Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State (203041 Views)

Building A 2 Bedroom Flat / Parapet Roofing Support Building In Ebonyi State / Cost Of Building A Four Bedroom Bungalow From Foundation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (55) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by BlackPikiN(m): 10:44pm On Aug 25, 2012
spyder880: wonder how this landlord will not feel like a waterlord grin since his land has been taken over by water

Those are rice fields na.

Why dem go build house for water logged areas. Most places in Ebonyi na rice fields, (flat lands) full am. It iss always good to start the building in the raining season esp in parts on Ebonyi.

Hope I am right Oga sypder
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by Jussi(m): 10:51pm On Aug 25, 2012
Aventures, all is well.
There is enough place for everyone on this forum, thanks for your response.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 11:22pm On Aug 25, 2012
BlackPikiN:

Those are rice fields na.

Why dem go build house for water logged areas. Most places in Ebonyi na rice fields, (flat lands) full am. It iss always good to start the building in the raining season esp in parts on Ebonyi.

Hope I am right Oga sypder

Its too near to the rice field. You are right, there are so many rice fields in that area.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by princeonx: 2:46am On Aug 30, 2012
@spyder:
No updates? Are you sure you will meet the deadline date of this project?
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 4:24pm On Aug 30, 2012
prince_onx: @spyder:
No updates? Are you sure you will meet the deadline date of this project?

Thank you Prince, there are no updates because of some fund transfer issues already being sorted out as we speak. Both me and my client are aware of this delay and we are making efforts to ensure the project gets back on track and hopefully take steps to ensure the lost days are recovered with the aid of advance planning. I am sure we are going to return to site as soon as possible.
Meanwhile, the only positives from this is that as we wait, the exposed soil on the laterite-filled foundation is sinking as more rains fall in the area. We need this to happen so we can add up and compact the soil before commencing German floor on this house. More updates soon.

1 Like

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by Geomac: 4:57pm On Aug 30, 2012
@spyder880
Which is better ceiling before plastering or plastering before ceiling?
Thanks
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 5:10pm On Aug 30, 2012
Geomac: @spyder880
Which is better ceiling before plastering or plastering before ceiling?
Thanks

Do your ceiling first, then plaster. That way, the cracks that will always exist between the wall and the ceiling could be closed with a good plastering job. I am doing a plastering work somewhere, maybe I will post some pictures of what I am saying later.

2 Likes

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by Geomac: 5:27pm On Aug 30, 2012
spyder880:

Do your ceiling first, then plaster. That way, the cracks that will always exist between the wall and the ceiling could be closed with a good plastering job. I am doing a plastering work somewhere, maybe I will post some pictures of what I am saying later.

Thanks man, i will be looking foward to seeing the pictures.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by chuk007(m): 9:20am On Aug 31, 2012
spyder, i have noticed that you often use this type of stone in building than granite or chippings as some call it, can one use these stones and still have the same quality? More light on this.

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by chuk007(m): 9:29am On Aug 31, 2012
and u use this for decking, is it that good? these ar ur pictures and i believe ur hand

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 10:18am On Aug 31, 2012
chuk007: spyder, i have noticed that you often use this type of stone in building than granite or chippings as some call it, can one use these stones and still have the same quality? More light on this.

Thank you for this question, the stones you showed (gravel) are very good for building any type of house, but granite is better. Gravel has been known to pass all stress test conducted on it. But you must use it with caution. In the next stage of our work in this Ebonyi site, we are going to be using washed gravel to avoid those supplies of stone with sand deposits in it.

I intend to do what I normally do in some sites, buy a drum, use a sieving basket and manually wash all the trips of gravel to seperate it from sand and dust. The clean gravel will then be used to do our work. It is more expensive that buying ordinary 'washed' gravel that I cannot guarantee its quality.

Of course granite has more quality than gravel. Granite is stronger, and neater being that it comes without dust or sand mixed with it. The granite is a beauty to behold even looking at it on the ground. I have used granite in some sites, the most recent is the Owerri duplex where 100% of the stone used on the house is granite.

In the end it all boils down to the owner's choice, I always ask which materials my clients require before drawing up my costs then discuss both scenarios with them.

Do not forget that a trip of granite will buy you 3 trips of gravel in many locations. (I was buying each trip for N65k in owerri while gravel sells for an average of N17k in Ebonyi) in some places like Anambra, gravel sells for a lot more, N30k for a trip. In Enugu we buy gravel for N16k and buy granite for N50k. The cost differential is enough to make significant impact on the entire budget.

I must say that if I am the one building my house again, I will still use gravel like I did in my duplex. It is always solid, what builders should mind is the mixing ratio, make sure to increase the cement/sand ratio if you are using gravel, this will compensate for the dust and sand particles mixed in it. Mix very well always, make sure your workers turn the mixture very well, whether its machine mix or manual.

1 Like

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by chuk007(m): 10:51am On Aug 31, 2012
So you ar using gravel 100% in this Ebonyi Project?
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 10:57am On Aug 31, 2012
chuk007: So you ar using gravel 100% in this Ebonyi Project?

Yes, that is the plan.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by Mmiriariugwu: 3:53pm On Aug 31, 2012
Oga spider gud day sir.I've been folowing almost all ur recent topics especialy ur Enugu thread.You r 1 of d reasons i come 2 d property section& always go with somtin from ur profesional analysis.I once asked u 2 get me in ur employ.Am a building technician.pls see how u get me fixed around u. My e-mail is mayorsignature@yahoo.com or 08036771836.Thanx,am xpecting ur response preferable on this thread
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 4:44pm On Aug 31, 2012
Mmiriariugwu: Oga spider gud day sir.I've been folowing almost all ur recent topics especialy ur Enugu thread.You r 1 of d reasons i come 2 d property section& always go with somtin from ur profesional analysis.I once asked u 2 get me in ur employ.Am a building technician.pls see how u get me fixed around u. My e-mail is mayorsignature@yahoo.com or 08036771836.Thanx,am xpecting ur response preferable on this thread

What is your field, Welding, plumbing, electrical or brick laying?
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by Mmiriariugwu: 5:16pm On Aug 31, 2012
spyder880:

What is your field, Welding, plumbing, electrical or brick laying?
I am a qualified mason & i can manage ur building site 4 u cordinating ur directives in ur absence. I understands building drawings
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 5:19pm On Aug 31, 2012
Mmiriariugwu: I am a qualified mason & i can manage ur building site 4 u cordinating ur directives in ur absence. I understands building drawings

Hmmmm, I have up to 4 site supervisors but I think we need to talk soon. I may contact you anytime I have a few hours to spend inside town.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 10:53pm On Aug 31, 2012
Geomac:

Thanks man, i will be looking foward to seeing the pictures.

from our diary in the ceiling/plastering job comes these pictures

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 11:11pm On Aug 31, 2012
@ Geomac, these are the gaps between walls and the ceiling I was talking about

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by kkonsults: 9:13am On Sep 01, 2012
Welldone @Spyder
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 9:58am On Sep 01, 2012
kkonsults: Welldone @Spyder

Thank you sir, how work? Still hoping to contact you to finish up our runs and start another one.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by Geomac: 12:22pm On Sep 01, 2012
@spyder880,
Thank you very much. I will show my men these 2 pictures.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 10:10pm On Sep 03, 2012
Work will commence in full in this site from this week. The delays we experienced last week has been cleared. We shall deploy to site and commence serious work such that by the next two weeks, we shall not be looking down to see the pictures of this house, we shall be looking up as the walls climbcheesy
More updates later.

2 Likes

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 12:40pm On Sep 06, 2012
We are starting to shift materials into this site from tomorrow. This is in preparation for the resumption of full construction. My workers will start to move in stages from this weekend as work is about to be restarted.
As we are planning to mold blocks here, we are going to need many trips of sand. As such more sand has been ordered, ditto cement. More updates as we prepare.

1 Like

Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by bugmenot: 3:30pm On Sep 07, 2012
Where do you guys store your materials on site? Especially in sparsely developed locations, and what do you do to ensure they are secured?
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 4:36pm On Sep 07, 2012
bugmenot: Where do you guys store your materials on site? Especially in sparsely developed locations, and what do you do to ensure they are secured?

Thank you for this question, in my negotiation with my clients, I make sure I demand for two things, one is a store room where I can pack materials like cement and other "dry" space materials. In this store will also be the tools and fittings needed for the job. The room should always be locked and the key will be with my trusted supervisor on site with constant checks by me. (You saw the number we wrote on the cement stock a few pages back, to enhance accountability)

Another thing I ask for is a room where my workers will be sleeping, I prefer this resting room to be very close to the store room, like next door so my men can keep an eye on the materials store.

In sites far from occupied homes, I will ask my client to construct or fund the construction of a two room wooden work house where the above activities are done right inside the site. (Like in the Owerri project) we are loosening the wood in the Owerri project to use in the building now as my men can sleep inside the down portion now.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 7:15pm On Sep 07, 2012
We now have about 4 trips of sand in this site, supplied today. More supplies are to be shifted by this weekend. The priority is to get block makers involved by Monday while my worker that arrived today coordinate things in preparation. The full team will move in by Monday next week. More pictures by tomorrow or next.
I still believe I can close the gap and deliver the house at the agreed date if funding is sustained. One thing I am sure of, this house will be very beautiful.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by bugmenot: 7:26pm On Sep 07, 2012
spyder880:

Thank you for this question, in my negotiation with my clients, I make sure I demand for two things, one is a store room where I can pack materials like cement and other "dry" space materials. In this store will also be the tools and fittings needed for the job. The room should always be locked and the key will be with my trusted supervisor on site with constant checks by me. (You saw the number we wrote on the cement stock a few pages back, to enhance accountability)

Another thing I ask for is a room where my workers will be sleeping, I prefer this resting room to be very close to the store room, like next door so my men can keep an eye on the materials store.

In sites far from occupied homes, I will ask my client to construct or fund the construction of a two room wooden work house where the above activities are done right inside the site. (Like in the Owerri project) we are loosening the wood in the Owerri project to use in the building now as my men can sleep inside the down portion now.

Thanks for your prompt response, Spyder. Makes absolute sense. Can you give me a rough estimate of what it might cost to construct this two-room work house and possibly how long it takes? I think I might be needing one soon.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by nelsonboi: 7:37pm On Sep 07, 2012
Spyder. you are absolute doing a good job here Can you give me a rough estimate break down cost to construct a two story building of 6flats, 3bed rooms in each flat? I think I might be needing one soon. just by starting up with foundation then others steps can follow up bit by bit.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 8:04pm On Sep 07, 2012
bugmenot:

Thanks for your prompt response, Spyder. Makes absolute sense. Can you give me a rough estimate of what it might cost to construct this two-room work house and possibly how long it takes? I think I might be needing one soon.

Send me your email add.
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by bugmenot: 8:12pm On Sep 07, 2012
spyder880:

Send me your email add.

infinity_ng AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk
Re: Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex In Ebonyi State by spyder880(m): 8:12pm On Sep 07, 2012
nelsonboi: Spyder. you are absolute doing a good job here Can you give me a rough estimate break down cost to construct a two story building of 6flats, 3bed rooms in each flat? I think I might be needing one soon. just by starting up with foundation then others steps can follow up bit by bit.

Have you drawn a building plan?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (55) (Reply)

Calculating The Numbers Of Blocks You Need For Your Fence / Parapet, Concrete Fascia, and other roofing styles. / Best Of Price On Tiles,water Closet,pipes And Fitting Free Home Delivery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.