Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,045 members, 7,838,641 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago (24891 Views)

A Nairalander's Comment In Politics Makes A Full Page Advert In The Guardian / Trinidad And Tobago Deports 28 Ex-Niger Delta Militants / Buhari's Comment In Hausa And The True Translation ( No Blood Mentioned ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by ballabriggs: 9:54am On Aug 04, 2012
Stiv: In their morbid hatred for Mr. President, people forget that Malcolm X and Martin Luther King gave similar statements. This is a wake-up call. Asia is up, South America is waking, and Africa is still sleeping. And people are against his statements? Rubbish!!!

This is a distortion of what those guys stood for! Those guys called for 'equality and diversity' and not the dominance of one race over the other now or in the future.

It is absolutely disgusting that the President of Nigeria whose country is made up of different races would make such a statement.
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by rusher14: 9:55am On Aug 04, 2012
ekt_bear: So what I now wonder is, why did I have the impression that T&T was a majority black country?

I guess almost all of the trinis I meet are black, not Indian...so I had the wrong idea.

Hrm, interesting.
Now you know (Think Nicki Minaj).
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by yam: 9:56am On Aug 04, 2012
omo_to_dun: The Nigerian president should have made the statement indirectly, employing subtlety and diplomacy, like Americans do.

Americans are livid and fearful that their influence in the world is decreasing and that their standing is tenuous. Of course, every country aspires to be amongst the world powers; particularly, every country wants to be the world power; but never had I, until now, heard (or read) that any human, apart from Hitler, directly communicated his desire to rule the world. That simply smells like fascism.

Consequently, the powers that be will be even more aggressive in making sure that no third world country ever tastes power, no matter how minute.

I do not blame President Jonathan because Nigerians are politically incorrect people.The president would probably be wondering why folks are getting mad at his comments!

The office of the president is just too big for him. i cant stop smiling and i am sure his advisers are telling him the same,lol
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by Gbawe: 9:56am On Aug 04, 2012
We need to put issues in perspective. Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Adewale Hamza (and now Winston or Marley) Jonathan is just being his simple self trying to ingratiate himself with his current host using his usual fawning sycophancy. His intention is not to be racist or offensive. He is just saying what he believes his host wants to hear without possessing the exposure or intelligence to consider the wider implication of his words. This is what GEJ does best i.e deploying rudimentary spin with insincere talk he does not mean.

To poor Nigerians, and to appear as one of them, he was "without shoes" in the past. To South Western folks within Nigeria, he is their 'liberator' from "rascals". To T and T folks, he is their 'Marcus Garvey' from Nigeria never mind that his racially and religiously nuanced talk disenfranchises non-Christians and all those who are not "black men" yet are very proud Trinidadians. A modern, balanced, liberal and well-exposed President has no business being this 'simple' , to the point of needlessly causing offence and controversy, but alas that is what Nigeria has to offer the world.

With that in mind, make una allow our President. One fine day when the OBJs, IBBs, Ciromas and Anenihs are gone and their machinations is no more Nigeria will, like other African Nations, get a President who prepared, by his own deliberate efforts, to be President. Till then, let us enjoy the gaffes of this self-admitted mediocrity placed far above his station by 'interest groups'.

4 Likes

Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by lynxpro(m): 9:58am On Aug 04, 2012
The only fierce attackers I've seen so far are nairalanders. And besides, who's not trying to dictate the world's pace at the moment?...Americans? Chinese? Russians? Germans?....so what's wrong with the call for a blackman to join the race?....abegi free the guy jare!

1 Like

Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by Biggyd2: 9:59am On Aug 04, 2012
Below are some of the comments made under that article. Nigerians, I am sure, aren't the people talking now. Maybe David Mark will go and gag them all. Wonder what the government's new rottweiler has to say about this one. What about Ruby, was he not on hand?

[b]'s
insanitydebate 90p · 2 days ago
[/b]Sure! Open up the borders and allow every country to send their represenatitives to emancipate the tax payers hard earned money! Nigerians are the biggest Scam/con artists' in on the globe right now! those of you who don't know= search 419 internet scams on the internet..then, see whether you'll want to have a few nigerians in your home as an "Emancipated" brother.
25 replies · active 1 day ago
+101

[b]pulls 112p · 2 days ago
[/b]What utterly racist rubbish is Goodluck talking? Can you imagine what people's reaction would be if a white leader said he wants to see the White man on top? Could you imagine what the reaction would be if Kamla comes out and says her dream is for Indians to rule the world? This is what we bring down the Nigerian President for? To talk such racist rubbish? The fact that Kamla readily agrees with this kind of thinking speaks volumes.
54 replies · active 19 hours ago

[b]JoeKoTi 79p · 2 days ago
[/b]Gasoline and fuel oil is free for the taking in Nigeria. Some $380 billion has so far been estimated to have been delivered to the chosen. Also flash-cooked and char-broiled meat is also available sometimes using the same oil and gas. Puts T&T to shame compared with Nigerian ingenuity. Free money is also touted to be available via the internet from Nigerian entrepreneurs.
+26

[b]frankazar750 87p · 2 days ago
[/b]This comment has been deleted by the administrator.
9 replies · active 1 day ago
+37
Bacteriocidal -89p · 2 days ago
I think this man is living in the century that went by.
punkalunks 124p · 2 days ago
I now remember Moonilal promise we land some time ago. He say he go gih de landless land ........... Good luck to all ah dem politicians an' dey promises.
+23
[b]
grenitrini 102p · 2 days ago
[/b]Empty rhetoric. What nonsense he talking about "the black man will be on top and dominate the world" No human can do this without problems. That issuch a politically incorrect statement for a president of a country to make. They here to hoodwink Trinis just like Kamla.
3 replies · active 9 hours ago

[b]Herein_Now 98p · 2 days ago
[/b]It is times like this that you brace yourself for the PM announcing that a CAL route will be established between Trinidad and Nigeria. The London route has started..not sure how her decisions with respect to India and Panama are coming along.

I wonder if the Nigerian Expats will be involved in Deep sea exploration? Just what is the basis for exchange between the two countries under consideration......employment for locals in Nigeria? Future based upon GoodLuck.

Despite whatever negatives be said, they are a very strict, disciplined lot... strong-willed....most times carrying a bright smile.
8 replies · active 1 day ago
+18

[b]Rokerry1 118p · 2 days ago
[/b]That speech has a load of contentious issues.
3 replies · active 1 day ago
+28

[b]ORIGINALPRINCE 105p · 2 days ago
[/b]It would appear that the resident Nigerian High Commissioner either did not brief his President or was not privy to the remarks that he would deliver to a national audience in a multi-ethnic, multi-religious society.

I don't want to rain on Goodluck's parade, but when I see him help the Zimbabwean people emancipate themselves from his fellow leader Mugabe, then I'll take him seriously.

Trinidad & Tobago is a cosmopolitan country and a plural society. While I can understand some over-exuberance, for an invited leader on a State visit to make the following divisive statement is rather inappropriate: ""The Emancipation march today is not to take all the people of Trinidad and Tobago to the promised land, but to take the black man to the promised land," he said."

When I suggested that people must not dwell on the past, but concentrate on the present and look to the future, I was srongly criticized. Now we have the Nigerian President making the same point and he is applauded.

"We must put this history behind us and go forward," he said.
38 replies · active 17 hours ago
+22

[b]Rescolaclement 113p · 2 days ago
[/b]This comment has been deleted by the administrator.
10 replies · active 1 day ago
+3
south_man 112p · 2 days ago
This comment has been deleted by the administrator.
2 replies · active 2 days ago
+20

[b]ORIGINALPRINCE 105p · 2 days ago
[/b]Eric Williams:

"There can be no Mother India for those whose ancestors came from India. There can be no Mother Africa for those of African origin. There can be no Mother England and no dual loyalties. There can be no Mother China even if one could agree as to which China is the Mother; and there can be no Mother Syria and no Mother Lebanon. A nation, like an individual, can have only one Mother and Mother cannot discriminate between her children.’
10 replies · active 1 day ago
+12

[b]westindiansaus 100p · 2 days ago
[/b]That is what I am keep saying we are Trinis, forget the race thing focus on economic development and diversification all this race talk only benefits the politicians who continue to deliver poor governance.

After all these years people still do not understand what Dr. Williams was trying to tell them. At the end of the day we are all one people, one nation.

There can be no Mother India for those whose ance stors came from India. There can be no Mother Africa for those of African origin. There can be no Mother England and no dual loyalties. There can be no Mother China even if one could agree as to which China is the Mother; and there can be no Mother Syria and no Mother Lebanon. A nation, like an individual, can have only one Mother and Mother cannot discriminate between her children.’
4 replies · active 1 day ago

humour_guyl 14p · 2 days ago
[/b]Teach every generation of black children black history and make sure self pity is induced so that they could grieve for what no longer exists and continue to wear shackles.

btw..Pwomised land for any black man is 'merica...him want no odder place.
2 replies · active 1 day ago
+31

[b]westindiansaus 100p

2 Likes

Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by Mrchippychappy(m): 10:06am On Aug 04, 2012
lynxpro: The only fierce attackers I've seen so far are nairalanders. And besides, who's not trying to dictate the world's pace at the moment?...Americans? Chinese? Russians? Germans?....so what's wrong with the call for a blackman to join the race?....abegi free the guy jare!

The difference is those countries you mentioned did NOT openly call for DOMINANCE . Sure they are working towards dominating the world (China are on the verge of doing tha) but at least they concealed their intention . I am in total support of black empowerment and domination , i mean we can't always be at the bottom of the "food chain" , we need a say in this world too don't we ? But we should use words such as "dominance" behind closed doors . When an american president says american wants to maintain "partnership" with Africa they actually mean american wants to continue their dominance of Africa grin . Same words , different meanings , different intentions .
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by itsme2(m): 10:06am On Aug 04, 2012
Am really tryin nt 2 mk ds an issue. But, seriously, Gej is d f*!kng president of the largest black nation on earth! Nt d Chairman of Otueke landlord association!. He shud av been enlightened or better still educated enof nt 2 mk such insensitive speech in a multiracial country in whatevr guise...another + for Emperor Jonathan! Mtsheeew!

2 Likes

Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by y2kaustin(m): 10:06am On Aug 04, 2012
ekt_bear: What is wrong with his statement? What is racist about it?
,..Laptop No.15,reportin 4 duty!,stil expectin back up,4rm d rest squad members
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by Biggyd2: 10:08am On Aug 04, 2012
Someone should please tell the President that THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING US. Go Keep your house(Nigeria) in order, before you go out to make such statements. Nigerians have not been emancipated from the shackles of Boko Haram, insecurity, corruption and the endless list in a bad government. I hope though that you are back and have taken stock. Now start doing the talk!
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by lynxpro(m): 10:10am On Aug 04, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:

The difference is those countries you mentioned did NOT openly call for DOMINANCE . Sure they are working towards dominating the world (China are on the verge of doing tha) but at least they concealed their intention . I am in total support of black empowerment and domination , i mean we can't always be at the bottom of the "food chain" , we need a say in this world too don't we ? But we should use words such as "dominance" behind closed doors . When an american president says american wants to maintain "partnership" with Africa they actually mean american wants to continue their dominance of Africa grin . Same words , different meanings , different intentions .

I feel you jare....but right now we have a presido that does not give a damn.....so we all might as well not give a damn about diplomacy. Lol
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by charlycocky: 10:11am On Aug 04, 2012
GEJ's has not said anytin bad,it is a crime for black to take the control of the world,what is so special abt dis white dog.
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by jmaine: 10:12am On Aug 04, 2012
y2kaustin: ,..Laptop No.15,reportin 4 duty!,stil expectin back up,4rm d rest squad members

You called Ekt_bear Laptop ==> 15 . . . . Lol . . . cheesy . . .

Honestly, learn to air your views and forget this stale laptop mantra . .it enforces the image of foolishness on seeming intelligent folks . .

#Just advicing
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by pharmow: 10:13am On Aug 04, 2012
omo_to_dun: The Nigerian president should have made the statement indirectly, employing subtlety and diplomacy, like Americans do.

Exactly my sentiment. The statement is not as bad as you people are taking it
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 04, 2012
where is rossik to endorse cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by Nobody: 10:16am On Aug 04, 2012
...How GEJ underdeveloped Nigeria...
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by Biggyd2: 10:16am On Aug 04, 2012
kingoflag: LMAO GEJ o. . . .

I'm sure when he was practicing what to say in the mirror of his bedroom he was telling his wife : " Payshence, u go see, after this spish efribodi in the world go dey compare me to Malcolm X and Mandela"

If only he knew he was gonna be compared to Hitler. undecided

OMG. Can't stop laughing at the bolded! Gosh!!!
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by Nobody: 10:17am On Aug 04, 2012
Na wa o! Another reason for Americans (the major sponsors of bh) to increase more funding so as to bring nigeria down
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by Remii(m): 10:17am On Aug 04, 2012
ndu_chucks:

I thought a blackman is already at the top and can dictate to the rest of the world. abi Obama is now a Korean ni? GEJ needs a new PR crew.

what can good pr and script writer do to control spontaneous comment from a phd holder, are they going to plug cable to his mind to screen every word before he lets them out? They can only prepare speech for him, side comment and follow up responses are entirely under his control

TOPIC: Thabo Mbeki, Emperor Haile Selassie have made similar comment before, nothing go happen wey don pass wetin don happen before.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by donsax: 10:19am On Aug 04, 2012
Pk001:

Ask them o!

Maybe some people don't understand what a racist statement is.
This is just a motivational statement calling on the blacks to rise to the position of leadership in the globe.

I wonder how the statement is racist when it is not castigating any race.

I really love the way they were hailing GEJ in Trinidad and Tobago
hailing GEJ! You aint checking there comment! The mob of T&T would have stone GEJ to death if allowed.

1 Like

Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by eamah: 10:21am On Aug 04, 2012
I don't see anything wrong with what he said. This is actually the first time I have heard him been outspoken instead of leaking and dick_riding the United states and their European counterpart..
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by Detongue: 10:23am On Aug 04, 2012
ekt_bear: What is wrong with his statement? What is racist about it?

nothing wrong, GEJ was on point
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by eamah: 10:29am On Aug 04, 2012
Exactly this is the first time he's making sense in public.
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by ANYPEN(m): 10:30am On Aug 04, 2012
GEJ has been making blunders long before now & we've been trying to correct him on forums like this but he wouldn't listen.
Now, he is stepping out with his foolishness & the whole nigeria will be partly resposible for his blunders.
If you're not a nigerian please don't be too offended by his comments because he doesn't know what he says. I tell you, he is just a common illiterate & that's what we've been dealing with for more than two years now.

GEJ what do you know about power?
What do you know about blacks?
What do you know about whites?
Do you know what the word "dictate" means?
When we talk about racism, do you think it is just a one way word, always meaning whites against blacks?

GEJ, you're a shame!!!

2 Likes

Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by eamah: 10:40am On Aug 04, 2012
ANY-PEN :
GEJ has been making blunders long before now & we've been trying to correct him on forums like this but he wouldn't listen.
Now, he is stepping out with his foolishness & the whole nigeria will be partly resposible for his blunders.
If you're not a nigerian please don't be too offended by his comments because he doesn't know what he says. I tell you, he is just a common illiterate & that's what we've been dealing with for more than two years now.

GEJ what do you know about power?
What do you know about blacks?
What do you know about whites?
Do you know what the word "dictate" means?
When we talk about racism, do you think it is just a one way word, always meaning whites against blacks?

GEJ, you're a shame!!!

Hey bro, I might not be in support of GEJ in the past, but this time around, I think you're the one that should be ashamed. Tell me what's wrong with anything he said or has your hatred overcome your rationality.

1 Like

Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by Leemak: 10:42am On Aug 04, 2012
where ar d 40 laptops to defend dis senseless mr retardeen GEJ?....
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by yohannazack(m): 10:44am On Aug 04, 2012
Hahahaha, waiyo allah, chai! No be him fault o, na too much cassava inside his brain. Haba gudlocky. May dis guy no cus world-war3 fo us o. Ah me i no ready fo onyibo war o. Hahahah, cassava de wok, cassava de wok
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by member479760: 11:04am On Aug 04, 2012
Kennyblues: President Goodluck Jonathan has come under a fierce attack due to his recent comment in Trinidad and Tobago and he was quoted saying " Emancipation struggle is necessary so that one day the black man will also be at the top and can dictate to the rest of the world"...GEJ

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/_Promised_land_for_the_black_man_-164690996.html

What did you expect to come out from drunk man?
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by 4Play(m): 11:06am On Aug 04, 2012
It's obvious our President is a pot smoking im-becile. He shouldn't be allowed to do any foreign trips again until he retires.
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by Pukkah: 11:06am On Aug 04, 2012
This reminds me of his many other statements like 'I don't give a damn', 'if they criticize me from head to toe', 'me I don't have voice' statements.

President Jonathan is very clumsy when it comes to giving speeches, especially impromptu, public speeches. This has made me question his background as a former lecturer and a Phd holder. He is unable to gather his thoughts and deliver them in a clear, succinct manner. If he can't overcome this weakness then he should talk much less. Else, he will continue to say what he doesn't mean and use words which don't really convey his thoughts. Overall, he is just being himself - a man cannot give what he doesn't have.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by WuzilistiQ(m): 11:12am On Aug 04, 2012
I just ask the formal House of reps member (Hon. Patrick) and this is what he has to say :- The Racial sensitivity has become a psychological impediment, which has lead to the mental derail and ''dehumanize'' the thoughts of a human-being to become ''Hubris'' on the grounds of political socialization, so i belive that the media Hoax is the crux of the matter because my president is a man to be held for his total nobility in serving his Nation cheesy
Re: GEJ's Racist Comment In Trinidad And Tobago by maclatunji: 11:16am On Aug 04, 2012
LOL, when we tell you this man doesn't "have it", they say we are haters. What an unenlightened speech!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Umahi Ask Judge To Withdraw His Motion For A Stay Of Execution / Obi's Budget In 2009 For Governor's Office Was Higher That Health And Education / Osun State Declares 27th October Public Holiday To Mark Islamic New Year.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.