sachet water. They should free d boy abeg, he has had enough correction already
|Forum Games / Re: Choose A Location For The Poster Above You by nature262(m): 9:27pm On Jan 02, 2010|
|Art, Graphics & Video / Re: Free Animation Tutorial by nature262(m): 8:40pm On Jan 02, 2010|
am wondering how long its takin u to perfect thing on this tutorial but if you do come thru am in
|Politics / Re: (Updated) 38 Extremists Killed In Clashes In Northern Nigeria (Now 70 People ) by nature262(m): 8:36pm On Dec 29, 2009|
all of this is happening during in this fiestive season
|Nairaland / General / Re: Arts Section on NAIRALAND by nature262(m): 1:34am On Aug 26, 2009|
Whether graceful or violent, classical or modern it is still arts and different people have their preference moreso not everyone on NL is nigerian or nigerian breed and sayin naijas are not into arts is just your opinion
i think arts/graphics are more relative than literature/arts
|Education / Re: Letters To The FG & ASUU by nature262(m): 12:12am On Aug 26, 2009|
that could be a typo so dont bring nigerian university system into that, we are taught better than that even in primary school
|Nairaland / General / Re: Our Police And Illiteracy! by nature262(m): 1:52am On Aug 16, 2009|
I doubt if most of em were thought english or any communication skills,
hear them talk with commercial drivers and you would think it is two area bois yabbing themselves,
they are unlearned but claim right because they have authority, i doubt they know the laws they emforce
|Nairaland / General / Re: Arts Section on NAIRALAND by nature262(m): 12:53am On Aug 16, 2009|
Year i think there should be arts section just like there is grafics/vid. section
i think it would be nice have arts related threads on Nl.
|Forum Games / Re: Corrupt The Wish! (**hella Funny**) by nature262(m): 9:10am On Aug 14, 2009|
Grantd u will dance off beats and on the road without music
if i have bill gate's money
|Forum Games / Re: Corrupt The Wish! (**hella Funny**) by nature262(m): 8:55am On Aug 13, 2009|
Grantd as long u'll remain in a prison cell
i wish for a beach house
|Forum Games / Re: Corrupt The Wish! (**hella Funny**) by nature262(m): 4:34pm On Aug 12, 2009|
Granted u can take a break forever
i wish i were obama
|Literature / Re: Last Moments Of A Thief by nature262(m): 11:56am On Aug 12, 2009|
started well and tragically ended, i wish he woke up and it was just a bad dream cos he only accompanied a bad friend which wasn't enough tragic flaw for the brutal death he got.
Very nice work
|Forum Games / Re: Corrupt The Wish! (**hella Funny**) by nature262(m): 7:22am On Aug 12, 2009|
Grantd but u'll be nabbed and executed on ur first mission
i wish wishes come real
|Forum Games / Re: Corrupt The Wish! (**hella Funny**) by nature262(m): 11:40pm On Aug 11, 2009|
Grantd but thats ur last day on earth
i wish i stop wishing and face reality
|Events / Re: Where You Born In May? Lets Show The World The Stuff We're Made Up Of: by nature262(m): 10:06pm On Aug 11, 2009|
27th may for me
its unique cos i get a public holiday on ma birthday thats childrens day in nigeria
|Culture / Re: Do African's Love Asian People? by nature262(m): 12:36pm On Aug 11, 2009|
So Gabry is an asian
when i started fellowing this thread i though it was just one of ur jokes but now that i know i,d say YOU TOO MUCH!!! And fellowing ur examples and other opinions i,d be more open minded to people and their cultures but defininatly not their religions
|Forum Games / Re: Corrupt The Wish! (**hella Funny**) by nature262(m): 4:19am On Aug 11, 2009|
grantd, but the pair of hands will grow by the side of ur head
i wish i have cabin cruiser
|TV/Movies / Re: Whatever Happened To Coca Cola's Award Winning Adverts by nature262(m): 12:01am On Aug 11, 2009|
I think coca cola still has it (adverts), i,ve seen a new advert apart from the brrr one though not on a nigerian channel but its cool
|TV/Movies / Re: Dead Of Micheal Scorfield. by nature262(m): 11:24pm On Aug 10, 2009|
That rumor has being around for more than a year but lacks an authentic source
@bilqis and e-shez
we no look uche face,
Nls. are fond of hijacking serious thread into trash talking and insult exchanging ones, which is not the best moreso i think the Poster is new, to bash him won't make sence
|TV/Movies / Re: Nigeria Horror Movie Project by nature262(m): 9:48pm On Aug 10, 2009|
Well, goodluck on ur filming, hope it turns out a real
|Forum Games / Re: Add Your "Tongue Twisters" Here! by nature262(m): 6:31pm On Aug 10, 2009|
That wasn't a tongue twista for me i,ve tried it like 20somtin time without twisting ma tongue
|Forum Games / Re: Corrupt The Wish! (**hella Funny**) by nature262(m): 1:41pm On Aug 10, 2009|
Grantd. If u can stand the retaliative beating i heard he is an heavy weight Kickass Boxa
i wish i can watch the fight
|Forum Games / Re: Corrupt The Wish! (**hella Funny**) by nature262(m): 10:02am On Aug 10, 2009|
Grantd but the jet has no landing gear howabout flying to bananas
i wish i owned an estate
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2022 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114